News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

A Little US-50 History in Southern Illinois -- Interesting Article

Started by roadgeek, February 04, 2009, 10:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Life in Paradise

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 14, 2021, 11:13:47 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on March 14, 2021, 01:57:57 PM
Quote from: 3467 on March 14, 2021, 11:48:08 AM
I should add that long before the supplemental freeway system Illinois was working on the 50 corridor and in basically the same location 64 was proposed.
Sometimes I wonder if it would not have been better for I-64 to have taken the US 50/IL and US 150/IN route between St Louis and Louisville, as originally proposed. Of course, had it taken that route, better chances I-24 between Marion and St Louis (at least the Metro East/I-255) would have been built

I still like the one BGS in E St Louis that gives EB I-64 the control of Salem...what could have been...
If I-64 used US 50/US 150 in Indiana, I have a feeling that US 50 between the eastern 50/150 split and the I-275 interchange in Lawrenceburg would be at least a 4 lane expressway. Without an expressway US 50 between those two points, the I-64 routing wouldn't be as competitive in terms of time to the northern I-70/74 routing between St Louis and Cincy.

But with the roads they are today, I think IN 46 between I-69 in Bloomington and I-74 in Greensburg need an upgrade more than US 50 in Indiana, possibly even further west to Terre Haute. Columbus and Bloomington are larger cities than whatever is on US 50.
I wouldn't be against that idea, except that improving IN 46 from Bloomington to Columbus would be like pounding sand.  It was hard enough to get I-69 around Bloomington; you would be taking on the Nashville, IN community for IN 46.

Kniwt

I think IN 46 between I-69 in Bloomington and I-74 in Greensburg need an upgrade more than US 50 in Indiana, possibly even further west to Terre Haute.

I last drove IN 46 from TH to Bloomington in the Before Times, but I definitely noticed an increase in truck traffic. The hills around Spencer desperately need more climbing lanes in addition to the old old one near McCormick's Creek -- not just to get around trucks, but all the locals driving their 1959 Ramblers at 32mph. :)

The alignment through the hills just isn't very good, mostly the original lines. But I agree: Getting any meaningful improvements in the rural areas seems next to impossible now. (Ellettsville to Bloomington is nice now, but that mostly serves commuters.)

edwaleni

Quote from: Kniwt on March 21, 2021, 12:45:45 PM
I think IN 46 between I-69 in Bloomington and I-74 in Greensburg need an upgrade more than US 50 in Indiana, possibly even further west to Terre Haute.

I last drove IN 46 from TH to Bloomington in the Before Times, but I definitely noticed an increase in truck traffic. The hills around Spencer desperately need more climbing lanes in addition to the old old one near McCormick's Creek -- not just to get around trucks, but all the locals driving their 1959 Ramblers at 32mph. :)

The alignment through the hills just isn't very good, mostly the original lines. But I agree: Getting any meaningful improvements in the rural areas seems next to impossible now. (Ellettsville to Bloomington is nice now, but that mostly serves commuters.)

I like that road out of Spencer. Take my motorcycle out and romp on that baby on early Sunday mornings. It's a hoot!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.