News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadfro

Quote from: WNYroadgeek on November 28, 2009, 08:20:16 PM

Since when was I-390 an east\west route?

A sign-design error is evident as well. The MUTCD does either discourages or flat out disallows the use of independent-use directional banners on a guide sign like this (i.e. the west banners underneath the I-86 & NY 17 shields should be a printed in white directly on the green area of the sign above/next to the shields).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

US71

Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 25, 2009, 02:48:24 PM

I've asked around and appears to be a contractor error. No one remembers North-South on 66, even in Illinois
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

City

Quote from: roadfro on November 29, 2009, 04:20:53 AM
Quote from: WNYroadgeek on November 28, 2009, 08:20:16 PM

Since when was I-390 an east\west route?

A sign-design error is evident as well. The MUTCD does either discourages or flat out disallows the use of independent-use directional banners on a guide sign like this (i.e. the west banners underneath the I-86 & NY 17 shields should be a printed in white directly on the green area of the sign above/next to the shields).
The way the sign is worded seems funky to me. I think that the sign could be rephrased. How does "TO Rochester, USE Interstate 86/NY 17 WEST TO Interstate 390 NORTH" sound?

jdb1234

agentsteel53

I've always wondered if that "extra large initial capital letter" style was ever a federal spec, because it pops up more often than expected.  It was a California state spec ... before 1958!

the style pops up in California every so often, but to see it in another state is odd.  I've seen it somewhere else, but cannot remember where - neither California nor Alabama though.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

thenetwork

Quote from: City on November 29, 2009, 02:07:14 PM

I am willing to bet that that BGS is a sign that was around during the pre-I-86 days, and there was probably a larger NY-17 shield which was where the current 86 & 17 shields are now. 

And as far as the wording, I would think that saying "Rochester via I-390" would be sufficient for the first half of the BGS, no?

Scott5114

Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 29, 2009, 07:49:03 PM
I've always wondered if that "extra large initial capital letter" style was ever a federal spec, because it pops up more often than expected.  It was a California state spec ... before 1958!

J.N. Winkler and I have had a discussion on this, and he theorized that it results from newbie sign designers misinterpreting some particular section of the MUTCD (something about the lowercase loop height being misconstrued as requiring adjustment of the uppercase loop height).

My idea was that it results from a DOT that uses some form of demountable copy (either retroreflective like KS did up till a few years ago, or button copy) running out of some particular letter needed to complete the message at the desired size, so they bump the lowercase letters down to the next smaller size to hurry up and get the sign out. J.N. noted that a good many of that type of sign in Kansas appear to be emergency quick & dirty replacements.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

City

jdb1234

roadfro

Quote from: thenetwork on November 29, 2009, 08:15:43 PM
Quote from: City on November 29, 2009, 02:07:14 PM

I am willing to bet that that BGS is a sign that was around during the pre-I-86 days, and there was probably a larger NY-17 shield which was where the current 86 & 17 shields are now. 

And as far as the wording, I would think that saying "Rochester via I-390" would be sufficient for the first half of the BGS, no?

Ah, on closer inspection I see evidence of where a larger shield may have been placed where the I-86 shield is now.  They probably could have done without the I-390 shield or used some greenout to make the "via I-390" legend a bit clearer.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Brandon

Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 29, 2009, 07:49:03 PM

(Image removed - see quoted post)

the style pops up in California every so often, but to see it in another state is odd.  I've seen it somewhere else, but cannot remember where - neither California nor Alabama though.

The Illinois Tollway (ISTHA) uses it quite often on minor signage.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Revive 755

On WB I-76 east of Denver, there are several mile markers that use a US 76 shield instead of an I-76 shield.

74/171FAN

This is also on Alps' site but here is the infamous US-route triplex in Colonial Heights, VA between US 1, US 301, and US 144, wait actually it's VA 144. 
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

vdeane

Quote from: roadfro on November 30, 2009, 06:36:01 AM

Ah, on closer inspection I see evidence of where a larger shield may have been placed where the I-86 shield is now.  They probably could have done without the I-390 shield or used some greenout to make the "via I-390" legend a bit clearer.
It looks like the I-390 shield was tacked on after the fact as well.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

wytout

Someone at the sign shop didn't realize that Big-cap/Little-caps wording is reserved for cardinal directions on signage I guess.

-Chris

D-Dey65

Quote from: Terry Shea on October 19, 2009, 09:32:26 AM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on October 19, 2009, 08:08:00 AM
I showed you that US 52 sign on Pasco CR 583 & Florida SR 52, and those incorrect cardinal direction banners on I-75 at Exit 309. Now I'm going to show you one of many signs placed southbound along I-75 and the Suncoast Parkway.

There's no way in hell that you'll reach St. Petersburg before you reach Tampa.

Ah, but the sign is telling us that it's 52 miles to I-275 (which takes us to St Pete) not to St Pete itself.  Probably would have been better to leave any city designation off from that part of the sign though to avoid any confusion.
Ah, yes. Some of them have the word "TO" placed in them.

mightyace

^^^

That mix of Clearview and FHWA on the EXIT 49 sign doesn't help much either.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Brandon

Quote from: mightyace on December 14, 2009, 05:35:38 PM
^^^

That mix of Clearview and FHWA on the EXIT 49 sign doesn't help much either.

At least it's a tab versus the main part of the sign.  The Illinois Tollway has a few signs along eastbound I-88 that transition from Highway Gothic to Clearview fromt he top to the bottom of the sign.  There's at least 3 separate signs, all for the 22nd Street exit, that do this.  They are as follows:

[Highway Gothic]
22nd Street
TO {83}
[Clearview]
1/2 MILE (or 1 MILE or 1/4 MILE)

I seriously need to get pictures of those mutants one day.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

wytout

I think the sign is all Highway Gothic, but just a mix of type heaviness, etc... I do remember when the sign was Ann St, High St. only a few years ago.  The sign changed in 2007 I think?
-Chris

mightyace

Quote from: wytout on December 14, 2009, 06:30:27 PM
I think the sign is all Highway Gothic, but just a mix of type heaviness, etc... I do remember when the sign was Ann St, High St. only a few years ago.  The sign changed in 2007 I think?

I'm sorry, I just assumed since the Exit 49 sign was ugly that it was Clearview!  :sombrero:
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

WillWeaverRVA

The error here is that this isn't where US 60 ends. US 60 ends on Atlantic Avenue at Rudee Inlet (Virginia Beach), just to the east. It's never been where this sign is (near the northern end of General Booth Boulevard).

This is where the actual endpoint is.

(If anyone wants to use this for some reason I do have a watermark-free version that's the same size.)
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

hbelkins

Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on December 15, 2009, 12:53:07 AM
(If anyone wants to use this for some reason I do have a watermark-free version that's the same size.)

So, then, how far along is your "Operation Watermark?"  :-D :-D :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Truvelo

Quote from: hbelkins on December 15, 2009, 01:29:13 PM
Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on December 15, 2009, 12:53:07 AM

So, then, how far along is your "Operation Watermark?"  :-D :-D :-D

It's easy to remove such a watermark. Just look at this picture where I've completely removed all the light poles :wow:

Speed limits limit life

vdeane

How on Earth did you do that?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Truvelo

Quote from: deanej on December 15, 2009, 03:02:59 PM
How on Earth did you do that?

In Windows Paint using the copy and paste tools. Just grab a section of vegetation and copy it somewhere else.

Look at the full size pictures and notice the phone number on the back of the white truck and the licence plate numbers on the cars :colorful:
Speed limits limit life

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.