Lowest-numbered route you haven't been on an independent section

Started by SkyPesos, August 07, 2021, 10:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyPesos

A twist on the "Lowest-numbered route you haven't been on" thread, and to see how far some people (including me) fall without including concurrencies. Basically same thing as the other thread, except you can only count a number if you been on an independent section of that number.
Regarding unsigned concurrencies, they would count towards your number if the unsigned number isn't signed anywhere at all outside of the concurrency. So
- I-75 and GA 401 counts for 75 because GA 401 is completely unsigned.
- I-465/US 31/US 36/US 40/US 52/US 421/IN 37/IN 67 doesn't count for 465, nor any of the other numbers, because all of those routes are signed somewhere not in that specific concurrency.

For me:
US 1
MA 2
OH 3
I-4
I-5
G6 (China)

Lowest number for me is 7. I've been on OH 7 and VA 7, but only on the concurrent portions with US 22 and US 15 respectively.

TheHighwayMan3561

Looks like 67 (three pieces of US 67 with I-30, I-35E, and US 61), MN 67 (with MN 23), and WIS 67 (with WIS 16)
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Rothman

Looks like I'm okay and my lowest numbered "independent" route matches what I've got in the main thread: 288.  Had I not taken some local trips over the past couple of years, I might have been stuck at 38 (IA 38's concurrency with I-80), but I've been on independent 38s now.

That said, I only have a 325 due to TN 325 having a short concurrency with TN 111...I think.  I should check on that.

Anyway, my concurrency touches:

325 (TN 325/TN 111).  NY 325's easy enough to get to.
333 (KY 333/US 60).  Biggest pain of the three.  PA 333 is far enough to be annoying.
555 (OH 555 with OH 37 or OH 78).  I'll get I-555 someday.

That's it.  Got a lot of holes between 288 and whatever anyway where I haven't touched anything.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Mapmikey

My number of 428 is unaffected by this potential condition...

Scott5114

What if, say, the only contact you've had with a 110 is MO 110, which is entirely concurrent with other routes? Can't count that at all, then?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SkyPesos

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 07, 2021, 11:07:11 PM
What if, say, the only contact you've had with a 110 is MO 110, which is entirely concurrent with other routes? Can't count that at all, then?
First of all, it depends on which MO 110 you're talking about, the Jefferson County one is completely independent  :sombrero: (yes, I have an issue with MoDOT duplicating state route numbers like 110). I assume you're referring to the CKC one, which wouldn't count at all then.

Rothman

Quote from: Mapmikey on August 07, 2021, 11:02:54 PM
My number of 428 is unaffected by this potential condition...

Nothing potential about it.  This is just silliness in this thread.  If you've been on a route, you've been on a route.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jp the roadgeek

Not affected.  19 is still the lowest (driven past both ends of CT/MA 19 but never drove on the route).
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

SkyPesos

Interesting seeing so many people unaffected from this condition. I already lost like 5 or 6 numbers between my lowest here and lowest in the main thread from I-465 and the Madison beltline alone.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 07, 2021, 11:07:11 PM

I believe with MN 110 being killed off that this specific example now actually applies to me.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Rothman

Quote from: SkyPesos on August 07, 2021, 11:28:03 PM
Interesting seeing so many people unaffected from this condition. I already lost like 5 or 6 numbers between my lowest here and lowest in the main thread from I-465 and the Madison beltline alone.

The whole endeavor is biased towards those that live closer to or within states that have a gazillion routes to run off and drive on. 

US 89

A few close calls here, since I'm not allowed to use any US highway in Georgia. Since I keep track of unsigned routes, that condition would apply to Alabama, Florida, and Tennessee as well...but it turns out that doesn't actually change anything.

It looks like I get as far as 47 with extant routes - my current claim to that number is GA 47, for which I only have a short overlap with GA 43. But I did travel on NM 47 in Albuquerque before that part was decommissioned.

If that's still okay, my answer appears to be 49. From what I can tell, I have been on five 49s but not a single independent portion of any of them:

- I-49: appears all portions of this route I've been on are concurrent with US 71
- US 49: only on its concurrency with I-555 in Jonesboro
- AL 49: only its concurrency with US 280
- CA 49: I-80 concurrency
- GA 49: just a short segment in Macon that is concurrent with US 129 and a whole host of other US and Georgia routes

Evan_Th

This knocks me all the way down to 3.  I've been on Oswego Highway No. 3 (Macadam Ave, Portland, OR), but that's unsigned; I've been on BC 3, but only on the section in Hope concurrent with BC 5.  I've been on IL 3, but only the part concurrent with I-70 in East St. Louis.

My next gap is 19 - I've been on US 19 in North Carolina, but only the part concurrent with other routes from the Great Smoky Mountains Expressway to just north of Asheville.

The list:

US 1 (NC, VA, DC, NJ, NY)
US 2 (WA)
Oswego Highway No. 3 (Macadam Ave, Portland, OR; unsigned) / BC 3 (Hope, BC; concurrent with BC 5)  / ?GA 3 in Atl? / IL 3 in E St Louis
WA 4 ; Charlotte Route 4 (Billy Graham Pkwy, Charlotte, NC)
I-5 (WA, OR, CA)
M-6 (Cumbria, England)
WA 7 (Pacific Ave, Tacoma, WA)
WA 8 / NC 8 (north of Winston-Salem)
WA 9 / NC 9 (Black Mountain, NC)
I-10 (Los Angeles, CA)
US 11 (NY)
NC 12 (Kitty Hawk)
NY 13 (Ithaca)
San Diego County Route S14 (Oceanside & Vista, California) - yes, I believe this is signed
US 15 (NC, VA, MD, PA)
NC 16 (Charlotte, NC)
US 17 (VA, NC)
WA 18 (Snoqualmie & Auburn, WA)
US 19 (Asheville, NC) -- but only concurrencies

JayhawkCO

Looks like my number is 107.  I've only been on NH107 when it is concurrent with US4.

Chris

NWI_Irish96

Mine is still 107. There aren't any numbers less than 107 that I got only as part of a concurrency.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

74/171FAN

Technically this drops back back down to 47; however, I remember driving a short section of NJ 47 north of US 322 as a result of missing my turn.  Otherwise I would still be at 89.

This does add the following numbers back to my list below 400; however, 96 (only sections of NC/VA 96 concurrent with SC/NC/VA 49), 108 (only section of PA 108 concurrent with PA 18), 127 (only sections of US 127 concurrent with other routes), 133 (only section of NC 133 concurrent with US 74 (and other routes)), 151 (only section of OH 151 concurrent with US 22 (not counting myself turning around on PA 151 at I-376), 160 (only section concurrent with PA 869), 186 (only section of NC 186 concurrent with US 301), 188 (only section of OH 188 concurrent with US 22 (and other routes)), 210 (only section of PA 210 concurrent with PA 85 (and partly PA 954)), and 332 (only section of PA 332 concurrent with PA 413 (and PA 532)).

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

7/8

Looks like mine is reduced from 88 to 32. The only 32 I've been on is MO 32, on a 0.7 mile concurrency with MO 5 and MO 64 in Lebanon.

thspfc

3 probably. I've been on US-1 and FL-A1A. Been on US-2. Never been on a 3 at all.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Rothman on August 07, 2021, 11:32:56 PM

The whole endeavor is biased towards those that live closer to or within states that have a gazillion routes to run off and drive on.
I was more thinking that a lot of people here planning trips for lowest numbered route would take advantage of concurrencies to shorten the distance traveled and get more numbers done. Guess I'm wrong about that.

Rothman

Quote from: SkyPesos on August 08, 2021, 12:30:52 PM

I was more thinking that a lot of people here planning trips for lowest numbered route would take advantage of concurrencies to shorten the distance traveled and get more numbers done. Guess I'm wrong about that.

Some of us are, for the lack of a better word, older.

So, this hasn't been a lifelong pursuit and, in fact, it is more of a silly one that really isn't a top priority.  But, travel to sightsee, in general, has been.

Therefore, the fact that there are those of us who aren't "knocked down" by the concurrency condition you've presented is just coincidence.  It's not like I planned trips to head out and touch routes.  Rather, I have been able to go on a lot of road trips in my lifetime and, like a lot of people on here, I am one of those weirdoes that has kept track of those trips to national parks, family, or Disney or wherever, with these petty roadgeek games only coming into play in much more recent years.

formulanone

This knocks me down to 265, to be picky.

I have driven about 0.2 of a mile of Alabama's SR 265 in Beatrice, but that was mostly to get a photo of the reassurance sign, turn around somewhere safely, and then a shot of the END assembly, but not crossing over any routes of significance...as per Travel Mapping.

I've driven on I-265 in Kentucky (is concurrent with 841), Indiana's SR 265 (concurrent with SR 62), California's 265 (concurrent with Business I-5 in Weed), and only 0.2 mile of Tennessee's SR 265, the concurrent section with SR 109 near I-840. Not aware of any others I've travelled upon for number 265.

After that, 393. Isn't I-393 in Concord overlapped with US 4/202? Otherwise I have no record of other routes numbered 393 that I've driven upon.

Quote from: Rothman on August 08, 2021, 12:56:30 PMSo, this hasn't been a lifelong pursuit and, in fact, it is more of a silly one that really isn't a top priority.  But, travel to sightsee, in general, has been.

For me, it's more of an excuse to deviate a little from travel that gets a little routine. I don't get to do that much sightseeing, mostly a lot of flying and driving in between work and play. One advantage I have is that my work is essentially random, so I'm afforded lots of chances at variety, but less so an opportunity to deviate much from work conditions and restrictions (for example, driving huge distances over several days, let alone choosing my exact destinations).

Rothman

Quote from: formulanone on August 08, 2021, 02:08:01 PM
This knocks me down to 265, to be picky.

I have driven about 0.2 of a mile of Alabama's SR 265 in Beatrice, but that was mostly to get a photo of the reassurance sign, turn around somewhere safely, and then a shot of the END assembly, but not crossing over any routes of significance...as per Travel Mapping.

I've driven on I-265 in Kentucky (is concurrent with 841), Indiana's SR 265 (concurrent with SR 62), California's 265 (concurrent with Business I-5 in Weed), and only 0.2 mile of Tennessee's SR 265, the concurrent section with SR 109 near I-840. Not aware of any others I've travelled upon for number 265.

I actually touched NY 265 at a roadgeek meet when we went to Love Canal and saw the Thunderbirds...

dlsterner

Counting concurrencies, my lowest number not travelled is 135  (It will be 142 after next week's planned trip).

I did find a few cases where my only use of a number has been on a concurrency with another route (mileage approximate):

-  DE 18  -  Only the 10 mile segment concurrent with DE 404 (Bridgeville - Georgetown DE)
-  NC 111  -  Only the 3 mile segment concurrent with US 13 and US 70 (Goldsboro NC)
-  PA 116  -  Only the ¼ mile segment concurrent with US 30 (Gettysburg PA)
-  ME 127  -  Only the ¼ mile segment concurrent with US 1 (Bath ME)
-  VA 134  -  Only the 1 mile segment concurrent with I-64 (Hampton VA)

None of these were planned; they were just fallout from normal travel.

To answer the OP's question, my answer would be 18.

IM(NS)HO, I was on a non-zero length segment of these signed routes.  Therefore, they still count.  My lowest number remains 135.

Rothman

Quote from: dlsterner on August 08, 2021, 05:34:23 PM
Counting concurrencies, my lowest number not travelled is 135  (It will be 142 after next week's planned trip).

I did find a few cases where my only use of a number has been on a concurrency with another route (mileage approximate):

-  DE 18  -  Only the 10 mile segment concurrent with DE 404 (Bridgeville - Georgetown DE)
-  NC 111  -  Only the 3 mile segment concurrent with US 13 and US 70 (Goldsboro NC)
-  PA 116  -  Only the ¼ mile segment concurrent with US 30 (Gettysburg PA)
-  ME 127  -  Only the ¼ mile segment concurrent with US 1 (Bath ME)
-  VA 134  -  Only the 1 mile segment concurrent with I-64 (Hampton VA)

None of these were planned; they were just fallout from normal travel.

To answer the OP's question, my answer would be 18.

IM(NS)HO, I was on a non-zero length segment of these signed routes.  Therefore, they still count.  My lowest number remains 135.

Ok.  I'll update your number to 18 in the main thread.

Scott5114

Quote from: SkyPesos on August 08, 2021, 12:30:52 PM

I haven't taken advantage of concurrencies for the sake of the other thread–concurrencies just happen, especially in Oklahoma, which rarely has routes meet as a perfect cross. Usually, there will be a dogleg concurrency of a mile or two.

In any case, while I could theoretically plot a course that hit as many concurrencies as possible for the sake of getting Oscar, I haven't needed to–on both trips where I intentionally increased my standing on the other thread, I fully clinched the target routes (OK-38 and OK-84). In fact, in both cases, there was no way to get them as a concurrency, because their only highway junctions were at their termini.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.