News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US 35 in West Virginia

Started by hbelkins, October 20, 2013, 04:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryctor2018

2DI's traveled: 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20, 24, 30, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 44, 45, 49, 55, 57, 59, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 85, 87, 88, 90, 93, 94, 95, 96

SP Cook

Just got back from the opening ceremony.  Typical political stuff, governor, both senators, the congresswoman, fed and state bureaucrats.  The project manager (who is a friend of mine and is retiring next week) got a flag and a scroll.   The bands from the two high schools involved (Winfield and Point Pleasant).  Some Veteran's Day acknowledgement.  Took about 40 minutes. 

Ceremony was at the Plantation Road at-grade crossing, which is about 2 miles north of the former south end.  Probably about 200 folks there, many band parents. 

Waited around another 40 and was allowed to follow the governor and the cop cars up to the north end and then turn around and come back.  Road, all asphalt, is in perfect shape, for now.  Only a couple of minor at grade intersections, and a few driveway permit connections to private land.   

They really are not quite done.  The southbound lanes will open for real later today.  This will allow the final work to remove the weird connection to the old road at the former north end, which should be done by the end of next week,   

To answer the signage question, northbound the exit is signed "WV 817 - WV 62 -Buffalo - Eleanor"  southbound is simply WV 62 - Buffalo - Eleanor"  No use of the word "TO" and no mention of the bridge's route number.  Also no signage for the Toyota plant, which you can get a view of southbound about a mile north of the exit.  If you take exit signage points you to "WV 62".   There is some reworking of the interchange between the old US 35 (now WV 817), the access road to the ramps, and the bridge, but that will probably be done next spring. 

hbelkins

Thought about going, since I was off today, but didn't. Probably too big of a crowd for my liking. I know the WSAZ reporter and saw her preview earlier today; she was a frequent contact as she just started there a few months ago, transferring from WYMT in Hazard.

Still hopeful to drive it in a few weeks.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

Apple Maps shows the new road (though they also retained the US-35 shield on the old road as well). Google Maps doesn't as of this writing.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: SP Cook on November 11, 2021, 02:17:55 PM
To answer the signage question, northbound the exit is signed "WV 817 - WV 62 -Buffalo - Eleanor"  southbound is simply WV 62 - Buffalo - Eleanor"  No use of the word "TO" and no mention of the bridge's route number.  Also no signage for the Toyota plant, which you can get a view of southbound about a mile north of the exit.  If you take exit signage points you to "WV 62".   There is some reworking of the interchange between the old US 35 (now WV 817), the access road to the ramps, and the bridge, but that will probably be done next spring.

Thank you for the info.  This will allow me to get the update for TM done in the next 24h.

1995hoo

I note the speed limit on US-35 once you cross the river into Ohio is 70 mph and in West Virginia it's been 65 on previously-existing the four-lane portions. Is there any possibility West Virginia might raise it to 70, or is the combination of it being a non-Interstate and having a few at-grade intersections enough for West Virginia to keep it at 65? I don't know what West Virginia law is nor whether their DOT has a specific policy on that sort of thing.

wriddle082

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 12, 2021, 09:43:17 AM
I note the speed limit on US-35 once you cross the river into Ohio is 70 mph and in West Virginia it's been 65 on previously-existing the four-lane portions. Is there any possibility West Virginia might raise it to 70, or is the combination of it being a non-Interstate and having a few at-grade intersections enough for West Virginia to keep it at 65? I don't know what West Virginia law is nor whether their DOT has a specific policy on that sort of thing.

I'm pretty sure it's a full freeway after you cross into Ohio, hence the 70 limit.  But at some point NW of Rio Grande it starts having at-grade intersections so I'm thinking it slows down.

SP Cook

Quote from: wriddle082 on November 12, 2021, 10:17:18 AM

I'm pretty sure it's a full freeway after you cross into Ohio, hence the 70 limit.  But at some point NW of Rio Grande it starts having at-grade intersections so I'm thinking it slows down.

It is.  Oddly the section in question, Gallipolis to Rio Grande, has been down to a single lane with orange barrels and a 55 SL all summer and fall, despite no apparent work being done, nor needed.

As to WV policy, the Code of State Rules adopts the MUTCD, but this is ignored and no proper traffic studies have been done in decades.  Obviously the SL on the interstates should be at least 80 in most rural areas, and the other four lanes should be raised as well. 

hbelkins

It will be interesting to see how West Virginia's updated county maps for the county in question -- Putnam or Mason, I can't remember for sure -- mark the connector route from the new four-lane to the Buffalo bridge.

I drove from Jackson to Teays Valley on US 35 back in the spring. The non-freeway portions in Ohio had speed limits lower than 70, but I can't remember if they were signed 65, 60, or 55.

sprjus4

Quote from: hbelkins on November 12, 2021, 11:46:44 AM
I drove from Jackson to Teays Valley on US 35 back in the spring. The non-freeway portions in Ohio had speed limits lower than 70, but I can't remember if they were signed 65, 60, or 55.
I believe the arterial segments are posted at 60 mph, with 70 mph on the full freeway sections.

The four lane highways are capped at 65 mph in West Virginia. There was originally a provision to permit 70 mph on them when the interstate speed limit was bumped to 75 mph, though it was removed from the final version of the bill due to safety concerns.

SkyPesos

Quote from: hbelkins on November 12, 2021, 11:46:44 AM
It will be interesting to see how West Virginia's updated county maps for the county in question -- Putnam or Mason, I can't remember for sure -- mark the connector route from the new four-lane to the Buffalo bridge.

It's 60 mph, at least on the expressway section I drove on last summer between OH 32 and the WV border.

1995hoo

Quote from: wriddle082 on November 12, 2021, 10:17:18 AM

Right, I didn't mean to imply it stays 70 mph all the way through Ohio. I recall it dropping to 60 at some point, though I don't recall the speed limits for the entire segment from the state line up to I-675 near Dayton (which is the part I travelled in October 2020).

For what it's worth, though, in Ohio at-grade intersections don't automatically disqualify a road from being posted at 70 mph. US-30 is an excellent example, although to be fair that road is a lot flatter and more wide-open than West Virginia's portion of US-35.

I was simply asking whether there's any possibility of West Virginia posting 70 mph on that road. Based on the various replies, it sounds like it's either unlikely or not permitted.

sprjus4

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 12, 2021, 11:59:19 AM
For what it's worth, though, in Ohio at-grade intersections don't automatically disqualify a road from being posted at 70 mph. US-30 is an excellent example, although to be fair that road is a lot flatter and more wide-open than West Virginia's portion of US-35.
IIRC, ODOT has said they wouldn't post higher than 60 mph on four lane divided highways that don't have limited access.

US-30 has at-grade intersections, though it's limited access throughout. However, there is the counter example being the western part of US-30 towards Indiana that has private driveways and holds 70 mph, so who knows.

That stretch of US-35 should realistically at least be 65 mph.

SkyPesos

Quote from: sprjus4 on November 12, 2021, 12:01:58 PM
IIRC, ODOT has said they wouldn't post higher than 60 mph on four lane divided highways that don't have limited access.

US-30 has at-grade intersections, though it's limited access throughout. However, there is the counter example being the western part of US-30 towards Indiana that has private driveways and holds 70 mph, so who knows.

That stretch of US-35 should realistically at least be 65 mph.
Not just that. Most of OH 32 is 60 mph too, when it realistically could be at least 65.

seicer

Ohio is all over the place with no consistency. 55 to 70 MPH along US 52 between Portsmouth and Chesapeake despite it all being limited access, with and without interchanges and no private driveway access. OH 32 being entirely 60 MPH except for its westernmost segment despite it having a low AADT and widely spaced intersections and interchanges - especially in comparison to US 35 which is signed for 70 MPH in stretches although it has driveway connections.

West Virginia has been pretty uniform, on the other hand, with its speed limits. 65 MPH on four-lane corridor routes and on four-lanes with limited access; 70 MPH on interstates. 55 MPH elsewhere.

sprjus4

Quote from: seicer on November 12, 2021, 12:41:25 PM
OH 32 being entirely 60 MPH except for its westernmost segment despite it having a low AADT and widely spaced intersections and interchanges - especially in comparison to US 35 which is signed for 70 MPH in stretches although it has driveway connections.
I could be wrong, but I don't believe any stretch of US-35 with at grade connections is posted above 60 mph.

SkyPesos

Quote from: seicer on November 12, 2021, 12:41:25 PM
OH 32 being entirely 60 MPH except for its westernmost segment despite it having a low AADT and widely spaced intersections and interchanges
Regarding the westernmost segment, you'll be lucky to go above 55 mph (posted speed limit) in some places, at least until ODOT removes all traffic lights between I-275 and Batavia.

SP Cook

Quote from: sprjus4 on November 12, 2021, 11:53:59 AM

The four lane highways are capped at 65 mph in West Virginia. There was originally a provision to permit 70 mph on them when the interstate speed limit was bumped to 75 mph, though it was removed from the final version of the bill due to safety concerns.

Actually, no "bill" sets any maximum SL for such roads in WV.  Rather, WVC 17C-6-1, states:

(d) The speed limit on controlled access highways and interstate highways, where no special hazard exists that requires a lower speed, shall be not less than fifty-five miles per hour and the speed limits specified in subsection (b) of this section do not apply.

While WVC 17C-6-2 states that:

Whenever the state road commissioner shall determine upon the basis of an engineering and traffic investigation that any speed limit set forth in this article is greater or less than is reasonable or safe under the conditions found to exist at any intersection or other place or upon any part of a highway, said commissioner may determine and declare a reasonable and safe speed limit thereat which shall be effective at all times or during hours of daylight or darkness or at such other times as may be determined when appropriate signs giving notice thereof are erected at such intersection or other place or part of the highway.

Bitmapped

Quote from: SkyPesos on November 12, 2021, 12:19:12 PM
Not just that. Most of OH 32 is 60 mph too, when it realistically could be at least 65.
I can't speak to the whole thing, but I know that at least portions of the OH 32 where I've seen plans showed a 100 km/h design speed which is about 62mph. I'd love to see a 65mph speed limit, but I don't know that ODOT's going to do that given the design speed.

I was simply asking whether there's any possibility of West Virginia posting 70 mph on that road. Based on the various replies, it sounds like it's either unlikely or not permitted.
There is no possibility. Nothing legally forbids it but WVDOH does not sign any road with at-grade intersections higher than 65mph.

sprjus4

Quote from: Bitmapped on November 12, 2021, 06:59:08 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on November 12, 2021, 12:19:12 PM
I can't speak to the whole thing, but I know that at least portions of the OH 32 where I've seen plans showed a 100 km/h design speed which is about 62mph. I'd love to see a 65mph speed limit, but I don't know that ODOT's going to do that given the design speed.
The design speed could be some arbitrary number set by engineers when designing the road, but if the ground reality is that the roadway can safely handle 65 mph or 70 mph, that should be the speed limit.

2trailertrucker

I just took my first drive (south to north) on the new section.

AWESOME!

The asphalt had on one or two rough transitions from asphalt to bridge. The ride was smooth,as well as minimal steep grades. They are still finishing up the north end transition, but that was not a problem at 5:30 am.

Nice job by the contractors!

SP Cook

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 11, 2021, 07:36:10 PM
Apple Maps shows the new road (though they also retained the US-35 shield on the old road as well). Google Maps doesn't as of this writing.

Google has screwed up royally. It now shows the old US 35 as being "closed"  and the new road not at all.  Current "scoreboard"  signs on I-64 and US 35 now read "GPS NAV ERROR US 35 and WV 817 ARE OEPN" .  Using it to create a route will detour motorists, depending on their settings, to things like the AA, or Corridor B - Portsmouth Bypass.

hbelkins

Quote from: SP Cook on November 16, 2021, 10:47:08 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on November 11, 2021, 07:36:10 PM

Google has screwed up royally. It now shows the old US 35 as being "closed"  and the new road not at all.  Current "scoreboard"  signs on I-64 and US 35 now read "GPS NAV ERROR US 35 and WV 817 ARE OEPN" .  Using it to create a route will detour motorists, depending on their settings, to things like the AA, or Corridor B - Portsmouth Bypass.

Seems to be a common occurrence. There's a lengthy work zone on I-24 in western Kentucky where one whole side of the route is closed and two-way traffic is being run on one carriageway. Google/Waze was reporting a complete closure of one direction of I-24, and at least two trucks followed online mapping services and used a small, narrow road with some sharp turns as an alternate route. One truck got stuck negotiating a turn and another overturned, causing major problems.

Tom958

Quote from: SP Cook on November 16, 2021, 10:47:08 AMGoogle has screwed up royally. It now shows the old US 35 as being "closed"  and the new road not at all.  Current "scoreboard"  signs on I-64 and US 35 now read "GPS NAV ERROR US 35 and WV 817 ARE OEPN" .  Using it to create a route will detour motorists, depending on their settings, to things like the AA, or Corridor B - Portsmouth Bypass.

I asked Waze for directions from my location near Atlanta to Henderson, WV, and it said," Can't find a route. It looks like there's no way to drive there. Try a nearby location." So I did, and same for Point Pleasant.  :clap:

hbelkins

Quote from: Tom958 on November 17, 2021, 04:19:17 AM
Quote from: SP Cook on November 16, 2021, 10:47:08 AMGoogle has screwed up royally. It now shows the old US 35 as being "closed"  and the new road not at all.  Current "scoreboard"  signs on I-64 and US 35 now read "GPS NAV ERROR US 35 and WV 817 ARE OEPN" .  Using it to create a route will detour motorists, depending on their settings, to things like the AA, or Corridor B - Portsmouth Bypass.

I asked Waze for directions from my location near Atlanta to Henderson, WV, and it said," Can't find a route. It looks like there's no way to drive there. Try a nearby location." So I did, and same for Point Pleasant.  :clap:

Try Gallipolis and see what happens.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.