News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Surviving Graveyard Shift

Started by ZLoth, October 13, 2013, 10:39:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J N Winkler

Quote from: realjd on October 13, 2013, 11:20:15 PMWe frequent travelers have a secret weapon for jet lag: melatonin. Sold as a "supplement" in the US but a prescription in many other countries, it really does help jump start your body clock to a new schedule. It doesn't knock you out like sleeping pills do; rather, it makes you feel sleepy and you don't wake up groggy. It'll significantly shorten the amount of time it takes you to adjust to your new schedule.

Melatonin is helpful but tricky.  Some tips:

*  The response curve is nonlinear, so stay with lower per-tablet doses--3 mg or 5 mg is more effective than 10 mg.

*  Taking melatonin orally over an extended period of time is counterproductive since the body becomes accustomed to relying on the tablets rather than producing its own.  When I take it for jet lag, I have a rule of not taking it for more than four nights and usually quit after two or three (the first being on the plane flying east).

*  Melatonin tablets are light-sensitive and will degrade if exposed to light.  They should already come in a dark bottle, but I'd still keep the bottle in a dark container (say, a toiletry kit) in an inside room normally left unlit.

*  Keep in mind that a lot of the effect will come from the B vitamins included in the tablets, not just the melatonin itself.

*  Single-shot melatonin tablets are best since they release the chemical at the start of the sleep cycle, ensuring that you wake up alert after a full sleep.  Time-release melatonin causes extended grogginess the following day; I avoid it at all costs for precisely this reason.

In regard to caffeine and the broader question of how to stay awake during the graveyard shift, I suggest adhering strictly to the rule of no caffeine at all less than 8 hours before planned bedtime, with one cup of a strongly caffeinated drink, such as coffee brewed in a stovetop espresso maker, at waking (circa 16 hours before bedtime), and--only if necessary--a second, much weaker drink such as tea, taken no less than 8 hours before bedtime.

I am not a fan of the strategy of racking up a sleep deficit one day in hopes that it will ensure a solid heavy sleep the following night.  It simply does not work at all for some people, and for others it will work when they are in their twenties but not when they are in their thirties or older.  And even when it works, it is an excellent way of setting yourself up for truly stupendous REM rebound.  I think it works much better to ease through the transition with one melatonin tablet for the "short" sleeping period, a very short power nap the following waking period, and then a second melatonin tablet taken before the next sleep period.

I also suggest observing the following tips to minimize the negative health consequences of working graveyard:

*  Always aim for a full night's sleep (eight hours for most people)--never just the minimum you think you need to function.

*  Avoid starchy foods like bread or pasta except within two hours of bedtime.  Stick with meat, fruit, and vegetables whenever you need to be alert for the next few hours.

*  Slow down in low light before you go to bed.  (The standard recommendation is to avoid TV and staring at a computer screen right before bedtime.  I frequently ignore this, but I turn off the main light in my living area and try to avoid mentally demanding tasks like scripting, which risk sending me to bed keyed-up and unable to sleep.)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

Quote from: corco on October 13, 2013, 02:27:03 PM
There will be days when you don't get to sleep between graveyard shifts- since life happens during the day these things happen. You'll have to suck it up.

I didn't see this when I posted before. With a bit of determination, this should never happen. Sure, there are times when you will be forced to compromise on your sleep due to things like doctor's appointments and getting your car worked on and other things like that. You should never be afraid to fight back, though, especially with non-essential social engagements. Your friends will need to understand that you have to sleep during the day.  Don't cave to do something fun and regret it later. But there will be times where you will simply not be able to get enough sleep. Hopefully your supervisor will be understanding enough if you call in, since, after all, in that state you're probably less useful there than you would be at home sleeping. Just don't make a habit of it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SP Cook

In my part of the country, graveyard shift (called the hoot owl shift in coal miner slang) used to be very common.   In the old days, all coal mines worked 3 shifts (it doesn't matter when you are underground what the solar time is anyway). 

I knew lots of guys that did it for years and did very well, and lots of people that hated it.  The key?  Accept it, and this is a lot easier today in the era of 200 24/7/365 TV channels and other electronics.  And its a lot easier if you live alone or at least have no kids.  The guys that failed tried to reset their body clocks on off days. Do not do that.  Pick the 8 hours you are going to be asleep, and be asleep those 8 hours every day, even on your off days.

Other than that, simple things like taking the phone off the hook, getting a "day sleeper" sign for the door, blackout curtains or a mask, and such help.

bugo

I am at work right now.  I got here at 3pm and am getting off at 5am.  I then have to be back at 3pm tomorrow (today).  Yay for me.

DandyDan

I've worked the night shift at my job for 13 (almost 14) years, currently 7pm to 3:30am (approximately), but that has varied over time.  Most of the time, all I ever did was stop by the local coffee shop on the way to work and order a coffee and it usually worked, as long as there were not excessively long overtime.  When I eventually moved out from my parents, I got an apartment and specifically asked for a room which had the window facing west, so the sun wouldn't rise in my window. 
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

ZLoth

Well, as far as I am concerned, it begins one week from tonight.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

ZLoth

I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

bugo

We had another robbery, this time armed and on the graveyard shift.  It makes me a mite bit nervous to work overnights.

Jardine

I had a job back in the 80s where management had me change shift 5 times in 6 weeks.

It turns out that is a good way to put somebody in the psych ward.   :wow:

I'd suggest changing to a specific schedule and STICKING with it.  It isn't so much being on the 'wrong' shift, I think it is the change from one to another, and that is something you want to minimize.

Also, some people just aren't made for living out of sync with the rest of the world, you can consider alternatives if it really is a burden.

ZLoth

Quote from: Jardine on November 05, 2013, 09:30:37 AM
I'd suggest changing to a specific schedule and STICKING with it.  It isn't so much being on the 'wrong' shift, I think it is the change from one to another, and that is something you want to minimize.
I have learned that the best way to survive graveyard shift, based upon past experience, is to just stick with the schedule on the days off. If I don't like it, TOUGH, there are people out there who are willing to do it for less.  :pan: :sleep:

bugo

I got up at around 7am on the 6th.  I was on a jury and we were to be there at 9:30am.  I finally left the courthouse at 7pm.  I drove straight to work and have been here since about 7:30pm.  I will probably be getting off around 6:30am, and I have to be back at 3pm tomorrow.  I am scheduled to get off at 11pm but I might get talked into working a double.  It sucks working this much and getting paid so little.

If you're curious, the crime was felonious assault and battery causing great bodily harm, and the verdict was guilty.

ZLoth

On the third week of the grave scheduled. The grave shift is quieter than the day shift. Found this article: How Can I Get Used to Working the Night Shift?

msubulldog

Quote from: Jardine on November 05, 2013, 09:30:37 AM
I had a job back in the 80s where management had me change shift 5 times in 6 weeks.

It turns out that is a good way to put somebody in the psych ward.   :wow:

Also, some people just aren't made for living out of sync with the rest of the world, you can consider alternatives if it really is a burden.

I can relate to this thread in two ways. Between 1999 and 2001 I worked two different graveyard shift jobs at Target in Cary, NC--then a year later at Lowes Foods in Greensboro. Since then I have not had any permanent graveyard shifts (except for the rare time when I worked in inventory and had some overnight stores). I wonder if this could have led to me developing obstructive sleep apnea three years ago.
I can also relate to the shift change. I got a promotion in August where I've been working most of the past four years, but every month I have to go from working 7a-4p to working 3p-midnight. I have to change over this weekend as I do every first Sunday. What stinks for me is that this Saturday I have to work the late shift, but then the next morning be there at 7am. On top of that I will turn 50 in June, so I wonder if i can keep this up long-term?
"But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it."
Matt 7:14, NLT

CANALLER

How's it been going for you so far?

I switched back to days for the winter just before Christmas, and my insomniac body has no interest in getting up early in the morning when I normally would be settling in to sleep.

ZLoth

For the most part, I am enjoying the peace and quiet of nights and dealing with the foreign countries. However, my social life is wrecked. I'm still not getting used to the sleep pattern, and I'm finding that I have to sleep more during the day than I was during the night.

golden eagle

I once worked a graveyard. I worked for a company that was a contractor at a hospital. The one good thing was that I worked seven days on and seven off. Having those seven days off helped in adjusting to sleeping at different times.

US71

When I worked for EZ Mart, I found an old case of fountain mugs stuck in the back storeroom (I was bored and looking at stuff). I made a special display with the, sold them out and we had to order more. Two months later, I was Assistant Manager ;)

Super 8, I was often stuck folding towels the housekeepers didn't finish.

Comfort Inn, I was folding bed sheets.

Holiday Inn, I used the computer in back to type up a restaurant guide. ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Pete from Boston

Quote from: J N Winkler on October 15, 2013, 11:38:50 AM
I also suggest observing the following tips to minimize the negative health consequences of working graveyard:

*  Always aim for a full night's sleep (eight hours for most people)--never just the minimum you think you need to function.

*  Avoid starchy foods like bread or pasta except within two hours of bedtime.  Stick with meat, fruit, and vegetables whenever you need to be alert for the next few hours.

*  Slow down in low light before you go to bed.  (The standard recommendation is to avoid TV and staring at a computer screen right before bedtime.  I frequently ignore this, but I turn off the main light in my living area and try to avoid mentally demanding tasks like scripting, which risk sending me to bed keyed-up and unable to sleep.)

I lived this life for a while professionally, and then again at a number of periods of frequent long-distance travel.  Yes to the meats/vegs/no starch rule.  Also keep hydrated -- dehydration seems to make a bigger difference sooner when sleep-deprived. 

And don't just use coffee to get you through it.  Not only will it not work long enough or continually past a certain dosage, it'll also crash you harder and dehydrate you much sooner.

Regular exercise breaks (even just a brisk walk) have always helped my alertness over the long run, too.

bugo

Next week, I work an overnight, then a half day off, then a morning shift, then an evening shift the next day.  Yay.

US71

Quote from: bugo on February 05, 2014, 12:52:05 PM
Next week, I work an overnight, then a half day off, then a morning shift, then an evening shift the next day.  Yay.

Sounds like when I was at Comfort Inn: 3 Seconds,  2 Thirds, off one, 2 Seconds, 3 Thirds, off, then maybe a First, 2 Seonds and 2 Thirds
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.