News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 19, 2011, 09:42:55 AMWere the number assigned to the route today, I would call it 50-50, but considering the history, I would say the number 62 was appropriate.

I'd only allow that number if it intersected US 17-1.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

vtk

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 19, 2011, 09:42:55 AM
Quote from: vtk on September 19, 2011, 12:50:19 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 19, 2011, 12:31:35 AM
62 is an even number.

You're right: the number 62 is also wrong.

I don't agree. 62's original extent was Carlsbad NM to Maysville KY; this is obviously more E-W than N-S. The extension to Niagara Falls muddies the issue significantly, but by a visual estimation on a map El Paso and Niagara Falls appear to be separated further E-W than they are N-S. SW-NE routes are always a crapshoot as to their numbering, but in the end, one or the other has to be picked. Were the number assigned to the route today, I would call it 50-50, but considering the history, I would say the number 62 was appropriate.

Okay, I can't really argue with that, if we're being serious.  I can, however, opine that diagonal US routes should be able to change their direction at state borders, if it corresponds closely to a geographical direction change – as they often do in reality – and that US 62 should be signed N-S in OH, NY, and probably PA (to match neighbors OH and NY).  I think ODOT is fairly wishy-washy on this; directional banners are simply omitted in many cases, and most assemblies I've seen of the US 62 / OH 3 overlap have a single shared NORTH or SOUTH banner, if any directional banner at all.  So "EAST US 62" may be technically "correct" in Ohio, but I still say it's an error – perhaps not an erroneous sign, but an erroneous decision made by someone at ODOT decades ago.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

NE2

US 62 really should not be a continuous route. In many places it's an alternate to another route or just a minor road. For example US 68 is a better road from Lexington-Versailles to Maysville, and it looks to do way too much stairstepping northeast of Canton.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

Quote from: NE2 on September 19, 2011, 03:52:22 PM
US 62 really should not be a continuous route. In many places it's an alternate to another route or just a minor road. For example US 68 is a better road from Lexington-Versailles to Maysville, and it looks to do way too much stairstepping northeast of Canton.

Kentucky has four classifications of roads -- state primary (includes interstates and parkways), state secondary, rural secondary and supplemental. Once upon a time a segment of US 62 in Mason County was classified as a supplemental road. That has since changed.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

When in doubt, sign it as both.

Nelson Road, just north of Broad St. in Bexley. 2003
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Central Avenue

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on September 20, 2011, 12:04:38 AM
When in doubt, sign it as both.
[picture]
Nelson Road, just north of Broad St. in Bexley. 2003

My first thought is "why do you need two reassurance markers so close together in the first place?"
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

hbelkins

Quote from: Central Avenue on September 20, 2011, 01:26:22 AM
My first thought is "why do you need two reassurance markers so close together in the first place?"

New York does that almost as a matter of course. You'll see a route marker with the directional banner, then just a few feet down the road the route sign without the directional banner. Seems awfully redundant to me.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadfro

Quote from: hbelkins on September 20, 2011, 02:01:12 PM
Quote from: Central Avenue on September 20, 2011, 01:26:22 AM

New York does that almost as a matter of course. You'll see a route marker with the directional banner, then just a few feet down the road the route sign without the directional banner. Seems awfully redundant to me.

Might it have something to do with various construction, signage projects or updating signage when routes are changed or realigned. I.e. the contract documents specify a new sign to be installed, but for whatever reason the old sign(s) are not removed even if duplicative. The distance between could be due to updates to or new compliance with sign spacing standards. Just speculating...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

vdeane

Probably.  NY signage varies not only by region but by what government maintains the road.  It's also not uncommon to see only signs immediately where a route turns or intersects another but nowhere else, at least in cities.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

gonealookin

The last couple hundred yards of NV 28 along the east shore of Lake Tahoe seems like an odd place to put a "Begin" sign in reference to US 50.

(Edit:  Image posted on Photobucket deleted)

The sign that one replaced had the more conventional "Junction" reference:

https://www.aaroads.com/west/nevada028/nv-028_eb_lake_tahoe_75.jpg

Quillz

I also like how it's a hugely oversized "BEGIN," too.

Jim

Quote from: gonealookin on September 23, 2011, 04:55:46 PM
The last couple hundred yards of NV 28 along the east shore of Lake Tahoe seems like an odd place to put a "Begin" sign in reference to US 50.

Virginia does this kind of thing at Virginia 207's junction with US 301:

No, US 301 doesn't begin anywhere near here.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Brandon

They're not they only BEGIN signs like that.  The south end of the Tri-State Tollway has the following:
END - {294}
BEGIN - {80} {94}

However, one is already on I-80 (combined with I-294) and merging with I-94.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Jim on September 23, 2011, 06:25:13 PM
No, US 301 doesn't begin anywhere near here.

It doesn't end, either. ;)

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

vtk

I think there are a lot of examples of a "begin" banner whose intended meaning is "you are now on" suchandsuch a road.  Correct, no; rare, unfortunately no.  I don't think "end" is similarly misused in as many cases.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

roadfro

Quote from: gonealookin on September 23, 2011, 04:55:46 PM

The sign that one replaced had the more conventional "Junction" reference:

https://www.aaroads.com/west/nevada028/nv-028_eb_lake_tahoe_75.jpg

SR 28 was repaved not too long ago (within the last year or so), so many signs were probably replaced--I noticed the two shields switched positions and the SR 28 shield is the newer design (using the approximated outline of the southern tip) and also the parking regulation sign in the background is also different. Thus, I assume that 'begin' plate is a contractor error.

That type of error is fairly rare for Nevada, as NDOT is pretty good a posting end/jct assemblies outside of urban areas.

Also, I have never seen an oversized "begin" banner in Nevada before--typically, they're undersized if not the standard banner height.

Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

formulanone

Leafing through my old pics from January 2008: It should be a US 441 shield, not a Florida State Road one (FL 441 is to the northeast).

Conners Highway "SR 441" road by formulanone on Flickr

Rover_0

Here's one I've managed to fix:  In Salina, UT, at the junction of UT-24 and US-50, an erroneous "UT-50" shield was placed there.  I got in touch with a regional employee, and this has been replaced.  I'm actually going to see if I can get it.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

xonhulu

Quote from: Rover_0 on September 29, 2011, 01:03:41 AM
Here's one I've managed to fix:  In Salina, UT, at the junction of UT-24 and US-50, an erroneous "UT-50" shield was placed there.  I got in touch with a regional employee, and this has been replaced.  I'm actually going to see if I can get it.

Dang, don't tell them about it!  I'd rather see the error remain in place.

Does the erroneous Utah beauty pictured below still exist?

Kniwt

Quote from: xonhulu on September 29, 2011, 08:19:58 PM
Does the erroneous Utah beauty pictured below still exist?

As of early July, yes.

okroads

How is U.S. 281 North both straight and to the right? When ODOT added the "North" tab, they didn't change the arrows...

Lightning Strike

I don't have a picture because it caught me off guard, but as i was driving the usual route on 80/94 WB towards Chicago I did notice the sign at the 2mi mark prior to the split off has 94 listed as NB to Chicago. First time I've noticed it and I've been taking that route for almost 5 yrs. Is this new or is it me?

Brandon

Quote from: Lightning Strike on October 05, 2011, 02:14:57 AM
I don't have a picture because it caught me off guard, but as i was driving the usual route on 80/94 WB towards Chicago I did notice the sign at the 2mi mark prior to the split off has 94 listed as NB to Chicago. First time I've noticed it and I've been taking that route for almost 5 yrs. Is this new or is it me?

A number of I-94 North or South signs exist out there due to the direction I-94 takes in Illinois.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

okroads

Quote from: Lightning Strike on October 05, 2011, 02:14:57 AM

Brandon

^^ That's an InDOT sign.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.