News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Nevada

Started by gonealookin, November 27, 2018, 11:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plutonic Panda

NDOT will be upgrading 32 of US-95 in NYE county to the tune of 17 million. Pavement replacement, passing lanes, shoulder improvements, and fiber optic cables are part of of the project.

More info here:

https://www.nevadadot.com/Home/Components/News/News/6330/395?fsiteid=1

rte66man

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on August 11, 2020, 10:15:32 PM
NDOT will be upgrading 32 of US-95 in NYE county to the tune of 17 million. Pavement replacement, passing lanes, shoulder improvements, and fiber optic cables are part of of the project.

More info here:

32 inches? 32 yards?
<ducks and runs>
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Sub-Urbanite

More info here:

See, I don't get this. Why spend $17 million on this project to essentially rebuild the 2 lane roadway when NDOT knows that it'll be twinning this at some point? Make the extra investment and take it to 4. I'm not saying to give it the full freeway treatment, but this is one stretch where a new alignment is highly unlikely (and would render this investment obsolete anyway).

skluth

Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on August 21, 2020, 12:45:26 PM

More info here:

See, I don't get this. Why spend $17 million on this project to essentially rebuild the 2 lane roadway when NDOT knows that it'll be twinning this at some point? Make the extra investment and take it to 4. I'm not saying to give it the full freeway treatment, but this is one stretch where a new alignment is highly unlikely (and would render this investment obsolete anyway).

This project will be done by next spring. Unless the four-laning is done within the next ten years, this is probably the only improvement on this stretch for the near future. It's not like US 95 is already four lanes to Beatty. Nevada isn't showing much urgency in their desire to complete I-11 given the Alternatives Analysis from a couple years ago states, "Construction of the roughly 450-mile long future I-11 could be phased over future decades as environmental impact reviews are completed and funding is prioritized." (Emphasized text mine) This project could easily be twenty years in the past by the time NDOT gets around to making this stretch four lanes, and probably to full freeway at that time. A parallel road bed for 32 miles is considerably more expensive than $17M and might face considerably more environmental opposition (a new freeway anywhere grabs considerably more attention than a simple highway improvement).

Sub-Urbanite

Quote from: skluth on August 21, 2020, 02:49:28 PM

More info here:

This project will be done by next spring. Unless the four-laning is done within the next ten years, this is probably the only improvement on this stretch for the near future. It's not like US 95 is already four lanes to Beatty. Nevada isn't showing much urgency in their desire to complete I-11 given the Alternatives Analysis from a couple years ago states, "Construction of the roughly 450-mile long future I-11 could be phased over future decades as environmental impact reviews are completed and funding is prioritized." (Emphasized text mine) This project could easily be twenty years in the past by the time NDOT gets around to making this stretch four lanes, and probably to full freeway at that time. A parallel road bed for 32 miles is considerably more expensive than $17M and might face considerably more environmental opposition (a new freeway anywhere grabs considerably more attention than a simple highway improvement).

True, but if they're following the ADOT approach, then piecemeal twinning is the path to victory. Remember, the first segment of the US 93 twinning between I-40 and US 60 — which at times was called wasteful — started around 25 years ago.

roadfro

Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on August 21, 2020, 06:00:42 PM
Quote from: skluth on August 21, 2020, 02:49:28 PM

More info here:

True, but if they're following the ADOT approach, then piecemeal twinning is the path to victory. Remember, the first segment of the US 93 twinning between I-40 and US 60 — which at times was called wasteful — started around 25 years ago.
I concur that it wouldn't make sense to start doing expressway-style upgrades instead of a project like this. $17m for what is amounting to safety improvements and minor resurfacing of 32 miles of existing two-lane highway seems like a reasonable investment at this time. It'll probably be a lengthy amount of time (measured in decades) before this stretch sees significant upgrades.

If they were going to twin a rural stretch of US 95, this would not be the stretch to do it. Based on my observations over time, Beatty to Tonopah segment this project lies in tends to have the least traffic over the four major segments of the entire Vegas-to-Reno drive. If anything, four-laning from Mercury to Beatty would be the first step and a reasonable segment of independent utility.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Kniwt

The Reno Gazette-Journal reports that a production-car speed record has been set on NV 160 near Pahrump: 331mph.
https://www.rgj.com/story/sports/2020/10/20/production-car-sets-world-speed-record-road-near-las-vegas/5998947002/

QuoteA car built in Washington, that took 10 years to design, engineer and build, set a speed record on highway 160 in Southern Nevada between Las Vegas and Pahrump on Oct. 10. The car, built by SSC North America and called a 'Tuatara' averaged 316 mph on its two runs that day.

The car driven by Oliver Webb, 29, hit 301 mph on its first run, then, an hour later, hit 331 mph, for a 316 average.

Two runs completed within an hour, in opposite directions, are required to establish a record and the average is used.

The seven-mile stretch of highway was shut down for the attempt.

nexus73

Quote from: Kniwt on October 21, 2020, 02:49:52 PM
The Reno Gazette-Journal reports that a production-car speed record has been set on NV 160 near Pahrump: 331mph.
https://www.rgj.com/story/sports/2020/10/20/production-car-sets-world-speed-record-road-near-las-vegas/5998947002/

QuoteA car built in Washington, that took 10 years to design, engineer and build, set a speed record on highway 160 in Southern Nevada between Las Vegas and Pahrump on Oct. 10. The car, built by SSC North America and called a 'Tuatara' averaged 316 mph on its two runs that day.

The car driven by Oliver Webb, 29, hit 301 mph on its first run, then, an hour later, hit 331 mph, for a 316 average.

Two runs completed within an hour, in opposite directions, are required to establish a record and the average is used.

The seven-mile stretch of highway was shut down for the attempt.

That is what one could call rapid transit!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

TheGrassGuy

Is NV-781 signed? I'm making a list of shortest state routes in each state, and was kind of surprised to learn that NV-822 was indeed signed.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

gonealookin

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on October 23, 2020, 05:50:28 PM
Is NV-781 signed? I'm making a list of shortest state routes in each state, and was kind of surprised to learn that NV-822 was indeed signed.

Wow, that's digging deep to find NV 781.  I'm pretty sure I'll never drive that one.

If I had to guess I'd say it might be marked with California-style white paddles.  That's the case in my area with NV 705 (a former alignment of US 50 that dips into Douglas County but only serves properties in Carson City, so Douglas County didn't want it).  Also, westbound NV 760 is marked with a shield as it leaves US 50, but the only marking eastbound is a white paddle at its west end.

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: gonealookin on October 23, 2020, 06:53:06 PM
Quote from: TheGrassGuy on October 23, 2020, 05:50:28 PM

Wow, that's digging deep to find NV 781.  I'm pretty sure I'll never drive that one.

If I had to guess I'd say it might be marked with California-style white paddles.  That's the case in my area with NV 705 (a former alignment of US 50 that dips into Douglas County but only serves properties in Carson City, so Douglas County didn't want it).  Also, westbound NV 760 is marked with a shield as it leaves US 50, but the only marking eastbound is a white paddle at its west end.

You mean these things? Those don't really count. NV-822 is signed the real way.

There's a reason why NY reference routes are considered "unsigned", even though they have similar markings that are greener and smaller.

US 89

Corco's website shows there is at least one postmile:

http://corcohighways.org/?p=9921933

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: US 89 on October 24, 2020, 01:22:46 AM
Corco's website shows there is at least one postmile:

http://corcohighways.org/?p=9921933

By "signed", I mean an actual shield, not just a postmile or whatever.

In NJ, they've started adding postmiles everywhere obsessively around 2017 or so. Even on hitherto unsigned routes, such as NJ-13 (a bridge) and NJ-167 (a former alignment of US-9 with a gap due to a long-demolished bridge that's now hardly anything but a dirt road).

If a route is only marked on postmiles or other similar markers (such as NV-705, the NY reference roads, or the two in NJ I just mentioned), I don't consider them to be "signed".

roadfro

It's highly doubtful that SR 781 is signed, given that the route solely consists of an NDOT-maintained bridge along a dirt road in the middle of nowhere.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Kniwt

The Elko Daily Free Press reports that US 93 north of Wells will get some upgrades, but not (yet?) the full four-laning that many want.
https://elkodaily.com/news/local/u-s-93-getting-more-passing-lanes-this-year/article_86fb62e1-5cd9-5bc1-93f2-bacd91d8608a.html

QuoteNevada Department of Transportation has awarded an $8.8 million contract for the construction of roughly six miles of passing lanes north of Wells on U.S. 93, and Elko County Commissioners have asked NDOT to keep them on as a top priority for the future.

... The north and south passing lanes will be between mileposts 101 and 107 just north of the HD Summit and just north of the turnoff to the Winecup Gamble Ranch, which is in an area where NDOT already has the right of way, he said.

Commissioner Cliff Eklund said the passing lanes planned are needed because "there has been a dramatic increase in traffic"  on U.S. 93, with truckers coming from Las Vegas and headed to Idaho. He said there is a need for a larger project.

"I think eastern Elko County feels U.S. 93 is very important, and I suppose you understand it,"  Commissioner Wilde Brough told Mortensen. Brough said by phone earlier this week that US. 93 is crucial to economic development in eastern Elko County and "it's crucial to all of the eastern side of Nevada."

... Mortensen said NDOT staff also is evaluating U.S. 93 south of Wells and all the way to Las Vegas.

Sub-Urbanite

The last time I drove 93 north of Wells I was surprised by the traffic. Not sure it should be at the top of NDOT's 4-laning priority list but it at least should be on the list.

roadfro

Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on January 25, 2021, 11:55:45 AM
The last time I drove 93 north of Wells I was surprised by the traffic. Not sure it should be at the top of NDOT's 4-laning priority list but it at least should be on the list.

I recall during the I-11 corridor study that while the US 95 to northwestern Nevada corridor won out over US 93 and eastern Nevada, it was acknowledged that the US 93 corridor will likely need some attention in long-range planning.

bing101

https://mynews4.com/news/local/spaghetti-bowl-closures-beginning-january-31

The Nevada DOT is closing the Spaghetti Bowl in the Reno area. That's right Reno also has a Spaghetti Bowl interchange. I remember in the past whenever we talked about the Spaghetti Bowl interchange it was in the Las Vegas area.

roadfro

Quote from: bing101 on January 31, 2021, 07:53:55 PM
https://mynews4.com/news/local/spaghetti-bowl-closures-beginning-january-31

The Nevada DOT is closing the Spaghetti Bowl in the Reno area. That's right Reno also has a Spaghetti Bowl interchange. I remember in the past whenever we talked about the Spaghetti Bowl interchange it was in the Las Vegas area.

They are closing certain ramps/interchanges overnight and/or weekends to accommodate construction activity.

We've discussed Reno's Spaghetti Bowl in a dedicated thread on this board, so let's keep discussion there. (Bing101, you've actually posted a link to a video in that thread previously...)

But an interesting tidbit: The linked article uses a picture of the Spaghetti Bowl in Las Vegas–specifically it's a rendering of the new HOV flyover from Project Neon construction.

EDIT: Fixed link tag

US 89

Quote from: bing101 on January 31, 2021, 07:53:55 PM
That's right Reno also has a Spaghetti Bowl interchange. I remember in the past whenever we talked about the Spaghetti Bowl interchange it was in the Las Vegas area.

Yep, there are quite a few Spaghetti Bowl interchanges in the US and elsewhere around the world. The one I'm most familiar with is in Salt Lake City where I-15, I-80, and SR 201 all meet up, which is why it always throws me off for a second whenever someone mentions either of the ones in Nevada.

1995hoo

Interesting tweet thread here regarding federal requirements as they apply to EV charging stations in Nevada and the possible jeopardizing of federal highway funds. (Disclaimer: The state official who tweeted this is a childhood friend of mine and we still exchange messages occasionally. I bought my first car from his father, who worked with my dad, when I was 16 years old.) What I found myself wondering, and what I might ask him, is why the charging station at Valmy can't be installed at the rest area Google Maps shows on the other side of I-80.

https://twitter.com/davidbobzien/status/1357383931713101825

https://twitter.com/davidbobzien/status/1357384856359981056

https://twitter.com/davidbobzien/status/1357386753460428802

https://twitter.com/davidbobzien/status/1357396587832479744
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

AlexandriaVA

I can't begin to understand the logic of the gas station owner/operator who doesn't want to be in the EV business because it allegedly cuts into his gasoline sales.

It's not as if the EV will have a dual mode engine that can switch to gasoline when they roll up to his filling station.

jdbx

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on February 04, 2021, 02:14:58 PM
I can't begin to understand the logic of the gas station owner/operator who doesn't want to be in the EV business because it allegedly cuts into his gasoline sales.

It's not as if the EV will have a dual mode engine that can switch to gasoline when they roll up to his filling station.

The logic is particularly absurd, since most gas station profits are earned in the convenience store, NOT at the pump.  EV's take at least 30 minutes to charge, even on the fastest superchargers.  I know this because I drive one myself.  I don't like sitting in my car while it charges, so I usually take advantage of the time to buy a cold drink, something to eat, restroom, etc from the adjacent businesses.

1995hoo

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 04, 2021, 01:57:50 PM
.... What I found myself wondering, and what I might ask him, is why the charging station at Valmy can't be installed at the rest area Google Maps shows on the other side of I-80.

https://twitter.com/davidbobzien/status/1357439998191042560
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadfro

Nevada DOT & Southern Nevada RTC were recently awarded a grant to expand use of emerging transportation technologies along part of the US 95 corridor in Las Vegas.

RTC, NDOT, partners receive $6 million in federal funding for emerging technologies to mitigate traffic congestion and enhance road safety
LAS VEGAS — The Regional Transportation Commission of Southern Nevada (RTC), the Nevada Department of Transportation (NDOT) and partners received a $6 million grant to expand emerging technologies on Las Vegas freeways. The five-mile expansion will extend west of downtown Las Vegas between I-15 and Summerlin Parkway on U.S. 95, a critical corridor that carries approximately 230,000 vehicles daily. These technologies will help enhance safety by mitigating congestion, decreasing the number of crashes, reducing travel time and increasing overall efficiency of the freeway.

The $6 million in funding comes from the U.S. Department of Transportation's Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) Advanced Transportation and Congestion Management Technologies Deployment (ATCMTD) program. The ATCMTD program funds early deployments of forward-looking technologies that can serve as national models.
<...>
Some technologies that will be deployed along U.S. 95 include wrong-way sensors that alert drivers immediately if they're traveling in the wrong direction; occupancy detection sensors in HOV lanes that collect data to reduce congestion and emissions; and overhead signs that warn motorists about incidents, speed reduction and lane closures ahead to mitigate crashes resulting from sudden braking.
<...>

And a short video from the RTC about this:
https://youtu.be/gmqIkXOxcAE

The most interesting thing to me is the overhead incident signage. This will be an expansion of the system recently deployed as part of Project Neon–a small bit of this stretch (mostly southbound approaching I-15) has this signage installed already through that project, but expanding and having incident signage in both directions along more of US 95 should prove to be beneficial.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.