News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

When the sign builder couldn't come through on time ...

Started by jnewkirk77, December 19, 2014, 01:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jnewkirk77

... At least they came up with something to help motorists on the new US 60 on Owensboro's east side find the hospital. Even if it does look goofy!

http://surfky.com/index.php/news/local/daviess/55892-daviess-county-traffic-advisory

I don't think this is the only backordered sign, though. Some along the expressway have been replaced, but most of the new posts along the "old bypass" have been waiting empty since the summer of '13.

jeffandnicole

Zeffy

Quote from: jnewkirk77 on December 19, 2014, 01:44:50 PM
... At least they came up with something to help motorists on the new US 60 on Owensboro's east side find the hospital. Even if it does look goofy!

http://surfky.com/index.php/news/local/daviess/55892-daviess-county-traffic-advisory

I don't think this is the only backordered sign, though. Some along the expressway have been replaced, but most of the new posts along the "old bypass" have been waiting empty since the summer of '13.

That's just fucking repulsive. Temporary or not, that would make me cringe every time I see it.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Big John

xcellntbuy

Pete from Boston

roadman

Quote from: Pete from Boston on December 19, 2014, 06:22:43 PM

Quote from: xcellntbuy on December 19, 2014, 04:57:10 PM
Quote from: Big John on December 19, 2014, 02:30:51 PM
Or, let a tractor trailer take it out.

At which point it'll need a replacement, which will still be on back-order...
Depending upon the insurance company that handles the claim, and Ohio's rules for accident recovery, it may be necessary for the new sign to be fabricated EXACTLY like the current one, bad lettering and all.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

hbelkins

Owensboro is west of me. So is Oklahoma. This looks like it belongs in Oklahoma.

We've had a few laughs about this on Facebook, especially since I know Mr. Todd personally and work with him and he's a friend of mine. Usually in cases like this, KYTC will have its district sign shop make a smaller sign and post it until the contractor-installed guide sign goes up. This stop-gap sign has garnered a few laughs. And while I'm usually pretty quick to post sign goofs from Kentucky, I said I wouldn't put this in the "Worst of..." thread since it's just temporary.

This is made possible with demountable copy, which Kentucky still uses.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jnewkirk77

Quote from: hbelkins on December 19, 2014, 07:17:34 PM
Owensboro is west of me. So is Oklahoma. This looks like it belongs in Oklahoma.

We've had a few laughs about this on Facebook, especially since I know Mr. Todd personally and work with him and he's a friend of mine. Usually in cases like this, KYTC will have its district sign shop make a smaller sign and post it until the contractor-installed guide sign goes up. This stop-gap sign has garnered a few laughs. And while I'm usually pretty quick to post sign goofs from Kentucky, I said I wouldn't put this in the "Worst of..." thread since it's just temporary.

This is made possible with demountable copy, which Kentucky still uses.

The funny part, I guess, is that this is the second temporary effort at this location. The first was just a couple of blue strips as a background with a blue "H" sign and cobbled "Exit 19" ... Bad, yes, but workable. If only they'd left it at that!

Tom958

Is the hospital it refers to the one in Idiocracy:-D

Gnutella

That sign is awesome. Is it located in Craig County?

WillWeaverRVA

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

GCrites

lEAve $5,000 iN A bAg In ThE aLLey BEHinD tHE oLd THEatRE oR THE sigN GEts iT! no CoPS!

rte66man

Cheap shot.  We may not be able to spell (trarfic anyone?) but that mixture of letters is WAY worse than any OK signage.

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

jnewkirk77

I guess there's nothing like a little humiliation to get action: The sign was replaced yesterday. Between the rain and pre-Christmas traffic, I couldn't get a pic, but it is an improvement.

thenetwork

A sign like that makes you wonder what the level of service is like there...

codyg1985

Quote from: jnewkirk77 on December 24, 2014, 10:06:06 AM
I guess there's nothing like a little humiliation to get action: The sign was replaced yesterday. Between the rain and pre-Christmas traffic, I couldn't get a pic, but it is an improvement.

Was it a permanent sign, or one of the smaller KYTC sign-shop made signs?
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

roadman65

That sign, I must say, is the most disgraceful sign ever!  Like any road sign, it represents the image of the Commonwealth of Kentucky.  Showing that should be an embarrassment to everyone in the state government.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Scott5114

Quote from: rte66man on December 23, 2014, 10:02:11 PM

Cheap shot.  We may not be able to spell (trarfic anyone?) but that mixture of letters is WAY worse than any OK signage.

rte66man

They're really about the same, except KYTC acknowledges that their sign is goofy and it's only temporary. Oklahoma posted this permanently.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

iBallasticwolf2

Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

Thing 342

Sykotyk

It looks like a sign for a mental hospital and made by the patients.

Buck87

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.