News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstate 73/74

Started by Voyager, January 18, 2009, 08:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

When will NC finally admit to the fact that I-74 is never going to reach Cincinnati? Besides, messing with I-77's northernmost five miles is stupid and not needed, although when the two Interstates split southbound (or eastbound), I-74 forks off to the left and therefore should have I-77 as Exit 5. This would be the only good reason to renumber the mile markers and the single exit to match the westbound scheme, as VA is not going to do anything until WV (along with OH) gives in and builds its own sections, which will be unlikely for several more decades.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

The Ghostbuster

I wouldn't say Interstate 74 will never reach Cincinatti. At this point it is unlikely, although not impossible. The King Coal Highway and OH 32 might one day be converted to freeway standards, although none of us will likely live to see that day.

Roadsguy

Regardless of opinions on changing I-77's mile markers, having I-74 be its own exit 5 southbound is just silly and probably an error...

At the other end of the Mt. Airy bypass at the US 52 interchange, you've got something similar where WB I-74 will be its own left exit 17, though this is probably just a continuation of how it's already US 52's left exit 140.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

LM117

Quote from: Henry on September 06, 2022, 10:09:25 AM
When will NC finally admit to the fact that I-74 is never going to reach Cincinnati?

I'd go further and say that I-74 will never be built in WV, and that NCDOT might as well remove the I-74 shields off I-77.

As for I-73, I seriously doubt it will ever enter VA, and even if it does, it won't go further north than Martinsville. There's no widespread support for new interstates in VA like there is in NC, and SW VA simply does not have the political weight to go toe-to-toe with NOVA when competing for road dollars. Hell, SW VA is lucky to have any attention paid to I-81 at this point.

I don't see I-73 going to SC either, unless a big pile of cash falls in their lap, and any time there's even the slightest hint of movement towards progress, environmental lawsuits pop up.

I just don't see I-73 & I-74 leaving NC, period. Same goes for I-87.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

sprjus4

^ I think that if I-87 is ever completed to the state line, it's not totally unreasonable to see the mere 12 mile segment upgraded in southern Chesapeake. The roadway is on a limited access right of way and already largely conforms to interstate standards. The shoulders may need slight widening and the construction of 3-4 interchanges. It may happen slowly, but I can see it being complete at some point in the long term future.

The highest priority on that corridor in Virginia, IMO, is fixing the interchange with I-64 and VA-168. A full reconstruction needs to happen there.

Henry

A good stopping point for I-73 would be the interchange where I-581 currently ends at its parent. And the huge difference is, there's no Interstate serving Martinsville like there is for Roanoke. Also, US 220 already has a limited-access bypass in between the two towns, so upgrading it would be a no-brainer if I-73 were ever to be built. I can live with it being out of place on the grid, because there really is no ideal corridor west of I-77/I-75 for the appropriate number, at least not in this part of the country anyway.

At the other end near Rockingham, it may as well dead-end at the state line, although it would not be unique that way, as I-35 in KS once dead-ended at the southern border too.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

VTGoose

Quote from: Henry on September 07, 2022, 10:31:21 AM
A good stopping point for I-73 would be the interchange where I-581 currently ends at its parent. And the huge difference is, there's no Interstate serving Martinsville like there is for Roanoke. Also, US 220 already has a limited-access bypass in between the two towns, so upgrading it would be a no-brainer if I-73 were ever to be built.

Not going to happen. There have been multiple discussions about why there will never (or almost never) be an interstate highway between Roanoke and Martinsville. The terrain really doesn't allow it, there is no good way to get south of Roanoke to near Rocky Mount, and there is much resistance from the countryside where such a road might be built. If furniture and textiles were still a big business, there might be some impetus to improve freight movement to the northeast via a road to I-81, but that ship sailed to China long ago.
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

wdcrft63

There is an I-73 in VA thread in the Virginia forum. It was active last year discussing whether I-73 could be extended to Martinsville. It's been silent lately. As far as I can tell there's nothing about I-74 in VA and that issue seems to be dead. I think North Carolina should assume neither of these routes is going to be extended. I still have a small hope for I-73 in SC.

bob7374

As also reported under North Carolina, the new revised NCDOT 2023-2032 Draft STIP now funds upgrading of US 74 between the Rockingham and Laurinburg Bypasses to interstate standards with ROW to start in 2027 and construction in 2030 at an estimated cost of $223.8 million. The revised STIP still lists upgrading US 74 in Robeson and Columbus counties as unfunded though.

Alps

Quote from: bob7374 on September 07, 2022, 11:50:42 PM
As also reported under North Carolina, the new revised NCDOT 2023-2032 Draft STIP now funds upgrading of US 74 between the Rockingham and Laurinburg Bypasses to interstate standards with ROW to start in 2027 and construction in 2030 at an estimated cost of $223.8 million. The revised STIP still lists upgrading US 74 in Robeson and Columbus counties as unfunded though.
a state that keeps gaining this many people can keep affording this much construction

LM117

Quote from: wdcrft63 on September 07, 2022, 08:44:59 PM
There is an I-73 in VA thread in the Virginia forum. It was active last year discussing whether I-73 could be extended to Martinsville. It's been silent lately.

That's because there's been no real movement by VA towards building I-73 between the NC state line and US-58, and the chances of it happening are 0.01%. As far as I-73 between Martinsville and Roanoke goes...yeah, it ain't happening. It's dead.

QuoteAs far as I can tell there's nothing about I-74 in VA and that issue seems to be dead.

That's because I-74's route in VA consists solely of overlapping I-77. It's just not signed because there's no intention by WV and OH to build their parts. No sense in slapping I-74 shields on I-77 just to have I-74 permanently disappear at the WV state line, which is why I think NC should take their I-74 shields off I-77.

QuoteI think North Carolina should assume neither of these routes is going to be extended.

I think we all should at this point.

QuoteI still have a small hope for I-73 in SC.

I want to have hope for it, but between SC being cash-strapped, and the constant lawsuits any time a politician so much as whispers "I-73", I just don't see it happening.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Strider

Quote from: LM117 on September 08, 2022, 06:59:29 AM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on September 07, 2022, 08:44:59 PM
There is an I-73 in VA thread in the Virginia forum. It was active last year discussing whether I-73 could be extended to Martinsville. It's been silent lately.

That's because there's been no real movement by VA towards building I-73 between the NC state line and US-58, and the chances of it happening are 0.01%. As far as I-73 between Martinsville and Roanoke goes...yeah, it ain't happening. It's dead.

QuoteAs far as I can tell there's nothing about I-74 in VA and that issue seems to be dead.

That's because I-74's route in VA consists solely of overlapping I-77. It's just not signed because there's no intention by WV and OH to build their parts. No sense in slapping I-74 shields on I-77 just to have I-74 permanently disappear at the WV state line, which is why I think NC should take their I-74 shields off I-77.

QuoteI think North Carolina should assume neither of these routes is going to be extended.

I think we all should at this point.

QuoteI still have a small hope for I-73 in SC.

I want to have hope for it, but between SC being cash-strapped, and the constant lawsuits any time a politician so much as whispers "I-73", I just don't see it happening.

The only reason I-73 in VA is not active is because of COVID pandemic shut everything down and nothing has been updated. There has been talks restarted as of last month for MSC in related to funding, but that is all I heard of so far.

I-74 remains unsigned in VA for obvious reasons, and it is already approved, so VA is not in a rush to sign I-74 until the other parts of I-74 is finished (if that ever happens).

So, I-73 and I-74 WILL happen. Just not in our lifetime. I-73 has a chance to go up to Martinsville, but up to Roanoke? That's not happening in our lifetime. As of I-73 going to SC.... This is something I am not sure is going to happen. But, MB and Horry County is fighting like heck to have I-73 built down there, so don't assume nothing will get done.

sprjus4

^ I see better chances of I-73 in South Carolina getting complete before I-73 to Roanoke... let alone even Martinsville.

VTGoose

Quote from: sprjus4 on September 13, 2022, 03:04:01 AM
^ I see better chances of I-73 in South Carolina getting complete before I-73 to Roanoke... let alone even Martinsville.

I wouldn't totally count out the connection to Roanoke -- I-73 could be Fly-73 in the GPS routing of flying cars in the distant future.

But that is the only way there will be a connection to Roanoke.
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

abqtraveler

Quote from: VTGoose on September 13, 2022, 08:58:32 AM
Quote from: sprjus4 on September 13, 2022, 03:04:01 AM

I wouldn't totally count out the connection to Roanoke -- I-73 could be Fly-73 in the GPS routing of flying cars in the distant future.

But that is the only way there will be a connection to Roanoke.
For Virginia, if a road project not in the Northern Virginia/DC suburbs, it's inherently low on the priority list.  Not only is that the case for I-73, but even the proposed widening of I-81 has been talked about for 20+ years and we haven't seen but a shovelful of dirt moved on that.

It's always mentioned that Ohio and Michigan abandoned further study of I-73 within their states, but it's important to remember that almost all of the I-73 corridor in Michigan is already served by existing freeways that are at or close to interstate standards. I-73 was proposed to follow the US-23 corridor through that state. US-23 in Ohio is mostly 4-lane divided highway with substantial freeway sections, and Ohio plans to eventually upgrade the entire length of U-23 to freeway.  The main obstacle for completing I-73 and I-74 is West Virginia, where both routes would have to be built almost completely on new location, each through 200 or so miles rugged, mountainous terrain.  West Virginia has pretty much determined that the juice is not worth the squeeze.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

sprjus4

Quote from: abqtraveler on September 15, 2022, 10:12:47 AM
but it's important to remember that almost all of the I-73 corridor in Michigan is already served by existing freeways that are at or close to interstate standards. I-73 was proposed to follow the US-23 corridor through that state.
I-73 in Michigan was planned to follow US-223 and US-127 via Jackson and Lansing, not US-23. While a good majority of US-127 is built to interstate standards, the southern 50 or so miles between Toledo and Jackson is 2 lane road.

US-23 in Ohio is mostly 4-lane divided highway with substantial freeway sections, and Ohio plans to eventually upgrade the entire length of U-23 to freeway.
I'm not sure this is the case... While US-23 may eventually be upgraded between Toledo and Columbus, and even that is a long shot, I don't recall plans for the entire corridor in Ohio.

The Ghostbuster

You mean US 127. US 151 is in Iowa and Wisconsin.

sprjus4

abqtraveler

Quote from: sprjus4 on September 15, 2022, 11:18:32 AM
Quote from: abqtraveler on September 15, 2022, 10:12:47 AM
but it's important to remember that almost all of the I-73 corridor in Michigan is already served by existing freeways that are at or close to interstate standards. I-73 was proposed to follow the US-23 corridor through that state.
I-73 in Michigan was planned to follow US-223 and US-127 via Jackson and Lansing, not US-23. While a good majority of US-127 is built to interstate standards, the southern 50 or so miles between Toledo and Jackson is 2 lane road.
You are correct, although routings via I-96 and US-23 between Lansing and Toledo were also considered. Either I omitted a few words or they were cut off in my previous post. The sentence should have read, "In Ohio, I-73 was proposed to follow the US-23 corridor through that state."
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

carbaugh2

Here is a link to drone footage of the Beltway progress taken by the Winston-Salem Journal in early/mid-September.

CanesFan27

Quote from: Henry on September 06, 2022, 10:09:25 AM
When will NC finally admit to the fact that I-74 is never going to reach Cincinnati? Besides, messing with I-77's northernmost five miles is stupid and not needed, although when the two Interstates split southbound (or eastbound), I-74 forks off to the left and therefore should have I-77 as Exit 5. This would be the only good reason to renumber the mile markers and the single exit to match the westbound scheme, as VA is not going to do anything until WV (along with OH) gives in and builds its own sections, which will be unlikely for several more decades.

It doesn't matter to North Carolina if I-74 reaches Cincinnatti or not.  It is a legislatively approved and designated extension of I-74.  It would take an act of Congress to allow for it to be redesignated.

fillup420

Quote from: Molandfreak on September 06, 2022, 07:54:03 AM
Quote from: sprjus4 on September 06, 2022, 07:46:10 AM
I-77 is a long established highway independent of the I-74 corridor in North Carolina. It should not have its exits changed simply because they're going to make I-74 concurrent for a few miles.
Exactly one exit is going to be changed. After the change happens, show me an article about it causing mass confusion, and I'll eat a hat.

My main issue with this proposal is that the mileposts will no long make sense when crossing the state line.From VA to NC southbound, the mileposts will count down to 0 in VA, and up from 0 in NC. That is just nonsense. Everyone in the general public knows that road as I-77, and it needs the mileage posted accordingly.

roadman65

On paper here, as we all know VDOT will only designate I-74 unless WV builds their part, but are there any planned independent sections of I-74 within VA? Or is the other end of I-77 and I-74 supposed to split where the never to be built I-73 is to cross I-77 near Princeton?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

74/171FAN

Quote from: roadman65 on October 09, 2022, 02:24:48 PM
On paper here, as we all know VDOT will only designate I-74 unless WV builds their part, but are there any planned independent sections of I-74 within VA? Or is the other end of I-77 and I-74 supposed to split where the never to be built I-73 is to cross I-77 near Princeton?

It's the latter.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: roadman65 on October 09, 2022, 02:24:48 PM

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 09, 2022, 03:45:33 PM
It's the latter.

Although I-74 through Virginia is mandated by Congress, why would VDOT want to pay to add I-74 across the state if West Virginia ever upgrades the King Coal Highway and the Tolsia Highway to Interstate standards.  I can't help but think that the West Virginia segment would be stranded in the middle as a third I-74.  (But if Virginia upgraded Corridor Q to Interstate standards, why then would West Virginia bother signing anything more than I-73 across the King Coal and Tolsia highways?)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.