News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US-127 St Johns to Ithaca

Started by Terry Shea, April 11, 2010, 10:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Shea

I traveled on this non-freeway portion of the highway last night, and I was amazed to see that they had raised the speed limit along this stretch from 55 to 65 MPH.  Did Michigan change the law regarding speed limits on non-freeways?  Have they/are they doing this with other highways?  I take it this is their "fix" solution in lieu of converting this stretch to a full freeway.  A much cheaper solution I must admit.

rawmustard

There was a study and review done over the last three years. MDOT will still be acquiring property for an eventual freeway conversion, and as of yet I haven't seen anything indicating they'll raise the speed of other non-freeway segments. But this instance gives me hope that they might.

leifvanderwall

The divided highways down south such in Florida & Georgia are up to 60 or 65. I really hope the non-freeway portion between Ithaca & St Johns is turned to freeway very soon. Maybe a future interstate destination? Any predictions out there?

bulldog1979

Quote from: leifvanderwall on April 11, 2010, 06:19:47 PM
The divided highways down south such in Florida & Georgia are up to 60 or 65. I really hope the non-freeway portion between Ithaca & St Johns is turned to freeway very soon. Maybe a future interstate destination? Any predictions out there?

*IF* it were to be redesignated as an Interstate, the number is already picked: I-73. Of course that depends on Ohio building their section, and either conversion of the US 223 corridor and the US 127 corridor south of Jackson, or duplexes on US 23 and I-94 to US 127. Either way, I peg that redesignation as unlikely for the time being.

Hellfighter

MDOT's raising speed limits across the state. M-59 between I-94 and M-53 is going up from 50 to 55 MPH

rawmustard

Quote from: Hellfighter on April 11, 2010, 09:47:48 PM
MDOT's raising speed limits across the state. M-59 between I-94 and M-53 is going up from 50 to 55 MPH

MDOT's even holding public fora tonight and tomorrow for raising the limits on Westnedge and Park in Kalamazoo. Although I admit 40 is kinda wonky unless the city of Portage also raises its portion of Westnedge to that limit.

leifvanderwall

I think Westnedge needs more than a speed limit adjustment. I do agree with the 40 mph assessment. However, Westnedge needs to be repaved from Downtown K'zoo to I-94.

Hellfighter

I'm still waiting for them to raise the Lodge, I-75, and I-96 in the city of Detroit to 70 MPH

The Premier

Quote from: Hellfighter on April 12, 2010, 06:53:49 PM
I'm still waiting for them to raise the Lodge, I-75, and I-96 in the city of Detroit to 70 MPH

I don't see that happening. You'll be lucky if it goes up to 60 or even 65 mph.
Alex P. Dent

InterstateNG

Chrysler Freeway is already posted at 70.
I demand an apology.

Hellfighter

Quote from: InterstateNG on April 12, 2010, 09:46:18 PM
Chrysler Freeway is already posted at 70.

Well, it is until E. Grand Blvd, and then it drops to 55.

leifvanderwall

I really disagree with the freeways in Detroit being 70 mph or even 60 mph. Especially in the middle of winter.

Hellfighter

Quote from: leifvanderwall on April 13, 2010, 04:37:31 PM
I really disagree with the freeways in Detroit being 70 mph or even 60 mph. Especially in the middle of winter.

Most of the drivers out there would disagree with you.

Brandon

Quote from: Hellfighter on April 13, 2010, 04:47:15 PM

Most of the drivers out there would disagree with you.

Agreed.  They ought to be 70mph IMHO.  Shoot most folks go faster than that already.
Now if only we could get IDiOT do to the same thing in Chicago...
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Hellfighter

Just heard that MDOT is raising the speed limit on that section of M-14 around Barton Dr from 55 to 65.

rawmustard

Quote from: Hellfighter on April 13, 2010, 05:46:36 PM
Just heard that MDOT is raising the speed limit on that section of M-14 around Barton Dr from 55 to 65.

Might as well post a link to the article.

leifvanderwall

QuoteMost of the drivers out there would disagree with you.
Not unless there is a heavy amount of sleet, ice, and snow.

Hellfighter

Quote from: leifvanderwall on April 13, 2010, 09:35:39 PM
QuoteMost of the drivers out there would disagree with you.
Not unless there is a heavy amount of sleet, ice, and snow.

Then we get what they call a pileup!

wh15395

Quote from: Brandon on April 13, 2010, 05:01:31 PM
Agreed.  They ought to be 70mph IMHO.  Shoot most folks go faster than that already.
Now if only we could get IDiOT do to the same thing in Chicago...
Same with Indianapolis. 55mph is ridiculous when everyone goes between 65 and 75

Tom

I first noticed the higher speed limit between St. Johns and Ithaca on September 4th while driving to the MSU/WSU football game.  When freeway driving, I set my cruise control to 100 k.p.h (about 62 m.p.h.) to save on gas, so now I don't have to reduce speed and reset the cruise on that part of US-127.  I have to admit, however, that the so-called energy "crisis" was kind of a blessing in disguise, because it did reduce the number of traffic accidents.  As far as raising Michigan's freeway speed limit back to 70 m.p.h., I am very skeptical about it.  I could see raising it to 60 or maybe even 65 m.p.h., but I think traffic accidents have increased at the 70 limit. :coffee:

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Tom on September 18, 2010, 07:56:17 AM
I first noticed the higher speed limit between St. Johns and Ithaca on September 4th while driving to the MSU/WSU football game.  When freeway driving, I set my cruise control to 100 k.p.h (about 62 m.p.h.) to save on gas, so now I don't have to reduce speed and reset the cruise on that part of US-127.  I have to admit, however, that the so-called energy "crisis" was kind of a blessing in disguise, because it did reduce the number of traffic accidents.  As far as raising Michigan's freeway speed limit back to 70 m.p.h., I am very skeptical about it.  I could see raising it to 60 or maybe even 65 m.p.h., but I think traffic accidents have increased at the 70 limit. :coffee:

How about a compromist 70 mph during daytime and 60 mph for nighttime? Or 60 mph during the winter.

rawmustard

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on September 21, 2010, 05:12:42 PM
How about a compromist 70 mph during daytime and 60 mph for nighttime? Or 60 mph during the winter.

Except in Michigan it isn't necessary to set a separate winter or night maximum speed because of basic speed law.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.