Local/regional fast food chains you wish were nationwide?

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 06, 2019, 06:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

planxtymcgillicuddy

For me, I'd have to go with Bojangles. They're spreading through the southeast and up the east coast, but there's not one on every exit like there is here in the Carolinas. I've found that Bojangles is a less-greasy alternative to CFA
It's easy to be easy when you're easy...

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?

sprjus4

nexus73

Raising Cane's gets my vote.  To their credit, they have expanded nicely but there is a lot of map to cover before they are a Big Time Player.

Honorable mention: The Habit. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

planxtymcgillicuddy

sprjus4

planxtymcgillicuddy

Quote from: nexus73 on November 06, 2019, 06:30:05 PM
Raising Cane's gets my vote.  To their credit, they have expanded nicely but there is a lot of map to cover before they are a Big Time Player.

Honorable mention: The Habit. 

Rick

Cane's is really starting to spread. I think there's one or two here in NC, but they're right in the heart of Bojangles/CFA territory, so we'll see how they fare

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Brandon

Roy Rogers.  Best roast beef I've had at this type of restaurant and beats Arby's handily.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Max Rockatansky

Chicken Shack out of Fresno would make for a way better fast wing stop than the typical Buffalo Wild Wilds/Wing Shack crap that is out there.

oscar

Quote from: Brandon on November 06, 2019, 07:17:11 PM
Roy Rogers.  Best roast beef I've had at this type of restaurant and beats Arby's handily.

I love its burgers.

But I wish Tim Hortons (nationwide in Canada) would expand its U.S. presence beyond the northern tier of the eastern states. Also, that it expand its U.S. locations' menu to match the Canadian locations'.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: planxtymcgillicuddy on November 06, 2019, 06:26:07 PM
For me, I'd have to go with Bojangles. They're spreading through the southeast and up the east coast, but there's not one on every exit like there is here in the Carolinas. I've found that Bojangles is a less-greasy alternative to CFA

I thought Bo's tasted like a drier, less flavorful Popeyes.

Mine would be Church's Chicken.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

ilpt4u

Portillo's

I'd settle for fully Statewide in Illinois, first!

dlsterner

Roy Rogers - There are a handful here in the Maryland/Virginia area. Although I think peak market penetration was back in the 80's, it's still holding on even though twice corporate ownership tried to kill it off.  Personally I feel Roy's roast beef sandwich is vastly superior to the ones at Arby's.  And their chicken is pretty good too.

Smashburger - Been impressed the few times I've stopped there.  Especially the Smashtots :)

Some places that aren't in this area yet - Zaxby's and Whataburger.  I've hear good things about Culver's, but want to eat at one before adding it to my list.

zzyzx

Sheetz.  It's morphed from a gas station to a fast food convenience store over the years.  They're slowing expanding south, but I would love to see something close to a Sheetz in California! 

planxtymcgillicuddy

Quote from: dlsterner on November 06, 2019, 11:20:56 PM
Roy Rogers - There are a handful here in the Maryland/Virginia area. Although I think peak market penetration was back in the 80's, it's still holding on even though twice corporate ownership tried to kill it off.  Personally I feel Roy's roast beef sandwich is vastly superior to the ones at Arby's.  And their chicken is pretty good too.

Smashburger - Been impressed the few times I've stopped there.  Especially the Smashtots :)

Some places that aren't in this area yet - Zaxby's and Whataburger.  I've hear good things about Culver's, but want to eat at one before adding it to my list.

I could have sworn Maryland had Zaxby's

jeffandnicole

corco

In n Out- not because it's particularly amazing but because people would finally shut up about it

kphoger

Smashburger

Oooooohhh!  Yeah!  Although I'd personally settle for it just coming back to Wichita.  They closed down a while ago.

My top pick would be Steak 'n Shake.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Mark68

Quote from: oscar on November 06, 2019, 08:32:34 PM
Quote from: Brandon on November 06, 2019, 07:17:11 PM

I love its burgers.

But I wish Tim Hortons (nationwide in Canada) would expand its U.S. presence beyond the northern tier of the eastern states. Also, that it expand its U.S. locations' menu to match the Canadian locations'.

This reminded me of a scene in the new season of "Jack Ryan" where Ryan and Greer are pretending to set up a coffee exporting business with this Venezuelan lawyer who specializes in setting up shell companies, and when asked for a name, Greer says "Timothy Horton".

Got a chuckle out of that.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

Mark68

Quote from: kphoger on November 07, 2019, 12:46:49 PM
Smashburger

Oooooohhh!  Yeah!  Although I'd personally settle for it just coming back to Wichita.  They closed down a while ago.

My top pick would be Steak 'n Shake.

Love Smashburger (founded in Denver, BTW).

We lost a Steak 'n Shake location a few months ago, now there is only one remaining in Denver Metro.

I miss Steak 'n Shake chili.

They need to add more Shake Shacks here (there are two).

In n Out is coming to our area, however. And we now have Cane's. They're popping up everywhere.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

jp the roadgeek

Speaking of Tim Horton's, I'm surprised sister restaurant Burger King hasn't added its coffee to its menu or offered Timbits as part of its breakfast menu.  Tim Horton's did expand into Southern New England about 15 years ago when it took over many former Bess Eaton locations.  Even a couple of new ones opened up in conjunction with Coldstone Creamery.  However, like Krispy Kreme, Timmy's was doomed by the fact they were impeding on Dunkin's home turf, and now Timmy's is gone from the area.  Ironically, a new generation of Bess Eaton arose a few years ago, and now there are a couple locations in the South County RI/ Mystic CT area. 

Smashburger has expanded its footprint.  We have them here in CT and the one in my town seems to be doing well.  The one local chain I was love to see take off is Nardelli's.  Great fresh sandwich shop and you get your $$'s worth compared to Subway, plus the meat is sliced fresh and it's like a small deli with some of the offerings.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

webny99

Quote from: oscar on November 06, 2019, 08:32:34 PM
I wish Tim Hortons (nationwide in Canada) would expand its U.S. presence beyond the northern tier of the eastern states.

Me too; to be honest, they're so mainstream around here that I almost forget they aren't nationwide, resulting in various "wait, what?" moments when reminded of such while traveling to other parts of the country.

kphoger

Quote from: LM117 on November 06, 2019, 06:42:58 PM
White Castle.

That would be nice.  Although, it's been so long since I've been to one (more than 13 years), it's entirely possible my tastes have changed since then and I wouldn't like it now.  But yeah, considering the chain started here in Wichita, it would be nice to have one within 300 miles...

Quote from: ilpt4u on November 06, 2019, 08:55:25 PM
Portillo's

I'd settle for fully Statewide in Illinois, first!

Hellzz to the yeah!  Shoot, I'd settle for just Kansas City, so I could stop in once a year or whatever during road trips.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

briantroutman

Honestly–taking into account all of the practicalities associated with a nationwide expansion–my answer would be none.

I can't think of a single chain that is just as good nationally as it is (or was) locally or regionally. And that's before taking into account the fact that national ubiquity makes any previously exclusive experience seem decidedly less special.

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on November 07, 2019, 01:42:26 PM
Speaking of Tim Horton's, I'm surprised sister restaurant Burger King hasn't added its coffee to its menu or offered Timbits as part of its breakfast menu.

This is a good example. Why is going to Tim Hortons special to me? Because if I'm at one, it generally means that I'm being waited on by a friendly, smiling Canadian in a sparkling clean restaurant in Canada–and getting a slightly different donut that, while not particularly remarkable, is at least fresh (usually) and noticeably different from I'm used to at Dunkin' or a local place.

Burger King's parent (Restaurant Brands International) apparently has been making some effort to push cross-branding. A few years ago, I was surprised to see billboards on US 15 north of Harrisburg proclaiming "Tim Hortons - Now Open" . I stopped to find a Sheetz-sized convenience store, half of which was occupied by a fairly standard Burger King. The other side was a garden-variety convenience store. In this case, "Tim Horton's"  was a small plexiglass cabinet haphazardly stocked with about five varieties of donuts and a couple types of Timbits–all of which were hopelessly stale. Beside the cabinet were a couple of carafes of burnt coffee bearing the Tim Hortons logo–just to round out the experience. I packed some Timbits into a box and took it up to the convenience store's register where a sour-faced woman silently took my card and gave me a receipt. The experience was completely devoid of nearly everything that makes Tim Hortons special to me.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: corco on November 07, 2019, 10:22:59 AM
In n Out- not because it's particularly amazing but because people would finally shut up about it

Went there for the first time this summer.  The burgers are really, really good, but the lack of other menu items (have a daughter who likes chicken but not burgers) and the lack of the ability to get bacon on the burger make it a place I wouldn't go to often if it were near me.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.