Why do almost all the streets in Fairfax County, VA have a state road number?

Started by KCRoadFan, December 22, 2022, 10:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

In July 2005, my family and I went on a trip out east to DC and Philadelphia, and during our time in the Washington area, we stayed with some relatives in Fairfax County, VA, and rode the Metro Blue Line into the city.

During our time in Virginia, one thing I remember seeing was that, alongside the street sign blades, the intersections would have small white signs with black numbers, indicating the state road number assigned to the road. I soon realized that not just the signed state highways, but practically every road in the county, from major thoroughfares down to the numerous suburban cul-de-sacs and everything in between, was given its own state road number. For example, this Street View link shows the intersection of Rough Run Court, the street on which my Virginia relatives lived, with South Valley Drive, just off SR 123 in Fairfax Station. As you can see from those little white signs, Rough Run Court is officially designated by VDOT as SR 8156, while South Valley Drive is SR 8153.

At the time, I had found this rather fascinating (as I still do now), but I didn't have any idea as to why this might be. Then, a few years ago, I came across an interesting article on the FHWA's website - about Harry F. Byrd, a former Virginia governor, and later senator, who played a big role in improving the state's road system - which appeared to clue me into the reason. The relevant passage from the article reads thus:

"Byrd made a unique proposal that he had been thinking about for a number of years. His idea was that the State should take over the county road system, thus adding 35,000 miles to the State system and saving the counties $3.4 million that could be used for other needs."

Along with another passage later in the article:

"He also was proud of his decision that Virginia should take over the county roads, one of only four states to do so:

Costs are cut, he points out, because less equipment and labor are needed when all roads are managed, built and maintained by one agency, that is, the State Highway Department."

(Citation/link to article: https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/infrastructure/byrd.cfm)

So, basically, my takeaway from the article was that, in Virginia, thanks to Mr. Byrd, the state maintained the kinds of roads that counties might maintain in most other states. Thus, by my reasoning, with the state being responsible for all the roads down to every residential street, it seems plausible that all those roads, big and small alike, would be officially designated as state highways, with each one being given its own number.

Does that seem right? I'd like to see some insight from people who live in or near the area. In addition, is this phenomenon, of every little residential street being assigned a state road number, only seen in certain counties (such as Fairfax and other Northern Virginia counties like Prince William), or does it occur throughout the whole state? I'd like to find out more!

Takumi

It's the whole state, except for the independent cities and a couple counties. Fairfax just happens to have the most of them.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

zachary_amaryllis

The short time I spent in the Tidewater area, I was quite tripped out by everything being numbered. I lived in an area of 4-digit numbers like 10xx.

I remember school driveways had numbers, some anyway. The high school I attended was like 9336 or something.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

MillTheRoadgeek

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on December 23, 2022, 01:47:23 AM
The short time I spent in the Tidewater area, I was quite tripped out by everything being numbered. I lived in an area of 4-digit numbers like 10xx.

I remember school driveways had numbers, some anyway. The high school I attended was like 9336 or something.

On the flipside I'm totally used to them. I find it to be quite a handy system for those maintaining the roads.

1995hoo

I grew up with it, so it's never struck me as odd. Note that there are plenty of neighborhood streets that are not owned by VDOT but are instead what some places would sign as "private roads" (VDOT Northern Virginia doesn't typically sign that)–most often streets owned and maintained by HOAs. Whether a street is a VDOT street or an HOA street seems primarily to be a function of when the neighborhood was built. My mom's neighborhood near Fairfax City was built in the late 1970s/early 1980s and she lives on a VDOT street despite the neighborhood having no outlet other than its main entrance; my neighborhood south of Alexandria was built in 1992—1993 and I live on an HOA street (though the lone street leading in and out is a VDOT street).

In my experience living both in my mom's house when I was growing up and in my current house for the past 20+ years, there are advantages and disadvantages to both. The main advantages are that if your HOA is active in street maintenance, your street is likely to remain in better condition than a comparable VDOT street, and when it snows your street is likely to get plowed a lot sooner than it would if it were a VDOT street. In both cases that's because VDOT has higher priorities (for plowing, especially, they quite rightly focus first on arterials) and because an HOA has a far narrower focus and a smaller universe of streets to deal with. The main downside is the expense of maintaining the street. If you live in a relatively large HOA like I do, the expense gets spread over a large number of people and is easier to manage, but if you live in a small neighborhood (I have a colleague who lives on a street with 12 houses), the cost falls more heavily on everyone (although the overall cost is likely less if you just have one street), and also one obstructionist neighbor can potentially hold up street maintenance if the other neighbors aren't active in the HOA.

If you've ever driven on the segment of Nutley Street just east of Fairfax City between US-50 and US-29, you might be surprised to learn that road used to be privately-owned into the 1980s. Back then, the maintenance was horrible. Lots of potholes and other issues. Then at one point the road's owner put up speed bumps, which led to loads of complaints from people who used it as a commuter route. They weren't too thrilled when VDOT said the owner had the right to do that! Eventually there was some sort of settlement; I don't know whether VDOT now owns the road, but I believe they are involved in maintenance. It's too important a connector for the authorities (regardless of who they are) not to have some role.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

famartin

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 23, 2022, 08:45:34 AM
I grew up with it, so it's never struck me as odd. Note that there are plenty of neighborhood streets that are not owned by VDOT but are instead what some places would sign as "private roads" (VDOT Northern Virginia doesn't typically sign that)–most often streets owned and maintained by HOAs. Whether a street is a VDOT street or an HOA street seems primarily to be a function of when the neighborhood was built. My mom's neighborhood near Fairfax City was built in the late 1970s/early 1980s and she lives on a VDOT street despite the neighborhood having no outlet other than its main entrance; my neighborhood south of Alexandria was built in 1992—1993 and I live on an HOA street (though the lone street leading in and out is a VDOT street).

In my experience living both in my mom's house when I was growing up and in my current house for the past 20+ years, there are advantages and disadvantages to both. The main advantages are that if your HOA is active in street maintenance, your street is likely to remain in better condition than a comparable VDOT street, and when it snows your street is likely to get plowed a lot sooner than it would if it were a VDOT street. In both cases that's because VDOT has higher priorities (for plowing, especially, they quite rightly focus first on arterials) and because an HOA has a far narrower focus and a smaller universe of streets to deal with. The main downside is the expense of maintaining the street. If you live in a relatively large HOA like I do, the expense gets spread over a large number of people and is easier to manage, but if you live in a small neighborhood (I have a colleague who lives on a street with 12 houses), the cost falls more heavily on everyone (although the overall cost is likely less if you just have one street), and also one obstructionist neighbor can potentially hold up street maintenance if the other neighbors aren't active in the HOA.

If you've ever driven on the segment of Nutley Street just east of Fairfax City between US-50 and US-29, you might be surprised to learn that road used to be privately-owned into the 1980s. Back then, the maintenance was horrible. Lots of potholes and other issues. Then at one point the road's owner put up speed bumps, which led to loads of complaints from people who used it as a commuter route. They weren't too thrilled when VDOT said the owner had the right to do that! Eventually there was some sort of settlement; I don't know whether VDOT now owns the road, but I believe they are involved in maintenance. It's too important a connector for the authorities (regardless of who they are) not to have some role.

In other parts of the country the township or county would do most road maintenance that isn't worthy of state-level attention. VDOT is one of few which numbers and maintains nearly EVERYTHING. Its an interesting oddity to be sure. There are private HOA roads in other states that are not under township or county maintenance, and yeah, even there, you get the same kind of difference - HOA's tend to do a bit better job, but there's the cost...

I checked the VDOT traffic route log for Fairfax, and it appears Nutley between 50 and 29 is now SR 10272.

Takumi

I've noticed that localities where roads are maintained by VDOT tend to be more consistent with their signage and maintenance than localities that maintain their own roads, with a few exceptions (Henrico County, for example). However, that inconsistency in locally-maintained roads made it so the majority of the old cutouts and white-border signs that made it into the 21st century were in cities and towns.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Mapmikey

When the 1932 Byrd Act passed in Virginia, 4 counties elected not to opt into having the state maintain most of their roads - Arlington, Denbigh, Henrico and Nottoway.

Nottoway changed its mind in 1933 which caused some numbering problems since more than one SR 614 entered Nottoway County from its neighbors.  Occasionally there is talk of a county opting out but none has done so.

Denbigh County became the City of Newport News.  Henrico County may have thought of opting in during the 1950-60s, since county maps show secondary route numbers for most of its roads.

Note that incorporated towns can also opt in/out.  Those that are in often sign the routes with a T in front of them like this.   Those that opt out have an End State Maintenance sign at the corporate limits like this.

Independent Cities are automatically out, though the city of Nanesmond (now Suffolk) kept the postings up for 40+ years before finally removing them.  Small footprint cities are often better than the counties at clearing snow from residential streets.

Note that the 1932 secondary numbering system was nothing like Virginia has now (see scan below).  It originally had 1 and 2 digit numbers, then 3 digit numbers for residential streets and minor roads such as loops that are old alignments of state highways. However, this system was never signed in the field and the numbering system (600+ numbers) was adopted in July 1933 to eliminate duplicate numbers with state highways.  I haven't completed research on this, but the numbering of secondary roads had a definite pattern that one could in theory replicate the first iteration with a blank map today.

1932 Campbell County map

Two of Virginia's neighbors, NC and WV did similar things around the same timeframe, though it is unclear if NC numbered theirs prior to 1960, though county maps did not show any.  SC, who also has an extensive state secondary system, didn't get around to having one until 1946.  Up to then, roads the state agreed to maintain were technically state highways.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Mapmikey on December 23, 2022, 08:11:16 PM
Two of Virginia's neighbors, NC and WV did similar things around the same timeframe, though it is unclear if NC numbered theirs prior to 1960, though county maps did not show any. 

And curiously, both of those states are like Virginia whereby most of the secondary routes are also state-maintained.

1995hoo

... Occasionally there is talk of a county opting out but none has done so. ...

Also the recent talk, which has quieted down after a flurry of discussion a few years ago, about Fairfax County's board of supervisors exploring the idea of the county becoming an independent city. To be sure, their interest isn't really roads, but rather the ability to impose certain taxes the independent cities are allowed to impose that counties are not so as to have more money for the school system and the like. A downside, to most of us who live in Fairfax County who are aware of these issues, is that the county would become responsible for road maintenance, which in turn would suck up most of those taxes they want to impose unless they just let the roads deteriorate. I find it hard to see much benefit to the proposal.

Mapmikey

Whether Fairfax County opts out or becomes an independent city someday, VDOT would be sending a large chunk of $ annually for the roads. I'd be surprised if this money could be diverted to other uses, so taxes imposed by Fairfax wouldn't need to be swallowed up by road maintenance.

froggie

Independent Cities are automatically out, though the city of Nanesmond (now Suffolk) kept the postings up for 40+ years before finally removing them.  Small footprint cities are often better than the counties at clearing snow from residential streets.

This one was a special case.  When Suffolk and Nansemond County merged in the 1970s, VDOT kept maintenance of all the roads outside the original Suffolk city limits until into the 2000s.  When Suffolk agreed to take them over (mid-2000s, IIRC), it did not take long for them to remove most of the secondary route shields.

Mapmikey

Quote from: froggie on December 24, 2022, 11:23:06 AM

This one was a special case.  When Suffolk and Nansemond County merged in the 1970s, VDOT kept maintenance of all the roads outside the original Suffolk city limits until into the 2000s.  When Suffolk agreed to take them over (mid-2000s, IIRC), it did not take long for them to remove most of the secondary route shields.

Poking around the internet it looks like Suffolk took over around the beginning of 2006.  GMSV shows some postings still up in 2007 and some were gone in 2008.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Mapmikey on December 24, 2022, 08:04:03 PM
Quote from: froggie on December 24, 2022, 11:23:06 AM

Poking around the internet it looks like Suffolk took over around the beginning of 2006.  GMSV shows some postings still up in 2007 and some were gone in 2008.

There's still a few isolated postings here and there, including this one (GSV from 2017 but still there in 2022).
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Hunty2022

Google Maps shows multiple unsigned SRs in cities, like a SR-603 in Virginia Beach. This apparent route is unsigned from what I know.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Hunty2022 on December 27, 2022, 10:29:57 AM
Google Maps shows multiple unsigned SRs in cities, like a SR-603 in Virginia Beach. This apparent route is unsigned from what I know.

Those SRs officially do not exist. Virginia Beach and Chesapeake have a few signed in places (for example, Sandbridge Rd is signed as SR 629) but they officially have not existed since they became independent cities.

There are also a number of SRs signed from I-664 in Suffolk and Chesapeake that also do not exist.
Will Weaver

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Mapmikey

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on December 27, 2022, 10:45:31 AM

Those SRs officially do not exist. Virginia Beach and Chesapeake have a few signed in places (for example, Sandbridge Rd is signed as SR 629) but they officially have not existed since they became independent cities.

There are also a number of SRs signed from I-664 in Suffolk and Chesapeake that also do not exist.

Also I-295 in Henrico County has this.

1995hoo

What always mildly amuses me is how many people who live in Virginia have no clue how road maintenance works. They complain about how "the county" needs to do something with regard to road signage or traffic lights or similar. I assume a lot of those people moved here from elsewhere and are used to a different arrangement.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Mapmikey on December 27, 2022, 11:45:56 AM
Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on December 27, 2022, 10:45:31 AM

Also I-295 in Henrico County has this.

The Henrico County SRs are not posted from I-295 (they are signed as simply Woodman Rd and Nuckols Rd); there are some exits just across the Hanover County line that indicate that SRs head into Henrico from I-295, which is technically correct (they just end at the county line).
Will Weaver

Dirt Roads

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 27, 2022, 11:48:29 AM
What always mildly amuses me is how many people who live in Virginia have no clue how road maintenance works. They complain about how "the county" needs to do something with regard to road signage or traffic lights or similar. I assume a lot of those people moved here from elsewhere and are used to a different arrangement.

Agreed.  This concept of "county road maintenance" still makes some sense in West Virginia and North Carolina where the DOH and NCDOT actually have road maintenance offices for each county.  But VDOT has "residencies" that often cover four or five counties (plus any state maintained highways within their respective independent cities).

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Dirt Roads on December 27, 2022, 12:40:47 PM

Agreed.  This concept of "county road maintenance" still makes some sense in West Virginia and North Carolina where the DOH and NCDOT actually have road maintenance offices for each county.  But VDOT has "residencies" that often cover four or five counties (plus any state maintained highways within their respective independent cities).

Some counties do have public works departments that perform some level of road maintenance and construction (granted, much of it is funded by VDOT) - Prince William County and Chesterfield County, for example. Chesterfield County in particular has been planning a great deal of road diet projects recently, which is aggravating as some of the roads affected are major connectors (SR 650 between US 60 and US 360 was recently downgraded to 2 lanes).
Will Weaver

famartin

Most people don't have much clue about how road maintenance works. That said, it was really weird to move to VA and find out nearly every subdivision street is handled by VDOT. 

That said, as I recall it was Fairfax County which built the Fairfax County Parkway, which was then turned over to VDOT for maintenance and future improvements. So, there's that layer of potential confusion, too...

Mapmikey

Buchanan County has roads that are numbered separate from the 600-series and are maintained by the county.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Mapmikey on December 27, 2022, 03:08:24 PM
Buchanan County has roads that are numbered separate from the 600-series and are maintained by the county.

Are they signed at all?
Will Weaver

1995hoo

Quote from: famartin on December 27, 2022, 01:21:19 PM

That said, as I recall it was Fairfax County which built the Fairfax County Parkway, which was then turned over to VDOT for maintenance and future improvements. So, there's that layer of potential confusion, too...

I believe that's right, and I seem to recall there was a bunch of bureaucratic red tape involved at the time and that VDOT was initially quite reluctant to cooperate. I don't recall the details, though, as (perhaps unsurprisingly) I was less interested in the niceties of transportation funding in the 1980s than I am now. I do remember the days when the road was still referred to as the "Springfield Bypass" in news reports.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.