News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Evansville: US 41 truss bridge closed "indefinitely" after truck hit

Started by jnewkirk77, February 07, 2020, 10:33:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Life in Paradise

Quote from: Georgia on December 01, 2020, 06:21:41 PM
what is it going to be replaced with? something similar to the northbound side i presume?
it was sad driving past it Sunday morning and seeing all the members bent like they were.

One would guess that they would go with a bridge like the northbound and thus no overhead beams.

US71

what is it going to be replaced with? something similar to the northbound side i presume?
it was sad driving past it Sunday morning and seeing all the members bent like they were. 

Probably what's commonly known as UCEB : Ugly Concrete Eyesore Bridge
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hotdogPi

Quote from: US71 on December 02, 2020, 02:06:16 PM

Probably what's commonly known as UCEB : Ugly Concrete Eyesore Bridge

University of Central Evansville Basketball
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

EngineerTM

Quote from: Life in Paradise on December 02, 2020, 12:38:24 PM

One would guess that they would go with a bridge like the northbound and thus no overhead beams.

Current plans under development are for a three-span bridge with a standard concrete deck supported on prestressed concrete bulb-tee beams.  The end abutments will be integral so as to eliminate any joints for improved durability.  The adjoining northbound bridge is of an older vintage and uses steel plate girders.  But you are correct that there will not be any overhead framing members.

edwaleni

I wouldn't be shocked if the span ends up in Delphi, Indiana and reassembled there.

For those unaware, the Wabash & Erie Canal Park there has been collecting old truss spans from across the state, rehabbing them and reassembling them for use.

Their recycling of a Pennsylvania Truss and putting it over the US-24 freeway was pretty darn cool.

https://wabashanderiecanal.org/wabash-erie-canal-historic-bridges-delphi-in/

hbelkins

Quote from: edwaleni on December 02, 2020, 11:19:43 PM
I wouldn't be shocked if the span ends up in Delphi, Indiana and reassembled there.

For those unaware, the Wabash & Erie Canal Park there has been collecting old truss spans from across the state, rehabbing them and reassembling them for use.

Their recycling of a Pennsylvania Truss and putting it over the US-24 freeway was pretty darn cool.

https://wabashanderiecanal.org/wabash-erie-canal-historic-bridges-delphi-in/

We're getting ready to give away an old pony truss bridge on a county road in Perry County that's set to be replaced under the Bridging Kentucky program. The ads and press release aren't done yet, but will be at some point in the future. If anyone has the ear of the parks board, they might want to let them know when the historic bridge relocation goes public.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Crash_It

Truckers are always doing irresponsible shit for the sake of their "hot loads" and it causes damage to our roads and bridges. Same thing happened in Long Grove , IL when a trucker damaged a recently repaired covered bridge all because he wanted to disobey a no trucks sign.

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: Crash_It on February 07, 2021, 05:41:49 AM
Truckers are always doing irresponsible shit for the sake of their "hot loads" and it causes damage to our roads and bridges. Same thing happened in Long Grove , IL when a trucker damaged a recently repaired covered bridge all because he wanted to disobey a no trucks sign.

We'll in this case he not only took out the bridge, he may have destroyed an irreplaceable historic artifact

US71

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on February 07, 2021, 08:31:41 PM
Quote from: Crash_It on February 07, 2021, 05:41:49 AM

We'll in this case he not only took out the bridge, he may have destroyed an irreplaceable historic artifact

The insurance will pay for it  /sarc
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

In_Correct

They crash into them on purpose often in attempt to deliberately get rid of The Truss Bridges.

Perhaps The Truss Bridges can be relocated.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

evvroads

Looks like they're getting ready to start this replacement project. As part of the project, INDOT is also going to completely reconstruct the pavement from Morgan Ave/SR 62 to Lynch Rd. They will bring in a bunch of dirt to raise the level of the southbound lanes to match those of the northbound lanes before dismantling and completely replacing the southbound bridge. Work is scheduled to begin Thursday according to the article.

https://www.14news.com/2021/06/07/indot-closing-nb-lane-41-between-morgan-lynch/

https://www.14news.com/2021/06/20/work-expected-start-us-41-evansville-this-week/

Scott5114

Quote from: In_Correct on June 05, 2021, 02:18:20 AM
They crash into them on purpose often in attempt to deliberately get rid of The Truss Bridges.

Perhaps The Truss Bridges can be relocated.

The thought that a truck driver would intentionally cause tens of thousands of dollars of property damage to their employer's truck, almost certainly be fired, and possibly lose their CDL and be forced to find an entirely new career, just to deliberately force the replacement of a bridge they don't like, is utterly ludicrous.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Life in Paradise

Quote from: evvroads on June 22, 2021, 05:28:14 PM
Looks like they're getting ready to start this replacement project. As part of the project, INDOT is also going to completely reconstruct the pavement from Morgan Ave/SR 62 to Lynch Rd. They will bring in a bunch of dirt to raise the level of the southbound lanes to match those of the northbound lanes before dismantling and completely replacing the southbound bridge. Work is scheduled to begin Thursday according to the article.

https://www.14news.com/2021/06/07/indot-closing-nb-lane-41-between-morgan-lynch/

https://www.14news.com/2021/06/20/work-expected-start-us-41-evansville-this-week/
Would have been nice for them to have used this opportunity to widen the road to three lanes from Lynch Road to Morgan, at least for the northbound traffic.  That has been a pinch for merging north bound traffic at times.  At one point a few decades ago, making US41 six lanes through Evansville (beyond what already is) was in the plan, and then I-164 (what is now I-69) developed as the future through route.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/dt3dCFiEJk2XRDxW8

See GSV shows the bridge on the latest update being worked on.

Edit that was the 2019 rehab that is seen.  However the bridge must look the same.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

evvroads

Quote from: roadman65 on June 23, 2021, 01:12:14 PM
https://goo.gl/maps/dt3dCFiEJk2XRDxW8

See GSV shows the bridge on the latest update being worked on.

Edit that was the 2019 rehab that is seen.  However the bridge must look the same.

The bridge looks the same in the sense that the truss bridge is still there. The covering was removed after it was painted in 2019. In the collision, every single overhead cross beam was very visibly bent to the south. Over a foot (maybe two or more) in some cases. That caused many/all of the attached vertical support members to bow inward and fracture. It's 100% beyond saving and not going to be repaired.

Looking south from the bridge.

I did my best to take this picture looking nearly straight up. I was a foot or two to the right of the vertical support, so not directly beneath the cross beam.

Looking north/northwest from the bridge. Here you can see the fracture in the vertical support. You can somewhat see the next three supports to the north are damaged in the same area.

roadman65

From what I heard the vehicle watchdog in the front alerted the driver of the semi to use another route, but the driver ignored him.  Now a freshly renovated bridge is ruined and tax dollars that could be spent elsewhere have to be used to remove and build another replacement. 

I meet these truck drivers everyday at work and many drive the roads for a living and no nothing about them.  Many lack common sense when they come to a toll booth and complain "I didn't  expect to be on a toll road"  or " Why so much for the toll?"   Then one ignored a truck route sign in Auburndale, FL and drove the narrow route with tight curves and turns with his big semi.

Now DC has another driver who destroyed a pedestrian overpass.  These semi drivers need to get with it.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

Quote from: roadman65 on June 23, 2021, 10:26:47 PM
From what I heard the vehicle watchdog in the front alerted the driver of the semi to use another route, but the driver ignored him.  Now a freshly renovated bridge is ruined and tax dollars that could be spent elsewhere have to be used to remove and build another replacement. 

Tax dollars? Won't there be a claim against the trucker's insurance?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Life in Paradise

Quote from: hbelkins on June 24, 2021, 12:42:23 PM

Yes, there would be a claim against the trucking company with their insurance company paying, but based upon my experience the insurance policy would be insufficient in paying for the full cost of the bridge removal and replacement.

Scott5114

Quote from: Life in Paradise on June 24, 2021, 12:58:33 PM

Yes, there would be a claim against the trucking company with their insurance company paying, but based upon my experience the insurance policy would be insufficient in paying for the full cost of the bridge removal and replacement.

And the state could sue the company or the driver for the rest...but if they win, what trucking company or driver has a few million in assets sitting around to pay for a new bridge?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

abqtraveler

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 25, 2021, 01:51:36 AM
Quote from: Life in Paradise on June 24, 2021, 12:58:33 PM

And the state could sue the company or the driver for the rest...but if they win, what trucking company or driver has a few million in assets sitting around to pay for a new bridge?
After the lawyers get their payout, there won't be much left for a new bridge.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

edwaleni

As for the lawsuit and compensation, it will be split apart across the various insurance entities, usually on levels of responsibility

- The drivers CDL insurance (if they have any, most rely on the trucking firm to carry a policy.)
- The trucking firms insurance (their truck was the one that drove through)
- The guide service insurance (doesn't matter that they called it out and the driver ignored it)
- The cargo's insurance (since it struck the bridge and they engaged the shipper to handle it))
- The shippers insurance (since they booked this trucking firm to ship it)

Most drivers worth their salt actually have measuring sticks to check their "real" height regardless of what a guide driver says.

Most guide services review the route with the driver before they leave, and they confirm the height to make sure the route is valid.

Now I am not picking on truck drivers or trucking firms, but there has been an acute shortage of truck drivers for several years.

The ones that do get their CDL are sometimes english challenged. Illinois had the one bribery problem with the DMV but it is not clear how widespread that is.

Recent accidents of trucks, especially in bad weather, have shown that the drivers were marginal in skill or barely understood many of the safety regs around the use of their rigs.

The story of a truck driver who attempted to drive his rig across a pony truss from 1902 becuase he thought it was a shortcut was a good example.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.