AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Records skipping on the radio  (Read 8266 times)

bandit957

• Pooing America

• Last Login: Today at 02:00:19 AM
Records skipping on the radio
« on: March 13, 2016, 09:34:27 PM »

Anyone else here remember when records used to skip on the radio?
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

davewiecking

• Last Login: Today at 05:12:30 AM
Re: Records skipping on the radio
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 09:36:33 PM »

Oh, yes. Quite the random observation there.

Jardine

• Last Login: September 06, 2018, 02:05:15 PM
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 10:13:49 PM »

One of our local AM music stations (yes, it was that long ago) advertised themselves as the 'more music station'.  This was not accomplished by running fewer commercials, no, they just sped up the turntable so they could play more songs per hour.

realjd

• Last Login: July 11, 2020, 01:09:51 PM
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 10:38:54 PM »

One of our local AM music stations (yes, it was that long ago) advertised themselves as the 'more music station'.  This was not accomplished by running fewer commercials, no, they just sped up the turntable so they could play more songs per hour.

This is still somewhat common, but it's to squeeze in more commercials instead of more music.

bandit957

• Pooing America

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 11:58:40 PM »

I think WCLU accidentally sped up some of their music since one of their turntables wasn't properly calibrated. I remember someone on the Internet talking about this.

I remember buying records after hearing the song on the radio and thinking the record sounded slow. Actually it was because WCLU played some records too fast.

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:52:41 PM
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 05:27:31 AM »

Same with CDs skipping or jumping because of a scratch.

bandit957

• Pooing America

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 11:30:05 AM »

One day, not long after stations started using CD's, a local station played "Shake Your Groove Thing" by Peaches & Herb during its retro lunch hour, and it began skipping. The DJ broke in and said it was because there was a booger on the CD.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 12:39:36 PM by bandit957 »

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:15:45 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 12:17:43 PM »

Worse than skipping was when a record got stuck. I heard that more than a few times.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

catch22

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 05:41:07 PM
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 12:44:44 PM »

It happened a lot at the college station I DJ'ed at back in the early 70's.  But what was a bigger problem was when the Collins cart machines would eat tapes.  We had all our commercials and PSAs on these carts (similar format to the 8-track tape cart).  We routinely would make two or three copies of everything since you never knew when the Tape Shredding God would strike.  Fun times.

bandit957

• Pooing America

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 12:46:18 PM »

I remember my mom driving me to school in 5th grade and listening to WCLU in the car, and "Here Comes The Rain Again" by the Eurythmics getting stuck in the second verse. It was at the line "Raining in my head like a tragedy." For the next 2 or 3 minutes, it kept repeating, "Raining in...Raining in...Raining in...Raining in..."

Apparently the station never replaced their record for this song. About 2 or 3 years later, I heard this same song on this same station, and it started getting stuck right at the same point in the song.

jp the roadgeek

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 07:11:46 PM
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 05:55:43 PM »

Reminds me of the skipping record in Up in Smoke that kept playing "Star****er"

My favorite was when the tape monster struck and caused a flip in one of my cassettes so that halfway through the side of a cassette, the tape would flip over and you'd be listening to backmasking from the other side of the tape (and trying to pick up those hidden messages)
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

noelbotevera

• Now at a Redbox kiosk near you!

• Last Login: February 14, 2024, 02:22:16 AM
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2016, 07:38:21 PM »

I'm not old enough to know records, but I remember CD's. I had a funny moment when I loaded in a video game CD and what happened is that the game was mirrored. So what happened is that everyone looked like mutants or suddenly disappeared and reappeared.

This is what I mean:

vdeane

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:10:05 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 01:17:21 PM »

I'm not old enough to know records
Maybe not, but unless the hipster phenomenon dies out in the next 10 years, you'll be young enough to know them.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SidS1045

• Last Login: March 14, 2024, 02:13:11 PM
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2016, 11:31:57 AM »

One day, not long after stations started using CD's, a local station played "Shake Your Groove Thing" by Peaches & Herb during its retro lunch hour, and it began skipping. The DJ broke in and said it was because there was a booger on the CD.

Ah...WKRP humor.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 12:44:16 AM
    • Gribblenation
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2016, 10:58:04 PM »

Yes and what more I remember is that it would screw up my mix tape recordings.  That and the fact the DJ would usually talk over the last 5-10 seconds of a good song when I was trying to get a good version.

brycecordry

• Last Login: March 05, 2022, 01:49:36 AM
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2016, 11:53:03 PM »

I actually speed up some of my music on purpose, as it gives it more energy, for lack of a better word.

The albums I do that to are those of The Seekers, Feeney Winthrop, and any other album on which the songs seem artificially slow.
Kind of like driving down an bypassed section of a US Highway at the county speed limit of 35, when you know darn well the road was designed for 65-70. :-)
A freeway is a freeway. We could cheaply build many new Interstates if it weren't for the nitty-gritty intricacy of Interstate Standards.

Pete from Boston

• Location: Massachusetts, and all the roads radiating out of it
  • Last Login: March 18, 2024, 03:29:22 PM
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2016, 06:37:46 AM »

I'm not old enough to know records
Maybe not, but unless the hipster phenomenon dies out in the next 10 years, you'll be young enough to know them.

Eh, maybe.  While this is true:

So is this:

Pete from Boston

Records skipping on the radio
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2016, 06:43:20 AM »

I listen to excellent local radio stations here where DJs dig up tracks you've never heard before because they have vast record libraries at the stations.  So this happens occasionally, though it doesn't go on for long.

Larry King has told a story of being a young DJ in Atlanta, working the overnight shift, and getting a call from a woman who claimed to be in love with his voice and begged for him to come down right that moment for a rendezvous. So, the story went, he put on some kind of long album side and booked it down there.  He arrived at her house, she opened the door, and he heard the radio on, the record skipping over and over and over and over... 

I'm sure a hundred other present and former DJs have told the same apocryphal story about themselves, because if there's anything more lonely than a roadgeek, it's an overnight DJ.

And really–in love with Larry King's voice?  Please.

1995hoo

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:22:06 PM
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2016, 07:03:47 AM »

I'm not old enough to know records, but I remember CD's....

"Remember"? You make a CD sound like some kind of historical artifact.

I actually speed up some of my music on purpose, as it gives it more energy, for lack of a better word.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who, as a kid, "made my own Chipmunks records" by speeding up 45s to 78 rpm or LPs to 45 rpm (the latter never worked quite as well). Can't easily do that now since my current Rega turntable requires removing the platter and adjusting the belt drive if I want to change the speed (so I never change the speed; if I want to play a 45, which is very rare, I pull out my old Yamaha turntable and connect it).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2016, 09:40:22 AM »

I'm not old enough to know records, but I remember CD's....

"Remember"? You make a CD sound like some kind of historical artifact.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who, as a kid, "made my own Chipmunks records" by speeding up 45s to 78 rpm or LPs to 45 rpm (the latter never worked quite as well). Can't easily do that now since my current Rega turntable requires removing the platter and adjusting the belt drive if I want to change the speed (so I never change the speed; if I want to play a 45, which is very rare, I pull out my old Yamaha turntable and connect it).

They pretty much are a historical artifact these days, I can't even think of who carries music CDs anymore.  Ironically ran across a batch of CDs a couple weeks ago, I have them sitting in my garage with a bunch of old VHS tapes, my VCR/13 inch TV combo and a Beta player.  There is a couple older PCs with the school giant floppy boot disk not to mention what I have for old game systems.  Record players and records not so much....they all fell victim to me and my brother trying replicate the scratching noise we kept hearing in MTV music videos.  There was some classic stuff in there too, all obliterated at the whim of a couple kids.  I'm sure the collectors crowd would be mortified to know we blew up all the original Star Wars in addition to Transformers toys with various types of bottle rockets and/or fireworks as well.  :-D

1995hoo

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2016, 10:04:25 AM »

I play CDs or DVD-Audio discs in the car almost every day.

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2016, 10:09:31 AM »

I play CDs or DVD-Audio discs in the car almost every day.

These days it's all MP3 downloads, I haven't bought a car since 2010 that has offered a CD player.  Ironically I still use the AUX jack simply because I find it easier to manually operate my MP3 player rather than through the touch screens.  Oddly I've seen some of those cassette player AUX jacks that you can play CD player music off of lately while making the rounds in the last month or so. 

1995hoo

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2016, 10:25:25 AM »

I still don't understand people's love for the .MP3 format. Lossy compression might have been necessary 15 years ago when data speeds were slow and storage was still expensive. There's no reason for it nowadays. Unless the music is poorly-produced, a CD will always sound better than .MP3. A high-rez .FLAC download is, of course, another story, but most people have no way to play those without a computer. You're always better off getting the .FLAC download if you have a choice, though, because it's easy enough to use software to transcode it to another format while keeping the original .FLAC. Put differently, there might be some reason why you want or need a lossy-compressed file at the moment, but if you download the .MP3, you're stuck with it in the future because most places won't let you re-download in a different format at no cost when you want a higher-quality file later. If you download the .FLAC, that's not an issue.

I still find it mildly amusing and mildly pathetic how many people incorrectly refer to devices like the iPod as ".MP3 players." Part of what made the iPod a good device for its time was that it didn't force any single standard upon the user.

(With all that said, an .MP3 is better than nothing when it comes to things like a concert bootleg.)

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2016, 10:50:56 AM »

I still don't understand people's love for the .MP3 format. Lossy compression might have been necessary 15 years ago when data speeds were slow and storage was still expensive. There's no reason for it nowadays. Unless the music is poorly-produced, a CD will always sound better than .MP3. A high-rez .FLAC download is, of course, another story, but most people have no way to play those without a computer. You're always better off getting the .FLAC download if you have a choice, though, because it's easy enough to use software to transcode it to another format while keeping the original .FLAC. Put differently, there might be some reason why you want or need a lossy-compressed file at the moment, but if you download the .MP3, you're stuck with it in the future because most places won't let you re-download in a different format at no cost when you want a higher-quality file later. If you download the .FLAC, that's not an issue.

I still find it mildly amusing and mildly pathetic how many people incorrectly refer to devices like the iPod as ".MP3 players." Part of what made the iPod a good device for its time was that it didn't force any single standard upon the user.

(With all that said, an .MP3 is better than nothing when it comes to things like a concert bootleg.)

You basically just hit it on the head.  It's a lot easier to convert my older stuff to MP3 format off of older media that I own.  I see zero reason to repurchase something that I already own especially if I'm making a copy for personal use on a newer media.  The secondary problem is that the availability for MP3 is so much greater than anything else out on the market if I want something new that I didn't own previously.  Personally I don't use apple products aside from my phone that was just a gift of circumstances, I don't even use it for music.

Pete from Boston

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2016, 11:05:53 AM »

Let's be realistic–the average listener doesn't concern themselves particularly with the finer points of sound quality.  .mp3 is a near-ubiquitous standard.  There's not the consumer pressure to upend that entrenched situation.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.