News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Crazy things you've found in Google StreetView

Started by rickmastfan67, April 07, 2010, 03:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STLmapboy

Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CNGL-Leudimin

With Street View extending coverage through most of Austria, I went out on a hunt for a Fucking sign :sombrero:. Unfortunately Mr. Google hasn't visited the village yet.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

roadman65

Some areas of a camera are often blurred out.  I am not talking either about car tags or stuff the NSA or Homeland Security often have blurred.  Spots in photos hiding nothing, I am referring to are sometimes scene. 

Then there is that black screen with white bars that often comes up.  Example of that is the NYSTA Berkshire Thruway WB across the Hudson River for a while anyway.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

andrepoiy

MrManlet

CoreySamson

Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

webny99

Not exactly "crazy", but fun to watch this semi churn past the street view car on a narrow two-laner with no shoulder.
(Thanks kphoger for the find... found it thanks to this post.)

STLmapboy

Missouri>>>>>Illinois

STLmapboy

Missouri>>>>>Illinois

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

STLmapboy

Not super crazy, just disappointing; this infamous billboard near Harrison, Arkansas.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

planxtymcgillicuddy

Quote from: STLmapboy on July 02, 2020, 11:47:18 PM
Not super crazy, just disappointing; this infamous billboard near Harrison, Arkansas.

That and Vidor, Texas are still white supremacy hotspots.......though one could argue that title for the entire states of Texas and Arkansas......
It's easy to be easy when you're easy...

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?

STLmapboy

Quote from: planxtymcgillicuddy on July 03, 2020, 12:23:21 AM

That and Vidor, Texas are still white supremacy hotspots.......though one could argue that title for the entire states of Texas and Arkansas......

Nah, Texas is pretty damn nice (as is most of Arkansas). Hotspots are rapidly shrinking pockets of MS and AL.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

CoreySamson

Quote from: STLmapboy on July 03, 2020, 12:25:09 AM
Quote from: planxtymcgillicuddy on July 03, 2020, 12:23:21 AM

Nah, Texas is pretty damn nice (as is most of Arkansas). Hotspots are rapidly shrinking pockets of MS and AL.

Indeed. I'm not even sure if Vidor is much of a hotspot anymore; they had a well attended protest recently, and I'm not aware that anybody opposed it.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

dlsterner

The Parkersburg-Belpre bridge over the Ohio River between Ohio and West Virginia, carrying OH 32 and WV 618.  It is also a former routing of US 50.

The railing is lined with ... a series of bras.  To be fair, this was for an event to raise breast cancer awareness, so good for them!

Parkersburg-Belpre Bridge, lined with bras

I will note that the picture is the StreetView from September 2019, in case visitors in the future stumble across this post.

STLmapboy

Google takes a jaunt down an "authorized vehicles only" ramp near Cookeville, TN.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Brian556

dlsterner

Quote from: Brian556 on July 05, 2020, 11:54:40 PM
Building constructed under old gas station canopy. OLD US 45 near TN /MS state line
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.0001593,-88.5144517,3a,45.7y,51.48h,87.17t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sqfp_CPbkvrP0CLqTRL-5Dg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

In street-view, move a couple of notches to see the other side of the sign.  The place is called "I 45 Mini Mart" even though it is on an old alignment of US 45 which is paralleled by a limited access US 45.

STLmapboy

Flood off I-29 in ND, near the Canadian border. The bridge to the left is at risk of being flooded.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

ozarkman417

I would feel sorry for anyone who wanted to clinch MO 94 at this time..

STLmapboy

Quote from: ozarkman417 on July 14, 2020, 07:26:51 PM
I would feel sorry for anyone who wanted to clinch MO 94 at this time..

That's an extremely common occurrence on US 67 and all of 94 between there and 370 (basically the north St Charles County floodplain between the Missouri and Mississippi). I feel like it gets closed every 2 years or so. That said, virtually no suburb-dwellers in St Louis County go up there, unless to get to Alton.

Notice how they put another signal on the back of the wire, activated during two-lane traffic. The southbound carriageway's lower elevation means that flooding puts cars onto the NB carriageway during flooding.

Unrelated traffic oddity; immediately after beginning at US 67, 94 goes under this old one-lane bridge, followed by a tight 15 mph curve.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

kphoger

Does anyone know what's up with some road segments being labeled in another language?

For example, here's a state highway in Mexico that thinks it's in Ethiopia.

Male pronouns, please.

CNGL-Leudimin

I remember seeing both Russian (or another cyrillic script language) and Japanese while going around Spain. Example
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

MrManlet

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on July 16, 2020, 04:04:44 PM
I remember seeing both Russian (or another cyrillic script language) and Japanese while going around Spain. Example
Now its in Japanese!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.