News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Time zones

Started by Poiponen13, October 25, 2022, 02:57:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 01, 2022, 06:20:54 PM
Quote from: webny99 on November 01, 2022, 06:13:04 PM
The end of DST can't come soon enough, these past few mornings have been brutal.

This sure sounds like someone is trying to turn this into a DST thread.  :eyebrow:

Well, it kind of already was, just a slight variant!

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on November 01, 2022, 06:18:55 PM
The end of DST can't come soon enough, these past few mornings have been brutal.

Being dark before 5:00 next week will be even more brutal. 

The early sunsets are not nearly as brutal as the late sunrises IMO. The earlier sunrise means going from waking up in the dark to waking up while it's light. The earlier sunset means going from staying awake after it gets dark to... staying awake after it gets dark.

kphoger

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on November 01, 2022, 06:18:55 PM

Being dark before 5:00 next week will be even more brutal. 

When the weather is cold, I don't have much inclination to be out and about in the evening anyway, so it might as well be dark.  It's not like I'm about to go play Frisbee down at the park when it's 18°F and windy.  Getting up and going to work while it's still dark and at its coldest, on the other hand, is what I find the least pleasant about winter, the most depressing and difficult to bear–and DST just makes that happen for a lot longer than it otherwise would.  With a 6am wakeup time, I'd have to get up before dawn from October 4 through March 24 (172 days);  because of DST, however, that span is a full six weeks longer.

Quote from: webny99 on November 01, 2022, 06:32:21 PM
The earlier sunrise means going from waking up in the dark to waking up while it's light. The earlier sunset means going from staying awake after it gets dark to... staying awake after it gets dark.

Well put.

This sure sounds like someone is trying to turn this into a DST thread.  :eyebrow:

It's like trying to stop a train.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on November 01, 2022, 06:37:07 PM

It's like trying to stop a train.

I swear, I go to Nevada for one week...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 01, 2022, 06:39:28 PM
I swear, I go to Nevada for one week...

I swear!  We just can't have nice forum threads!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

get out your damn daubers I guess

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 01, 2022, 07:09:48 PM
get out your damn daubers I guess

Where's the square for "Ben Franklin"?
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

The graphic is great, but "dauber" alone made it totally worth it  :-D

kphoger

You also left out "color shaded maps".
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Quote from: webny99 on November 01, 2022, 07:38:21 PM
The graphic is great, but "dauber" alone made it totally worth it  :-D

Don't tell me you use a regular marker on your bingo paper like some sort of pleb.

Quote from: kphoger on November 01, 2022, 07:11:30 PM
Where's the square for "Ben Franklin"?

Quote from: kphoger on November 01, 2022, 07:43:35 PM
You also left out "color shaded maps".

This is my card, get your own :P

kkt

Quote from: JayhawkCO on November 01, 2022, 12:38:46 PM
Quote from: kphoger on November 01, 2022, 12:34:22 PM
Quote from: Poiponen13 on November 01, 2022, 12:22:12 PM

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 01, 2022, 12:01:01 PM
Yes, it's Australia. Not sure if this one is the same location, but I believe it is.

(edited to add this because I got interrupted:) The time zone is "unofficial" and is used for convenience because of the hour-and-a-half jump when you cross the state line between Western Australia and South Australia.

Then US should use interval half-hour time zones such as Central Eastern Time Zone.

Where in the US can you drive across a time zone line and have to change your clock more than one hour?

In theory, if it's frozen over, from Little Diomede Island to Big Diomede Island. :)

I am not sure the pack ice is ever solid enough to drive.  Sled, maybe.

hbelkins

Am I the only one here who doesn't have circadian rhythms? If I don't set an alarm, I won't get up in the mornings. Without an alarm, it's typical for me to sleep until 10 a.m. or later, and that's if I go to bed at 10 p.m.

My sleep patterns have been messed up since I was in college, and had to stay up pretty much all night once a week the spring semester of my sophomore year putting our college newspaper together.

That's been 40 years ago and I still haven't made up all the sleep I lost.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

I suspect that my natural circadian rhythm is somewhat longer than 24 hours. If I don't specifically force myself to wake up at the same time every day, I'll go to sleep/wake up later and later each day.

J N Winkler

Quote from: hbelkins on November 02, 2022, 12:33:18 PMAm I the only one here who doesn't have circadian rhythms?

Some people have long-lasting disturbance of their sleep patterns as a result of disease.  I have a friend who had meningitis at age four, and that was one of the consequences; another was profound hearing loss.

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 02, 2022, 12:41:41 PMI suspect that my natural circadian rhythm is somewhat longer than 24 hours. If I don't specifically force myself to wake up at the same time every day, I'll go to sleep/wake up later and later each day.

Most humans have a daily period of 25 hours, so retarding sleep/wake times one hour every day is what tends to happen in environments with absolutely no natural light.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

What did you just call Scott?
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Quote from: J N Winkler on November 02, 2022, 01:01:36 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on November 02, 2022, 12:41:41 PMI suspect that my natural circadian rhythm is somewhat longer than 24 hours. If I don't specifically force myself to wake up at the same time every day, I'll go to sleep/wake up later and later each day.

Most humans have a daily period of 25 hours, so retarding sleep/wake times one hour every day is what tends to happen in environments with absolutely no natural light.

This makes sense. Because of my long period of time working swing and graveyard shifts, my body appears to be trained to no longer use natural light as a cue to trigger sleep/wake cycles. (And because of the necessity of sleeping while the sun was out while on 2nd/3rd shift, all of the sleeping areas of our house have as little natural light as is practical, thanks to the use of heavy blackout curtains. So even if it weren't, there wouldn't be much natural light for it to go on anyway.)

Quote from: kphoger on November 02, 2022, 01:28:58 PM
What did you just call Scott?

It's J.N. Winkler, so I am sure it is accurate and well-researched. :D

J N Winkler

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 02, 2022, 03:03:49 PM
Quote from: kphoger on November 02, 2022, 01:28:58 PMWhat did you just call Scott?

It's J.N. Winkler, so I am sure it is accurate and well-researched. :D

Thanks for the kind words!  The bit about the 25-hour natural cycle is actually a staple of introductory psychology classes--I picked it up from a textbook I used to study for the AP Psychology exam.  It was found through experiments in which subjects were put in underground bunkers for several weeks and allowed to control their artificial lighting, though they were sheltered from natural light and timekeeping devices.  Wikipedia says more recent research, performed about 20 years ago with the aim of controlling for the phase-delaying effects of artificial light, has found a natural daily cycle closer to 24 hours (24.09 hours for women and 24.19 for men).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kkt

Yes, the natural cycle in the absence of natural light is longer than 24 hours.  But the natural cycle in most people resets with morning daylight, or an artificial substitute that's bright enough.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: hbelkins on November 02, 2022, 12:33:18 PM
Am I the only one here who doesn't have circadian rhythms? If I don't set an alarm, I won't get up in the mornings. Without an alarm, it's typical for me to sleep until 10 a.m. or later, and that's if I go to bed at 10 p.m.

My sleep patterns have been messed up since I was in college, and had to stay up pretty much all night once a week the spring semester of my sophomore year putting our college newspaper together.

That's been 40 years ago and I still haven't made up all the sleep I lost.

My wife is similar. If she doesn't set an alarm and a cat doesn't start licking her face, she'll sleep 10+ hours.

I can't sleep more than 8.5-9 hours unless I'm sick or have been really short on sleep the previous couple days. I wake up before my alarm goes off more days than not.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kphoger

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on November 02, 2022, 10:51:20 PM
My wife is similar. If she doesn't set an alarm and a cat doesn't start licking her face, she'll sleep 10+ hours.

And?!
Male pronouns, please.

hotdogPi

Quote from: kphoger on November 03, 2022, 09:51:56 AM

And?!

It's correct as is, due to both sides being negatives. If she sets an alarm, the first part won't be true, so it won't apply. If a cat starts licking her face, the second part won't be true, so it won't apply.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

webny99

I think I get what you're saying, but it still seems to me like the bolded "and" should be "or".

hotdogPi

Quote from: webny99 on November 03, 2022, 10:14:27 AM
I think I get what you're saying, but it still seems to me like the bolded "and" should be "or".

No, if it was or, it would be this:

My wife is similar. If she doesn't set an alarm or a cat doesn't start licking her face, she'll sleep 10+ hours.

With this modification, only (at least) one of the halves would need to be true for her to sleep 10+ hours. If she sets an alarm but a cat doesn't start licking her face, the conditional will be true, and she will sleep 10+ hours despite setting an alarm.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

kphoger

And that's exactly what I was surprised by.  I'm well aware of the difference between the words and and or.  It just surprised me that, if a cat started licking someone's face, she would continue sleeping until the alarm sounded.
Male pronouns, please.

NWI_Irish96

First of all, my wife would be horrified if I told her there's now a 7+ post strand about her sleep habits.

Secondly, "and" is appropriate because both conditions need to be met. She must not have an alarm set to sleep 10+ hours. A cat must not lick her face to sleep 10+ hours.

It would have been equally grammatically correct, but perhaps clearer, if I had said, "my wife can sleep 10+ hours unless she has an alarm set or a cat licks her face."
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kphoger

Wow, I haven't done logic like this in a while...

Let A = She had set an alarm.
Let B = A cat starts licking her face.
Let C = She sleeps ten hours or more.

(¬A & ¬B) ⊃ C
¬C
∴ _________ ?

Technically, he didn't say "if and only if", so it might be that his wife sleeps at least ten hours even if she sets an alarm and a cat starts licking her face.  Who knows?

:hmmm:
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.