Fresno Area Road Meet (May 6-7, 2023)

Started by Max Rockatansky, October 21, 2022, 10:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Given there has been enough interest expressed on the forum and elsewhere for a Fresno Area Road Meet I'm going to go ahead and make it official.  The Fresno Area Road Meet will take place on May 6-7, 2023.  Please reply to this thread if you are interested in this meet or are planning to attend. 

Finalized itinerary:

Introduction

Welcome to the 2023 Fresno Area Road Meet.  At a population of 542,107 residents the city of Fresno is the largest city in San Joaquin Valley and fifth largest in California.  Fresno is historically tied to the corridor of US Route 99 which is preserved today in California State Route 99 consisting of the longest non-Interstate freeway corridor in the country.  Day 1 of this tour will be centered on the Fresno area.  An emphasis has been placed on exploring the older corridors of US Route 99, many which will be razed soon to make way for the High Speed Rail.  Day 2 of the tour will consist of an at-your own pace tour of the Generals Highway which links Kings Canyon National Park to Sequoia National Park via a ridge of the Sierra Nevada Mountains.   

Day 1 Tour

The Day 1 Tour meetup location is the In-n-Out Burger off of Jensen Avenue at 2657 S 2nd Street, Fresno, CA.  The tour meetup will begin at 10 AM (the unposted opening time for In-n-Out Burger) and will depart at 11 AM.

Segment 1 Description:  The original alignment of US Route 99 followed Railroad Avenue northbound into Fresno where it would have crossed the Southern Pacific Railroad and Santa Fe Railroad via an at-grade crossing to the Cherry Avenue.  During the early 1930s US Route 99 was partially shifted off of Railroad Avenue onto a wider approach to the Cherry Avenue rail crossing via Church Avenue and D Street.  Items of interest on Segment 1 include:
-   The current Van Ness Arch can be seen at the intersection of Railroad Avenue and Van Ness Avenue.  The Van Ness Arch traditionally has served as the entrance to downtown Fresno.  The current Van Ness Arch was erected during 1929 and has an unclear future due to High Speed Rail construction.
-   At the north end of Railroad Avenue the Cherry Avenue rail crossing can be seen.  Cherry Avenue no longer is continuous and access is barricaded. 
Segment 1 Map Link:
2657 S 2nd St, Fresno, CA 93706 to 2100 S Railroad Ave, Fresno, CA 93721 - Google Maps

https://maps.app.goo.gl/iKuCJEAHZzH6dHYX6?g_st=ic

Segment 2 Description:  The next leg of the tour backtracks through the Van Ness Arch and follows the alignment of US Route 99 via Cherry Avenue and Broadway to the southern flank of Chukchansi Park.  Chukchansi Park severed the original alignment of US Route 99 on Broadway in downtown Fresno.  Items of interest on Segment 2 include:
-   At the corner of Cherry Avenue and Broadway there is an interesting site which contains the wreckage of two Fresno Traction Company streetcars.   In 1901 the three streetcar companies in Fresno consolidated and began operating electric lines beginning in 1903 as the Fresno Traction Company.  The Fresno Traction Company operated electric street car service until 1939 when the lines were converted to bus service. 
-   A short detour north of Broadway on Cherry Avenue to Los Angeles Street will take you to a Rio Grande Station constructed during 1938.
-   Broadway continues under the California State Route 41 freeway where the 1950 Monterey Street Overhead realignment of US Route 99 would have met it.  The Monterey Street Overhead has since been razed and has been replaced by the CA 41 freeway.
-   In the 1930s at the intersection of Broadway and Ventura Avenue, US Route 99 would have picked up CA 180 which multiplexed it to Fresno Street.  Broadway Street continued through downtown Fresno and would have picked up CA 41 from Fresno Street to Stanislaus Street.  Broadway can no longer can used as a through route between Inyo Street and Stanislaus Street as it has been sectioned up for downtown plazas and partially razed to make way for Chukchansi Park.   Chukchansi Park was completed in 2002 and was intended to be part of a revitalization project of downtown Fresno.
Segment 2 Map Link:
2100 S Railroad Ave, Fresno, CA 93721 to 798 Broadway St, Fresno, CA 93721 - Google Maps

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Riz3KmFRuPBrbzrt9?g_st=ic

Segment 3 Description:   Segment 3 will detour around the gap on Broadway along Fulton Street and back to the former alignment of US Route 99 towards the Belmont Traffic Circle via Broadway, Divisadero Street, H Street and Belmont Avenue.  Items of interest along Segment 3 include:
-   Fulton Street is historically considered to be Fresno's main street.  Fulton Street was converted into a pedestrian mall during 1964 and reopened to vehicular traffic during 2017.
-   The Belmont Subway is where US Route 99 crossed under the Southern Pacific Railroad.  If you look closely a stencil directing traffic onto northbound US Route 99 can still be observed.  The Belmont Subway is an endangered structure slated to be razed during construction of the High Speed Rail.
-   The Belmont Traffic Circle was the first such structure in California having been constructed during 1932.  The fate of the Belmont Traffic Circle is unclear given it may be razed during construction of the High Speed Rail.
Segment 3 Map Link:
798 Broadway Street, Fresno, CA to 498 N Wesley Ave, Fresno, CA 93728 - Google Maps

https://maps.app.goo.gl/o7UMqaVyUJuqGhRy5?g_st=ic

Segment 4 Description:   Segment 4 will follow the former alignment of US Route 99 on North Golden State Boulevard, the northbound lanes of CA 99 and back to a discontinuous segment North Golden State Boulevard towards Herndon Avenue.  The tour will detour to the original alignment of US Route 99 at Herndon siding via Herndon Avenue and Weber Avenue.  Items of interest along Segment 4 include:
-   The segment of North Golden State Boulevard immediately north of Belmont Traffic Circle is aligned past the eastern extent of Roeding Park.  Roeding Park is one of the largest urban parks in the Fresno area and is home to Fresno Chaffee Zoo.
-   The alignment of CA 99 between the discontinuous segments of North Golden State Boulevard was recently moved by Caltrans to make way for the High Speed Rail grade.  The grade of the High Speed Rail can be observed to the right of the northbound lanes of CA 99.
-   North Golden State Boulevard between Ashlan Avenue and Herndon Avenue is fated to be razed by construction of the High Speed Rail.  A new right-of-way for North Golden State Boulevard can be observed to the west of the current road alignment.  When this segment of North Golden State Boulevard is razed, much of the original alignment of US Route 99 in Fresno will be lost.
-   Originally US Route 99 crossed the San Joaquin River at Herndon siding.  This crossing required US Route 99 pass over the Southern Pacific Railroad at-grade twice.  The at-grade crossing can still be partially found if you look where North Golden State Boulevard aims towards Weber Avenue behind the Target store.
-   Weber Avenue north of Herndon Avenue carries the original alignment of US Route 99 towards the San Joaquin River.  The asphalt surface quickly gives way to vintage Portland Cement along Weber Avenue.  Weber Avenue ends at the foot of the San Joaquin River where the 1903 Herndon Bridge was located.  US Route 99 was realigned during 1929 onto the bridge which now carries northbound CA 99 over the San Joaquin River. 
Segment 4 Map Link:
498 N Wesley Ave, Fresno, CA 93728 to 7648 N Weber Ave, Fresno, CA 93722 - Google Maps

https://maps.app.goo.gl/36FFkF8SxcQPPSLw5?g_st=ic

Segment 5 Description:  Segment 5 begins with a return to North Golden State Boulevard and to CA 99 northbound alongside the San Joaquin River Viaduct of the High Speed Rail.  The tour will follow northbound CA 99 over the San Joaquin River via the 1929 era bridge (once part of US Route 99) towards the Midway Palm & Pine between Avenue 9 and Avenue 12.  From CA 99 Exit 151 the tour will follow Avenue 12 east, CA 41 north and Road 145 east to Friant Dam.  Items of interest along Segment 5 include:
-   The San Joaquin River Viaduct is a component of the first segment of the High Speed Rail being constructed in San Joaquin Valley.  The San Joaquin River Viaduct is easily observed from North Golden State Boulevard and the 1929 bridge carrying CA 99 over the San Joaquin River.
-   An abandoned segment of former US Route 99 can be easily observed pulling over at the off-ramp for Avenue 7 at Exit 144.
-   The Midway Palm & Pine can be observed in the median of CA 99 between Avenue 9 and Avenue 12.  It is unknown who planted the Palm & Pine but they are thought to symbolically represent the transition from Southern California to Northern California.  If you look closely the pine is actually a cedar tree.
-   Friant Dam was completed during 1942 and impounds the San Joaquin River to form Millerton Lake.  Millerton was the original Fresno County seat which was plotted near Fort Miller along the San Joaquin River.  Millerton was a major way-point along the 1850s era highway known as the Stockton-Los Angeles Road.  As development of San Joaquin Valley began following the construction of the Southern Pacific Railroad the population of Millerton began to decline.  During the 1870s Millerton lost the Fresno County seat to Fresno.  The Millerton Courthouse was preserved and can be visited above Friant Dam.
-   Downstream from Friant Dam the ruins of the 1906 North Fork Bridge can be observed in the San Joaquin River.  Following the destruction of the 1889 Lanes Bridge, the 1906 North Fork Bridge was pressed into duty and temporary CA 41 (until 1941).  The North Fork Bridge was destroyed by flooding during 1951 despite Friant Dam being present. 
Segment 5 Map Link:
7648 N Weber Ave, Fresno, CA 93722 to Friant Dam, Friant, CA - Google Maps

https://maps.app.goo.gl/13erJ3D435iASL176?g_st=ic

Segment 6 Description:  The Day 1 tour will end with a return to South Golden State Boulevard via Friant Road, the CA 41 freeway and Jensen Avenue.  The tour will continue south into the city of Fowler via South Golden State Boulevard to the vintage neon Fowler Sign which once graced US Route 99.  South Golden State Boulevard continues as an expressway through the cities of Selma and Kingsburg to the Kings River.  South Golden State Boulevard is an excellent corridor to explore you desire to see an additional portion of US Route 99.  Items of interest along Segment 6 include:
-   Friant Road is a Fresno County maintained expressway which follows the canyon cut by the San Joaquin River.  If desired the site of the 1889 Lanes Bridge and original alignment of CA 41 can be found by following Lanes Road via detour from Friant Road to the San Joaquin River.
-   The CA 41 freeway is the busiest limited access highway in Fresno with a peak AADT approaching 150,000 vehicles.  The skyline of downtown Fresno can be observed along CA 41 approaching the CA 99 interchange.
-   South Golden State Boulevard is one of the longest intact surface segments of former US Route 99.  Despite no longer being state maintained South Golden State Boulevard offers an expressway grade detour which can be fun to explore and offers a functional escape to traffic backups on CA 99. 
-   At Cedar Avenue another viaduct belonging to the High Speed Rail can be seen in the process of construction.  South of Fresno much of the alignment of the High Speed Rail follows that of the Santa Fe Railroad towards Bakersfield.
-   A detour onto north Clovis Avenue will take you to the relocated 1882 Fowler Railroad Depot building.  The 1882 Fowler Depot was moved from South Golden Boulevard and Merced Street in downtown Fowler to where it is presently located during the 1970s.
-   The Fowler Sign as noted above is a vintage neon sign which dates back to the heyday of US Route 99.

Segment 6 Map Link:
Friant Dam, Friant Dam, Friant, CA to 6754 Golden State Blvd, Fowler, CA 93625 - Google Maps

https://maps.app.goo.gl/H2VwH58Zy3XQSs1V6?g_st=ic

Day 2 Tour (Cancelled due to weather, see reply #36)

The Day 2 Tour meetup location is the Yosemite Falls Café at 4020 N. Cedar Avenue, Fresno, CA at 8 AM.  Following breakfast the tour will begin with an eastward drive on CA 180 (the Kings Canyon Highway) to Grant Grove of Kings Canyon National Park.  The Day 2 will meet at Grant Grove to take photos at the General Sherman Tree (the second largest tree in the world) before breaking away to begin an at-your-own pace tour of the Generals Highway.
Map Link for Yosemite Falls to Grant Grove:
Yosemite Falls Café to Grant Grove, CA - Google Maps
The Generals Highway is an approximately 46 Mile National Park Highway.  The Generals Highway connects the Grant Grove annex of Kings Canyon National Park south to the Foothills Entrance of Sequoia National Park at the eastern terminus of California State Route 198 in Three Rivers.  The Generals Highway lies entirely within Tulare County and crosses through portions of the Giant Sequoia National Monument within Sequoia National Forest.

A link describing the southbound journey on Generals Highway to CA 198 can be found on Gribblenation:
The Generals Highway; connecting Kings Canyon National Park and Sequoia National Park (gribblenation.org)
My personal recommendations for places to visit along the Generals Highway include:
-   Taking a detour to Hume Lake to overlook CA 180 in Kings Canyon and Hume Lake Dam.  Hume Lake Dam likely is the first arch concrete dam constructed and was where the Sanger Log Flume once began.
-   The Redwood Mountain Vista.
-   The Kings Canyon Overlook if not the short Buena Vista Peak Trail
-   The Clover Creek Bridge (the Gribblenation blog cover photo).
-   The General Sherman Tree of the Giant Forest.
-   If open, a detour on Crescent Meadows Road to Moro Rock and the Tunnel Log.
-   The Tunnel Rock which happens to be a former alignment of the Generals Highway.
-   The Pumpkin Hollow Bridge as CA 198 begins near the Kaweah River. 

cl94

Tentatively interested. Depends on how crazy work is and the guest list. Luckily for me, I'm close enough to decide that week if it comes to that.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Techknow

I missed your initial thread but decided to "surf" thru the forums today. I be interested as well, would likely plan to attend one or two months out

A.J. Bertin

I won't be able to attend, but I'm delighted to see that some areas in the western United States are starting to be represented at road meets!
-A.J. from Michigan

74/171FAN

If I only did not have other 2023 plans already....
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

kurumi

Interested in attending. Thank you for setting this up.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

The High Plains Traveler

I am definitely interested. It would be a major trip, but I've wanted to get back to Sequoia and Kings Canyon for a long time. I hope I can be more definitive a month out from the event, the way things seem to crop up.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

skluth

Definitely interested. I've never been to this area of Cali and it would be nice to put some faces to the names I regularly see here. I'm forgetful so I've placed a reminder four weeks out in my Google Calendar.

Max Rockatansky

Worth noting, I do plan putting together either a Word document or PowerPoint for this meet sometime around New Year.  I don't think the Fresno area is too difficult to navigate but Sequoia-Kings Canyon probably could benefit from some easy to read suggestions.

oscar

I'm a maybe at this point. I might combine this meet with the Omaha meet the preceding Saturday. That would probably rule me out for any optional events on May 5, but not May 8.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

roadfro

Put me as a maybe! This is close enough for me to get to if things line up. It would be really be nice to put some faces to names I've seen on the board for years.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Max Rockatansky

As a minor update to this thread, I did begin working on the Meet itinerary today on a Word Document.  I'm six pages in so far (largely because I'm inserting maps and some images) and I'll be finished sometime during the January.  When the itinerary document is done, I will find some options to make it available.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 30, 2022, 02:32:56 PM
As a minor update to this thread, I did begin working on the Meet itinerary today on a Word Document.  I'm six pages in so far (largely because I'm inserting maps and some images) and I'll be finished sometime during the January.  When the itinerary document is done, I will find some options to make it available.

Don't feel alarmed for being 6 pages (and expecting more)
My itineraries have been like little books, at around 10 pages due to the additions of maps and photos.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on December 31, 2022, 01:18:59 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 30, 2022, 02:32:56 PM

Don't feel alarmed for being 6 pages (and expecting more)
My itineraries have been like little books, at around 10 pages due to the additions of maps and photos.

I'm more or less working off a copy of the Philadelphia meet last year which I want to say ended up being something like 25 pages plus. 

Alps

I try to keep mine to 4 pages. Everyone's different.

Max Rockatansky

I probably can get it down to something more palatable if I just type turn-by-turn directions like an old set Google/Map Quest directions.  Then again that's why I posted what I did, I'm looking for feedback on how to format the itinerary document. 

cl94

Quote from: Alps on December 31, 2022, 07:34:04 PM
I try to keep mine to 4 pages. Everyone's different.

Yeah, I'm on the "keep it under 10-15" train. More than that seems excessive.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Duke87

So, currently looking like I may well show up to this with my dad in tow, though for Saturday only as we'll need to be back in Los Angeles Sunday.

(primary purpose of trip is clinching MLB stadiums, this is a detour)
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Max Rockatansky

I finished up the Fresno Road Meet itinerary today.  I got everything down to 6 pages on a Word document and inserted links for Segment Maps.  I updated the original post in this thread and a copy of the Word document can be found below:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ej6pdolmjjjy5ezj5jwgf/FRESNO-AREA-ROAD-MEET.docx?dl=0&rlkey=18fvuhjb8u55eh6ls6uqlgy1o

Note: I'm not super familiar with dropbox.  I can easily email a copy of the Word document if you PM me.

Max Rockatansky

I did a mock run of the Day 1 segments through downtown Fresno to get idea on how fast it was to traverse coupled with seeing what HSR projects were ongoing.  I had a thought upon passing the Van Ness Arch and noticing the huge amounts of shoulder parking, would it be good to try for a group photo there?  It would probably be pretty convenient to do a meet photo early and the Van Ness Arch is literally right at the beginning of the Day 1 route:

IMG_8568 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Worth noting, even on weekdays Van Ness in the Warehouse District is very lightly traveled.  I wouldn't anticipate having much issue setting up for a photo and being disturbed by traffic.

Ian

As of right now, I should be able to make this one actually. I'm looking forward to it. It's been some time since I was last at an official meet!
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

SSOWorld

Road meets are not priority outside 2, (maybe 3) within the Midwest due to a long trip that will suck money and PTO.  I'm out
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Max Rockatansky

I believe that I've already spoken to those who are firmly committed to going Fresno Meet.  For those on the fence be advised the Generals Highway is not likely to fully open until June due to near record snow packs.  More so, the entrances to Kings Canyon National Park and Sequoia National Park are projected to reopen during early April due to repairs:

https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

At present moment I am monitoring the situation to see if the Day 2 plans need to be only slightly modified or fully changed.  My thought is to wait until two weeks out to see if there is a projection for when CA 180 opens through Kings Canyon to Cedar Grove.  The highway tends to open usually sometime in April but that doesn't seem to be a guarantee this year.  There is a couple other options I'm considering:

-  Looping Yosemite via CA 41, Wawona Road, El Portal Road and CA 140.
-  Heading to Grant Grove via CA 180 and down from Kings Canyon National Park.
-  Heading to the Giant Forest via CA 198 and the southern portions of Generals Highway.

I will provide updates for the Day 2 schedule as I hear more from Caltrans and the Park Service.

cl94

I should have a few Nevada maps with me to pass out to any interested attendees. NV hasn't produced a new map since 2019 or so, so if you got one in the past few years, you probably have the latest. I also may have a couple of California tourism maps.

The snow...yeah. We government employees in the Sierra are so very tired of dealing with snow. Roof collapses, drainage failures, slides up the wazoo, you name it. We'll be lucky to have everything open by Independence Day at this rate.

An attraction not mentioned previously: Tulare Lake is starting to reform south of Fresno and will certainly have water in it come meet day. I am definitely making a detour to see it. CA 43 is currently under the reforming lake, so no clinches of CA 43 for anyone, but it hasn't formed since the record 1983 winter (which 2023 has surpassed).

Max Rockatansky

The In-n-Out Burger parking lot in Kettleman City on CA 41 has the best view I've found of the lake bed. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.