News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

westerninterloper

Quote from: I-55 on January 16, 2021, 01:58:25 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on January 16, 2021, 01:49:42 PM
Quote from: I-55 on January 16, 2021, 01:46:23 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on January 16, 2021, 12:08:23 PM
Quote from: ibthebigd on January 16, 2021, 11:52:40 AM
How much work and ROW would be needed to get the I-67 designation from Westfield to I-465?

US 31 is already freeway from I-465 to just north of Westfield. That's not long enough to get an I-67 designation. It could qualify for an I-x65 designation, but I've not heard any suggesting that the state pursue that designation.

Not to mention that INDOT plans to make the corridor a freeway all the way to Kokomo for now. An interstate designation is probably still years away, but even a temporary 3di would be beneficial as it would allow the speed limit to go to 70 under Indiana law.

I don't think Indiana is going to apply for a 3di unless they are giving up on eventually making it I-67. I don't see them putting up one set of signs just to go back and re-sign everything again later.

You're right that INDOT likely wouldn't go for one, it was more of a wish on my part given the speed limit situation. Until I-69 is done there probably won't be a lot to hear about regarding more 31 upgrades.

Are the US 31 upgrades to interstate standards?
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

sprjus4

How much work and ROW would be needed to get the I-67 designation from Westfield to I-465?

US 31 is already freeway from I-465 to just north of Westfield. That's not long enough to get an I-67 designation. It could qualify for an I-x65 designation, but I've not heard any suggesting that the state pursue that designation.
The entire US-31 corridor between Indianapolis and South Bend could be designated as Future I-67, with the portion closer to I-465 that meets interstate standards actually receiving the I-67 designation.

2trailertrucker

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 17, 2021, 03:34:44 PM

The entire US-31 corridor between Indianapolis and South Bend could be designated as Future I-67, with the portion closer to I-465 that meets interstate standards actually receiving the I-67 designation.
Or in INDOT fashion, have I-67 in 3 segments:

I-465 to Westfield
Kokomo Bypass
Plymouth to South Bend.

sprjus4

^
Kokomo would not work because it does not attach to any other interstate highway.

Plymouth to South Bend technically does but the interchange with US-20 is substandard and the freeway near South Bend may need to be upgraded further to reach I-80 / I-90.

silverback1065

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 17, 2021, 08:03:09 PM
^
Kokomo would not work because it does not attach to any other interstate highway.

Plymouth to South Bend technically does but the interchange with US-20 is substandard and the freeway near South Bend may need to be upgraded further to reach I-80 / I-90.

and the approach to the us 20 interchange is substandard too.

abqtraveler

Quote from: silverback1065 on January 17, 2021, 09:23:46 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on January 17, 2021, 08:03:09 PM
^

and the approach to the us 20 interchange is substandard too.

The tight cloverleaf interchange between US-20 and US-31 would be difficult and costly to upgrade. They've allowed commercial development right up to the interchange ramps. There is also a large power substation adjacent to the southwest quadrant of the interchange that would have to be relocated before any upgrade of the interchange could take place, in addition to the condemnation/relocation of numerous residents and businesses.

The option I see that minimizes impacts to the surrounding homes and businesses would be to construct a flyover from US-31 NB to US-20 WB, and to straighten and add a second lane to the US-20 EB to US-31 SB ramp. There would still be some properties taken for the project, but far fewer than fully converting the interchange to something that would meet modern interstate standards.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

ITB

Drove up to Martinsville yesterday for another look-see. As it was MLK Day, a national holiday, I figured no work would be occurring. I was wrong. The area was buzzing with workers and machines. Apparently, not a day is to be wasted, even a national holiday.

Photos were taken Monday, January 18, 2021, unless otherwise identified.

Indiana I-69 Corridor Project; Section 6, Segment 1; Martinsville, Indiana

Northbound Interstate 69 traffic (left lanes) detoured onto Morton Ave./State Road 39 in Martinsville, Indiana; looking south. State Road 37, now sealed off, is located on the left. Currently, all traffic to and from I-69 south of Martinsville, utilizes the newly built mainline I-69 southbound bridge over Indian Creek (located in the deep background, but not visible). The bridge carries three lanes of traffic: two northbound, one southbound.

In the foreground, the traffic light in the foreground denotes the Morton Ave./Rogers Road intersection. The light is a temporary installation and will be removed when the new I-69/SR 39 interchange with roundabouts completes.

The razing and complete removal of the old State Road 37 mainline bridges at the SR 37/SR 39 interchange; looking south. The bridges were where the excavator is positioned. In the foreground is the old ramp from SR 37 southbound to SR 39.

Closer look of the traffic diverted onto Morton Ave./SR 39 just south of Martinsville proper. In the background just below the cell phone tower (expand the photo) is a crane positioned near Indian Creek. The northbound mainline bridge over the creek has now be demolished.

Broad perspective of the construction zone near what used to be the SR 37/SR 39 interchange; looking south. The rubble in the foreground was the SR 37 southbound ramp to SR 39.

Another view of the work underway to completely remove the mainline bridges at what was the SR 37/SR 39 interchange; looking south.

ITB

Another batch. Photos were taken Monday, January 18, 2021, unless otherwise noted.

Repositioning an asphalt milling machine near the Burton Lane/SR 37 crossing; looking east.

The milling machine, a Wirtgen W220i.

Large articulated dump trucks slowly back up toward the milling machine to receive additional material; looking east.

Grinding off a layer of asphalt; looking southwest. The road running across the frame is Burton Lane. In the background right, the slight elevation indicates the location of the SR 37/SR 39 interchange, now demolished.

Closer look of the milling operation.

Loaded up, with another truck moving into position. The milled material was being re-purposed as fill about a mile up the roadway just north of the Mahalasville Road/Ohio Street crossing.

edwaleni

I noticed in the earlier batch of photos that the Wirtgen scraper is brand new. Less than a year old. Probably purchased/leased for this I-69 contract.

abqtraveler

Quote from: ITB on January 19, 2021, 04:57:32 PM
Drove up to Martinsville yesterday for another look-see. As it was MLK Day, a national holiday, I figured no work would be occurring. I was wrong. The area was buzzing with workers and machines. Apparently, not a day is to be wasted, even a national holiday.

Photos were taken Monday, January 18, 2021, unless otherwise identified.

Northbound Interstate 69 traffic (left lanes) detoured onto Morton Ave./State Road 39 in Martinsville, Indiana; looking south. State Road 37, now sealed off, is located on the left. Currently, all traffic to and from I-69 south of Martinsville, utilizes the newly built mainline I-69 southbound bridge over Indian Creek (located in the deep background, but not visible). The bridge carries three lanes of traffic: two northbound, one southbound.

In the foreground, the traffic light in the foreground denotes the Morton Ave./Rogers Road intersection. The light is a temporary installation and will be removed when the new I-69/SR 39 interchange with roundabouts completes.

The razing and complete removal of the old State Road 37 mainline bridges at the SR 37/SR 39 interchange; looking south. The bridges were where the excavator is positioned. In the foreground is the old ramp from SR 37 southbound to SR 39.

Closer look of the traffic diverted onto Morton Ave./SR 39 just south of Martinsville proper. In the background just below the cell phone tower (expand the photo) is a crane positioned near Indian Creek. The northbound mainline bridge over the creek has now be demolished.

Broad perspective of the construction zone near what used to be the SR 37/SR 39 interchange; looking south. The rubble in the foreground was the SR 37 southbound ramp to SR 39.

Another view of the work underway to completely remove the mainline bridges at what was the SR 37/SR 39 interchange; looking south.

Git 'r done!

https://youtu.be/005uaVDyIk4
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

ITB

Before I post another set of photos, a comment about the recent weather here in south-central Indiana. It's been good, real good. Day and night temperatures have been about average, maybe even a tad above normal, with just a little snow. More significantly, however, there has yet to be an intense, bitter cold snap, with temps dropping in single digits or below. This has been a blessing for the contractors working on Section 6, as the ground has stayed generally unfrozen. To be sure, temps have been falling in the low 20s at night, but daytime warming is keeping the ground from becoming hard as a rock. In Bloomington, the high temp tomorrow, Thursday, January 21, 2020, is projected to be 48 degrees. That's well above average for this time of year. The 10 day forecast projects a continuation of seasonal temperatures, with little to no snow.

So, all in all, the weather has been cooperating big time, allowing the heavy construction in Martinsville and to the north to get off to a roaring start. Yes, it can suddenly change, but with the seasonal temps of January it bodes well that February will more of the same. Moreover, it's only 39 days till the warmer days of March.

To flashback on severe Indiana winter weather, seven years ago we had the Polar Vortex, which brought weeks of bitter cold to much of the country. And who can forget the infamous Blizzard of 1978, if you were around then. People had to be rescued by the National Guard from cars and trucks buried in snow drifts on interstates, and schools were closed for two full weeks. It was, to say the least, memorable. Here's a couple of videos:

Here's another batch of pictures. Photos were taken Monday, January 18, 2020, unless otherwise noted.

Looking south from the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass in Martinsville, Indiana, toward old State Road 37. Crews have removed the shoulders of the roadway and have milled off most of the asphalt overlay.

Closer perspective looking south from the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass. Excavation work is underway in preparation to construct new mainline bridges over a rerouted Sartor Ditch. This project is a priority because the small creek must be realigned before heavy construction can begin on the I-69/Mahalasville Road/Ohio Street interchange.

Different perspective of the work ongoing to reroute Sartor Ditch; looking slightly east. In the foreground where the dozer is located, fill material is being put down to form the base for the southbound exit ramp of the Mahalasville Road/Ohio Street interchange.

Another view. The pile driving rigging on the ground in the background (the yellow piece) indicates that pile driving or drilling will soon commence for the new bridges over rerouted Sartor Ditch.

Looking south toward the Mahalasville Road/Ohio Street crossing. Articulated dump trucks are hauling milled material from the Burton Lane vicinity (see pictures in previous post) to use as fill material. The tube culvert pictured is one of two carrying Sartor Ditch underneath State Road 37; the adjacent one is hidden by the brush.

edwaleni

Hopefully they will replace those tube culverts for Sartor Ditch, with large box culverts.

I have a feeling that once they finish I-69 northeast of town that waterflow down the ditch will actually increase.

But that is just my opinion.

ITB

Quote from: edwaleni on January 20, 2021, 10:23:16 PM
Hopefully they will replace those tube culverts for Sartor Ditch, with large box culverts.

I have a feeling that once they finish I-69 northeast of town that waterflow down the ditch will actually increase.

Initially, I, too, thought they'd replace the tube culverts with a large box culvert. But that will not be the case. Instead, mainline bridges with precast concrete beams will built over Sartor Ditch. The creek will be realigned to flow underneath I-69 a little further north than it presently does under State Road 37. That's what the construction pictured in the above photos depict. Excavation is now underway to form the new channel for the creek, with construction of the new mainline bridges to soon follow.

The drawings for the new bridges over Sartor Ditch can be found by searching the INDOT document page here. Enter Contract #33493 where indicated, then under Plan/Drawing Sets select and download the drawing set for FT Plans 1800360 for Contract Services, found on the second page of the available plan/drawing sets (the pages are indicated by numbers at the bottom of the list).

Edit: Please note that FT plan/drawing number 1800360 referenced above is not correct. The correct file name/number is: FT Plans 1800348 1800350 for Contract Services.

Here, again, is a picture which shows both the present and new channel of Sartor Ditch:

The present Sartor Ditch channel is on the left and is indicated by the twin tube culverts; the new channel is on the right; looking north.

Edit: Added note to correct the FT plan/drawing for the bridges over Sartor Ditch.

ITB

One last set. Photos were taken Monday, January 18, 2020, unless otherwise noted.

Looking north from the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass toward State Road 37 and the SR 252/Hospital Drive crossing. It had been dark and overcast, then suddenly the sun peeked out.

Closer look view just before the sun appeared; looking north.

Ah, the sun! Slightly closer perspective; looking north. It looks like a drainage culvert is being installed underneath the mainline roadways in the mid-background.

Another long range view. At the crest of the hill, the pile driving rigging has been shifted to east side of SR 37 for more pile driving for the I-69/SR 44 interchange.

This week, from the SR 37/Morgan Street crossing just north of Martinsville to the SR 37/SR 144 intersection in Johnson County, all State Road 37 traffic will be shifted to the northbound lanes of SR 37. Nearly 12 miles of concrete barrier wall will be placed to safely separate traffic from the construction work that will take place on the southbound lanes. This barrier work is ongoing now. Think about that for a second. Twelve miles ... of concrete Jersey barriers. Wow. Where might all those barriers be stored. And we're not looking at a few hundred, but several thousand. And the cost to transport and install! Undoubtedly, a very impressive figure.

Edit: Swapped out a photo for a better one.

zzcarp

What a project! Thanks for sharing all these photographs. It really shows the scope of the improvements, and I love seeing the temporary configurations used during construction.
So many miles and so many roads

edwaleni

Quote from: ITB on January 20, 2021, 11:14:51 PM
Quote from: edwaleni on January 20, 2021, 10:23:16 PM

Initially, I, too, thought they'd replace the tube culverts with a large box culvert. But that will not be the case. Instead, mainline bridges with precast concrete beams will built over Sartor Ditch. The creek will be realigned to flow underneath I-69 a little further north than it presently does under State Road 37. That's what the construction pictured in the above photos depict. Excavation is now underway to form the new channel for the creek, with construction of the new mainline bridges to soon follow.

The drawings for the new bridges over Sartor Ditch can be found by searching the INDOT document page here. Enter Contract #33493 where indicated, then under Plan/Drawing Sets select and download the drawing set for FT Plans 1800360 for Contract Services, found on the second page of the available plan/drawing sets (the pages are indicated by numbers at the bottom of the list).

Here, again, is a picture which shows both the present and new channel of Sartor Ditch:

The present Sartor Ditch channel is on the left and is indicated by the twin tube culverts; the new channel is on the right; looking north.

Thank you I will go back and look at those ground plans again.

SW Indiana

As always ITB, your photos are on point. Thanks for the photographic updates!

X99

Quote from: ITB on January 21, 2021, 12:20:07 AM
One last set. Photos were taken Monday, January 18, 2020, unless otherwise noted.

Looking north from the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass toward State Road 37 and the SR 252/Hospital Drive crossing. It had been dark and overcast, then suddenly the sun peeked out.

That demolished intersection right in the middle seems to be the former intersection for the Dodge dealership, which makes me wonder- where are they gonna put the new dealerships? They seem to have taken out at least two so far (Dodge and Ford) that were right up against 37, so they're gonna have to put new ones somewhere.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

ITB

^^^
There's a Ford dealership in Martinsville adjacent to State Road 37. Access is via Robert Curry Drive, which connects into Industrial Dr. and Commercial Blvd. Also, Flag Stone Dr. may have been extended to reach to the dealership.

Looking south from the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass. Photo was taken January 18, 2020.

Google maps has updated its satellite images for Martinsville and Morgan County. Although the images are from about a year ago, earth work is visible in the vicinity of the SR 37/Henderson Ford Road intersection, as well as other areas where new frontage roads were under construction.

tdindy88

While we're talking about Martinsville. I'd like to thank ITB for mentioning the contract number for the Martinsville section which allowed to research the signage plans for I-69. I know I mentioned it a year or so again but I thought I'd put up some of the images for the planned signage in Martinsville.

Starting off, there will be a special sign announcing the three exits for Martinsville, very similar to what previously existed along SR 37

Control cities are Indianapolis and Evansville and mileage signs mention them both north and south of Martinsville

Common for signage within Indiana cities the local street name is used with the state highway shield. This is curious since I had expected that the SR 252 exit would mention Morgantown and the SR 44 exit would sign Franklin. I'm not familiar with how well used the local street names are used in Martinsville, I had never heard of Reuben Drive until seeing this. SR 39 gets only Martinsville signed on its sign. Also there is no mention of SR 67 on the SR 39 sign as there is today.

Otherwise the signage planned for I-69 in Martinsville is pretty good and typical for Indiana. Now if only Sections 1-4 can get going with the mileage signs/northbound control city...cough...cough.

abqtraveler

Quote from: tdindy88 on January 23, 2021, 10:57:15 AM
While we're talking about Martinsville. I'd like to thank ITB for mentioning the contract number for the Martinsville section which allowed to research the signage plans for I-69. I know I mentioned it a year or so again but I thought I'd put up some of the images for the planned signage in Martinsville.

Starting off, there will be a special sign announcing the three exits for Martinsville, very similar to what previously existed along SR 37

Control cities are Indianapolis and Evansville and mileage signs mention them both north and south of Martinsville

Common for signage within Indiana cities the local street name is used with the state highway shield. This is curious since I had expected that the SR 252 exit would mention Morgantown and the SR 44 exit would sign Franklin. I'm not familiar with how well used the local street names are used in Martinsville, I had never heard of Reuben Drive until seeing this. SR 39 gets only Martinsville signed on its sign. Also there is no mention of SR 67 on the SR 39 sign as there is today.

Otherwise the signage planned for I-69 in Martinsville is pretty good and typical for Indiana. Now if only Sections 1-4 can get going with the mileage signs/northbound control city...cough...cough.

These sign drawings also seem to confirm that SR-37 will be de-signed along I-69 between Bloomington and Indianapolis once Section 6 to I-465 is completed.

Roadsguy

Quote from: abqtraveler on January 23, 2021, 02:45:39 PM
Quote from: tdindy88 on January 23, 2021, 10:57:15 AM

These sign drawings also seem to confirm that SR-37 will be de-signed along I-69 between Bloomington and Indianapolis once Section 6 to I-465 is completed.

This is true.

For those wanting to check out the rest of the plans, the five contract numbers are R-40848, R-33493, R-33541, R-41542, and R-41536. The fifth (Fairview Road to I-465) doesn't seem to have plans available, though, and seems to be a design-build contract, unlike the other four.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

CtrlAltDel

I'm having trouble visualizing the new route of the ditch. Is it going to be something like this?

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

ITB

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 24, 2021, 01:42:51 AM

I'm having trouble visualizing the new route of the ditch. Is it going to be something like this?

Pretty much so. Here's a map that depicts the course of rerouted Sartor Ditch:

I-69/Mahalasville Road/Ohio Street interchange; Martinsville, Indiana
[/url]

ITB

Very nice to see the signage that will going up in Martinsville. My thanks to tdindy88 for searching the documents and putting up the post.

So we have the following exits in Martinsville:

• Exit 137 — State Road 39
• Exit 138 — Ohio Street/Mahalasville Road
• Exit 139 — State Road 252/Hospital Dr.
• Exit 140 — State Road 44/Reuben Dr.

Although I'm not well versed in signage formalities, it seems the northbound I-69 signage for State Road 252/Hospital Dr. & SR 44/Reuben Dr. will be designated Exit 139, while, vice versa, the southbound signage will be Exit 140. Also, for northbound I-69, I'm wondering whether it would be prudent to mention Mooresville and Indianapolis International Airport on Exit 137 signage for State Road 39. Lots of traffic from south-central Indiana utilizes SR 39 and SR 67 to reach Mooreville and, further on, the airport. That's the routing the Bloomington airport shuttles have been following for many years. Of course, this may change will the completion of I-69 to I-465; then again it may not, as the SR 39/67 route will remain somewhat shorter in distance. And, count me, as well, as being surprised there is no mention of either Franklin or Morgantown on the signage.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.