AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: Records skipping on the radio  (Read 8265 times)

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 12:44:16 AM
    • Gribblenation
Re: Records skipping on the radio
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2016, 11:11:59 AM »

It did bring back a limited market for vinyl though.  Someone mentioned it as a hipster trend...I'm not quite sure that encompasses the entire demographic though.  If I could find some reproduction high quality vinyl records for a lot of my 80s stuff I would be interested in it for at home purposes.  I don't consider myself part of the "hipster" crowd...doesn't that require drinking lots of Starbucks, wearing glasses you don't need, driving an alternative fuel vehicle and living in some sort of loft apartment in some far flung megalopolis?  The only things I've ever bought at Starbucks were a couple gift cards, a diet Pepsi and a breakfast sandwich once... 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 11:16:08 AM by Max Rockatansky »

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:52:41 PM
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2016, 11:51:31 AM »

Let's be realistic—the average listener doesn't concern themselves particularly with the finer points of sound quality.  .mp3 is a near-ubiquitous standard.  There's not the consumer pressure to upend that entrenched situation.

Unless they have Bose headphones & speakers, little earbuds aren't exactly performance listening devices either, so the sound quality of an mp3 is just fine for most listeners.

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:15:45 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2016, 01:01:26 PM »

Lots of places still carry audio CDs. Walmart is one.

I'd much rather buy a physical copy of the music and then rip it and upload it to my iPod. The only music downloads I've ever bought were either digital-only releases (like Chicago's "Nashville Sessions" re-recordings of their Terry Kath/Peter Cetera classics) or something I had trouble finding on CD and wanted immediately. I also tend to make a CD-R copy of CDs and play those in the car and keep the original at home. Of course I haven't bought any new music in a couple of years.

Back in the day, I acquired a lot of MP3s of music I already owned on 8-track, vinyl or cassette via Napster and Usenet newsgroups. Unfortunately I had to let my Newsguy subscription lapse so I can't download tunes anymore. I used to record all my vinyl onto cassettes to play in the car. The problem with that -- and is also a problem if you try to digitize vinyl -- is that the same pops and cracks that plague vinyl get transferred to the CD or the MP3.

As for lossy compression, it doesn't make a lot of difference if you're driving and you have to deal with road noise.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.