News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Jim

Along these lines but not so bad since they used a reasonable-looking New York shield.  From North Bennington, Vermont:

There are and have been a variety of "To NY 7"'s in the Bennington area, necessitated by the unfortunate proximity of NY 7 and US 7.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

AsphaltPlanet

This is bilingualism at its finest:

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

corco

Wow- that is all kinds of terrible

Duke87

Some of Canada's sign bilingualism is really just silly. Even an English speaker who's never heard a word of French in their lives should be able to figure out what "Est", "Ouest", "Sud", and "Nord" mean in context, and the same goes for a French speaker with "East", "West", "South", and "North". Quebec only posts the French and nobody from outside has trouble with it.

Attempting to do "East/Est" and messing it up as depicted is hilarious, though. :-D
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

1995hoo

Quote from: Duke87 on November 29, 2011, 01:16:42 PM
Some of Canada's sign bilingualism is really just silly. Even an English speaker who's never heard a word of French in their lives should be able to figure out what "Est", "Ouest", "Sud", and "Nord" mean in context, and the same goes for a French speaker with "East", "West", "South", and "North". Quebec only posts the French and nobody from outside has trouble with it.

Attempting to do "East/Est" and messing it up as depicted is hilarious, though. :-D

There's a sign near Ottawa listing an exit as serving "Av Maitland Ave." To me that's really carrying bilingualism to an extreme.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

twinsfan87

Quote from: national highway 1 on November 26, 2011, 09:25:06 PM

MN 95 is signed with a Wisconsin shield before the state line.

I believe this shield has since been replaced with the correct Mn/DOT "JCT 95" assembly (Google Streetview seems to confirm my belief).

agentsteel53

Quote from: Duke87 on November 29, 2011, 01:16:42 PMEven an English speaker who's never heard a word of French in their lives should be able to figure out what "Est", "Ouest", "Sud", and "Nord" mean in context

honestly, east and west can get confusing if you're familiar with too many languages.  West is "oeste" in Spanish.  In German, east is "öst", which can get transliterated into "oest".

big trouble brewing... I know I got confused several times when crossing between Latin and Germanic countries.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Quillz

I do like that Ontario sign using square corners rather than the fake rounded ones most American signs use.

AsphaltPlanet

I think that bilingual signage in Ontario has more to do with a commitment by government to provide services in both official languages rather than the need to translate "east" to "est" for francophones.

Language has been a controversial issue in Canada at times.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

vdeane

Quote from: Quillz on November 29, 2011, 03:40:59 PM
I do like that Ontario sign using square corners rather than the fake rounded ones most American signs use.

Glad that in NY we use REAL rounded corners.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

xcellntbuy

Having stocked and handled aluminum road signs in my Warehouse days in New York, believe me, radius (rounded) corners were always specified.  Sharp 90-degree angled signs could have the potential to slip and leave quite a gash or even worse, lop off a hand, especially handling the heavy signs. :ded:

agentsteel53

I've actually gotten quite a few spikes and pokes just from the pointed tips of cutout US route markers.

mmm... tetanus.

jake@aaroads.com

bugo

Quote from: BigOkie on August 29, 2011, 10:39:45 AM
Quote from: okroads on August 28, 2011, 10:19:21 PM
The sign on the right should say "Sand Springs'...

Is that the southbound Tisdale Interchange at I-244/US412?  Good job, ODOT!  LOL.

ODOT does not maintain the Tisdale, it is a city-maintained freeway.  Did ODOT handle the resigning?

There used to be some cool button copy signs on the SB Tisdale approaching I-244.  They disappeared before I could get pictures of them.

hbelkins

This is what that sign replaced. (I may have posted this pic previously...)

SidS1045

Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 29, 2011, 03:35:03 PM
In German, east is "öst", which can get transliterated into "oest".

No umlaut.  It's just "ost."  To make it an adjective, you add the umlaut and the -lich ending (östlich or oestlich).

There are multiple pictures on the Autobahn Atlas site (autobahnatlas-online.de, click on Gallery) which show the cardinal directions in German (nord, süd, ost, west [pronounced "vest"]).
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

agentsteel53

Quote from: SidS1045 on December 01, 2011, 03:24:10 PM
No umlaut.  It's just "ost."  To make it an adjective, you add the umlaut and the -lich ending (östlich or oestlich).

There are multiple pictures on the Autobahn Atlas site (autobahnatlas-online.de, click on Gallery) which show the cardinal directions in German (nord, süd, ost, west [pronounced "vest"]).

oops, Swedish not German.  here I had thought German, too, because I had believed "österreich" (Austrian) meant "eastern kingdom", which would make sense geographically.

jake@aaroads.com

SidS1045

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 01, 2011, 03:41:27 PM
I had believed "österreich" (Austrian) meant "eastern kingdom", which would make sense geographically.

You are correct, sir.  Give that man a lady in the balcony.  (and if you remember that reference:  You are OLD!)  "Öster-" and "östlich-" mean the same thing.

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

hbelkins

formulanone

^ Swapped directional tabs?

Takumi

Quote from: SidS1045 on December 05, 2011, 01:54:32 PM
You are correct, sir.  Give that man a lady in the balcony.  (and if you remember that reference:  You are OLD!)  "Öster-" and "östlich-" mean the same thing.

M*A*S*H, right?
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hbelkins

Quote from: formulanone on December 05, 2011, 09:07:33 PM
^ Swapped directional tabs?

Yep. And I didn't even notice until I was looking through my photos from last Sunday's little trip.

1995hoo

WTOP here in the DC area has this picture of a new sign that appeared on I-66 yesterday when the new third lane opened:

Link to article
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

A contractor recently installed a sign on KY 1057 where two ramps are being added to the former partial interchange with the Mountain Parkway. The exit is for Clay City but the sign on KY 1057 points the way to Clay County. I don't have a photo of my own yet but the local newspaper published one that someone submitted to them.

I guess technically the sign is correct, because if you continue in that direction on KY 1057 you intersect KY 11, which does run through Clay County.

6a

Some of Canada's sign bilingualism is really just silly.

I want to be the guy who has the contract for portable changeable message signs up there.  Last time I drove on 401 there had to be a dozen construction sites, each with multiple sign setups, with a sign for each language. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.