News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Los Alamitos Traffic Circle

Started by Max Rockatansky, February 06, 2022, 07:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Does anyone have any source materials pertaining to the construction of Los Alamitos Traffic Circle in Long Beach.  As far as I can tell there is nothing in the CHPW for when the Circle was built.  I can't find much of anything else aside from an LA Times article stating the Circle was completed in 1932.  I tried some obvious sources like the Library of Congress but didn't come up with anything.

DTComposer

The June 1942 CHPW states that the circle was built in 1934, but what I recall reading somewhere else (maybe that same LA Times article) was it was done in 1932 in time for the Olympics.

Somewhere I have a bunch of random stuff I scanned from archives at the Long Beach Public Library. Let me do some digging.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: DTComposer on February 06, 2022, 07:57:22 PM
The June 1942 CHPW states that the circle was built in 1934, but what I recall reading somewhere else (maybe that same LA Times article) was it was done in 1932 in time for the Olympics.

Somewhere I have a bunch of random stuff I scanned from archives at the Long Beach Public Library. Let me do some digging.

That might make sense, the approach to State is shown as not existing on the 1934 DOH Map Insert.  The connecting road does appear on the 1935 DOH Map of Los Angeles along with the 1936-37 edition City Insert.  That would mean Los Alamitos Circle was a DOH built project and would have come after the Belmont Traffic Circle in Fresno.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.