News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

AAA was correct about I-195 in DC

Started by NE2, September 08, 2013, 01:59:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

Well, sort of. (If you haven't seen it, AAA maps in the 1990s showed I-395 under Capitol Hill as I-195.)

I had never read the 295-695 change in detail until now, and found this bit:
QuoteIn 1984, the District received approval from AASHTO to redesignate I-695 to I-395, and to redesignate the portion of I-395 through the 3rd Street tunnel as I-195. However, this approval was contingent on extending I-695 across the Anacostia River and connecting to DC 295 north of Pennsylvania Avenue. Since this connection was never completed, I-695 was never redesignated.

I'm also wondering about a bit on http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/highwayhistory/data/page05.cfm
QuoteOn April 30, 1980, Mayor Marion S. Barry requested the withdrawal of a 1.7-mile segment of the South Leg Freeway portion of I-695 between I-66 and I-395.

On August 27, 1980, Federal Highway Administrator John S. Hassell and Urban Mass Transportation Deputy Administrator Lillian C. Liburdi approved the withdrawal under the provisions of 23 U.S.C. 103(e)(4). In addition a 0.12 mile segment of I-695 was deleted from the Interstate System under Section 103(f).
Anyone know where that 0.12 mile segment was? The Potomac Freeway stub at I-66, or the I-395 Maine Avenue ramps?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alex

80's Rand McNally atlases also showed the Center Leg Freeway as I-195.

Henry

I thought the Barney Circle Freeway was proposed later than that (around 1994 or so)! It probably would've made more sense to extend I-395 eastward rather than I-695, as the proposed route would've ended at the substandard DC 295.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Henry on September 10, 2013, 01:29:29 PM
I thought the Barney Circle Freeway was proposed later than that (around 1994 or so)! It probably would've made more sense to extend I-395 eastward rather than I-695, as the proposed route would've ended at the substandard DC 295.

It was proposed decades before that.  The D.C. Department of Public Works (predecessor to DDOT) had a completed Final Environmental Impact Statement complete in  1996 or 1997, and they  were ready to seek bids to build it when Mayor-for-Life Marion Shepilov Barry (in his 4th and final term) was ordered by  the Sierra Club to cancel the project, and he complied.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

froggie

I dunno about "decades".  It would have been no earlier than 1978...that being when the I-295 East Leg was withdrawn north of East Capitol St.

NE2

http://wwwtripwithinthebeltway.blogspot.com/2007/03/barney-circle-freeway-bridge-project.html says 1983. Could have been useful, but the 11th Street Bridge project accomplishes the same thing.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.