News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

The expanded section of I-65 between Sellersburg and Memphis now has all 3 lanes open in both directions with speed limit restrictions removed.  Work on the Seymour to Columbus section is hitting full stride, with a 60 mph speed limit restriction for the length of that project.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

silverback1065

i hope they keep that bridge over 46

silverback1065

good news the rethink 65/70 coalition isn't actually interested in removing any interstates from downtown indy, they propose depressing them all below grade, open trench style.  INDOT isn't remotely interested in this, they just want to fix the north split.  I actually think their idea is good from what little I know about it at this point, but it won't happen due to cost.  I will post a link if there is one later today, unless someone beats me to it. 

mvak36

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 13, 2018, 07:50:08 AM
good news the rethink 65/70 coalition isn't actually interested in removing any interstates from downtown indy, they propose depressing them all below grade, open trench style.  INDOT isn't remotely interested in this, they just want to fix the north split.  I actually think their idea is good from what little I know about it at this point, but it won't happen due to cost.  I will post a link if there is one later today, unless someone beats me to it.

I found this: https://cbs4indy.com/2018/11/12/rethink-65-70-has-their-own-ideas-to-improve-the-north-split/
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

jhuntin1

Quote from: cbs4indy.com article
The Rethink 65/70 coalition, made up of local business owners, residents and community organizations, hired a consulting firm to take a look at INDOT's plans and suggest some improvements. They want the North Split plan to follow these four guiding principles:

1. No lane expansion
   2. No above-grade walls outside the North Split
   3. Enhanced economic development
   4. Increased connectivity between downtown and surrounding neighborhoods

INDOT's new plan meets only one of the coalition's principles and that's having no large walls.
Number 4 makes sense, but it's not part of the project and is the city's job not INDOT's. Also, why do they think it's INDOT's job to enhance economic development? I understand that the area around the north split was messed up 50+ years ago, but it's not going to get fixed in any meaningful way today and the construction needs to be done.

silverback1065

INDOT is looking into reconstructing 465 from 86th street to US 31 on the northside of indy!  This is in the study phase, so construction is likely several years off. 

nwi_navigator_1181

This is gonna suck.

Effective Tuesday (November 27), I-65 southbound from US 12/20 to I-94 will be completely closed off to all traffic as the bridge replacement project continues through the winter. Northbound traffic will continue to go through the area unimpeded with both lanes open. Those looking to enter I-65 southbound will have to get to I-94 to access it (for those coming from Chicago via the Toll Road, the most viable detour is Cline Avenue near East Chicago). Local traffic will be asked to enter I-94 via Indiana 51, though Broadway is also available.

This configuration will be in effect until next summer.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

NWI_Irish96

So the construction zone 55 mph speed limit on I-65 is still in effect from 109th Ave all the way down almost to IN 10, and the new third lane is still closed in each direction from 109th Ave to IN 2 even though it appears that all construction has been completed for a while.  What's up with that?

SSR_317

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 19, 2018, 08:54:37 PM
INDOT is looking into reconstructing 465 from 86th street to US 31 on the northside of indy!  This is in the study phase, so construction is likely several years off.
They at LEAST fixed the rough bridges over Williams Creek & Spring Mill Run (between the underpasses at 96th St & Spring Mill Rd). But this section desperately needed its widening & reconstruction years ago. Guess they were too busy rebuilding the Michigan Road (US 421) interchange over and over and over again. And when are they going to get around to rebuilding the I-65/I-465 interchange on the NW side?

silverback1065

Quote from: SSR_317 on November 24, 2018, 02:20:26 PM
They at LEAST fixed the rough bridges over Williams Creek & Spring Mill Run (between the underpasses at 96th St & Spring Mill Rd). But this section desperately needed its widening & reconstruction years ago. Guess they were too busy rebuilding the Michigan Road (US 421) interchange over and over and over again. And when are they going to get around to rebuilding the I-65/I-465 interchange on the NW side?

those bridges are great now.  and yes, 465 north to 65 north needs to be moved to the right.  65 north to 465 north needs to be realigned with a higher speed radius. 

Great Lakes Roads

Well, the Chase Street bridge over I-80/94 in Gary is going to be reconstructed soon... I think that this bridge was where the fire happened back a couple of years ago...

Anyway, traffic will be reduced from five to three lanes starting TONIGHT from 9pm until 6am... All lanes will be opened during the day...

Map: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5696281,-87.3750242,3a,75y,262.26h,91.88t/data=!3m5!1e1!3m3!1sNIuzOfIcOhHXulH36flf6w!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DNIuzOfIcOhHXulH36flf6w%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D183.54005%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100?hl=en

bmeiser

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 24, 2018, 02:58:13 PM

those bridges are great now.  and yes, 465 north to 65 north needs to be moved to the right.  65 north to 465 north needs to be realigned with a higher speed radius.

I'll say it again: I really wish they'd reconstruct the 465/865 interchange / 465 NW corner.

silverback1065

Quote from: bmeiser on November 26, 2018, 11:44:17 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on November 24, 2018, 02:58:13 PM

I'll say it again: I really wish they'd reconstruct the 465/865 interchange / 465 NW corner.

the project i mentioned includes that.  reconstruction from 86th to US 31

bmeiser

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 27, 2018, 11:29:30 AM
the project i mentioned includes that.  reconstruction from 86th to US 31

Duh.  Not sure why I didn't realize that.  For some reason I thought by 86th St you meant Michigan Rd.  I guess because I used to live off 86th St. and I'd get off at Michigan to get home.

Interstate 69 Fan

Where'd you find the info for this?
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

silverback1065

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on November 27, 2018, 03:09:43 PM
Where'd you find the info for this?

INDOT RFP (Request for Proposals) this won't be announced any time soon, it is just at the proposal/study phase.  An engineer I know told me about it. 

nwi_navigator_1181

In a surprising reversal from about a year ago, Governor Holcomb states that he won't have tolls imposed on Indiana's free interstates during his tenure in office. He says the fuel tax and vehicle registration fees are enough to sustain the state's construction blitz.

However, he does say the tolling plan will be on the table in case his successor needs a funding option. In short, tolling plans won't be revisited until as early as 2021.

Edited to avoid double posting

Effective tonight (11-30-18), all lanes on I-65 are open from US 30 to Indiana 2. The last of the barrels were removed earlier today. There's still a few loose ends to tie up (mainly activation of message board and travel time signs along both directions, including the travel time sign for southbound traffic well north of the work zone), but all long-term closures have been lifted. This includes the Kankakee River bridge south of Indiana 2.

mvak36

http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/story/39605079/i-65-projects-land-40m-in-funding
QuoteWASHINGTON, D.C. -

The U.S. Department of Transportation has awarded Indiana $40 million in grants for major interstate projects. The Indiana Department of Transportation will use the two $20 million grants for the South Central and North Central I-65 expansion projects.

The South Central Indiana Expansion Project aims to increase capacity on I-65 between SR 58 and SR 56. It involves reconstructing two lanes and adding a travel lane and shoulders to the northbound and southbound lanes. INDOT will also replace the superstructures on the Carr Hill Road and CR 200 South bridges over I-65. You can find more information on the project by clicking here.

The North Central Indiana Expansion Project will increase I-65 capacity between SR 32 and SR 47. It also involves rebuilding two lanes and adding a travel land and shoulders to northbound and southbound lanes. It will additional involve work on several bridges and ramps.

I think the first project is between SR58 and SR46, not SR56. https://grants.ost.dot.gov/public/ViewMessage.cfm?MsgID=ri8ho03z9u

mvak36

Quote from: silverback1065 on April 21, 2018, 10:29:04 PM
Quote from: bmeiser on April 21, 2018, 12:36:49 AM
Quote from: mvak36 on April 20, 2018, 10:56:21 PM
It looks like they started the widening on the Columbus to Seymour segment of I-65 last week: http://www.wdrb.com/story/37950941/indiana-officials-break-ground-on-143-million-expansion-of-i-65

Looks like it was funded by the 10 cent gas tax increase last year. https://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/indianapolis/construction-season-is-officially-underway-in-indiana

So what parts of I-65 will still be two lanes after this and all current projects are complete?  I know northern Indiana better than southern so please correct me if I'm wrong on this list.

Radially out from Indy:

• US 52 - IN 38 - 27 Mi
  • IN 25 - IN 2 - 65 Mi
  • IN 44 - IN 58 - 26 Mi
  • US 50 - Blue Lick Rd? - 34 Mi

I wonder which segment (or part of a segment) will be done next?  Many bridges between IN 25 and IN 2 are already wide enough for 3 lanes and the Kankakee River bridge is being expanded so I'm sure parts of that will be done in the not so distant future.  Although, to me, it makes sense to continue from IN-44 down to IN 58.  Much shorter segment and pretty heavily traveled.  What do you guys think?

you're missing 465 to 865 this portion boarders eagle creek park, so i would assume the widening would be in the median.
With the new BUILD grant, that knocks off about 4 miles from both the US52 to IN38 section and the IN44 to IN58 section.

NWI_Irish96

From bottom to top:

IN/KY line to Memphis (16 miles) - already 3+ lanes
Memphis to US 50 (34 miles) - 2 lanes with no action planned
US 50 to IN 58 (14 miles) - currently being widened to 3 lanes
IN 58 to IN 46 (4 miles) - planned for widening to 3 lanes
IN 46 to IN 44 (22 miles) - 2 lanes with no action planned
IN 44 to I-465 westside (33 miles) - already 3+ lanes
I-465 westside to I-865 (6 miles) - 2 lanes with no action planned
I-865 to IN 32 (11 miles) - already 3 lanes
IN 32 to IN 47 (6 miles) - planned for widening to 3 lanes
IN 47 to IN 38 (22 miles) - 2 lanes with no action planned
IN 38 to IN 25 (7 miles) - already 3 lanes
IN 25 to IN 2 (65 miles) - 2 lanes with no action planned
IN 2 to US 12/20 (22 miles) - already 3+ lanes

So by my count there are still 149 miles that have yet to had any planning begun for expansion. 

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: cabiness42 on December 08, 2018, 08:32:29 AM
From bottom to top:

IN/KY line to Memphis (16 miles) - already 3+ lanes
Memphis to US 50 (34 miles) - 2 lanes with no action planned
US 50 to IN 58 (14 miles) - currently being widened to 3 lanes
IN 58 to IN 46 (4 miles) - planned for widening to 3 lanes
IN 46 to IN 44 (22 miles) - 2 lanes with no action planned
IN 44 to I-465 westside (33 miles) - already 3+ lanes
I-465 westside to I-865 (6 miles) - 2 lanes with no action planned
I-865 to IN 32 (11 miles) - already 3 lanes
IN 32 to IN 47 (6 miles) - planned for widening to 3 lanes
IN 47 to IN 38 (22 miles) - 2 lanes with no action planned
IN 38 to IN 25 (7 miles) - already 3 lanes
IN 25 to IN 2 (65 miles) - 2 lanes with no action planned
IN 2 to US 12/20 (22 miles) - already 3+ lanes

So by my count there are still 149 miles that have yet to had any planning begun for expansion.

Bolded emphasis mine.

If I had the opportunity to wager a guess on which of the "no action areas"  would get the treatment next, I'd say the northern third or so of the bolded section (from Indiana 2 southward to Indiana 14). The reasoning...

For a brief moment before the project broke ground, the original plan for the just-finished section of I-65 was to take the widening project to just south of Indiana 10. That plan was nixed in order to get the area that was worked on completed in the "accelerated timeline"  given. It's very easy to revisit this plan in the near future, especially with the Kankakee River bridge completed, along with the bridges just south of that area rebuilt to allow future lane expansion a few years prior. The other bridge in that area (south of Indiana 2) can get finished in a single construction season.

The section just south of Indiana 10 has a bridge that likely needs to be rebuilt for widening, but there are already two bridges between Indiana 10 and Indiana 14 that were rebuilt to accommodate new lanes. After those bridges, it should be easy to finish expansion south to and beyond Indiana 14. A full-blown resurface would be needed on each side of Indiana 14, but the rest should come easy. Just south of there would require more intensive work (the Iroquois River bridge immediately comes to mind), so that would be a good break point.

It's a LONG way off, but a lot of the pieces are in place.

billtm

So today I decided to go to Indianapolis the long way and during my drive I noticed something weird. Signage indicated that IN-38 ended at US-421 north of Frankfort. I thought okay I guess they got rid of the redundant section of IN-38 between south Frankfort and Kirklin. But when I was driving on US-421 through Kirklin, signage indicated that IN-38 crossed US-421 at Kirklin. So I'm assuming they only got rid of the concurrency with SR-39.
:confused:
Why create a gap in a route when you own all of the road needed to make the route continuous?

silverback1065

Quote from: billtm on December 08, 2018, 08:26:30 PM
So today I decided to go to Indianapolis the long way and during my drive I noticed something weird. Signage indicated that IN-38 ended at US-421 north of Frankfort. I thought okay I guess they got rid of the redundant section of IN-38 between south Frankfort and Kirklin. But when I was driving on US-421 through Kirklin, signage indicated that IN-38 crossed US-421 at Kirklin. So I'm assuming they only got rid of the concurrency with SR-39.
:confused:
Why create a gap in a route when you own all of the road needed to make the route continuous?

because indot loves gaps.  they did this a few years ago

monty

Funny. Some five to ten years ago, INDOT invested in new signage to make SR 19 a continuous route from Noblesville to Elkhart. Routed 19 over SR 22 & US 35 to SR 13 and then SR 18 to make the connection happen. Then this stuff happens on other routes. Hard to figure.
monty

silverback1065

I was at INDOT Greenfield District for a meeting and they had a map on the wall with all the districts projects on it.  I noticed a few random lines around some cities, clearly bypasses, they didn't have any labels though.  I noticed one around the west side of Shelbyville, i wonder if there are plans to bypass it in the future.  Or i may have looked at the map wrong.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.