News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-569 coming to Kentucky

Started by hbelkins, December 18, 2019, 03:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

The section of the Western Kentucky Parkway between the Pennyrile (I-69) and the Natcher (I-165) is going to be designated as I-569. (Link)

Not sure why they don't extend this all the way to I-65.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

silverback1065

Quote from: hbelkins on December 18, 2019, 03:35:59 PM
The section of the Western Kentucky Parkway between the Pennyrile (I-69) and the Natcher (I-165) is going to be designated as I-569. (Link)

Not sure why they don't extend this all the way to I-65.
interesting, Does Kentucky plan on turning all of their parkways into interstates?

LM117

Quote from: hbelkins on December 18, 2019, 03:35:59 PMNot sure why they don't extend this all the way to I-65.

Because it makes too much sense for those that pushed for this. Any money spent on I-569 signs would be wasted unless it extends to I-65, IMO.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Revive 755

Or they could just sign it as I-66 to I-165  :spin:

tidecat

Make it I-769 instead so you don't have a 569/65 junction.
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

ilpt4u

Could just make it I-71...(I do not take credit for this idea...have read it on the forums here, probably Fictional)

Interstate 69 Fan

Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

Verlanka

mrose

With 65, 69, 165, 169, 369, 569 all in close proximity I could see some confusion there.

I always thought a 2di might work there especially if they wanted to finish the gap in the Blue Grass and put it on that. Lots of free numbers on that part of the grid.

Henry

Oh well, there goes that I-60 idea, right out the window!

Quote from: Revive 755 on December 18, 2019, 10:53:42 PM
Or they could just sign it as I-66 to I-165  :spin:

IIRC, the Cumberland and Hal Rogers Parkways were once proposed as I-66; of course, that one is now dead.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

SP Cook

Never did like use of names by Kentucky.  Hard to put on maps, paper or electronic.   While coming up with a dozen 3di numbers is overdoing it, they all should just pick up the number of the nearest US or state route.

hbelkins

I advocated for the entire WK-BG corridor to become I-58 years ago on MTR.

Two things I thought about later concerning this. Because this will connect two interstates, I-69 and the newly-minted I-165, it should have an even first number instead of an odd first number. This should be I-269 instead of I-569. And, I wonder if this route becoming an interstate will endanger the travel plaza located in the median at Beaver Dam? I know these are not allowed on free interstates, only toll roads. Would it be grandfathered in? It was closed for awhile and public outcry hastened its reopening.

PastTense

Wouldn't the highway have to be substantially upgraded to meet Interstate standards?

seicer

^ I thought that was the reason there would be no interstate designation for the eastern portion of the WK Parkway near Elizabethtown. The medians are basically raised curbs that are mountable.

LM117

I'm just wondering if KYTC will sign I-569 as a N/S route, even though it clearly goes E/W.

After all, according to NCDOT, all 3-dis whose parents are N/S interstates MUST be signed N/S, even when the road clearly goes E/W (their logic for I-587 :banghead:).
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

vdeane

Quote from: PastTense on December 19, 2019, 12:20:26 PM
Wouldn't the highway have to be substantially upgraded to meet Interstate standards?
The other ones needed some upgrades.  Now that you mention it, I wonder if that's part of the reason for only going to I-165.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

FightingIrish

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 19, 2019, 12:16:07 AM
Could just make it I-71...(I do not take credit for this idea...have read it on the forums here, probably Fictional)
That makes way too much sense. Would have been perfect as part of the I-71 corridor. But I'm guessing that designating part of it as I-569 was the very quick way to do it, and obviously McConnell is cynically trying to make it appear as if he's actually lifting a finger to help his state in an election year. I-569 looks pretty pointless in its proposed state. It's just cheap pork.

Alex

Quote from: Verlanka on December 19, 2019, 05:14:46 AM
Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on December 19, 2019, 01:15:01 AM
Wasn't this I-369?
No, that would be the Audubon Parkway.

I had the same question when HB posted about it on FB. It was previously referenced as Interstate 369, but I guess that number was never made formal. I typed up a page for it nonetheless on interstate-guide (guess I'll be amending that).

This also reminds me how the Natcher Parkway was previously referenced as future Interstate 565, but ultimately designated as I-165.

Legislation Introduced to Designate I-369 Spur in Muhl., Ohio Counties

QuoteWESTERN KENTUCKY (4/3/19) – U.S. Rep. James Comer and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell today introduced companion legislation to begin the process of designating a section of the Wendell H. Ford Western Kentucky Parkway in Muhlenberg and Ohio counties as a spur of Interstate 69 (I-369).

Why not all the way to Lexington. It's a metro area and ends at US 60 a 4 lane that is probably an NHS  route?
It must be the road is not up to Interstate standard east of 165?

bandit957

I think the Louie B. Nunn Parkway should be made an Interstate. Somerset is not that small of a town for being in such an otherwise rural area. Isn't that parkway up to Interstate standards already?
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: SP Cook on December 19, 2019, 11:48:11 AMNever did like use of names by Kentucky.

I was OK with parkway names until KY decided to change most of them.  If drivers are going to be confused, they might as well go ahead with a bunch of similar-sounding highway numbers.

Life in Paradise

Is Kentucky still thinking about putting a loop or spur in Western KY to include Murray, KY?  If so, that would take another number off the list.

hbelkins

Quote from: seicer on December 19, 2019, 12:29:23 PM
^ I thought that was the reason there would be no interstate designation for the eastern portion of the WK Parkway near Elizabethtown. The medians are basically raised curbs that are mountable.

That has mostly been converted to a level or recessed median as pavement rehab projects have been done over the years. I noted that years ago, but can't recall seeing many places where that old median is left the way it was. I'd have to take a tour via the KYTC photolog to confirm, though.

Quote from: Life in Paradise on December 21, 2019, 02:06:26 PM
Is Kentucky still thinking about putting a loop or spur in Western KY to include Murray, KY?  If so, that would take another number off the list.

That would be news to me. although improvements to US 641 and the completion of the KY 80 corridor from Mayfield to Murray should eliminate the need for an interstate.

Quote from: Alex on December 20, 2019, 02:17:29 PM
Quote from: Verlanka on December 19, 2019, 05:14:46 AM
Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on December 19, 2019, 01:15:01 AM
Wasn't this I-369?
No, that would be the Audubon Parkway.

I had the same question when HB posted about it on FB. It was previously referenced as Interstate 369, but I guess that number was never made formal. I typed up a page for it nonetheless on interstate-guide (guess I'll be amending that).

This also reminds me how the Natcher Parkway was previously referenced as future Interstate 565, but ultimately designated as I-165.

Legislation Introduced to Designate I-369 Spur in Muhl., Ohio Counties

QuoteWESTERN KENTUCKY (4/3/19) – U.S. Rep. James Comer and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell today introduced companion legislation to begin the process of designating a section of the Wendell H. Ford Western Kentucky Parkway in Muhlenberg and Ohio counties as a spur of Interstate 69 (I-369).

The "Future I-69 Spur" signs have been gone from the Audubon for several years. I can't get a good answer from anyone as to why.

GCrites

Of course they had to sneak "Open for Business" in there.

vdeane

So... is this portion of the Western Kentucky Parkway going to be I-569 or I-369?  There have been articles alleging both now.  If it's going to be I-369, the thread title should probably be updated.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.