News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Central Susquehanna Valley Road Meet April 2018

Started by jpi, December 18, 2017, 11:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have narrowed down to 2 Saturdays in April 2018, hopefully no snow this time unlike April 2016

Saturday April 21
8 (57.1%)
Saturday April 28
6 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: February 16, 2018, 11:21:56 PM

jpi

Hi everyone, just 2 more months to go, Pennlive.com posted a good article on the progress of the Susquehanna River Bridge along with some pics, the steel bridge beams are starting to get set on some of the piers, below is a link to the article and I will post it on the Facebook event page later this evening-

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2018/02/first_of_the_steel_girders_ere.html

There is a good access road from a nearby campground that will take us to where these pics were taken, I may use this area for a group photo too. Also I am going to start working on the itinerary soon, the rough draft of it is we depart Hoss's and park vehicles at Susquehanna Valley Mall, then travel some of the Selinsgrove by-pass then drive on to the stub end of the by-pass, from there use local surface roads that follow the southern end of the by-pass that is still in final stages of design and right of way acquisition, then head to the area where the bridge is being built then go to the top of the state park overlook where we will get a great view of the country side and some of the construction, then head across the river into Northumberland and go north on PA 147 and see the construction on this side of the river. Stay tuned for further updates  :nod:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Duke87

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

jpi

Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

jpi

Tennessee 2018 road maps are out, picked up over a dozen at a rest area on I-40 on my way to Memphis yesterday so they will be coming to the meet.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

74/171FAN

I doubt this will directly affect the meet, but I did find out that the Penn State Spring Game is on the same day the meet is scheduled.  It is definitely a good idea that we did not include any of the US 322 Potter Mills Gap construction as a part of this meet.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

hbelkins

I guess I need to start looking at lodging for this meet. My plans are to make my way to Hancock, Md., on Friday, then drive US 522 to US 22, which will give me a clinch of 522 in the Keystone State. From there, I'll probably have some time to kill, so I may backtrack west on US 322 and then east on I-80. Not sure where I will stay Friday night; I can stay anywhere within an hour or so of the meet site.

For Saturday night, probably the Harrisburg area, or maybe State College, depending on availability, price, and what route I take to leave the meet. I've already clinched both US 11 and US 15 in Pennsylvania, so that decision is still up in the air. I'm not sure if I will have to make it home on Sunday evening, or if I'll be able to take Monday off work and thus not be in too big of a rush. I'm also undecided on a route to Hancock. The logical route is I-79 to I-68, but I've driven that more than a few times. Corridor H to WV 259 to US 50 to pick up US 522 at Winchester might be an option. I know I'm not interested in driving WV 9 across the mountain from Paw Paw to Berkeley Springs.

This just in...

Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 04, 2018, 08:01:20 PM
I doubt this will directly affect the meet, but I did find out that the Penn State Spring Game is on the same day the meet is scheduled.  It is definitely a good idea that we did not include any of the US 322 Potter Mills Gap construction as a part of this meet.

So I guess I need to scratch State College off my list of Saturday night lodging options.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cl94

Huntingdon (along US 22) is about 1:45 from the meet. That has a few options. Altoona is another possibility. Roughly 2:15 from the meet via US 22. You could use those as a launching pad to pick up pieces of 22, 119, and/or 219.

Other than those, yeah, Harrisburg is your best option with the spring game. Lewistown and State College are expensive that weekend (unless you're willing to pay $110 for a Super 8, which I'm sure as heck not). A couple of us (myself included) are staying in Danville for cheap, but that's 20 minutes in the opposite direction from where you're headed.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jpi

Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 04, 2018, 08:01:20 PM
Thanks for the heads up on this, I have eliminated any possibility of heading over to Potters Mills based on my scouting trip back in September since there is not a whole lot of construction activity in that area and I am just focusing on the US 11/ 15 and PA 147 area and probably won't go much further north then Williamsport. I will be working on my itinerary soon but between toy shows, going to the Shreveport meet then heading to Dallas, TX for the mother of all diecast car conventions it will be a busy next 7 weeks leading up to this, also I have a rental mini van rented with stow and go seating so there will be plenty of room for car pooling
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

hbelkins

Quote from: cl94 on March 04, 2018, 08:24:32 PM
Huntingdon (along US 22) is about 1:45 from the meet. That has a few options. Altoona is another possibility. Roughly 2:15 from the meet via US 22. You could use those as a launching pad to pick up pieces of 22, 119, and/or 219.

Other than those, yeah, Harrisburg is your best option with the spring game. Lewistown and State College are expensive that weekend (unless you're willing to pay $110 for a Super 8, which I'm sure as heck not). A couple of us (myself included) are staying in Danville for cheap, but that's 20 minutes in the opposite direction from where you're headed.

Back several years ago, I drove US 22 from Ebensburg to Lewistown, then 522 on over to Selinsgrove. I don't care to do that again. That's why I was thinking I might do 322 west from Lewistown, so I can check out the corridor that got the ARC money instead of the I-99/US 220 segment south of Bedford. I have all of 119 and 219 clinched so no need to do those.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Couple of questions for Jason:
1) Are you actually planning on starting the tour at 11 AM? A noon, or even 1 PM, start would be helpful for my planning (FWIW)
2) Start and end points will be the same location?
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

jpi

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on March 06, 2018, 08:33:57 PM
Couple of questions for Jason:
1) Are you actually planning on starting the tour at 11 AM? A noon, or even 1 PM, start would be helpful for my planning (FWIW)
2) Start and end points will be the same location?

we will meet for lunch at Hoss's Steak and Seahouse, a regional PA chain located on US 11\ 15 in Shamokin Dam at 11:00am and proceed with the tour (should be leaving Hoss's around 12:30 to 1:00pm) We will head south to Susquehanna Valley Mall and park our vehicles, I am planning on renting a mini van to help with car pooling. From there we will go to the current stub end of the 11/15 Selinsgrove By-Pass at the US 522 exit near the mall then head north along the proposed alignment of the expressway which will run west of the current US 11/15 alignment.

From there we will see construction in full swing of the northern section of the project which includes a new bridge over the west branch of the Susquehanna River. From there we will check out Shikallemy State Park which offers a great view of Northumberland, Sunbury and the surrounding country side including views of the expressway construction. If time permits we will then head north along I-180 to Williamsport and check out some sites there, some where highlighted in Jeff Kitsko's meet 6 years ago.

This should wrap up by 6pm if anyone wants to do a post meet dinner there are many options in the area, I plan on getting a Facebook event posted this weekend and will have a full more detailed itinerary posted here in the coming weeks. 

So to answer your questions we will meet at 11am at Hoss's, have lunch then head out on the tour, the tour will end in Williamsport and from there either go our seperate ways or have dinner somewhere, that has been the trend with most road meets the last few years.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

hbelkins

From the state park, is the tour going up PA 147/I-180 to Williamsport, or will there be more stops? I've been to Williamsport a few times, so if there aren't going to be any more stops of interest in the general area of the state park, I would probably depart from there and head south. I'd like to make at least Carlisle before dark, if not farther south. I think I can work it to where I can clinch all of US 522 on this trip if I make it, but that would require getting to Winchester, Va., fairly early on Sunday morning.

Edited to add: I was going to see if there was some way I could work out an overnight stay at Breezewood, just to be rebellious, but don't think that's feasible.

jpi

Quote from: hbelkins on March 08, 2018, 11:55:17 AM
From the state park, is the tour going up PA 147/I-180 to Williamsport, or will there be more stops? I've been to Williamsport a few times, so if there aren't going to be any more stops of interest in the general area of the state park, I would probably depart from there and head south. I'd like to make at least Carlisle before dark, if not farther south. I think I can work it to where I can clinch all of US 522 on this trip if I make it, but that would require getting to Winchester, Va., fairly early on Sunday morning.

Edited to add: I was going to see if there was some way I could work out an overnight stay at Breezewood, just to be rebellious, but don't think that's feasible.
From the state park overlook we will go across the river on US 11 then head north on 147 where there is more construction then cross back over to Lewisburg where there is an old abandoned bridge where PA 45 crosses, from there we will head north on US 15 towards Williamsport, there is another scenic overlook that should get us nice views of the Williamsport area, then head into Williamsport proper and that should all wrap up by 6pm.

I do plan on starting some "virtual" scouting soon then get the itinerary together, also plan on calling the restaurant to give them a good idea of how many people are coming but I will need a firm head count by April 10, also keep in mind my other hobby is going to have me busy at the beginning of April but like the one 2 years ago will be putting my heart and soul into this and fingers crossed we don't get a surprise snow storm in the morning.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

vdeane

At least part of PA 147 is closed with a detour.  Looks like they're in Phase 4 right now, will be interesting to see if they move to a different phase by the time of the meet (honestly, Phase 5 would be most favorable to clinching this part of PA 147, since it has the shortest closure and it would likely be possible to see one end of the closure from the other; not sure if that will be possible with Phase 4).
http://www.penndot.gov/regionaloffices/district-3/constructionsprojectsandroadwork/pages/routes-147-and-11-reconstruction.aspx
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

briantroutman

The scenic overlook on US 15 approaching South Williamsport is perhaps worth a brief stop, but honestly, it's not that impressive anymore. When I was a child in the '90s, the overlook offered a commanding view, but since then, trees have grown taller to the point that the view below is mostly obscured.

Unfortunately, I missed Jeff Kitsko's Williamsport meet several years ago (missing a roadgeek meet in my hometown–inexcusable), so I don't know what was included, but as far as roadgeek attractions are concerned, I could mention a some items which may or may not be worth considering.

Near the US 15 overlook, the southern end of Old Montgomery Pike was barricaded off of US 15 as part of a construction project last year. This was the old alignment of the "west shore"  route when it was PA 404 and when US 15 followed the "east shore"  route over what later became PA 147. As far as I know, it's still possible to access the old route by car by driving further north and then doubling back. The section between its southern intersection with US 15 and Sylvan Dell Road had been posted one way northbound with Do Not Enter signs posted in the southbound direction. Now that the southern access point has been closed off (and no vehicles could be coming northbound from there), I wonder if the signs are still in place.

Also of mild interest are the traces left behind by the former paths of US 15 and 220 through the city (prior to construction of the Susquehanna Beltway). East Third Street seems to just "turn into"  Washington Boulevard west of Northway Road as it was the former through alignment of US 220. At Washington Boulevard's intersection with Market Street, Washington's dead end is posted "Stop - Except Right Turn"  because that right turn was the through movement for US 220. The imbalance of stop signs at the intersection of Market and Hepburn are also vestiges of US 220's path through the city. Likewise, a left lane on Market Street that simply disappears at Sixth Street and an "Opposing Traffic Does Not Stop" at Hepburn and High are left over from US 15's city route.

The western end of West Fourth Street and northern reaches of Lycoming Creek Road are the former routes of US 220 and 15, respectively, out of the city. That's not terribly interesting, but both have that overbuilt and underutilized feel that are characteristics of many bypassed routes. The fact that both are lined with dead or dying businesses amplifies that impression.

It's not as much of a roadgeek attraction per se, but PA 554 from South Williamsport to the ridgetop of Bald Eagle Mountain is a particularly fun twisty drive, and the road is generally empty.

One of the first Clearview signs installed in public (circa 1995) is on I-180 here. Notice that this prototype version is different from the final version–the ascender height is the same as the cap height–and the legend "NEXT RIGHT"  was later covered with the exit number. (I-180's exits were unnumbered in 1995.)

There's a desolate, disused stretch of US 220 here, but it's a considerable distance from Williamsport.

There's not a tremendous amount of interesting road-related stuff going on in Williamsport right now... a new airport terminal is being built, but that's not road-related. On the other hand, if there's interest in a post-meet dinner, Williamsport has a respectable downtown restaurant scene for a city of its small size.

vdeane

On the other hand, having the post-meet dinner in Williamsport entails a bit of a drive back for people staying overnight in Selinsgrove (I usually stay in the same locale as the meet since it's convenient in the event of a post-meet dinner).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

Quote from: vdeane on March 08, 2018, 08:23:48 PM
On the other hand, having the post-meet dinner in Williamsport entails a bit of a drive back for people staying overnight in Selinsgrove (I usually stay in the same locale as the meet since it's convenient in the event of a post-meet dinner).

Jason will be coming back to Selinsgrove anyway, since the cars are going to be parked at the mall there and he's going to have a van for the additional seating. As for me, it's doubtful that I will get north of I-80, since I have both US 15 and I-180 clinched, and will want to get as far south as I can during daylight hours to set myself up for my drive on Sunday. So the post-meet dinner is out as far as I'm concerned.

I guess I will have to try Rutter's on the trip, if I come, since Cullen is so gung-ho about it being better than Sheetz. Hopefully there will be one along my route, or near my Friday and Saturday night stays (still undecided.)

vdeane

Since people don't generally carpool to post-meet dinners, I'd assume that we'd return to the mall, then those of us going to dinner would individually drive over to wherever it is.

jpi

Somewhere on one of these threads ALPs suggested a restaurant for a post meet dinner but I can't seem to find it, I think it was in the Selinsgrove area which yes we would be heading back to when we wrap up, unlike my last central PA meet this one will be more focused on a closer area (around 20 miles in length) as oppose to 100 miles round trip.  :nod:

Also it sounds like most of you all will be staying in Selinsgrove to Danville which is 15 miles to the east. For those who have not found lodging yet I would definetly look towards Danville, Bloomsburg, Williamsport and even as far away as Harrisburg where Steph and I are staying but with relatives. State Collage may be out do to a very early pre season football game. H.B. as for Rutters, there is one in Port Royal off US 22/322 and PA 75, there is a couple scattered around Harrisburg but a BOAT load of them in my native York County where they got there start and yes Rutters is good and gas reaonsable.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

noelbotevera

Since I don't live too far (only two hours away), I won't be lodging. I'm still planning to attend the meet.

For those who like scenery: I highly recommend US 22/322 between Harrisburg and State College. It is an amazing drive.

Can't really say much about the area - I don't go north of Harrisburg up US 11/15 that often.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

vdeane

Quote from: jpi on March 08, 2018, 09:59:40 PM
Somewhere on one of these threads ALPs suggested a restaurant for a post meet dinner but I can't seem to find it, I think it was in the Selinsgrove area which yes we would be heading back to when we wrap up, unlike my last central PA meet this one will be more focused on a closer area (around 20 miles in length) as oppose to 100 miles round trip.  :nod:
It was posted on the Facebook event - McGuigan's Public House in Sunbury, I believe.

jpi

Quote from: vdeane on March 09, 2018, 12:39:55 PM
Quote from: jpi on March 08, 2018, 09:59:40 PM
It was posted on the Facebook event - McGuigan's Public House in Sunbury, I believe.
That's right, thanks Val!
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

jpi

Now that the Shreveport road meet is behind it is all about this meet! We are 30 days out, central PA got hit with over a foot of snow the last 2 days so hopefully this will be it and we will not see snow the day of the meet unlike 2 years ago. I will need a final head count by April 15 so I can give Hoss's an accurate head count. More updates coming soon!
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

cl94

I'm definitely in, even if I end up doing less county clinching beforehand. Live too close to miss this one.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Brandon

I'll be there.  Stay the night in Altoona then Williamsport, and pick up some Ohio, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and New York counties along the way.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.