News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Classes of "Clinching"

Started by AlexandriaVA, August 17, 2022, 12:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: US 89 on August 19, 2022, 01:10:36 PM
Quote from: Rothman on August 19, 2022, 01:03:00 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on August 19, 2022, 01:01:35 PM
Quote from: webny99 on August 18, 2022, 07:23:46 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 18, 2022, 07:17:48 PM
Quote from: Rothman on August 18, 2022, 06:51:01 PM
Quote from: flan on August 18, 2022, 06:28:19 PM
Hypothetical: a state highway has a brief concurrency with an Interstate highway. I've driven the concurrent section and the sections of the state highway on either side of the concurrency individually at three different times. Does it count as a composite clinch even though I used none of the on/offramps that would be required to drive the whole state highway in one go?

Is what I wrote even intelligible?   :)
1) No

Why not? Although I can't say I've run into this situation personally. I'm not sure the ramps I'm assuming you insist must be driven are technically part of the route, but it depends on the situation. A diamond interchange in the country where a route leaves an interstate is different from a major city interchange.

If I'm understanding correctly, the state route follows the interstate ramps, so the ramps are technically part of the continuous route.

Sometimes it doesn't though. I remember there was a thread discussing TOTSOs, and in Tennessee, I seem to recall, the official state route follows the centerline of one freeway and then turns immediately at the centerline of another freeway, and that none of the ramps you would actually take to get from one of the freeways to the other (and thus stay on the same route number) is technically part of the route itself.

That is the official route follows the blue line in the picture below and not any of the red lines:

I find that hard to believe and more because TN's got a lazy GPS coder.

Isn't the I-76/I-80 interchange in Ohio the same way?
I-76/I-80 has the toll ramp complication.  This TN sillyness is different.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

royo6022

Hypothetical: a state highway has a brief concurrency with an Interstate highway. I've driven the concurrent section and the sections of the state highway on either side of the concurrency individually at three different times. Does it count as a composite clinch even though I used none of the on/offramps that would be required to drive the whole state highway in one go?

1) No

Why not? Although I can't say I've run into this situation personally. I'm not sure the ramps I'm assuming you insist must be driven are technically part of the route, but it depends on the situation. A diamond interchange in the country where a route leaves an interstate is different from a major city interchange.

If I'm understanding correctly, the state route follows the interstate ramps, so the ramps are technically part of the continuous route.

Sometimes it doesn't though. I remember there was a thread discussing TOTSOs, and in Tennessee, I seem to recall, the official state route follows the centerline of one freeway and then turns immediately at the centerline of another freeway, and that none of the ramps you would actually take to get from one of the freeways to the other (and thus stay on the same route number) is technically part of the route itself.

That is the official route follows the blue line in the picture below and not any of the red lines:

What about rest area ramps for interstates? Do the ramps count as part of the route? It would seem rather redundant for them to count because then you're guaranteed to skip over the main section of the route between the entrance and exit ramps of the rest areas... so why wouldn't that also apply to ramps from the route you're clinching to other highways?
2d Interstates traveled: 4, 10, 15, 39, 40, 44, 57, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 74, 75, 76, 78, 79, 80, 81, 88, 90, 94, 95

Rothman

Quote from: royo6022 on August 19, 2022, 02:00:11 PM

1) No

What about rest area ramps for interstates? Do the ramps count as part of the route? It would seem rather redundant for them to count because then you're guaranteed to skip over the main section of the route between the entrance and exit ramps of the rest areas... so why wouldn't that also apply to ramps from the route you're clinching to other highways?

No.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

1) No

Hell, Colorado's got some US route that does that at an overpass where there aren't even any ramps.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vdeane

NY is an interesting case.  Looking at the mile markers for I-87, Northway mile 0 is at the overpass over I-90, not on any of the ramps.  That said, the GIS files do indeed have I-87 on the ramps.  Also, this used to be a cloverleaf, so the mile marker would have been accurate for I-87 taking the ramps back then (northbound would use a loop).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.