News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Potential Springfield Neighborhood Tour-Canceled

Started by kevinb1994, May 03, 2019, 12:52:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevinb1994

Once I have an idea of how to set this up, this tour will be on...I'll see what I can incorporate into this one.

Potential meet site will be at 4th and Main Streets in Springfield. I'm looking at using this intersection for lunch/dinner/dessert,

Alps

How would you be able to host it unless your family is willing to fly with you from Jacksonville to El Paso or DFW?

Alps

So you're asking for there to be one. Got it. Not sure if there's ever even been one.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

hbelkins

Quote from: Alps on May 03, 2019, 10:48:07 AM
So you're asking for there to be one. Got it. Not sure if there's ever even been one.

Gene V. hosted a meet in the DFW area several years ago. That trip remains my only foray into the Lone Star State.

I also think the recent Shreveport meet may have ventured into Texas, at least briefly.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

oscar

Quote from: hbelkins on May 03, 2019, 12:10:46 PM
I also think the recent Shreveport meet may have ventured into Texas, at least briefly.

Just to the border and back, at least to the TX/AR/LA tripoint and perhaps also another place.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: oscar on May 03, 2019, 12:29:47 PM

Just to the border and back, at least to the TX/AR/LA tripoint and perhaps also another place.

I think we did it so we could go 75 on a two lane road.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

signalman

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 03, 2019, 01:21:28 PM

I think we did it so we could go 7570 on a two lane road.
FTFY and indeed we did.

oscar

Quote from: signalman on May 03, 2019, 06:01:10 PM
FTFY and indeed we did.

There are two-lane roads in east Texas with 75 mph limits. Just not that one, and maybe not any others near Shreveport.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Duke87

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on May 03, 2019, 11:02:32 AM
Now we have fictional road meets?  :pan:

We should have a road meet centered around I-366 construction.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Road Hog

Quote from: signalman on May 03, 2019, 06:01:10 PM

FTFY and indeed we did.

Until a month ago you could go 75 on TX 289 in Grayson County, but the city of Sherman voted to reduce it to 70 on its (entirely rural) segment and TxDOT responded by dropping it to 70 through the whole county. Hasn't slowed me down much!

davmillar

I live in Fort Worth. I don't know that I could organize the whole shebang but can definitely lend a hand.
Try out my puzzle game Interst8 at https://interst8.us

brianreynolds

Texas is way overdue for a road meet.  Having visited Texas (mostly Houston area) two or three times every year for a dozen years, I have come to love (most) Texas roads.

One thing I love about Texas that I have seen nowhere else:

Especially in NE Texas (near the Red River) a slower vehicle will routinely ease onto the shoulder to allow faster traffic to pass without crossing the center line.

Simple common courtesy (did I say "common"?  No, in most of our world, this is quite "uncommon". 

This habit should be taught in every teen's initial driver's training.

Everything is bigger in Texas, as the major interchange flyover ramps will testify. 

I don't know if bigger is necessarily better, but Bigger Is Way Cooler.  Awesomeness never grows old.

hbelkins

Gene V. is now actively considering a Texas meet. Apparently the subject came up at Memphis a few weeks ago.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: brianreynolds on May 17, 2019, 09:37:32 PM

Especially in NE Texas (near the Red River) a slower vehicle will routinely ease onto the shoulder to allow faster traffic to pass without crossing the center line.

This is fairly widespread in Texas.  The first time I witnessed it (back in the 1990s) was in Ector County, when no fewer than three oncoming truckers and the one I was following all moved onto the shoulder to let me pass.  During my most recent trip to Mexico (last year), I'd say I saw a dozen vehicles doing this on US-277 just between Sonora and Abilene.

Actually, letting someone pass is specifically spelled out in Texas state law as a legitimate reason to drive on the shoulder.

For what it's worth, this is ubiquitous in Mexico, where the shoulder stripe is very often dashed instead of solid specifically to encourage the behavior.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

signalman

Quote from: kphoger on May 20, 2019, 03:06:48 PM
Quote from: brianreynolds on May 17, 2019, 09:37:32 PM

This is fairly widespread in Texas.  The first time I witnessed it (back in the 1990s) was in Ector County, when no fewer than three oncoming truckers and the one I was following all moved onto the shoulder to let me pass.  During my most recent trip to Mexico (last year), I'd say I saw a dozen vehicles doing this on US-277 just between Sonora and Abilene.

Actually, letting someone pass is specifically spelled out in Texas state law as a legitimate reason to drive on the shoulder.

For what it's worth, this is ubiquitous in Mexico, where the shoulder stripe is very often dashed instead of solid specifically to encourage the behavior.
Perhaps this should be encouraged or considered elsewhere.  Obviously where it's safe and reasonable to do so, and perhaps some states may need to change their laws to reflect such behavior.   The end result may lead to less road rage incidents and deter some drivers from performing illegal (and perhaps dangerous) overtaking maneuvers.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: kevinb1994 on June 18, 2019, 05:49:23 AM
I'm thinking that after the upcoming Pittsburgh (412) Road Meet, an Austin City Limits (512) Meet could be in order. We just need to figure out if and when it'll happen.

Since you're suggesting it, you should host it!
-A.J. from Michigan

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: kevinb1994 on June 18, 2019, 10:49:10 PM
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on June 18, 2019, 10:19:04 PM
Since you're suggesting it, you should host it!
I can't say if I would be able to, however. Distance is a factor and I currently don't drive (would prefer to live elsewhere before learning how to drive again, preferably somewhere where the cost of living isn't that bad, at least when it comes to buying and/or renting). Also, there has been that notable lack of Amtrak service between New Orleans and Orlando via the historic Sunset Limited since Katrina (although it did run past Orlando to Miami in the mid-90s via the Silver Meteor's route).

We totally understand that some folks in our community don't/can't drive, and we also understand that distance is a factor. I don't fault you in any way for those things. However, it doesn't make sense when you are requesting road meets far away from where you live and expecting others to host them... when you don't even know whether you can attend those meets yourself. If you'd like to host something, make a plan, stick with the plan, and go for it. No one is stopping you.

Hopefully you'll be able to start driving at some point and/or have access to your own transportation to get you anywhere in the country where you'd like to go... and hopefully host one of these meets you're talking about. :)
-A.J. from Michigan

davmillar

If folks were up for a North Texas meet, are there any specific points of interest to be considered? I'm kind of a novice roadgeek, but if I were to organize something, these are a few of the things I'd include:

• Brunch in Fort Worth at a few of the best taco places
  • Old alignment of US 80 through FW
  • Western terminus of I-30 just outside FW
  • US 180 and historic Bankhead Highway through Weatherford and Mineral Wells
  • Quick jaunt North on TX-16 to the Possum Kingdom Bridge
  • South to I-20 to start the loop back toward DFW
  • Dinner at the SmokeStack in Mingus/Thurber
Does that sound reasonably interesting/worthwhile? Anything along the way worth mentioning?

Road Hog

If you're gonna stop in Mingus to eat, might as well just venture a few more miles and eat at Mary's.

davmillar

Quote from: kevinb1994 on July 03, 2019, 01:07:53 AM
Quote from: Road Hog on July 03, 2019, 12:58:50 AM
If you're gonna stop in Mingus to eat, might as well just venture a few more miles and eat at Mary's.
Nah, the SmokeStack will do.

As for a brunch taco stop, I'd recommend the top-notch Velvet Taco on Seventh Street (Old US 377) at Carroll Street, at the Montgomery Plaza in the Linwood area.
Velvet Taco is good but a bit hipsterish and parking can be nightmarish. Was thinking Los Taco H's on US 287 and Rosedale as they tend to have a lot of parking earlier in the day and have my personal favorite taco out of the 425+ I've had in the area.

davmillar

Quote from: Road Hog on July 03, 2019, 12:58:50 AM

Never been but it would be along the route. Will have to check it out. Was considering the Smoke stack mainly for the proximity and the novelty factor.

US71

I almost drove old 80 back in May, but had to get home and prep for my Wyoming trip.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

US71

Quote from: kevinb1994 on July 03, 2019, 10:33:59 AM
Quote from: US71 on July 03, 2019, 10:24:25 AM
I almost drove old 80 back in May, but had to get home and prep for my Wyoming trip.
Did you take New US 80 instead?

No, I wound up just coming home.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.