News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Favorite restaurant chains

Started by ftballfan, August 11, 2011, 02:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

For chain wings, BW3 is at the bottom of the list. They came out extra-tiny and the sauce was uninspiring. (And I'm positive their wings are mass-sourced, so don't tell me it's just one restaurant.) Hooters' wings are meaty, and when you get up into the 9-1-1/3 Mile Island range, the sauces are actually quite good. I've never taken issue with their hot chicken products - and have never seen a reason to order anything else - but they have nice portions of healthy-looking and good-tasting food, and that's all I ask. (Now, I try to avoid chains to the Nth degree, but that's a different matter.)

Mr_Northside

I've found Buffalo Wild Wings wings to be pretty decent, though not a place I go out of my way to get to.
I can't vouch for Hooters wings, since I've never eaten there, but friends, whose wing opinions I trust, mostly have negative reviews.

I've also heard that the "satellite" Quaker Steak & Lube locations wings weren't that great... but my friend & I did go to the original in Sharon (PA), and enjoyed the experience (my one complaint, they dump the sauce on top of the wings in a bucket, so the wings on the bottom end up way to dry for my liking)

By and large, I've found that I'm most likely to find great wings at non-chain places.  Of course, a non-chain place is by no means guaranteed to have good wings, many don't... but my friend and I have found some pretty great wings in western PA on various wing tours.

And my personal favorite is still Sidelines Bar & Grill in Millvale.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

cjk374

Hooters wings are usually meaty, but the one's I had w/the honey-thai sauce looked like they came from banny roosters... REAL small wings!!   :no:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

realjd

Quote from: Steve on January 09, 2013, 10:23:32 PM
For chain wings, BW3 is at the bottom of the list. They came out extra-tiny and the sauce was uninspiring. (And I'm positive their wings are mass-sourced, so don't tell me it's just one restaurant.) Hooters' wings are meaty, and when you get up into the 9-1-1/3 Mile Island range, the sauces are actually quite good. I've never taken issue with their hot chicken products - and have never seen a reason to order anything else - but they have nice portions of healthy-looking and good-tasting food, and that's all I ask. (Now, I try to avoid chains to the Nth degree, but that's a different matter.)

What sauce did you have? You have to venture beyond the normal medium/hot to get to BWW's good stuff.

Wing size there isn't store dependent but rather night dependent. On their 35 cent wing night they tend to serve smaller wings in my experience. I typically stick with their awesome boneless wings when I go there.

Alps

Quote from: realjd on January 11, 2013, 06:42:52 PM

What sauce did you have? You have to venture beyond the normal medium/hot to get to BWW's good stuff.
Normal hot to me is mild, if you'd like an idea. Obviously they had nothing I found hot, but the flavor was just terrible.

realjd

Quote from: Steve on January 11, 2013, 09:22:45 PM
Quote from: realjd on January 11, 2013, 06:42:52 PM

Normal hot to me is mild, if you'd like an idea. Obviously they had nothing I found hot, but the flavor was just terrible.

I meant you have to go to other nontraditional flavors. If you like heat, they have an excellent mango habanero sauce that's extremely spicy. I'm fond of their Asian zing (thai sweet chili style) and Caribbean jerk sauces.

Road Hog

I like the Parmesan Garlic sauce at BWW. It's different. Most other places, I prefer my wings dry with separate sauces to dip them in.

cjk374

Quote from: Road Hog on January 12, 2013, 01:08:27 AM
Most other places, I prefer my wings dry with separate sauces to dip them in.

Where can you go to find wings you can dip yourself?

Road Hog

Quote from: cjk374 on January 12, 2013, 10:50:51 AM
Quote from: Road Hog on January 12, 2013, 01:08:27 AM
Most other places, I prefer my wings dry with separate sauces to dip them in.

Where can you go to find wings you can dip yourself?

I'd think most places would prepare them that way if you asked.

cjk374

I forgot about one of my favorite places.  They have 3 restaurants...Foley, AL; Ozark, MO; Sikeston,MO...so I consider them a chain.  :-P

It's called Lambert's.  They are known as "the home of the throwed roll".  The dinner rolls they throw across the dining room are delicious as well as their menu items.  I gave a roll thrower hell one day.  I was in one corner of the dining room, and I purposefully waited for him to get to the opposite corner before I held my hand up.  Between him & me were ceiling fans (one was on), and other patrons.  He gave a look that said, "oh boy, here goes nothing".  He threw it & it made a bee-line for the fan...showering the masses with bread from heaven (some pieces landed in drinks)!!   :clap:  It really was a fantastic dining experience!

hbelkins

Last time I was through Sikeston, I drove by Lambert's. It was not a time when I thought they'd be terribly busy. I'm wanting to say about 3 p.m. Yet the parking lot was full and there were several tour buses. Since I don't like crowds and don't like waiting in line, I scrapped any thoughts I had of stopping to eat.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

That's funny.  My ex-girlfriend's family was originally from Sikeston, and raved about Lambert's.  My wife is originally from Branson, so we drive by the Ozark location all the time.  Because of that, I just assumed the chain was much larger than just three restaurants.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

cjk374

I believe the original was in Sikeston, & the Lambert family had a vacation home in Gulf Shores/Orange Beach, AL.  I'm guessing that the Ozark location was just a shrewd business decision because of 2 tourist towns being close by.

Stephane Dumas

Sorry for dusting off this topic but I saw this article at http://www.dailyfinance.com/2013/12/18/why-burger-king-is-a-better-bet-than-mcdonalds-and/
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/12/18/why-burger-king-is-a-better-bet-than-mcdonalds-and.aspx

I wonder with Heinz no more linked to McDonald's and more tied to Burger King, which ketchup company will replace Heinz at McDo? 

hotdogPi

These may not exist near you, but I love Friendly's and Uno.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

corco

Hunts. The majority of McDonald's potatoes come from Lambweston, a ConAgra subsidiary. Hunts is also a ConAgra subsidiary.

formulanone

Portillo's hasn't disappointed me on my last few visits to Illinois.

I consider these categories for five types of chains:

1) Nationwide, even international
2) Regional (several states)
3) Statewide
4) Local (multiple counties, region of a state)
5) Spot (1, 2, 3 locations)

I guess you could create subcategories for how famous a "Spot" might be (nationally or just locally known).

hotdogPi

Quote from: formulanone on January 01, 2014, 06:09:24 PM
Portillo's hasn't disappointed me on my last few visits to Illinois.

I consider these categories for five types of chains:

1) Nationwide, even international
2) Regional (several states)
3) Statewide
4) Local (multiple counties, region of a state)
5) Spot (1, 2, 3 locations)

I guess you could create subcategories for how famous a "Spot" might be (nationally or just locally known).

What if there are about 20, but spread out over the whole United States?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

formulanone

Regionational would be the most cromulent answer. It won't cover everything...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.