News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

New Years Resolutions

Started by Laura, December 22, 2013, 11:23:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laura

We are less than ten days from the new year, so I'm just curious - anyone have any new years resolutions in the works?

My major resolution is to just be myself. It sounds like the anti-resolution, but I'm a perfectionist and sometimes try too hard to make everything just right and I worry too much about what others think, too, at the expense of my own sanity.

My roadgeek resolution is to, each week, pick a new state and focus on learning about its major highways. My roadgeek knowledge is very regional, and I'd like to learn more about the roads in other states.

corco

A) Make 2014 a notable year- 2013 was pretty much a lost year for me, I did nothing of note, just showed up to work and collected a paycheck and took a few roadtrips but nothing epic. Nothing good happened, nothing bad happened. I'm hoping for an exciting 2014 to make up for it!
B) Get in shape (says everybody)
C) Finish driving the Idaho highway system
D) Take a big roadtrip to somewhere new (probably drive to NYC via Quebec for the NYC meet)

Alps

hbelkins

I tend not to make resolutions or set goals based on a date on the calendar.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NE2

1920x1200, same as the old year.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vdeane

I'm afraid my life isn't stable enough for me to try to come up with anything.  For some reason, every time I start to make progress towards goals, everything collapses.  2014 will probably be a lost year just trying to fix the late 2013 collapse.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Takumi

Same as 2013, to not buy a Prelude...wait, crap.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Duke87

Quote from: Laura Bianca on December 22, 2013, 11:23:22 AM
My roadgeek resolution is to, each week, pick a new state and focus on learning about its major highways.

You're going to run out of states before you run out of weeks. :) But I suppose throw DC and PR on there and you've got a nice set of 52.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

SSOWorld

1920x1280 ;)

EDIT: Oops - SPUI beat me to it :happy:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

CNGL-Leudimin

I guess I'll continue stuck in 1280x800...

Seriously, I have to go out and explore my country.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

wxfree

My New Year's resolution is to hit rock bottom.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

J N Winkler

Screen resolutions:  1920 x 1080 on my primary computer, 1280 x 800 on my secondary.

New Year's resolutions:

*  Be more active socially

*  Stay in better touch with my extended network of friends

*  Travel more--try to visit the states in the continental US I haven't been to already (AL, LA, WI, GA), try to carry through plans to visit Death Valley and the Texas border country, try to visit countries in western and northern Europe I haven't already been to (B, N, DK, FIN)

*  Knock off the major state DOTs for which plans collecting is not already automated by script (in 2013 I whittled down the list to PA, GA, and MO when I took care of IL, IN, and MI)

*  Get started on a detective novel

A variation of "Get in shape" was actually one of my New Year's resolutions for 2013.  Given my build (ectomorph with little potential for weight gain or loss), this translated to building muscle through focused resistance training.  I have maintained a regimen of two to three gym visits per week (length ranging from 60 to 90 minutes, averaging 75 minutes), and over the course of 2013 I increased the core tonnage on the exercises I do regularly by about a third.  I plan to continue going to the gym in 2014, but don't expect a comparable percentage increase in my core tonnage; I think that would require me to expose myself to much greater risk of joint, ligament, or tendon failure.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

sammi

(I've been offline for the past 5 days. There was so much to wake up to this morning. :pan:)

1280x800. And it'll probably stay that way... :/

Well. I have:

- Go around and collect some states/provinces. So far I have CA, FL, NY, NJ, MI, IN, IL, ON, QC; we might be doing OH, PA in the summer (or the Philippines, depending on whether we have enough money for a plane flight by then)

- Finish working on Road Sign Maker

- Have my transition done, except the parts that I can only do when I'm 18

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.