News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Road Trips You Want To Go On At Least Once In Your Life

Started by US 41, September 08, 2014, 04:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscar

Quote from: NE2 on December 19, 2014, 05:24:01 PM
I'll try Boston to Frisco avoiding major cities.

Hopefully also avoiding the use of "Frisco" anywhere near San Francisco.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

kkt

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on December 19, 2014, 05:32:38 PM
How about the full lenghth of the PCH?

There are sections of freeway.  Capitola to Santa Cruz, for instance.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kkt

Quote from: NE2 on December 20, 2014, 12:00:59 AM
Quote from: oscar on December 19, 2014, 11:24:49 PM

Hopefully also avoiding the use of "Frisco" anywhere near San Francisco.

If you're old and white.

Frisco is offensive to the Spanish language.  The author of that article had maybe half a dozen people, and the only ones who were not offended by Frisco were young and black.  They are nowhere near a majority of the city.

NE2

Quote from: kkt on December 20, 2014, 12:10:13 AM
Frisco is offensive to the Spanish language.
So is pronouncing the G in Los Angeles. Sorry, don't give a fuck.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

froggie

I've always preferred "San Fran", if I don't just pronounce the whole name outright...

wphiii

Quote from: OCGuy81 on December 19, 2014, 04:30:31 PM
The one that's really more a pipe dream than anything would be driving coast to coast WITHOUT getting on a freeway.  It'd take a long time, and require some planning in advance, but sticking to mostly US and state routes that aren't freeways.  Probably get tougher as you head east.

Now this is my kind of road trip!

D-Dey65

Quote from: MrDisco99 on November 10, 2014, 01:18:53 PM
I really like the Saw Mill.  It's long and curvy and a really fun drive, particular on the northern half where there's not as much traffic.  The Bronx is prettier and older and more interesting from a road history perspective, but it gets a lot of traffic which makes it not as much fun to drive.
I always wanted to go to that restaurant at the Woodlands Park rest area. Sadly, I missed my chance. I'm debating whether or not I should go there and take a picture of the old Woodlands NYC station along the Old Put line. Nevertheless there are too many intersections that have to be either converted into interchanges or closed.

Mileage Mike

- Pacific Coast Highway (CA, OR, WA)
- AlCan Highway
- Pan American Highway, US to Argentina
- I-80 across the US
- I-94 across the US
- US 50 in Nevada
- US 163 Arizona
- US 212 Montana
- I-70 Colorado

PCH is the one I'm burning to do the most right now.

CNGL-Leudimin

Frisco is offensive to the Spanish language.  The author of that article had maybe half a dozen people, and the only ones who were not offended by Frisco were young and black.  They are nowhere near a majority of the city.

I don't see 'Frisco' as offensive, and my mother language is Spanish. :confused:
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

SignGeek101

Even though I don't really like driving, I would like to drive

-The entire Trans Canada including the areas where it branches off.
-Eastern US, probably on I-95
-Highway 401 in Toronto (I've been on it several times, but I was too young to drive).

1995hoo

Something I thought of while watching last week's F1 race on the DVR: The Nürburgring!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

slorydn1

A big circle (rectangle?) of the US heading down to I-10 and going all the way across to California, then up the Pacific Coast Highway/US-101/I-5 to I-90, back across to the Atlantic Coast and back here to NC. I think it would take 3 weeks to do it properly, so it will have to wait until my wife and I retire.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Mergingtraffic

any place in the US where there are large clusters of original interstate state-named shields and non-reflective button copy.  Speaking of button copy....CA is a long term goal.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

pumpkineater2

-Phoenix to Denver by way of I-17> US 89> US 160> US 163> US 191> UT 128 >I-70
-Phoenix to SLC by way of US 160> US 163 or 191> I-70/US 6, and then back by I-15> UT 20> US 89/89A.
-Phoenix to Las Vegas
-All of AZ 87
-All of AZ 80
-All of US 60 in Arizona
-All of I-40 from west to east
-I-10 from Phoenix to Jacksonville. This probably could be merged with the I-40 trip.
-I-90 from its west end at least to I-15
-All of I-19

...........Aaaaand every inch of all the Phoenix area freeways.

Come ride with me to the distant shore...

Brandon

So you want to drive here?

I've heard the skiing's good.  :bigass:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Sykotyk

Still on my bucket list/dream drives I probably won't take for various reasons:

Drive to Alaska and back, hitting all the municipalities while there.
James Bay up and back
Labrador/Newfoundland round trip

If I ever became insanely wealthy, I'd want to drive every U.S. highway end to end. But, being a realist, one trip I would like to make, maybe once I'm done hitting counties, is to drive the entire length of U.S. 2.

I've been on a big stretches of it, including a fun trip a few years ago from Spokane through Shelby, MT. I'd also like to add U.S. 6 to that across the country as well. Driven on many many stretches of it in my life, including all of PA and most of Ohio.

One other trip I'd like to make some day is if I get out west again without another destination in mind and drive U.S. 50 from at least the CA/NV line to I-15.

Desert Man

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on April 30, 2015, 06:05:00 PM

I don't see 'Frisco' as offensive, and my mother language is Spanish. :confused:

My wife from the SF Bay area NEVER referred to San Francisco by the term "Frisco", and she's half-Mexican descent with some Filipino roots and Italian family from St. Louis MO, so she's familiar with some Spanish words. There is an actual Texas town named Frisco, an upcoming suburb north of Dallas. I had visited the SF Bay area with my parents when I was in my teens in the 90s, and I like to travel to Norcal again beyond Gilroy south of San Jose (few of my wife's relatives live there) if I have the opportunity.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Rothman

When I lived in San Francisco, it was anathema to refer to it as "Frisco."  Caused sneers and the like...

...despite the fact I think the population there has a decent turnover!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

sipes23

In the last year, I've made a Pacific to the plains drive, which had kind of been on my bucket list. I can only really think of two road trips I'd like to claim before the big journey is over.

1. The whole of US 20. I've got large stretches of it already. I suppose because I've spent much of my life living nearish to it.

2. The Dempster Highway. Totally a crazy idea. Yes, I've read the trips of what it takes. If the road to Nunavut ever gets built, I might add that too.

I'd also like to drive to Mexico, but I'm in no hurry for that.

iBallasticwolf2

Some clinches I would love to do in my life. (Not in any order)
Pennsylvania turnpike.
Blue Ridge parkway.
I-40 in North Carolina.
I-75. (I've clinched all of it from downtown Dayton to the southern end actually)
All freeways in urban areas!  :-o
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

Rothman

Eh, oldies but goodies:

--Clinch "western" US 2
--Clinch US 83
--Tail of the Dragon (can't believe I haven't done this yet)
--McCarthy Road (Chitina to McCarthy, AK)
--Alaska Highway
--Overseas Highway
--Drive US 202 in its entirety.  Not sure what draws me to it, other than it just seems like a very strangely routed "spur" off of US 2 (I guess a lot of people in Bangor wanted to go to Delaware), the fact that I grew up near the road, and the variety of landscapes it passes through (rural & urban).  Heck, even just in Massachusetts, it passes through the hills west of the Quabbin and then hits the decaying cities of Holyoke and Westfield. 

Used to dink around with the idea of doing the Dempster Highway, too.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

slorydn1

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on June 21, 2015, 11:27:18 PM
Blue Ridge parkway.
I-40 in North Carolina.

Yes, do it. Add Skyline Drive and US-441 through the Smoky Mountains National Park to that as well. I just did the whole shebang from Front Royal, VA to Gatlinburg, TN last month and it was absolutely stunning. Because of the lower speed limits and all of the overlooks to pull over at it took me 2 days but it was time well spent!
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: slorydn1 on June 22, 2015, 07:39:56 PM
Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on June 21, 2015, 11:27:18 PM
Blue Ridge parkway.
I-40 in North Carolina.

Yes, do it. Add Skyline Drive and US-441 through the Smoky Mountains National Park to that as well. I just did the whole shebang from Front Royal, VA to Gatlinburg, TN last month and it was absolutely stunning. Because of the lower speed limits and all of the overlooks to pull over at it took me 2 days but it was time well spent!

That is a long way off for me because I am only 12 (That is the thing I hate most about myself amoung others) and also I live near Cincinnati.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

D-Dey65

Quote from: Takumi on December 19, 2014, 10:54:55 PM
-US 17 end to end
Quote from: Rothman on June 21, 2015, 11:41:28 PM
Eh, oldies but goodies:
--Drive US 202 in its entirety.
Those two seem like they might be interesting. I'm not sure why Rothman thinks US 202 is an oldie but goodie, but it still raises a little curiosity for me.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.