News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Favorite Closed Stores/Restaurants (AKA Flying Chicken fan thread)

Started by cl94, May 08, 2018, 08:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jardine

Rothman

Quote from: Takumi on May 09, 2018, 05:40:49 PM
Quote from: 1 on May 09, 2018, 05:30:35 PM
Quote from: Rothman on May 09, 2018, 05:29:16 PM
Quote from: Takumi on May 09, 2018, 02:06:21 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on May 09, 2018, 12:06:34 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on May 09, 2018, 12:03:02 PM
The only place I buy music nowadays is from iTunes, and Apple has announced they're going to stop selling music in the next year or two (after that you'll have to use iTunes Radio or another streaming service such as Pandora or Spotify).

That will have the unintended consequence of pushing people back to buying physical copies of music. I'm not going to pay for it unless I own the media and can play it when and where I want to.
I still buy physical copies whenever possible, but yeah, I'll just go to other stores to buy digital-only copies. I refuse to stream other than looking an artist up on YouTube from time to time.
Why?

With a CD, you actually own the music. This isn't the case with digital copies.
Pretty much this.
Why the need to own it?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on May 09, 2018, 05:59:47 PM
The only place I buy music nowadays is from iTunes, and Apple has announced they're going to stop selling music in the next year or two (after that you'll have to use iTunes Radio or another streaming service such as Pandora or Spotify).

That will have the unintended consequence of pushing people back to buying physical copies of music. I'm not going to pay for it unless I own the media and can play it when and where I want to.
I still buy physical copies whenever possible, but yeah, I'll just go to other stores to buy digital-only copies. I refuse to stream other than looking an artist up on YouTube from time to time.
Why?

Pretty much this.
Why the need to own it?
Why do I need a reason?
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Dougtone

Quote from: Takumi on May 08, 2018, 10:12:25 PM
The Halligan Bar & Grill in Short Pump, VA (where the last Richmond road meet was held). All three locations closed within the last year. Shame.

Halligan had a nice little theme to it, with the fire trucks.

hbelkins

Why do you need to own it?

Flexibility and backups.

Typically, my routine when buying a CD is to burn a copy of it and play the copy, and keep the original somewhere safe.* Then I will rip it in iTunes and copy to my iPod. And if I want to burn a copy to give to my brother, or upload the MP3s to a Usenet binaries group (not that I would ever do one of those things, wink wink) I can.

As I've said before, I don't listen to music on my phone (primarily because I have an iPhone and it's not expandable beyond the factory memory; by contrast, I have an old work Android phone that's mine to do with as I wish after I was switched to an iPhone with another carrier, so I bought a 256 GB card for it and plan to use it for my music player once I can get all the songs copied over to the card.) And with data limits and spotty cell service, streaming isn't ideal for me anyway. Plus, not every artist is available on every streaming service. Can you get Metallica on Spotify, for example? Once upon a time, you couldn't.

*"Somewhere safe" for me is an oxymoron. I tend to misplace things.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Quote from: Takumi on May 09, 2018, 06:07:44 PM
Quote from: Rothman on May 09, 2018, 05:59:47 PM

Why?

Pretty much this.
Why the need to own it?
Why do I need a reason?

Because without one, it is lunacy.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Here's another good reason why you might prefer to actually own a physical copy of your music instead of depending on someone to deliver it to you. If the music offends some provider's sensibilities, they might remove it from their service.

http://thehill.com/policy/technology/387077-spotify-removes-r-kelly-from-playlists-due-to-hateful-conduct-policy

abefroman329

Quote from: hbelkins on May 10, 2018, 12:43:45 PM
Here's another good reason why you might prefer to actually own a physical copy of your music instead of depending on someone to deliver it to you. If the music offends some provider's sensibilities, they might remove it from their service.

http://thehill.com/policy/technology/387077-spotify-removes-r-kelly-from-playlists-due-to-hateful-conduct-policy

Spotify is a streaming service.  Users do not purchase songs for download.  Content disappears and reappears from streaming services all the time, for reasons too numerous to mention.  This is not analogous to purchasing songs for download from iTunes or Amazon, or another, similar service.

1995hoo

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 10, 2018, 01:39:37 PM

Spotify is a streaming service.  Users do not purchase songs for download.  Content disappears and reappears from streaming services all the time, for reasons too numerous to mention.  This is not analogous to purchasing songs for download from iTunes or Amazon, or another, similar service.

If you look back at the thread, you'll see that what you're saying is exactly why there's some disagreement. Rothman apparently believes, or is arguing just for the sake of it, that there's no need to purchase music because you can stream it. Your comment underscores exactly why several of us have said we prefer to own our music and do not view streaming as a primary option, although as I noted streaming can potentially serve a purpose similar to what radio used to do (before all the stations standardized their playlists on the same few songs) in terms of discovering new music you can then go buy.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

abefroman329

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 10, 2018, 03:53:38 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on May 10, 2018, 01:39:37 PM

If you look back at the thread, you'll see that what you're saying is exactly why there's some disagreement. Rothman apparently believes, or is arguing just for the sake of it, that there's no need to purchase music because you can stream it. Your comment underscores exactly why several of us have said we prefer to own our music and do not view streaming as a primary option, although as I noted streaming can potentially serve a purpose similar to what radio used to do (before all the stations standardized their playlists on the same few songs) in terms of discovering new music you can then go buy.

I agree 100% that streaming is not a replacement to purchasing music, and I am disappointed that Apple has chosen to cease selling music in the near future (though I'm sure there was a business case for doing so).  I do not feel it's necessary to own a copy of this music stored to physical media, as I would think I would be owed compensation if I purchased a license to download that music for perpetuity from Apple, and they suddenly decided I could no longer do so.

renegade

Why own it?

Because digital copies of music can be removed from your music collection without notice to you by the artist or anyone else for any reason.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

hbelkins

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 10, 2018, 04:04:53 PM
I agree 100% that streaming is not a replacement to purchasing music, and I am disappointed that Apple has chosen to cease selling music in the near future (though I'm sure there was a business case for doing so).  I do not feel it's necessary to own a copy of this music stored to physical media, as I would think I would be owed compensation if I purchased a license to download that music for perpetuity from Apple, and they suddenly decided I could no longer do so.

I've bought a handful of albums from iTunes. On every device I have, I'm given the option to re-download the songs. I bought the songs/albums on my personal MacBook, but I use my own Apple ID on my work-issued iPhone and iPad. Therefore, I have the Windows version of iTunes installed on my work desktop computer so I can back up my devices. If I go to the "Music" area on my work PC, I am allowed to download those songs.

Quote from: renegade on May 10, 2018, 06:02:58 PM
Why own it?

Because digital copies of music can be removed from your music collection without notice to you by the artist or anyone else for any reason.

Seriously? They can reach in to your device or computer and delete files that you paid for?

vdeane

Well, if the files are copy-protected, they can certainly make it so that the files can't be played anymore, though I'm not sure if anyone still sells copy-protected music these days.  Amazon certainly doesn't.

Such can also happen if you lose the software enabling the DRMed files to be played, such as by switching to a different operating system or the software no longer working.  The former happened to me regarding some files ripped with Windows Media Player when I switched to Linux and the latter happened to everyone who played video games protected with SafeDisk or SecuROM when Windows stopped supporting the drivers these programs need to run.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

signalman

Quote from: hbelkins on May 10, 2018, 06:38:06 PM
Why own it?

Seriously? They can reach in to your device or computer and delete files that you paid for?
I think he was merely repeating the question that was asked, then answering it. That's how I interpreted it, at least.

renegade

I've bought a handful of albums from iTunes. On every device I have, I'm given the option to re-download the songs. I bought the songs/albums on my personal MacBook, but I use my own Apple ID on my work-issued iPhone and iPad. Therefore, I have the Windows version of iTunes installed on my work desktop computer so I can back up my devices. If I go to the "Music" area on my work PC, I am allowed to download those songs.

Why own it?

Yes.  They can, and they do.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

hbelkins

Quote from: renegade on May 12, 2018, 11:16:42 PM

Why own it?

I remain skeptical. I'd love to hear some real-life experiences of this happening.

txstateends

The topic?  The Topic?
Oh yes, the topic.....

Stores:
* Tower Records (amazing store, didn't have a local location until their last years.... they should definitely still be around)
* Sanger Harris (regional dept. store chain merged out of existence in the late 1980s, great sales, still missed)
* Marshall Field's (a midwest dept. store that was also in TX in the 1980s-1990s, was Macyed with little regard for history or shopper loyalty, mmmm... Frango chocolates!)

Restaurants:
* Bennigan's (weird situation--original parent co. folded, somehow the franchisees were able to bring it back but there aren't nearly the amount of locations as before, hate the new logo, miss having the old ones around here, mmmmm.... monte cristo sandwiches!)
* Tinsley's Chicken (regional TX chain bought out by Church's in the late 1980s, rolls were almost better than the chicken!)
* Del Taco (yes, they're still a chain elsewhere, but twice they briefly entered the TX market--1980s and 2010s, and within 2 years both times they bailed, >aargh!!<; why bother trying to enter a new market, get me and others interested and hungry, then pull the plug?? Stupid!!)

Crap, now I'm hungry.....   :love: :love: :banghead: :banghead:
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

TheHighwayMan3561

China Jade, St. Louis Park, MN. Became a different Chinese place briefly when Jade's owner retired, now I believe a Subway occupies the space it was in. Since they shuttered I've still never found a Chinese place half as good as Jade was.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

freebrickproductions

Quote from: txstateends on May 13, 2018, 05:15:17 PM
* Tower Records (amazing store, didn't have a local location until their last years.... they should definitely still be around)
Even if they didn't die off, they'd probably still be at least somewhat struggling these days, due to the popularity of digital streaming services.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

cjk374

St. Louis Bread Company: regional eatery in Missouri who was bought out by Panera. They were similar to Panera, but so much better!
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Brandon

Quote from: cjk374 on May 14, 2018, 06:49:10 AM
St. Louis Bread Company: regional eatery in Missouri who was bought out by Panera. They were similar to Panera, but so much better!

St. Louis Bread Company is Panera.  They were not bought out by them.  They merely changed their name in most of the country except the St. Louis area.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

catch22

Quote from: hbelkins on May 13, 2018, 03:40:24 PM

Why own it?

I remain skeptical. I'd love to hear some real-life experiences of this happening.

Amazon has pulled books down before.  In the cases referenced in this article it may have been warranted, but it does show the methodology exists.

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2009/07/why_2024_will_be_like_nineteen_eightyfour.html

formulanone

Why own it?

Worse yet, they can add a modern U2 album to your collection without notice.

Jim

I'm just disappointed that I never knew about the Flying Chicken...  And me going to Popeye's when I wanted fried chicken in Troy...
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

abefroman329

Quote from: catch22 on May 14, 2018, 07:31:09 AM

Why own it?

Amazon has pulled books down before.  In the cases referenced in this article it may have been warranted, but it does show the methodology exists.

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2009/07/why_2024_will_be_like_nineteen_eightyfour.html

The article states "Amazon explained that the books had been mistakenly published, and it gave customers a full refund."  As long as they did that, I don't really see the issue.  Nor do I see an issue if Apple one day decides I can no longer download my purchased copy of Dark Side Of The Moon, provided I'm compensated for it somehow.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.