News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Corridors that reqiure exiting and reentering the Interstate system

Started by Alps, January 22, 2013, 11:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on January 23, 2013, 08:56:01 PM
Quote from: jwolfer on January 23, 2013, 04:00:02 PM
here is an infamous one... Jacksonville to Tampa via US 301 instead of I-75 to I-10... But with more development and the speed traps in Lawtey and Waldo less and less long distance travelers use 301

I've never been to or through Waldo, but I know it's an infamous speed trap.

Which begs two questions. Why don't people either...

1.) buy a radar detector, or
2.) observe the speed limit in this known speedtrap area?

Well, then you have entire large cities (District of Columbia and Baltimore) that are speed traps (or want to be speed traps) with automated enforcement devices.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Duke87

Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 01, 2013, 08:39:36 AM
Well, then you have entire large cities (District of Columbia and Baltimore) that are speed traps (or want to be speed traps) with automated enforcement devices.

Except that cameras:
1) do not put points on your license
2) have locations and tolerances which stay the same and can be known
3) at least in Maryland's case give you a much smaller fine than being pulled over does
4) do not give you the emotional trauma of having sirens blared at you and then having to speak with a police officer

I'll take a city with speed cameras over a town with redneck cops pulling people over any day.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

roadman65

Quote from: Duke87 on December 01, 2013, 11:01:11 AM

I'll take a city with speed cameras over a town with redneck cops pulling people over any day.

Ditto on that!  Only on that one, too, as I think, otherwise, that cameras are overrated.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

thenetwork

I-75 from just below Toledo to Flint, Michigan and points north -- US-23 is the preferred route, cutting out the Detroit Metro Area, and is 23 all freeway,  This should be designated an I-x75 (I-875).

roadman65

Quote from: thenetwork on December 01, 2013, 11:23:42 AM
I-75 from just below Toledo to Flint, Michigan and points north -- US-23 is the preferred route, cutting out the Detroit Metro Area, and is 23 all freeway,  This should be designated an I-x75 (I-875).
Then we lose out on a good US route, though.  Michigan is a lot like California and likes to decommission routes.  Examples of this are US 25 and US 27.  If they did that US 23 would end in Toledo and north of Flint US 23 would become M23 more than likely.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

JREwing78

MDOT would also have to spend money it doesn't have upgrading US-23 to interstate-standard (insufficient overpass heights, substandard entrance and exit ramps).

bulldog1979

If things were connected properly on the Flint end, and there are discussions to that effect, it could be an extended and merged I-475. The segment of I-475 between US 23 and I-75 in the Toledo area would need to be renumbered though.

CentralCAroadgeek

What about Las Vegas to Central California and the Bay Area? From I-15, you'd have to take CA-58 to reach CA-99 and probably a couple more state highways (such as CA-46) to reach I-5.

thenetwork

Quote from: roadman65 on December 01, 2013, 11:32:30 AM
Then we lose out on a good US route, though.  Michigan is a lot like California and likes to decommission routes.  Examples of this are US 25 and US 27.  If they did that US 23 would end in Toledo and north of Flint US 23 would become M23 more than likely.

While a radical change, I would route US-23 over the remaining US-223 alignment in Michigan, then have US-23 replace US-127 North of Jackson.  Then I would revive US-25 along the eastern side of Michigan beginning in Detroit, replacing M-3 to Port Huron, replacing M-25 around the thumb, replacing M-13 from Bay City to Standish, then replacing the "old US-23" alignment from Standish to Mackinaw. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.