News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What states use the blue pentagon shield for county roads?

Started by KCRoadFan, September 05, 2020, 11:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: KCRoadFan on September 05, 2020, 11:51:31 PM
Kansas (Douglas and Leavenworth, for sure; don't know about other counties)

FYI...

Harvey CH-801
Rawlins CH-417
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US71

Arkansas is on a county by county basis.

Washington County

Conway County

Benton County
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

Quote from: webny99 on September 06, 2020, 11:12:57 AM
New York (some counties)

That's accurate.
To my knowledge, there are no counties in New York that use any other county route signage besides the blue pentagon. It's either the blue pentagon, or unsigned.

Orange County has used a county outline marker.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

^ Pretty sure one of the Adirondack/North Country counties also used a white-on-green square at some point in the past 15 years.  Recall seeing it along NY 3.

vdeane

Quote from: froggie on October 28, 2020, 12:54:40 PM
^ Pretty sure one of the Adirondack/North Country counties also used a white-on-green square at some point in the past 15 years.  Recall seeing it along NY 3.
That would be Franklin.  They have since switched to the blue pentagon.

Ulster also used an outline shield at one time, quite a few of which are still around.  Erie also had their own shield back when their routes were still signed.  And there's Nassau which had blue and orange pentagons back when they were signed.

There are also counties which to this day sign the number on street blades (most notably Ontario, since that's all they sign them as) but not with shields.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cpzilliacus

Maryland expressly forbids use of the county road pentagon sign in the MUTCD supplement. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

CapeCodder

I've seen them in Scott County in Missouri. Pemiscot County uses the county outline as its shield.

capt.ron

I was just thinking about the MUTCD blue pentagon shield for county roads, with regards to which states use it, and how common or widespread they are within that state. Here is a list of states that I know use the pentagon shield at least to some extent - at least, I'm pretty confident about that:

Alabama
Arkansas
California (some counties)
Colorado (some counties)
Florida
Illinois (a couple counties in the Chicago suburbs; not sure about downstate)
Iowa
Michigan (some counties)
Minnesota
Missouri (rare, but I have seen them on occasion)
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York (some counties)
Wyoming

I'm pretty sure I got those right. Anyway, have you seen the county road pentagons used in any other states aside from the ones I mentioned above?

I know that some states sign county roads differently (the circles for "fraction roads" in WV, for example, or the white squares for lettered "county trunk" highways in Wisconsin), while some other states instead have "secondary" state-maintained roads that serve a function roughly equivalent to that of county roads (states such as MT, NC, PA, TN, and VA come to mind in that regard).
I've seen a few in Arkansas but the county where I live, (White), they don't use the blue pentagon. I've been through Alabama via US 72 and ALT 72 and the blue pentagon is a dime a dozen.

Bitmapped

Some counties in Ohio use it, but it's all over the board. I'd say more Ohio counties probably use a black-on-white square than the pentagon, and some use markers of their own design.

BluesHighway

We can add North Dakota to the list. Minnesota also changes the color of the number from yellow to white

Avalanchez71

Quote from: capt.ron on December 01, 2020, 07:28:34 PM
I was just thinking about the MUTCD blue pentagon shield for county roads, with regards to which states use it, and how common or widespread they are within that state. Here is a list of states that I know use the pentagon shield at least to some extent - at least, I'm pretty confident about that:

Alabama
Arkansas
California (some counties)
Colorado (some counties)
Florida
Illinois (a couple counties in the Chicago suburbs; not sure about downstate)
Iowa
Michigan (some counties)
Minnesota
Missouri (rare, but I have seen them on occasion)
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York (some counties)
Wyoming

I'm pretty sure I got those right. Anyway, have you seen the county road pentagons used in any other states aside from the ones I mentioned above?

I know that some states sign county roads differently (the circles for "fraction roads" in WV, for example, or the white squares for lettered "county trunk" highways in Wisconsin), while some other states instead have "secondary" state-maintained roads that serve a function roughly equivalent to that of county roads (states such as MT, NC, PA, TN, and VA come to mind in that regard).
I've seen a few in Arkansas but the county where I live, (White), they don't use the blue pentagon. I've been through Alabama via US 72 and ALT 72 and the blue pentagon is a dime a dozen.

Tennessee but very few and rare.  I last saw some in McMinn and Polk counties.  I think I saw a couple in Meigs County as well.

FrCorySticha

For most of the state, Montana doesn't use the blue shield for county roads. Most county roads are unnumbered, at least as marked, but Dawson County in SE Montana does use the blue pentagons. Not sure if there are any other counties with them.

rarnold

TheGrassGuy

If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

froggie

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on December 07, 2020, 07:39:53 AM
Do all the counties listed here use blue pentagons?

No.  I know Carver County still uses the white square only.  Last time I was through there (admittedly several years ago), Lake of the Woods County was the same way.  Several counties on that list use a mix of white square and blue pentagon.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on December 07, 2020, 07:39:53 AM
Do all the counties listed here use blue pentagons?

It's very much incomplete but here's a rough outline and discussion of Minnesota county practices.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=24755.msg2406032#msg2406032
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

DandyDan

Quote from: BluesHighway on December 04, 2020, 07:36:38 PM
We can add North Dakota to the list. Minnesota also changes the color of the number from yellow to white
I've seen some that are yellow and some that are white in Minnesota.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: DandyDan on December 08, 2020, 04:41:53 PM
Quote from: BluesHighway on December 04, 2020, 07:36:38 PM
I've seen some that are yellow and some that are white in Minnesota.

Some older pentagons are yellow. All the new ones I've seen are white.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

froggie

MnDOT standard is yellow writing and a white numeral, and has been such since at least 2013.  Pentagons with yellow numerals are either older signs, error signs, or put up by counties that did not use state aid funds for the project.

BigRTM

Florida loves them. They seem to have more of these than current state routes (The county roads here are usually old state roads).

mgk920

I'm pretty certain that there are none here in Wisconsin.

:nod:

Mike

KCRoadFan

Quote from: mgk920 on December 09, 2020, 04:17:48 PM
I'm pretty certain that there are none here in Wisconsin.

:nod:

Mike

In Wisconsin, they use letters instead of numbers, and mark them with white squares.

Just like we do here in Missouri...except the letter roads in MO are actually state roads.

froggie

I wouldn't call Wisconsin's county trunk marker a "white square".  It's a rectangle and does not follow the typical county route marker format.

kphoger

Wisconsin uses a white rectangle inside a black square.

Missouri uses a black-bordered white square for single letters or black-bordered white rectangles for double letters.

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: BigRTM on December 08, 2020, 11:39:23 PM
Florida loves them. They seem to have more of these than current state routes (The county roads here are usually old state roads).

Nah. NJ and NY are probably the two most pentagon-crazy states in the nation.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.