News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

People who should be here but aren't

Started by hbelkins, February 02, 2014, 04:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Who should be here but isn't?

Jim Georges (Freewayjim)
Gene VanDusseldorp
Rich Piehl

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bugo

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Desert Man

Someone who invited me to Unexplained-mysteries from a totally spies forum, but I don't know if she cares for this forum. I know someone who posts in that forum here (waves "hi" to him) might also know her. When wires cross in the internet, you're bound to meet someone you already known elsewhere.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hbelkins

Quote from: Mike D boy on February 02, 2014, 04:42:13 PM
Someone who invited me to Unexplained-mysteries from a totally spies forum, but I don't know if she cares for this forum. I know someone who posts in that forum here (waves "hi" to him) might also know her. When wires cross in the internet, you're bound to meet someone you already known elsewhere.

I've had a few people I knew of who were active or lurkers on rec.autos.sport.nascar also show up occasionally on MTR. Damon Scott Hynes is one.

Brandon

Quote from: hbelkins on February 02, 2014, 04:12:44 PM

Jim Georges (Freewayjim)
Gene VanDusseldorp
Rich Piehl

Rich Piehl is here from time to time, usually in the Midwest forum.  Now, Rich Carlson, IMHO should be here more often.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

bing101

Brent Jonas of FreewayBrent he does Roadgeek videos  mainly in California but there are some Canada scenes included from his youtube profile.

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on February 02, 2014, 04:12:44 PM

Jim Georges (Freewayjim)
Gene VanDusseldorp
Rich Piehl

I've spoken to Gene about the forum, but doesn't seem real interested.

I've also spoken with David Backlin in Branson (power of 7) and he's semi-interested, but doesn't have a lot of time due to work and recently getting hitched.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Jardine

US71

Quote from: Takumi on February 02, 2014, 07:11:51 PM
Women

Haven't seen Darkchylde since last Summer, now that you mention it. Probably busy.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

Quote from: Brandon on February 02, 2014, 07:42:59 PM
Now, Rich Carlson, IMHO should be here more often.

Seconded.

There are a few people from the Roadgeek mailing list who may be here but active only in their regional boards.

What prompted this was roadman's rant on another thread about someone very well known who hasn't joined. I was wondering who it might be. (And hoping it's not Calrog.  :-D )

I know one person who was very active on MTR but won't come because he seems to be adverse to a PHP-based message board.

Alps

Women
What, plural? :D

* Canadians * - they're still using the calamity that is Yahoo. I expect that as Yahoo starts upgrading degrading, they may think about a move.
* Australians * - using Google Groups, unlikely to migrate anytime soon en masse.
Some MTR regulars who have accounts here but barely post

Finally...
Our chat now has a few regular members (me, bugo, bandit73, corco, dougtone, molandfreak) and some occasional/potential regular ones (Laura, sammi, yanksfan61527), but very few people who come in for anything except trivia. It would be great to have more people showing up and checking it out, especially some of the old chat netizens like Jeff K., Adam P., Brian L., etc.
... is Brian even on here? I don't see a Dr_Pepper posting anywhere.

Scott5114

I always hoped C.C. Slater would join us, but I've heard that he isn't really involved in the whole roadgeek thing anymore.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

froggie

QuoteAdam P., Brian L.

Given that both of these two are married with children, I doubt you'll see them get on chat.  They both (Adam especially) also have hobbies outside of transportation.

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Duke87

Quote from: US71 on February 02, 2014, 11:08:13 PM
Women

Haven't seen Darkchylde since last Summer, now that you mention it. Probably busy.

Darkchylde is still quite active on Twitter and Tumblr. But not posting about roads. Moved on to other interests, it would seem.

Same story with C.C. Slater. Still very active on Facebook but not posting about roads.

Michael Summa would love to join us but he has health issues which make typing difficult for him.

On a broader note, I do find it interesting how there isn't much in the way of global cohesiveness among roadgeeks the same way there is among some other communities. A SimCity forum I'm on has members from all over the world and is largely known as the biggest site of its kind. This forum is extremely US-centric with only a sprinkling of Canadians and a couple people from Europe. Roadgeeks from other countries exist in plentiful numbers but they have their own separate communities which don't interact with each other much.

There are three reasons why I believe this is the case:
1) Your average roadgeek, regardless of where they are from, does not travel overseas to do roadgeeking (either due to lack of interest, lack of financial means, or lack of social aptitude to handle being in a foreign place). This means that for a lot of people talking extensively about American roads, the subject of roads in, say, Australia is comparatively boring. And vice versa. So people from different countries lack motivation to mingle.
2) Your average roadgeek that grows up in a non-English-speaking country is probably less likely than average to learn English or any second language (this is known to be challenging for people "on the spectrum"), and thus language barriers are more of a problem than they would be for "normal" people.
3) The roadgeek community places a lot more focus on IRL meetups than your average online community would. This means people who live in the same region end up forming much closer relationships than people who have an ocean between them - so distance becomes a factor, unlike in a community where people pretty much only interact online.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

NE2

Quote from: Duke87 on February 03, 2014, 10:21:57 PM
On a broader note, I do find it interesting how there isn't much in the way of global cohesiveness among roadgeeks the same way there is among some other communities.
In my experience it's similar with railfans, and it's probably so for any other geographically-tied hobby.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 03, 2014, 10:16:12 PM
Michael Summa

I'm pretty sure he reads (lurks). He made several references to the forum when I met him at the Pikeville meet.

I was always convinced that Randy Hersh had an account here, but I suspect that he, too, lurked but didn't post. When he wasn't being purposefully obnoxious, he had a great deal of knowledge to share.

Laura

Scott Kozel, Allen Seth Dunn, Derrick Stuart, anyone else from the mtr days that I can't bring to mind

Lou Corsaro isn't here, or is he?

hbelkins

Scott Kozel used to be here.

Whatever happened to Sandor Gulyas? He used to be here, but hasn't been active in a long time.

Brandon

Quote from: hbelkins on February 05, 2014, 10:43:30 AM
Scott Kozel used to be here.

Whatever happened to Sandor Gulyas? He used to be here, but hasn't been active in a long time.

He goes to the meets, and he is "Hot Rod Hootenanny" here.  IIRC, he was at the Cincinnati meet last October.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

bugo

hbelkins

Quote from: Brandon on February 05, 2014, 10:50:43 AM
He goes to the meets, and he is "Hot Rod Hootenanny" here.  IIRC, he was at the Cincinnati meet last October.

I knew his handle here, but he has been MIA for awhile now.

There are a few from "Roadgeek" who probably should be here. John Spafford and Rich Dean are a couple. (Or maybe they already are but I don't know their nyms here).

bugo

I met John a few months ago and he's a good guy.  We drove around Tulsa and had Elmer's BBQ.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.