Condition of US 35 from Dayton to WV border

Started by aae991, December 14, 2018, 09:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aae991

I'll be traveling soon in my 40' RV from northern Illinois through Indiana, then Ohio towards Raleigh NC. One route suggested includes I-70 eastbound from Indianapolis to US 35 in Ohio and then down to Charleston WV. Does anyone have any thoughts on the road surface of US 35 in Ohio? I'm already bypassing I-65 in Indiana due to the horrible condition of the surface and the rough ride it gives. Another option is going through Cincinnati via I-74 to I-75 and down to Knoxville.

Thanks for any help with these options and the ride quality (or lack thereof) I can expect.

Buck87

I was on that entire section last month, and I don't really remember anything jumping out to me as far as the surface quality goes.

Most of it is 70 mph freeway, with some 60 mph expressway sections, plus one brief area that has a few traffic lights between Beavercreek and Xenia.

aae991

Quote from: Buck87 on December 14, 2018, 10:00:20 PM
I was on that entire section last month, and I don't really remember anything jumping out to me as far as the surface quality goes.

Most of it is 70 mph freeway, with some 60 mph expressway sections, plus one brief area that has a few traffic lights between Beavercreek and Xenia.

That's good to know. Thanks for the report.

hbelkins

You do realize that there is a short (10 or so miles) section of US 35 in West Virginia that is two lanes and not four, right?

Avoid I-75 in Kentucky if possible. The section north of the KY 330 exit is in terrible shape, with potholes aplenty. KYTC has been trying to do some patching, but the weather is not cooperating.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

dfilpus

Quote from: hbelkins on December 15, 2018, 02:18:49 PM
You do realize that there is a short (10 or so miles) section of US 35 in West Virginia that is two lanes and not four, right?
Since US 35 in WV is a truck thoroughfare and has become more so since the new four lane sections have been built, the two lane sections have deteriorated. I've stopped using US 35 to get from Charleston WV to Columbus OH and have switched to US 33.

ysuindy

I made the trip from Indy to Winston Salem in September. I remember no issues with the condition of the road. The two lane stretch in West Virginia was flatter and straighter than I would've expected, although consistent with what I found from street view before I left. 

Beltway

Quote from: dfilpus on December 15, 2018, 03:39:56 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on December 15, 2018, 02:18:49 PM
Since US 35 in WV is a truck thoroughfare and has become more so since the new four lane sections have been built, the two lane sections have deteriorated. I've stopped using US 35 to get from Charleston WV to Columbus OH and have switched to US 33.

US-35 is on the preferred route between Richmond and Norfolk, and Chicago and beyond.

Good route with generally modest traffic on US-35 in Ohio.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

2trailertrucker

My $.02 worth:

From I-70, take I-75 south to US 35 in Dayton. Do not take the US 35 exit as you enter Ohio at exit 3.

aae991

Thanks everyone for your responses. I will adjust my route based on the reports you've given me.

aae991

Quote from: 2trailertrucker on December 18, 2018, 12:32:10 AM
My $.02 worth:

From I-70, take I-75 south to US 35 in Dayton. Do not take the US 35 exit as you enter Ohio at exit 3.

Will do - thanks for the tip.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.