Regional Boards > Mid-Atlantic

Loudoun County's Ambitious Highway Plans

(1/10) > >>

kernals12:
If you look at the 2019 Loudon County transportation plan, there's a lot to get excited about.

-US 50 east of Northstar Boulevard will become a freeway
- Another freeway, called US 50 alternate, will be built closer to Dulles Airport
- All of the Leesburg Bypass will become a freeway
- The Loudoun County Parkway will become a freeway from US 50 to Old Ox Road, and if there is sufficient traffic, so will all of 606 with no less than 8 lanes

And that's not counting all widenings.

Jmiles32:
Here's something you might enjoy: https://www.loudoun.gov/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/8975

It's an update on a bunch of what Loudoun is currently eyeing transportation wise (with a big notable exception being the US-15 plans) Definitely a fun county for road geeks. However, I would nevertheless not expect any of the projects you've listed to be built anytime soon. While there was recent funding awarded for "US-50 alternate", I do not believe that this will be built as a four-lane freeway, at least not yet. Regarding building interchanges on actual US-50, while Loudoun appears to want to do this, there is currently no funding for it. The future interchange with the Loudoun County Parkway (the 1st priority) alone is projected to cost around $500 million which is insane. Still though, what they're doing now (mostly widenings and missing road connections via proffers, county funding, NVTA funding, etc) is still considerably more than other localities in the state.

kernals12:

--- Quote from: Jmiles32 on November 23, 2020, 06:11:53 PM ---Here's something you might enjoy: https://www.loudoun.gov/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/8975

It's an update on a bunch of what Loudoun is currently eyeing transportation wise (with a big notable exception being the US-15 plans) Definitely a fun county for road geeks. However, I would nevertheless not expect any of the projects you've listed to be built anytime soon. While there was recent funding awarded for "US-50 alternate", I do not believe that this will be built as a four-lane freeway, at least not yet. Regarding building interchanges on actual US-50, while Loudoun appears to want to do this, there is currently no funding for it. The future interchange with the Loudoun County Parkway (the 1st priority) alone is projected to cost around $500 million which is insane. Still though, what they're doing now (mostly widenings and missing road connections via proffers, county funding, NVTA funding, etc) is still considerably more than other localities in the state.

--- End quote ---

How is that possible? Unless they're making it a full blown stack, it should cost about $100 million max.

Jmiles32:

--- Quote from: kernals12 on November 23, 2020, 06:31:29 PM ---
--- Quote from: Jmiles32 on November 23, 2020, 06:11:53 PM ---Here's something you might enjoy: https://www.loudoun.gov/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/8975

--- End quote ---

How is that possible? Unless they're making it a full blown stack, it should cost about $100 million max.

--- End quote ---

I have no idea and agree but this what it says regarding that particular project:

--- Quote ---Loudoun County Pkwy / Rt 50 Future Grade-Separated
Interchange: Currently LCP and Rt 50 cross at a signalized
intersection; however, the Board's long term plan is to upgrade
the intersection to a full grade separated interchange. The
interchange project was included as a new project in last years
adopted Capital Improvement Plan (CIP) with anticipated funding in
"future years" (more than 6 six years into the future). As this project is
anticipated to cost approximately $500 million to complete, future
Board's will need to seek significant state and federal funding
assistance. Based on the current status and tremendous cost of this
project, Supervisor Letourneau and I believe it will take at least 10
years, if not more, until construction is able to begin.

--- End quote ---

Hopefully, both the $500 million price tag and 10 years away estimate are wrong but we'll see.

Dirt Roads:

--- End quote ---

Anybody remember the old "Don't Fairfax Loudoun" bumper stickers from the 1980s?  Traffic was already bad in all parts of eastern Loudoun when I moved south some 20 years ago.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version