News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Wyomingroutes.org facelift and update

Started by corco, August 01, 2010, 11:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corco

The other day, as I went to publish some fresh highway photo pages, my database up and crashed on me. As a result, I had to reconfigure the way I manage the data on my site, which wasn't supported by the old layout, so I've spent the last two days rebuilding my site. For comparison, my old Washington site is located here, and that uses the old layout and internal data structure (something I'm going to fix).

On the end user end, that should mean a faster website (the database queries that generate the pages are a lot smoother now), but the other intent was to make the purpose of the site clearer. In the past, it looked like a blog, and the casual user who didn't bother to dig would have no idea there were 7000 (or some number like that) photos buried in the website. The website was not a blog (at one point that may have been the plan, but those days are long gone), but it acted like a blog. The intent here was to make that purpose clearer.

I'm not a web designer by any means, so I welcome any feedback on whether I succeeded and suggestions for improvement. It still takes two clicks to get to 99% of the content, but I'm hoping I made it more obvious that the clicks need to happen to get what needs to be got out of the website. If anybody has any ideas on how to reduce that down to one click (without having to rebuild the individual highway pages, which would take years), that'd be awesome.

On the roads front, I've got massive amounts of new content, including a bunch of stuff from the drive to and from the Tulsa meet and further Wyoming stuff. I'm almost done with Wyoming at this point, and plan on finishing the state highway system over Labor Day weekend.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.