News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Ohio

Started by iBallasticwolf2, August 29, 2015, 08:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot Rod Hootenanny

An article out of C-bus that is not paywalled...
https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2021/09/24/future-central-ohio-highway-projects.html
(list of projects that ODOT has promised money for, around Central Ohio, for the next couple of years)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

SkyPesos

^ Nice to see that the I-71 and Big Walnut Rd interchange is pretty much confirmed now.

vtk

It's paywalled for me... :confused:
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Buck87

PurdueBill

It is maddening that there are districts that are putting up new exit numbers that are county mileage.  It should be a statewide uniform thing at this point.
The newly rebuilt WB side of US 30 in Mansfield has mileage exit numbers that thankfully are the mileage to the Indiana line, as they should be.
https://goo.gl/maps/PHw4X4hoy3BkgWq76
I wonder if they will add numbers to the many exits east and west of there over time; there is no reason not to at least over time.  They would have to make sure to do them uniformly with the whole state mileage, not county mileage, though.

I-55

Quote from: PurdueBill on October 18, 2021, 10:58:01 AM
It is maddening that there are districts that are putting up new exit numbers that are county mileage.  It should be a statewide uniform thing at this point.
The newly rebuilt WB side of US 30 in Mansfield has mileage exit numbers that thankfully are the mileage to the Indiana line, as they should be.
I wonder if they will add numbers to the many exits east and west of there over time; there is no reason not to at least over time.  They would have to make sure to do them uniformly with the whole state mileage, not county mileage, though.

What's even worse is that some roads (notably the Appalachian Hwy) have both state based exits AND county based exits along the route. You can look at OH-32 at the Wellston exit for county mileage while in Athens it's state mileage (granted it's US-33's mileage).
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

okroads

Quote from: I-55 on October 20, 2021, 12:03:56 AM
Quote from: PurdueBill on October 18, 2021, 10:58:01 AM

What's even worse is that some roads (notably the Appalachian Hwy) have both state based exits AND county based exits along the route. You can look at OH-32 at the Wellston exit for county mileage while in Athens it's state mileage (granted it's US-33's mileage).

Athens exit numbers were county mile marker based until 2019, when signs were replaced and exit numbers updated to reflect state mileage.

roadman65

Was I-75 originally four lanes where the Arlington Heights  neighborhood sits in the middle of the split freeway?  I was often wondering why the freeway splits there like I-24 in Monteagle Grade.  However that was done later as the WB freeway there was built from expansion of a four lane US 41 & 64 with EB being built for trucker safety years later.

I assume one carriage way predates the other one and no ROW to expand.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SkyPesos

Quote from: roadman65 on November 10, 2021, 09:56:26 AM
Was I-75 originally four lanes where the Arlington Heights  neighborhood sits in the middle of the split freeway?  I was often wondering why the freeway splits there like I-24 in Monteagle Grade.  However that was done later as the WB freeway there was built from expansion of a four lane US 41 & 64 with EB being built for trucker safety years later.

There is a plan to remove that split. I mentioned it 2 months ago in the other Ohio thread:
Quote from: SkyPesos on September 19, 2021, 12:44:16 AM
I was digging through some ODOT files today, and found that there was a recent (from a year ago) alternative study for the NB I-75 alignment between the OH 126 (exit 10) and Shepherd (exit 13) interchanges. This alternative study would relocate NB I-75 to where the current SB alignment is, and remove the existing NB alignment, while still widening both directions to 4 lanes each. It would also include a new NB exit as a split diamond to Lock Street and Wyoming Ave. The SB side may also have this split diamond, though it's more difficult with development nearby, and a new interchange to Millsdale to the south of the current interchange may be considered instead. Regardless, the current substandard SB interchange to Cooper Ave is planned to be removed. The decision on whether to use this alternative alignment or keep the current alignment with the split will be made in November of this year. Apparently, it's cheaper than keeping NB I-75 where it currently is, and widening it, and will make the geometry of the planned WB 126 to NB 75 ramp more smooth.

Link the the study: https://www.dot.state.oh.us/projects/files/I-75%20Thru%20the%20Valley%20-%20Alternate%20Feasibility%20Report%20(July%202020).pdf
Small update from the above: https://www.dot.state.oh.us/projects/files/I-75%20Thru%20the%20Valley%20-%20Study%20Update%20(April%202021).pdf

frankenroad

Quote from: roadman65 on November 10, 2021, 09:56:26 AM

That is correct.  What today are three southbound lanes, used to be two southbound and two northbound lanes, dating  back to the late 1940s or early 50s.  When lanes were added in 1967, the current northbound lanes were built where they are due to ROW availability.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

Buck87

Quote from: Buck87 on September 10, 2020, 10:00:26 AM
Quote from: thenetwork on September 09, 2020, 01:06:18 AM

Plus one of the nation's biggest dragstrips sits at that intersection as well -- Norwalk Raceway Park. 

Which is now called Summit Motorsports Park. That's actually at the intersection of OH 18 and OH 601, but a lot of traffic to it uses the 20/601 intersection. There's also an R&L Carriers distribution center across from the dragstrip that generates a lot of truck traffic on 601.

Quote from: zzcarp on September 09, 2020, 04:49:31 PM

I grew up not far from there and commuted daily through that intersection for years. We even lost one of my high school classmates due to an accident there. I don't know that the roundabout will fix things, and with heavy trucks going all four directions through that roundabout, it seems like that will be functionally worse.

Since you're familiar with the area, I'll mention that the bar on the corner, the Gulf Inn, will be bought by the state an torn down as part of this project.

So I just heard the other day that the Gulf Inn (NE corner of the intersection) is actually not being torn down, and that they found a way to install the roundabout while leaving it intact. The intersection has been closed for the construction for over a month now and should be open soon. It'll be interesting to see how they fit it in (maybe shifted it to the west a bit?)

zzcarp

Quote from: Buck87 on November 11, 2021, 09:31:46 AM
So I just heard the other day that the Gulf Inn (NE corner of the intersection) is actually not being torn down, and that they found a way to install the roundabout while leaving it intact. The intersection has been closed for the construction for over a month now and should be open soon. It'll be interesting to see how they fit it in (maybe shifted it to the west a bit?)

Interestingly enough, a friend shared a local's public Facebook post with six pictures of the paving of the new roundabout. I've managed to embed them here.

This is looking west across the roundabout. The West US 20 and North and South OH 601 directional signs are clearly visible. The Gulf Inn is in the lower right. It appears they relocated the powerlines nearly directly over the eaves of the building.

This picture looks north with NB OH 601 on the left. The Gulf Inn appears to have access from a new paved frontage road to the east and a gravel driveway to OH 601 on the west. Again, the north-south powerlines also cross the eaves of the bar.

Looking west with the west half of the roundabout. It also appears the bridge over the creek was either expanded or totally reconstructed to accommodate the widening.

A top-down picture of the roundabout with north to the top. Apparently only the northbound OH 601 movement through the roundabout gets the additional concrete berming for trucks that cannot make the turning radius. The other radii must be sufficient to keep the truck's wheels on the asphalt pavement.

A closer look at the paving on the east side of the roundabout. EB US 20 is to the right.

Looking east on US 20, and the new frontage road servicing the Gulf Inn is on the left and rejoins 20 near where the concrete median ends.
So many miles and so many roads

Buck87

Thanks for the pics!

This roundabout is now open, I actually drove through it last night, though it was after dark so I didn't get the best view.

OH 601 is part of the route NASA uses to transport test articles from Mansfield Lahm Airport to Plum Brook Station Neil A. Armstrong Test Facility south of Sandusky. That is presumably the reason why this roundabout's center has an extra wide concrete berm for the 601 north movement.

Here's an example of what needs to be able to navigate across there:
(this is the Orion space capsule, which did testing in Ohio 2 years ago, and is slated to launch around the Moon on the un-crewed Artemis I mission in February)

westerninterloper

Quote from: Buck87 on November 14, 2021, 10:13:26 AM
OH 601 is part of the route NASA uses to transport test articles from Mansfield Lahm Airport to Plum Brook Station Neil A. Armstrong Test Facility south of Sandusky. That is presumably the reason why this roundabout's center has an extra wide concrete berm for the 601 north movement.

That's very interesting - I was wondering why the roundabout was designed that way. Thank you for sharing!
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

GCrites

"See, the humans' circle monolith's unusual design is due to its proximity to a facility of their space program" - Martians

The Ghostbuster

Is Ohio taking a leaf from Wisconsin's book and embarking on a similar roundabout-building binge?

SkyPesos

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 15, 2021, 12:03:28 PM
Is Ohio taking a leaf from Wisconsin's book and embarking on a similar roundabout-building binge?
Seems like it. See US 22/3 and OH 126, trumpet interchange recently converted into a roundabout.

frankenroad

Quote from: SkyPesos on November 15, 2021, 01:59:41 PM
Seems like it. See US 22/3 and OH 126, trumpet interchange recently converted into a roundabout.

Blue Ash already has a couple - and they are building 2 more on Hunt Road, one at Plainfield, and one in front of Kroger.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Buck87

I'm pretty sure this one at US 20 and OH 601 is the first roundabout in Huron County.

As for others in this area:

Erie County has one at the intersection of Bogart Rd and Campbell St in Perkins Township.
Sandusky County has one on US 6/OH 53 at the entrance to Terra State Community College on the west side of Fremont.

and there are a couple proposed on OH 53 in Ottawa County:
https://www.transportation.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/odot/projects/projects/110859

SkyPesos

Quote from: frankenroad on November 15, 2021, 03:52:54 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on November 15, 2021, 01:59:41 PM

Blue Ash already has a couple - and they are building 2 more on Hunt Road, one at Plainfield, and one in front of Kroger.
Looking at the rendering of the Hunt-Plainfield roundabout, I'm not sure if turning one of the busiest intersections in Blue Ash to a roundabout would be a good idea. Start off by making the left turn green from NB Plainfield to WB Hunt longer. Every time I've driven in this intersection, I had to wait 2 cycles of green arrows before making my turn (for how short each one is, only allowing 3 cars or so to turn).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mmbtbCT-54

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I thought it was a national trend, over the last decade.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

seicer

A new roundabout will be built soon at the foot of the westbound ramps for US 52 and OH 93 in Ironton. It has a high crash rate and will be part of improvements to make the interchange more pedestrian friendly.

SkyPesos

Looks like I-71 exit 19 is under construction again... Kind of wondering how they'll even fit a direct SB Mason Montgomery to SB 71 ramp, as there's too many businesses in the area where it would go.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: seicer on November 16, 2021, 10:14:18 AM
A new roundabout will be built soon at the foot of the westbound ramps for US 52 and OH 93 in Ironton. It has a high crash rate and will be part of improvements to make the interchange more pedestrian friendly.

Here's a map of the interchange: https://www.google.com/maps/@38.5388416,-82.6769382,15.5z

The westbound ramps are both the cloverleaf-like arching ramps that meet at a surface intersection along Ohio 93.
I'm surprised they're putting a roundabout here, instead of converting one of the ramps to a diamond-type ramp, so you get half of a folded diamond on the north side of US52.  That's what they ACTUALLY need to do there.  The current configuration puts a weaving problem on the overpass, as offramp traffic crosses the same space as the onramp traffic.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

frankenroad

Quote from: SkyPesos on November 18, 2021, 03:01:36 PM
Looks like I-71 exit 19 is under construction again... Kind of wondering how they'll even fit a direct SB Mason Montgomery to SB 71 ramp, as there's too many businesses in the area where it would go.

I could not figure out how that picture relates to I-71 at Fields Ertel.   I think it is actually a picture of I-270 looking westbound at US-23 in Worthington.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.