News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Hockey

Started by BigMattFromTexas, March 15, 2010, 08:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy F 1988

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 06, 2021, 07:44:41 AM
The Athletic reports the NHL sold the naming rights to the divisions for this upcoming season only.

I'm curious. What naming rights is that article referring to? Like the names of the conferences and divisions? Sponsors and endorsers?
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Alps

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on January 06, 2021, 07:55:35 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on January 06, 2021, 07:44:41 AM
The Athletic reports the NHL sold the naming rights to the divisions for this upcoming season only.

I'm curious. What naming rights is that article referring to? Like the names of the conferences and divisions? Sponsors and endorsers?
Check out today's news and you'll see what's being given out. Helmets and divisions.

1995hoo

This year, the divisions will be the MassMutual NHL East Division, the Scotia NHL North Division (all Canadian teams), the Discover NHL Central Division, and the Honda NHL West Division. I assume nobody other than league officials and broadcasters are likely to use those names.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kevinb1994

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 07, 2021, 07:49:05 AM
This year, the divisions will be the MassMutual NHL East Division, the Scotia NHL North Division (all Canadian teams), the Discover NHL Central Division, and the Honda NHL West Division. I assume nobody other than league officials and broadcasters are likely to use those names.
I wonder what Jeff Lynne has to say about the very disco one. ;)

1995hoo

Quote from: kevinb1994 on January 07, 2021, 08:11:00 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on January 07, 2021, 07:49:05 AM
I wonder what Jeff Lynne has to say about the very disco one. ;)

Hopefully it won't cause any Confusion.

ET21

It's nice to have hockey back
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

1995hoo

The Lake Tahoe setting looks spectacular. Of course it's a publicity stunt, but who cares.

texaskdog

Quote from: ftballfan on August 19, 2020, 10:01:36 AM
Considering the currently strained relations between the US and Canada (which is why the Blue Jays are playing their home games in Buffalo this year and why the Raptors might have to play at least part of the 2020-21 NBA season at either a home site in the States or as a traveling team), I wonder if for the 2020-21 season only, the divisions could be done a little differently in order to have all the Canadian teams in one division and the American teams split between the other three, with the first few weeks of the season being only divisional games.

Northern Division: Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver, Winnipeg
Western Division: Anaheim, Arizona, Colorado, Dallas, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Minnesota, San Jose
Central Division: Carolina, Chicago, Columbus, Detroit, Florida, Nashville, St. Louis, Tampa Bay
Eastern Division: Boston, Buffalo, New Jersey, NY Islanders, NY Rangers, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington

Genius.  Wish it would stay that way.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: texaskdog on February 21, 2021, 10:28:42 PM
Quote from: ftballfan on August 19, 2020, 10:01:36 AM
Considering the currently strained relations between the US and Canada (which is why the Blue Jays are playing their home games in Buffalo this year and why the Raptors might have to play at least part of the 2020-21 NBA season at either a home site in the States or as a traveling team), I wonder if for the 2020-21 season only, the divisions could be done a little differently in order to have all the Canadian teams in one division and the American teams split between the other three, with the first few weeks of the season being only divisional games.

Northern Division: Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver, Winnipeg
Western Division: Anaheim, Arizona, Colorado, Dallas, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Minnesota, San Jose
Central Division: Carolina, Chicago, Columbus, Detroit, Florida, Nashville, St. Louis, Tampa Bay
Eastern Division: Boston, Buffalo, New Jersey, NY Islanders, NY Rangers, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington

Genius.  Wish it would stay that way.

The Canadian teams are never going to agree to permanently lose out on the TV revenue of the big US markets.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

NWI_Irish96

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-espn-disney-reach-groundbreaking-seven-year-rights-deal/c-322346092

Apparently the NHL is going with a pair of TV partners beginning next season. For the past several years, NBC has had exclusive rights to all national broadcasts. Today they announced that ABC/ESPN are going to carry roughly half of the playoff games beginning next season. There's no mention of who is getting the other half, but I have to think it's going to be NBC. This fits in with NBC's plans to shut down NBCSN and move much of their sports content to USA.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: cabiness42 on March 10, 2021, 02:50:32 PM
https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-espn-disney-reach-groundbreaking-seven-year-rights-deal/c-322346092

Apparently the NHL is going with a pair of TV partners beginning next season. For the past several years, NBC has had exclusive rights to all national broadcasts. Today they announced that ABC/ESPN are going to carry roughly half of the playoff games beginning next season. There's no mention of who is getting the other half, but I have to think it's going to be NBC. This fits in with NBC's plans to shut down NBCSN and move much of their sports content to USA.

I'm hoping this will increase hockey's popularity.  Speaking for myself, I remember very vividly Gary Thorne calling games throughout the 90's and early 2000's.  You would always see great hockey highlights on SportsCenter.  Once ESPN stopped showing hockey, the highlights diminished and I completely lost touch with the sport.  I used to know every star player, and now I doubt I can name 25 players in the NHL, which, as a native Minnesotan, is sacrilegious.  I want to get back into hockey, but with the lack of ability to watch it (I don't have the local Avalanche channel and it's expensive to go to games), it makes it a challenge to do so.

Chris

Henry

Quote from: jayhawkco on March 10, 2021, 04:13:40 PM

I'm hoping this will increase hockey's popularity.  Speaking for myself, I remember very vividly Gary Thorne calling games throughout the 90's and early 2000's.  You would always see great hockey highlights on SportsCenter.  Once ESPN stopped showing hockey, the highlights diminished and I completely lost touch with the sport.  I used to know every star player, and now I doubt I can name 25 players in the NHL, which, as a native Minnesotan, is sacrilegious.  I want to get back into hockey, but with the lack of ability to watch it (I don't have the local Avalanche channel and it's expensive to go to games), it makes it a challenge to do so.

Chris
So this is going to be like the NFL playoffs whose games are rotated between all four networks (technically three, since ESPN's wild-card coverage is also simulcast on ABC). I remember when MLB also split its games (regular season and postseason) between two networks, seems like a million years ago.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Henry on March 10, 2021, 08:18:38 PM

Chris
So this is going to be like the NFL playoffs whose games are rotated between all four networks (technically three, since ESPN's wild-card coverage is also simulcast on ABC). I remember when MLB also split its games (regular season and postseason) between two networks, seems like a million years ago.

I haven't seen anything that explicitly says that the NHL is going to have 2 TV partners, but the way this release is worded, with ESPN/ABC getting 4 of the next 7 cup finals and one conference finals each year, pretty much means that has to be the case. I can't see playoff games moving to a premium tier.

1995hoo

The thing it makes me wonder is that there was a mention of ESPN's streaming service, as well as Hulu, so I wonder whether any games will air exclusively on said platforms such that we wind up paying for yet another streaming service.

ET21

Gary Thorne is interested in returning to call ESPN games. This will be quite interesting to watch and may actually make me go for the ESPN+/Hulu bundled with Disney+

Clinched:

JayhawkCO

Quote from: ET21 on March 11, 2021, 11:43:54 AM
Gary Thorne is interested in returning to call ESPN games. This will be quite interesting to watch and may actually make me go for the ESPN+/Hulu bundled with Disney+

Iconic Voices Per Sport
Baseball: Jack Buck
Football (Pro): John Madden
Football (College): Keith Jackson
Basketball (Pro): Marv Albert
Basketball (College): Dick Vitale
Hockey: Gary Thorne

(Some of these for better or worse.)

Chris

Alps

Quote from: jayhawkco on March 12, 2021, 12:47:44 PM
Quote from: ET21 on March 11, 2021, 11:43:54 AM

Iconic Voices Per Sport
Baseball: Jack Buck
Football (Pro): John Madden
Football (College): Keith Jackson
Basketball (Pro): Marv Albert
Basketball (College): Dick Vitale
Hockey: Gary Thorne

(Some of these for better or worse.)

Chris
Marv Albert: the test case for how far we have or haven't come with sexual assault allegations.

Big John

ET21

NHL trade deadline today

Clinched:

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: ET21 on April 12, 2021, 09:47:36 AM
NHL trade deadline today

Bruins have already made a couple moves, including the worst kept secret: trading for Taylor Hall.  Didn't cost them much: Anders Bjork and a 2nd rounder. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Alps

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on April 12, 2021, 10:20:17 AM
Quote from: ET21 on April 12, 2021, 09:47:36 AM
NHL trade deadline today

Bruins have already made a couple moves, including the worst kept secret: trading for Taylor Hall.  Didn't cost them much: Anders Bjork and a 2nd rounder. 
Maybe he'll finally amount to something!

1995hoo

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: cabiness42 on March 11, 2021, 07:10:50 AM

Chris

I haven't seen anything that explicitly says that the NHL is going to have 2 TV partners, but the way this release is worded, with ESPN/ABC getting 4 of the next 7 cup finals and one conference finals each year, pretty much means that has to be the case. I can't see playoff games moving to a premium tier.

The other shoe has dropped. Turner sports is going to be the 2nd TV partner, meaning NBC is out of the picture entirely after this season.

kevinb1994

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 27, 2021, 02:07:08 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on March 11, 2021, 07:10:50 AM

Chris

The other shoe has dropped. Turner sports is going to be the 2nd TV partner, meaning NBC is out of the picture entirely after this season.
Ouch, that is going to hurt at NBC Studios.

Henry

Turner certainly has a lot going on these days, with MLB, the NBA, split March Madness coverage with CBS, and now the NHL. One has to wonder how this will impact their NBA coverage, and the same goes for ESPN/ABC, who will now cover both leagues for the first time in 17 years.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.