News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

Mill Road, I knew about, and I though I posted it online somewhere. I forgot about the one on Nicoll's Road. That one shouldn't even be replaced with an I-495 shield. It should be torn out and the whole intersection should be converted into an interchange.

roadman65

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/5043752012/in/photostream/

This is along US 431 SB on the east side of Dothan, AL.  The "TO" does not belong above US 431 here as it is the real deal.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Kacie Jane

Not hard to see what the mistake is here.  Seen in Valley Cottage, NY.

(As an aside in the "For Another Thread" department, half (but only half) of Virginia Street (the other sign in the photo) is mislabelled as E Ridge Road in Google Maps.  The road was constructed in the 90s, and has never been called E Ridge Road, nor has any other road in the neighborhood.)

Also, didn't get a pic, but there is a NY 9 (as opposed to US 9) shield northbound on Broadway at 179th Street near the George Washington Bridge.

Duke87

From my trip this weekend:

That US 22 shield is on NY 22, southbound somewhere north of Plattsburgh. There are two of them in a row.

(didn't get a picture of: MA 5 shield)

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

vtk

How about in Final Destination 2? The wreck happened on a Route 23, a four-lane divided road with possible access control, supposedly somewhere in the state of New York.  The route marker shown was clearly a US 23 shield. Of course, US 23 doesn't enter New York – or Canada, where the film was shot.  Maybe the film portrays an example of an error by NYSDOT.

That still doesn't explain why later films refer to it as a crash on Route 180.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Quillz

Beyond the fact all the movies in the series were rather dumb, I believe the "180" was a reference to the flight number in the original film.

It seems movies in general are notorious for getting highways wrong. I believe "Forrest Gump" had a US-17 shield being shown located in western Alabama.

vtk

Quote from: Quillz on September 05, 2011, 03:10:05 PM
Beyond the fact all the movies in the series were rather dumb, I believe the "180" was a reference to the flight number in the original film.

The number 180 comes up a lot in the series for some reason.  On Route 23 where the big pileup happened, there was a VMS saying "Road Work Next 180 Miles".  (There's a topic for a new thread -- longest construction zone?)  In later films, they actually did (in dialog and/or in a newspaper clipping) refer to that incident as a pileup on Route 180, which I'm pretty sure is simply a mistake on the part of the writers.

froggie

QuoteBeyond the fact all the movies in the series were rather dumb,

Pretty much all one needs to say for that sub-thread.

okroads

U.S. 9 now apparently exists in Oklahoma...

Brandon

Quote from: vtk on September 05, 2011, 02:33:41 PM
How about in Final Destination 2? The wreck happened on a Route 23, a four-lane divided road with possible access control, supposedly somewhere in the state of New York.  The route marker shown was clearly a US 23 shield. Of course, US 23 doesn't enter New York – or Canada, where the film was shot.  Maybe the film portrays an example of an error by NYSDOT.

That still doesn't explain why later films refer to it as a crash on Route 180.

Maybe filmed in Michigan?  Similar topography and foliage.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

OracleUsr

The "180" is a thread through all the FD movies, and is, indeed, a reference to the flight of the original movie.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

pianocello

If you pause "Groundhog Day", set in PA, at the right time, you'll see an IL-120 sign.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

US71

I can't find it now, but KYTV in Springfield, MO ran a story this past week about the widening of US 65, but posted an Interstate 65 shield.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

corco

QuoteI can't find it now, but KYTV in Springfield, MO ran a story this past week about the widening of US 65, but posted an Interstate 65 shield.

I'm working on a report for a city in Arizona where the engineers for the city sent me a chunk of text to include talking about how important "I-60" is.  X-(

Brandon

Quote from: pianocello on September 06, 2011, 05:50:27 PM
If you pause "Groundhog Day", set in PA, at the right time, you'll see an IL-120 sign.

Yep, filmed in Woodstock, IL, up in McHenry County.  Woodstock has IL-120, IL-47, and US-14.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Crazy Volvo Guy

I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

agentsteel53

for $2.53 gas, I'll put up with a lot of abuses.  even '70 spec shields.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Rover_0

Here's one that may or may not have been noticed or fixed, but in Salina, UT, there's an "SR-50" sign at the US-50/UT-24 junction.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

corco

A couple in Flagstaff

(should be SR 89A, pardon the graniness, I was on the elevated highway and shot across the car out the passenger window down to the road below me)

apeman33

Quote from: corco on September 13, 2011, 02:10:27 PM
A couple in Flagstaff

There was once a shield for K-89 at Halstead that actually said "K-89" with all four characters (hyphen included) crammed into a 2-digit shield. I didn't have a digital camera back then, so I wasn't ever able to get a shot for it.

corco

QuoteThere was once a shield for K-89 at Halstead that actually said "K-89" with all four characters (hyphen included) crammed into a 2-digit shield. I didn't have a digital camera back then, so I wasn't ever able to get a shot for it.

Like this?

Quillz

Reminds me of one of the proposals for what the original Interstate shield should have looked like. One of them was the current US route shield (although then following the '48 specs), only the legend said "I-x."

vtk

At The Mall At Tuttle Crossing, there is some directional signage pointing drivers to the correct way out of the parking lots to lead to different destinations and major roads.  On these signs, the Outerbelt is referred to thusly:

Interstate I-

Duke87

This is not technically incorrect. It is, however, improper style.

Arrow goes below the shield, not above! :pan:
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

vtk

Quote from: Duke87 on September 13, 2011, 09:55:02 PM
This is not technically incorrect. It is, however, improper style.

Arrow goes below the shield, not above! :pan:

Plus, isn't that a wrong-way multiplex between a main US route and its unofficial alternate?  I could see people being confused by this.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.