News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: ctsignguy on January 17, 2010, 02:09:18 AMUS 62 is officially N-S, as it's meandering pathway through Ohio is more north-south than east-west (even though nationally, US 62 is deemed E-W)....

Actually, everywhere I can recall seeing US 62 signed in Ohio, it's E-W. I know it certainly is after it crosses from Kentucky into Ohio. In Kentucky, both US 62 and US 68 are E-W routes. Upon crossing into the Worthless Nut State, 62 remains E-W but 68 becomes N-S.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

WillWeaverRVA

This isn't VA 147 duplexing with itself; Richmond forgot a "to".

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

shoptb1

Quote from: hbelkins on January 18, 2010, 10:55:16 PM
Actually, everywhere I can recall seeing US 62 signed in Ohio, it's E-W. I know it certainly is after it crosses from Kentucky into Ohio. In Kentucky, both US 62 and US 68 are E-W routes. Upon crossing into the Worthless Nut State, 62 remains E-W but 68 becomes N-S.

There are quite a few North-South US-62 signs scattered throughout the Columbus metro.  Again, it seems to be done this way on a localized direction basis, and probably up to the individual engineer's discretion.

corco

I found this gem while trolling around Casper yesterday

Now, this route only lasts for another block (to 20/26/87), so it seems a tad ridiculous to mark it so well, but that's not the error.

The problem is that this is Wyoming Highway 258. WYO 158 is a lonely spur from WYO 92 to some dirt roads along the Nebraska state line. I checked just to make sure, but following this sign did not teleport me there, so I can only assume it's an error.

xonhulu

Quote from: corco on February 07, 2010, 01:00:35 PM

Now, this route only lasts for another block (to 20/26/87), so it seems a tad ridiculous to mark it so well, but that's not the error.

In a similar vein, ODOT recently put up this sign bridge on northbound I-5 in Eugene (OR 569 was only signed on Belt Line Rd in Nov. 2007, so these are the first BGS's on I-5 noting the route).  There's another sign bridge in the distance with basically the same info.  No problem with 569 west, but if you exit onto eastbound you will quickly (half a block) pass under a sign bridge with an "END 569" sign, so why bother to inform you it's 569 east?

hbelkins

Quote from: corco on February 07, 2010, 01:00:35 PM

What is the brand of the fuel station in the background of this photo? I ask because Kroger uses the same logo in this area.

corco

Loaf 'n Jug- it's also a Kroger product. Out here that logo can be found on Loaf 'n Jug, King Soopers, City Market, Fred Meyer, and Smith's gas stations. Then there's a few others (Kwik Stop, I think, or something along those lines, and then Turkey Hill out in Pennsylvania, and then a couple others).

A few years ago Kroger bought a bunch of regional gas station chains and commonized them all with that logo and you can buy Kroger branded products in the store

Alex

Quote from: corco on February 07, 2010, 07:31:32 PM
Loaf 'n Jug- it's also a Kroger product. Out here that logo can be found on Loaf 'n Jug, King Soopers, City Market, Fred Meyer, and Smith's gas stations. Then there's a few others (Kwik Stop, I think, or something along those lines, and then Turkey Hill out in Pennsylvania, and then a couple others).

A few years ago Kroger bought a bunch of regional gas station chains and commonized them all with that logo and you can buy Kroger branded products in the store

The Tom Thumb chain in the southeast also uses the same logo.

Brandon

Quote from: AARoads on February 08, 2010, 12:40:50 PM

Interesting, considering that they are owned by Safeway (just as Dominick's is).  The Food 4 Lesses here in Chicagoland use it due to their Kroger ownership.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

shoptb1

Quote from: Brandon on February 08, 2010, 01:05:49 PM

Interesting, considering that they are owned by Safeway (just as Dominick's is).  The Food 4 Lesses here in Chicagoland use it due to their Kroger ownership.

There are two different Tom Thumb chains.  This is what is causing confusion here. 

1) Tom Thumb convenience stores, which has about 116 locations in Southern Alabama and in Northwest Florida.  Dillon Companies acquired the Tom Thumb Food Stores in 1984. Dillon Companies is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Kroger Company. 

2) Tom Thumb Food & Pharmacy is a chain of supermarkets in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex.  Tom Thumb and Randall's Food Markets make up the 112-store Texas division of Safeway Inc. 

hbelkins

Doesn't Kroger own Safeway?

shoptb1

Quote from: hbelkins on February 08, 2010, 11:22:48 PM

Doesn't Kroger own Safeway?

No, they are competitors.  From Wikipedia...so ya know it's true  :sombrero:

1) Safeway Inc. (NYSE: SWY), a Fortune 500 company, is North America's third largest supermarket chain, with, as of December 29, 2007, 1743 stores located throughout the western and central United States and western Canada. It also operates some stores in the Mid-Atlantic region of the Eastern Seaboard. The company is headquartered in Pleasanton, California. Supermarket News ranked Safeway No. 4 in the 2007 "Top 75 North American Food Retailers" based on 2006 fiscal year estimated sales of $40.5 billion. Based on 2005 revenue, Safeway is the tenth-largest retailer in the United States.

2) The Kroger Co. (NYSE: KR) is an American retail supermarket chain and parent company, founded by Bernard Kroger in 1883 in Cincinnati, Ohio. It reported US$76 billion in sales during fiscal year 2008. It is the country's largest grocery store chain and its second-largest grocery retailer by volume and second-place general retailer in the country, with Wal-Mart being the largest. As of the first quarter of 2009, Kroger operated, either directly or through its subsidiaries, 2,475 supermarkets, and had 798 fuel centers.  Kroger's headquarters are centralized in Downtown Cincinnati, but it spans many states with store formats that include supermarkets, hypermarkets, department stores, convenience stores and mall jewelry stores. Kroger-branded grocery stores are located throughout the Midwestern and Southern United States.

corco

I wasn't able to get a good picture because I didn't notice it, but I just caught a glimpse of it out of the margins of one of the pictures I took- here we have a circular highway shield on a stoplight street name panel designating WYO 220. Check out the upper right:

The google street view image is slightly better:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=casper+wy&sll=35.576917,-95.421753&sspn=1.796013,5.410767&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Casper,+Natrona,+Wyoming&ll=42.808426,-106.413713&spn=0.012657,0.042272&z=15&layer=c&cbll=42.808406,-106.413846&panoid=fa7X2VFzP4H6a3rl5l0DkA&cbp=12,153.28,,0,-9.98

Brandon

Shoptb1, I initially thought you were talking about the grocery chain.  Thanks, I did not know there were two different Tom Thumb chains.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Michael

I just found a US 222 that should be NY 222 in Groton on Google Street View.

On a side note, the bridge behind the sign is for a private residence.  I think it'd be cool to live in a house with a bridge in the driveway, until it needed to be repaired or replaced.

Mr_Northside

Yeah... when it gets to the point it needs repaired or replaced, then it probably isn't so cool.  (Occasionally there are articles in the paper or where ever about people who can't afford it and are worried they'll be "stuck")

That said, if I had to have a bridge as part of my driveway, I'd try to make it some sort of drawbridge.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

WNYroadgeek

404- NY shields not found.

mightyace

^^^
I put that in the "plausible error" category as, theoretically, a US 404 could exist in NY.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Michael

^^^ It does meet NY 104, which was once US 104.

P.S.: I was all ready to say "Shopped!" until I did a minimal amount of research (translation: Wikipedia and Google). ;)

okroads

Here is an error I saw this past weekend:

shoptb1

Quote from: okroads on March 16, 2010, 12:02:31 PM
Here is an error I saw this past weekend:

How nice of them to give you 1/2 mile advance notice of the upside-down sign :)

Michael

Here's the same sign, used properly before Tipperary Hill's upside-down traffic light in Syracuse:

Credit: Gribblenation

Alex

As if it was not odd enough that Augusta is a control city for U.S. 1 way down in Waycross, this sign directs drivers to "AUGSTA"!

OracleUsr

Is there just nothing between Waycross and Augusta on US 1?
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

agentsteel53

no major cities, no.  just a bunch of mid-size towns of similar size to Waycross.  And the small town of Santa Claus, it looks like! 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.