News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Kentucky

Started by NE2, April 22, 2011, 07:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seicer

Ah - thanks for the clarification. I always wondered why they couldn't just leave the corridor as-is with improvements to things like lane and shoulder widths since it doesn't carry that much traffic, but I suspect that the overriding factor is simply to complete the corridor.

hbelkins

There's a certain school of thought that has it that the improvements done to existing US 119 across the mountain 20 years ago are all that will ever be done, but the corridor isn't considered complete by ARC.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

CardInLex

Visited the official KY Department of Tourism website today (https://www.kentuckytourism.com/) and noticed that "Interstate 23"  is included on the "Explore Kentucky's Regions"  map on the homepage. It of course should be US 23, but that would make it the only US route included. I also found it strange the interstate spurs and parkways weren't included. I know this map was probably made by a graphic design contractor but found it odd that no one in Tourism noticed it.

milbfan

Quote from: hbelkins on September 25, 2021, 05:04:57 PM
Quote from: milbfan on September 25, 2021, 04:58:38 PM
Are they actually going to do some road rehab on US 23, heading into/out of KY from Virginia?  Man, that's long overdue.

Yes. Announced this week. Pavement rehab from the state line northbound (downhill) to KY 805.

My compliments to whoever did the work.  Also adjusted the lighting and added some reflectors and things on the northbound side.

roadman65

Is the East End Tunnel a toll facility part of the Lewis and Clark Bridge on I-265 in Prospect, KY?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

seicer

It was built as a component of the Ohio River Bridges Project. The toll gantry is between the tunnel and the bridge.

roadman65

So that is why no exits. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

CardInLex

There's really no where for an exit between the tunnel and the bridge. Although I do hate that there isn't access to US 42 coming from Indiana.

wriddle082

Quote from: CardInLex on December 16, 2021, 08:35:42 PM
There's really no where for an exit between the tunnel and the bridge. Although I do hate that there isn't access to US 42 coming from Indiana.
They could put up "TO US 42" signs for the loop ramp to I-71 north and then the loop ramp back to 841 west or north or however it's signed.  Not sure how the interchange rebuild will fix this.  Kentucky has a precedent set with this in that I-64 west traffic wanting to go to Mountain Parkway east has to exit off onto KY 627 south and then return to I-64 east, and it's been signed this way for as long as I can remember.

Bitmapped

Quote from: CardInLex on December 16, 2021, 08:35:42 PM

Why couldn't they put in a half diamond at River Road with the missing movements from US 42? It looks like there would be enough room for ramps. There is already a restricted access driveway that connects River Road to the toll road.

seicer

My recollection of that specific topic was that it was heavily opposed by residents and historic preservationists. It lies within the Harrod's Creek Historic District and the roads within it would need to be substantially upgraded to handle the traffic. Wolf Pen Branch Road and River Road in that area are narrow two-lanes surrounded by stately trees and historic buildings. It would be a tall order to change the character of the neighborhood when it took so long just to get a tunnel cut under the Drumanard Estate.

2trailertrucker

Quote from: seicer on December 18, 2021, 07:00:01 PM
My recollection of that specific topic was that it was heavily opposed by residents and historic preservationists. It lies within the Harrod's Creek Historic District and the roads within it would need to be substantially upgraded to handle the traffic. Wolf Pen Branch Road and River Road in that area are narrow two-lanes surrounded by stately trees and historic buildings. It would be a tall order to change the character of the neighborhood when it took so long just to get a tunnel cut under the Drumanard Estate.

IIRC, the groups against the road thought they had stopped the road and bridge from being built, only to have Mitch Daniels recommended a tunnel underneath the estate.

74/171FAN

The new alignment of KY 30 from US 421 to KY 847 has been opened to through traffic.  (and yes I think that is HB's FB post in the article)

OSM is showing the former route of KY 30 as KY 3630 at the moment.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

hbelkins

Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 01, 2022, 08:51:59 AM
The new alignment of KY 30 from US 421 to KY 847 has been opened to through traffic.  (and yes I think that is HB's FB post in the article)

OSM is showing the former route of KY 30 as KY 3630 at the moment.

Yes, indeed it is my post. I drove out there on the 15th. Got more pictures than what got posted.

As for numbering, the Jackson County part will probably be KY 3630. An existing older section in Owsley County is numbered KY 3536 and I"m not sure if the state will use 3536 or 3630 in Owsley County or not. There's a location where the new and old roads will intersect that has a sign erected, but it's turned sideways so I can't see the number.

seicer

When was KY 57 rerouted in the vicinity of Upper Blue Licks? It looks like it now travels along KY 32 and what was a county route, with the old route re-designated at KY 1325, KY 170, KY 1347, KY 3315. I assume this is to go around the unmaintained ford of the Licking River - which was fun to drive through in the Subaru years ago!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky_Route_57

hbelkins

Quote from: seicer on March 16, 2022, 04:35:34 PM
When was KY 57 rerouted in the vicinity of Upper Blue Licks? It looks like it now travels along KY 32 and what was a county route, with the old route re-designated at KY 1325, KY 170, KY 1347, KY 3315. I assume this is to go around the unmaintained ford of the Licking River - which was fun to drive through in the Subaru years ago!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky_Route_57

Sometime before the last Dayton, Ohio meet. I drove it on my way to Dayton for that meet. https://transportation.ky.gov/Planning/State%20Primary%20Road%20System%20Lists/Nicholas.pdf indicates it was February 2011.

And yes, it was done to make KY 57 a continuous route. It took over a 3000-series route from near the former end of state maintenance on the south side to connect to KY 32.

KY 227 was rerouted in Owen County about the same time.

Tom958

As most of you know, a short section of KY 4 New Circle Road is being widened to six lanes near the US 25 and KY 922 interchanges on the north side of Lexington. However: westbound, there's a new APL for the US 25 exit that shows four lanes on the mainline, not just three. There's a permanent yellow all-text RIGHT LANE ENDS- - MERGE LEFT sign on the US 25 bridge, too. As closely spaced as the US 25 and KY 922 interchanges are, it appears that they're adding an extra lane through the area, like a North Carolina-style poor man's CD.

seicer

It's all grown up... I remember when I went to college at UK back around 2003, it was just four lanes with short accel/decel lanes in that area. Now it's eight lanes.

ibthebigd

I wish they would extend the merge lane on Newtown Pike all the way to Paris Pike

That would help that Bottleneck big time

SM-G996U

hbelkins

Quote from: ibthebigd on March 30, 2022, 10:58:51 AM
I wish they would extend the merge lane on Newtown Pike all the way to Paris Pike

That would help that Bottleneck big time

SM-G996U

I saw something not too terribly long ago about improvements to that ramp. I don't know if anything is planned beyond the lengthening that's already been done, or not. The minor widening from I-64 to US 60 (Winchester Road) done years ago has helped.

For traffic going north/west on 75/64 wanting to access New Circle to reach the BG Parkway, I've found it best to use US 27/68 (Paris Pike) to New Circle, instead of Newtown Pike. There are actually fewer signals on the Paris Pike/New Circle combo than there are on Newtown between the interstate and the circle.

I think there's a project in the works to widen New Circle from Georgetown Road around to Leestown and the beginning of the existing six-lane segment. It includes a DDI at Leestown.

CardInLex

Richmond Road (US 25/US 421 and KY 418) is getting several new RCUTs in Lexington. The project will also create a new main entrance into Jacobson Park and eliminate Old Richmond Road (US 25/US 421) between Richmond Road/Athens Boonesboro Road and Aphids Way. Aphids Way will be rebuilt to handle the traffic and bring Old Richmond Road to the Hayes Blvd intersection (which will be an RCUT).

You can see the project plans here:
https://richmondroadimprovements.com/

ibthebigd

I'm skeptical of the RCUTs working on Richmond Rd.

Should have tried them on the Citation extension and seen if they work. I always thought roundabouts would have been better at the non major intersections of Citation.

SM-G996U

CardInLex

Reminder of road/interstate closures in Louisville this weekend for Thunder Over Louisville.

Now - Sunday afternoon:
US 31/Clark Memorial Bridge is closed

Saturday (all day):
Most downtown roads north of Main Street in Louisville will be closed
Most roads south of Court Ave on the Indiana side will be closed
Exit ramp to Third Street in Louisville will be closed
Exit ramp to Court Ave in Indiana will be closed
The Big Four Bridge will be closed to pedestrian traffic

Saturday at 8:30pm to 11:00pm:
I-64 between 22nd Street and I-264 (Watterson Expressway in St Matthews) will be closed
I-65 between I-264 (Watterson Expressway) and I-265 in Indiana will be closed
I-71 between I-65 and I-264 (Watterson Expressway) will be closed
I-65 NB Lincoln Bridge will be closed
I-65 SB Kennedy Bridge will be closed

Recommended detour is I-265 around the city.

Saturday at 10:00pm until police see fit:
All traffic in downtown Louisville will be forced to follow "express routes"  on city streets southward, eastward, and westward. No turns are allowed off the express routes. Police will be directing traffic at every intersection. Some two way streets will be one way along the "express routes."  

Just some notes: If you are driving on I-64 and I-65 in the afternoon before the full closures, expect extremely low flying airplanes including at least one UPS 767 passing just a few hundred feet above the bridges.

If you are coming, welcome! Park as far away as you can comfortably walk and arrive early. Wear sunscreen.

ibthebigd

Why so many roads closed for this event?

SM-G996U

CardInLex

Quote from: ibthebigd on April 22, 2022, 04:53:10 PM
Why so many roads closed for this event?

SM-G996U

They are expecting over 750,000 people this year. It is the nation's largest firework show with a 7 hour air show before it. They close the interstates before the fireworks to keep people from stopping or parking on the interstates and bridges.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.