News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Songs you were afraid of

Started by bandit957, December 03, 2019, 10:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GCrites

That's the one! The only commercial release I know of with that version was the late '90s Ozzy Osbourne greatest hits/rarities package The Ozzman Cometh.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: GCrites80s on December 09, 2019, 09:12:23 PM
That's the one! The only commercial release I know of with that version was the late '90s Ozzy Osbourne greatest hits/rarities package The Ozzman Cometh.
Is that like The Nightman Cometh?

GCrites

Henry

For me, it would be the Dragnet theme:

DUN-DA-DUN-DUN...
DUN-DA-DUN-DUN-DUNNNNNNNN!!!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

TheHighwayMan3561

A lot of Pink Floyd's Wall record because too much of it hit too close to home for my mental health issues.

Ditto with Van Der Graaf Generator's "Man-Erg", off their Pawn Hearts record.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

PHLBOS

Quote from: Henry on December 12, 2019, 10:23:41 AM

DUN-DA-DUN-DUN...
If we're including instrumental themes; then one could include the Jaws theme as well while watching the franchise films, especially for the first time.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Henry

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 12, 2019, 03:33:25 PM
Quote from: Henry on December 12, 2019, 10:23:41 AM

DUN-DA-DUN-DUN...
If we're including instrumental themes; then one could include the Jaws theme as well while watching the franchise films, especially for the first time.
Oh yeah...totally forgot about that one.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

hbelkins

Now that it's mentioned, I have that Ozzy "best of" set so I'd heard the demo of "Black Sabbath" before, but I guess I had never paid the extra verse any attention.

Truth be told, most modern music scares me because it's so bad. I can't remember the last new release I bought. Probably Metallica's "Hardwired to Self Destruct" or Sammy Hagar & The Circle's "At Your Service."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bandit957

There's a couple YouTube pages where people post a montage of the entire top 100 songs each week from Billboard's Hot 100 chart. I don't think there's been a single good new song on the chart in months. The Christmas songs from the 1940s that re-chart every year are better than the new songs.

Good new songs don't chart. I thought "Crooked Teeth" by Papa Roach would be a #1 smash, but the song didn't even chart.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

SectorZ

Quote from: bandit957 on December 13, 2019, 12:05:12 PM
There's a couple YouTube pages where people post a montage of the entire top 100 songs each week from Billboard's Hot 100 chart. I don't think there's been a single good new song on the chart in months. The Christmas songs from the 1940s that re-chart every year are better than the new songs.

Good new songs don't chart. I thought "Crooked Teeth" by Papa Roach would be a #1 smash, but the song didn't even chart.

If you expect a modern metal song to even enter the top 100, let alone hit #1, you're gonna have a bad time.

Given in the 80's metal bands couldn't put out #1 hits unless they were ballads. Probably the heaviest near #1 songs were "Dr. Feelgood" by Motley Crue or "Cult of Personality" by Living Colour, and even those hit just #6 and #13 respectively.

Verlanka

Quote from: bandit957 on December 13, 2019, 12:05:12 PM
The Christmas songs from the 1940s that re-chart every year are better than the new songs.
Especially since two of them are now in the top of the chart.

KeithE4Phx

I'm afraid of any Justin Bieber "song" because my ears may melt right off my head.  :)
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

tolbs17

I was afraid of Bia Bia Lil Jon because it was too bassy!

GCrites

This song actually scared me a bit. I probably didn't hear it until I was 37 or 38. Too much strange timing and antagonized delivery I suppose.

https://youtu.be/iLns0512AD0

US 89

This song still scares me, to the extent that it can be called “music”:

roadman65

AC/ DC Highway to Hell scares me cause it talks about being damned!
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

crt08

I never liked Hotel California by The Eagles, although I liked their other songs. The interludes in the song just sounded so sad and although the place was figurative, I always got this picture of some old hotel in the middle of nowhere and wondered if they ever got out. lol

Also somebody mentioned the Guiding Light theme. My mother used to watch The Young and the Restless, and as a little kid that theme was a bit scary. The beginning there's a piano theme that out of nowhere goes dun dun dun dun dun dun dunnnn, along with the red Y&R was a bit scary for some reason to me.

texaskdog

Helter Skelter

American Pie is another one "this will be the day that I die"

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: crt08 on January 01, 2020, 08:52:25 AM
I never liked Hotel California by The Eagles, although I liked their other songs. The interludes in the song just sounded so sad and although the place was figurative, I always got this picture of some old hotel in the middle of nowhere and wondered if they ever got out. lol

For some reason I always envisioned "the dark desert highway"  as CA 190 East of US 395.  I get that the "beast"  is a metaphor for addiction but it's hard not to get the mental image of people attempting to use their "steely"  eyes via some sort of telepathy trying to "stab"  some monster in the basement of the Hotel California. 

roadman

Quote from: crt08 on January 01, 2020, 08:52:25 AM

When I hear Hotel California, it always reminds me of the "I'm going in Mom.  There's a vacancy" bit from the Firesign Theater's album How Can You Be In Two Places At Once When You're Not Anywhere At All.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

TheGrassGuy

If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

kphoger

Of course, with Hotel California, there really were creepy urban legends going around about the meaning of the song.  I think those legends make the lyrics creepier, even if I know they aren't true.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TheGrassGuy

Kenny G - Midnight Motion. Not the original, but the live version. It was the drop in volume, the profundity of the bass, the increase in tempo, and the obnoxious-to-my-four-year-old-ears revelry of the audience at the end that caused my childhood to become scarred.
Original: https://youtu.be/Uj4CzJyQSCI
Live: https://youtu.be/xwmHOLoCyHU
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

wriddle082

Mr Roboto by Styx was a bit scary to me as a kid, especially because the first time I heard it was at night on a camping trip in East TN.  Nowadays I think that song is hilarious!

ClassicHasClass

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on January 03, 2020, 02:39:48 PM
Haydn's Surprise Symphony

Depends on how loud it is. I've heard some versions that would send me into the ceiling if I wasn't paying attention, and others which were very smooth (yet, unsurprising  :bigass: ).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.