News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Northeast / Re: General PA Design/Construc...
Last post by 74/171FAN - Today at 07:26:50 PM
PennDOT - District 8 News: Shapiro Administration Previews 2024 Construction Season in Southcentral PA

Quote�More than 100 projects expected to begin or continue in the region

At an event today, Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) District 8 officials highlighted more than 80 road and bridge projects expected to be bid this year in the eight-county southcentral Pennsylvania region, reflecting an estimated investment of $257 million. Governor Shapiro's commitment to delivering safe highways and bridges across the Commonwealth remains a top priority. These investments support the Shapiro administration's vision of a safe and reliable transportation network that connects Pennsylvanians to greater opportunity.

Governor Shapiro's 2023-24 budget secured $125 million to fully leverage federal Bipartisan Infrastructure Law investments and improve Pennsylvania's roads and bridges. The investment is made possible by decoupling Pennsylvania State Police funding from the Motor License Fund and is the first year of the Governor's four-year proposal to invest an additional $1.25 billion in the state's infrastructure. Statewide in 2023, 684 bridges went out for bid to be repaired, replaced, or preserved and 7,011 roadway miles were improved by department or partner crews.

"PennDOT will continue to improve the transportation network in southcentral Pennsylvania," said District 8 Executive Kevin Keefe. "The additional funds we receive through the federal Bipartisan Infrastructure Law will allow us to address highway and bridge projects that will benefit those who live and do business in our region."

Overall highlights of the 2024 construction season for District 8, which covers Adams, Cumberland, Dauphin, Franklin, Lancaster, Lebanon, Perry and York counties, include:

•   One hundred and thirteen active construction projects continuing or starting in 2024, with an estimated contract value of $667.5 million.
•   Approximately 140 miles of paving.
•   Approximately 29 bridges will be repaired or replaced, including 19 in poor condition.

Notable projects that will continue this year include:

Adams County
•   Route 97 (Littlestown Road) resurfacing from the Maryland State Line to the intersection of Route 194 in Littlestown Borough and in Germany Township, Adams County, $2.7 million.
•   Route 116 bridge improvements over Tributary to Willoughby Run in Cumberland Township, Adams County, $935,279.

Cumberland County
•   Interstate 81 resurfacing project from Route 15/Enola in East Pennsboro Township to    Route 581/Lambs Gap Road in Hampden Township, Cumberland County, $21.8 million.
•   Route 34 resurfacing and intersection reconstruction at Route 34 and Calvary Road in Carlisle Borough, and North Middleton and Middlesex townships, Cumberland County, $4.2 million.

Dauphin County
•   I-83 reconstruction and widening from the 19th Street Interchange to the 29th Street overpass, a new Cameron Street interchange, and replacement of the 19th Street and 29th Street structures over I-83 and Norfolk Southern Railroad near Harrisburg in Dauphin County, $154.7 million.
•   Route 322 and Grayson Road/Chambers Hill Road intersection improvement project in Swatara Township, Dauphin County, $38.6 million.
•   Laudermilch Road (Route 2012) bridge replacement over Norfolk Southern Railroad in Derry Township, Dauphin County, $10.7 million.
•   Route 22 on Cameron Street and Arsenal Boulevard in the City of Harrisburg and Susquehanna Township, Dauphin County, $8.3 million.

Lancaster County
•   Route 222/Route 30 interchange improvement and roadway widening project on Route 222 including a bridge rehabilitation on the Eden Road overpass over Route 222 in Lancaster County, $72.2 million.
•   Route 30 intersection improvements and resurfacing in Salisbury, Paradise, Leacock and East Lampeter townships, Lancaster County, $7.6 million.
•   Route 30 bridge over the Susquehanna River replacement of box beam rail; ultrasonic impact treatment of fatigue prone areas; and other miscellaneous repairs, Lancaster and York counties $5.2 million.
•   Route 23 resurfacing in in New Holland Borough and Earl and East Earl townships, Lancaster County, $2.5 million.
•   Three bridge contract replacing bridges on Route 741 in Paradise Township, Route 2014 (Maple Shade Road) in Colerain Township, and Walnut Run Road (Route 2031) in Strasburg Township, Lancaster County, $2 million.

Lebanon County
•   Cornwall Road and Wilhelm Avenue realignment in North Cornwall Township, Lebanon County, $1.8 million.

Perry County
•   Route 22 resurfacing project on Route 22/322 westbound from the Dauphin/Perry County line to Newport interchange, and from Owl Hollow Road to the Juniata County line, and on 22/322 eastbound from the Juniata County line to Owl Hollow Road, and the ramps at the Millerstown interchange, Perry County, $23.1 million.
•   Route 74 (Waggoners Gap Road) over Bakers Creek in Spring Township and Hidden Valley Road over Shermans Creek in Tyrone Township two-bridge replacement project in Perry County, $3.2 million.
•   Route 34 resurfacing project in Newport Borough, Perry County, $814,834.

York County
•   Sherman Street bridge rehabilitation and Eberts Lane bridge replacement in Spring Garden and Springettsbury townships, and York City, York County, $10.1 million.
•   Route 116 (York Road) bridge rehabilitation in in North Codorus Township, York County, $1.9 million.
•   North York Widening Demolition contract in Manchester, Springettsbury, Spring Garden townships, York City, and North York Borough, York County, $1.5 million.

Multiple Counties:
•   Cable median barrier and guiderail at various locations along Route 30, I-81, and Route 222 in Cumberland, Dauphin, Franklin, Lancaster, Lebanon, and York counties, $5.2 million. 

Notable projects that have begun or are beginning this year include:

Adams County
•   Route 15 (Blue-Gray Highway) pavement preservation project from the Maryland state line to Route 394 (Shrivers Corner Road) in Freedom, Cumberland, Mount Joy and Straban townships, Adams County, $8.3 million.
•   Route 1009 (Wierman Road) bridge replacement project Huntington Township, Adams County, $433,228.

Cumberland County
•   Route 581 concrete rehabilitation project from I-81 to US-11/15 in East Pennsboro, Hampden, and Lower Allen townships, and Camp Hill and Lemoyne boroughs, Cumberland County, estimated bid October 10, 2024, estimated cost $20 million.
•   Route11 northbound bridge over Conodoguinet Creek superstructure replacement project in Wormleysburg Borough and East Pennsboro Township, Cumberland County, estimated bid July 11, estimated cost $6.7 million.
•   Route 74 (York Road) over Yellow Breeches Creek bridge replacement project in Monroe Township, Cumberland County, estimated bid June 13, estimated cost $3.6 million.

Franklin County
•   Route 11 (King Street) bridge replacement over Norfolk Southern Railroad tracks in Shippensburg Borough and Southampton Township, Franklin County, estimated bid September 26, estimated cost $13.9 million.
•   Route 75 (Fort Loudon Road) resurfacing project in Montgomery Township and Mercersburg Borough, Franklin County, estimated bid August 22, estimated cost $2.7 million.
•   Route 997 (Anthony Highway) resurfacing project in in Mont Alto Borough, Quincy, Guilford, and Greene townships, Franklin County, $2.1 million.

Lancaster County
•   Route 222 resurfacing project from Bushong Road to Pool Road, Manheim Township, Lancaster County, estimated bid May 24, estimated cost $9.6 million.
•   Route 30 intersection and safety improvement project and resurfacing in Salisbury, Paradise, Leacock and East Lampeter townships, Lancaster County, $7.6 million.
•   Route 30 two-bridge replacement project in Salisbury and East Lampeter townships, Lancaster County, $3.7 million.
•   Route 2025 (Bridge Street) bridge replacement project in Christiana Borough, Lancaster County, $2.1 million.

Lebanon County
•   Fisher Avenue (Route 4020) and Interstate 81 ramps resurfacing project in Union Township, Lebanon County, $2.3 million.

Perry County
•   Route 34 (Spring Road) over Little Juniata Creek and Carlisle Street two-bridge replacement project in Centre Township and in the Borough of New Bloomfield, Perry County, estimated bid November 7, estimated cost $3.5 million.
•   Replacement of existing bridge structures with box culverts on Route 850 in Carroll Township and Route 274 in Spring Township, along with repairs to Route 34 bridge over the Juniata River, Perry County, estimated let November 7, estimated cost $3.5 million.

York County
•   Route 30 highway restoration project from Route 74 to George Street in Manchester and West Manchester townships, and York City, York County, $8.7 million.
•   Business Loop 83 (Route 3075) resurfacing near the City of York in York County, $4.4 million.
•   Red Lion Avenue (Route 2079) over Muddy Creek North Branch bridge replacement project in Felton Borough, York County, $2.2 million.

Multiple Counties:
•   Districtwide line painting on various routes in District 8, $1.6 million.
•   Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) project, including Closed-Circuit Television (CCTV) cameras and Dynamic Message Signs (DMS) at over 17 locations on various routes Perry and Dauphin Counties, installing underground fiberoptic backbone in Dauphin County, installing CCTV and DMS devices at 16 locations along interstates in Cumberland, Dauphin and Lebanon counties, estimated bid May 24, estimated cost $5.6 million.

As construction projects are underway in the region, the traveling public can anticipate seeing many work zones and are urged to keep in mind their safety and the safety of highway workers. When encountering a work zone, please drive the posted speed limit, turn on your headlights, pay close attention to signs and flaggers and avoid all distractions. In high traffic locations, motorists are encouraged to use both lanes of travel to the merge point and are to take turns merging into the open lane.

"We ask everyone who travels on our highways to be alert and drive with caution through our work zones, for their safety and the safety of our workers," said District Executive Kevin Keefe.

Motorists can check conditions on major roadways by visiting www.511PA.com. 511PA, which is free and available 24 hours a day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information and access to more than 1,000 traffic cameras.� 511PA is also available through a smartphone application for iPhone and Android devices, by calling 5-1-1, or by following local alerts on X. �

Subscribe to PennDOT news and traffic alerts in Adams, Cumberland, Dauphin, Franklin, Lancaster, Lebanon, Perry and York counties at PennDOT District 8.

Information about infrastructure in District 8, including completed work and significant projects, is available at District 8 Results. Find PennDOT's planned and active construction projects at PennDOT Projects.

Follow PennDOT on X, and like the department on Facebook and Instagram.

(For PA 51 and PA 837)  PennDOT - District 11 News: Elizabeth Bridge Northbound Route 51 Ramp to Northbound Route 837 Closure Wednesday Night in West Elizabeth

QuotePittsburgh, PA – PennDOT District 11 is announcing the closure of the northbound Route 51 ramp from the Elizabeth Bridge to northbound Route 837 in West Elizabeth Borough, Allegheny County, will occur Wednesday night, May 1 weather permitting.

The ramp that carries traffic from northbound Route 51 on the Elizabeth Bridge to northbound Route 837 will close to traffic from 10 p.m. Wednesday night to 2 a.m. Thursday morning. Crews from Green Acres Contracting will conduct bridge washing activities.  All ramp traffic will be detoured.

Posted Car Detour

Motorists will continue on northbound Route 51 past the closed ramp

Take the left-hand ramp to southbound Route 51 toward Elizabeth

From southbound Route 51 take the left-hand ramp to northbound Route 837 toward Clairton

End detour

Posted Truck Detour

Trucks will continue on northbound Route 51 past the closed ramp

Take the ramp to Ridge Road/Clairton

Turn left onto Ridge Road

Take the ramp to southbound Route 51

From southbound Route 51 take the left-hand ramp to northbound Route 837 toward Clairton

End detour

Motorists can check conditions on more than 40,000 roadway miles by visiting www.511PA.com. 511PA, which is free and available 24 hours a day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information and access to more than 1,000 traffic cameras.

511PA is also available through a smartphone application for iPhone and Android devices, by calling 5-1-1, or by following regional X alerts accessible on the 511PA website.

�Contact: Steve Cowan, 412-429-5010
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Indiana Notes
Last post by monty - Today at 07:11:06 PM
I think I 70 from downtown Indy out to I 465 on the east side has in the past been one of the busiest Indiana segments - at least prior to the pandemic.
General Highway Talk / Re: Roads that you have been o...
Last post by SSOWorld - Today at 06:58:37 PM
Quote from: Jim on Today at 06:53:41 PM
Quote from: YLroadfan on Today at 04:09:44 PMOn February 9, 1971 my brother-in-law was traveling southbound on I-5, on his way home from a construction job in Northern California. As the Sylmar earthquake rumbled beneath his truck, he saw portions of the Newhall Pass interchange collapse in his rear-view mirror.

Wins the topic.
it does

I did drive the key bridge and I-95 north of Philly in 21.  I drove the old I-35W bridge a few times as well.
General Highway Talk / Re: Roads that you have been o...
Last post by Jim - Today at 06:53:41 PM
Quote from: YLroadfan on Today at 04:09:44 PMOn February 9, 1971 my brother-in-law was traveling southbound on I-5, on his way home from a construction job in Northern California. As the Sylmar earthquake rumbled beneath his truck, he saw portions of the Newhall Pass interchange collapse in his rear-view mirror.

Wins the topic.
General Highway Talk / Re: Non-freeway/tollway full-s...
Last post by elsmere241 - Today at 06:43:33 PM
There's one on US 13 in Smyrna, Delaware.  (I processed the Town of Smyrna's annexation of it, working at New Castle County.  My guess on why is so that they can annex properties further out.)
General Highway Talk / Re: State Line advertisements ...
Last post by LilianaUwU - Today at 06:39:56 PM
Quote from: -- US 175 -- on Today at 05:58:11 PMI wonder what kind of billboards (or other advertising?) would be placed on I-40 in the TX panhandle advertising the new Glenrio Smoke Stop across the NM border.
Jesus Christ, way to desecrate a ghost town.
General Highway Talk / Re: State Line advertisements ...
Last post by elsmere241 - Today at 06:38:38 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on April 29, 2024, 11:00:42 AMThe legendary, or infamous depending on your point of view, South of the Border in South Carolina got its start for similar reasons: The nearby counties in North Carolina were dry and South of the Border was located as close to the state line as possible to sell beer to North Carolinians. (I have no idea whether they were able to advertise in North Carolina back then, though of course later on their billboards were well-known.)

South of the Border is in Dillon County.  The county seat, Dillon, has long been a popular place for North Carolinians to get married in a hurry.
Northeast / Re: New York
Last post by webny99 - Today at 06:32:42 PM
Quote from: Rothman on Today at 05:12:07 PM
Quote from: webny99 on April 24, 2024, 08:37:00 PM
Quote from: Rothman on April 24, 2024, 06:35:26 PMPsst.  That's because CCs are becoming obsolete with modern data collection methods...

What modern data collection methods would replace CC's?

Simply extrapolating from camera counts.

Is there any publicly accessible source for camera data? The only one I can find online is an aggregator site that charges for camera footage.
Mountain West / Re: Colorado
Last post by Great Lakes Roads - Today at 06:08:15 PM

CDOT had a webinar on the I-270 corridor in the Denver region...

Two options on improving the corridor (while also rebuilding the Vasquez Boulevard interchange into a Parclo A-4):

1. Add an additional general-purpose lane in each direction
2. Add a toll lane in each direction while also keeping the same number of general-purpose lanes

Southeast / Re: Interstate 42
Last post by wdcrft63 - Today at 06:03:43 PM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on Today at 04:49:16 PMWait, Morehead City is a town of 8600 people?! How the fuck does that warrant an Interstate?
A town of 8600 people would not normally need interstate access. However Morehead City is a port and the center of the Crystal Coast beach resort area. Also the I-42 route serves two major military bases, Seymour Johnson Air Force Base and the Marine Corps Air Station at Cherry Point. There's also some precedent for interstates going to beach resort areas: I-495 in Massachusetts (to Cape Cod) and I-195 in New Jersey (to the Jersey Shore resorts).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.