News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-11 to be signed from I-215 to AZ border

Started by Sub-Urbanite, September 09, 2017, 04:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kdk

Quote from: sparker on September 19, 2017, 05:46:09 PM
Quote from: roadfro on September 18, 2017, 10:04:06 PM
Quote from: Strider on September 18, 2017, 07:49:24 PM
Should have signed the whole thing I-11 from I-15 to where it ends currently.

Makes no sense to sign it I-515 and then I-11 after I-215 interchange. IMO.

Except that the it is not yet decided that I-11 will follow existing I-515 into downtown. Makes less sense to resign the entirety of I-515 now when not all of that route is certain to carry the number permanently.

Question: is the "missing" east-quadrant leg of the 215 belt being reconsidered at this point -- or is something farther out from the city center also under consideration?  !

Looks like you weren't the only one asking-  https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/news-columns/road-warrior/215-beltway-in-las-vegas-was-never-planned-as-a-full-loop/

sparker

Quote from: 1 on September 25, 2017, 01:25:06 PM
Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on September 25, 2017, 01:23:34 PM
Random I-11 musing: How many other 2di's don't intersect any other 2di's?

Not that this is a permanent condition, but it is (in theory) an interesting bit of trivia.

I-2, I-97

That should be it.

(I-99 reaches I-86.)
Quote from: NE2 on September 25, 2017, 02:41:54 PM
I-2 ends at I-69E.

And I-69C ends at I-2.  Also, I-99 (southern segment) intersects 2 other interstate facilities  (albeit at indirect or surface-road interchanges); only the initial NY segment from the PA state line to I-86 features a high-speed interchange at the latter.

vdeane

Technically the southern I-99 ends just shy of I-80.  I'd hardly consider I-76/I-70 and I-99 both having an interchange with business US 220 close to each other to be connecting with each other.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

sparker

Quote from: vdeane on September 25, 2017, 08:49:13 PM
Technically the southern I-99 ends just shy of I-80.  I'd hardly consider I-76/I-70 and I-99 both having an interchange with business US 220 close to each other to be connecting with each other.

Neither would I -- hence the indirect term in my previous post.  It's more of an "implied" connection, FWIW, which in too many instances seems to be SOP for PA Turnpike connections.     

The Ghostbuster

Does anyone think an eastern bypass should have been built as part of the 215 Las Vegas Beltway? If so, what alignment would you have suggested it would take?

roadfro

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 28, 2017, 05:56:36 PM
Does anyone think an eastern bypass should have been built as part of the 215 Las Vegas Beltway? If so, what alignment would you have suggested it would take?

IIRC, the feasibility study that was done in the early 2000s suggested a routing that would tie into I-515 at either at I-215 or around Charleston, and mainly used a north/south alignment falling mostly on or near to either Nellis Blvd or Pecos Road, and then tied into I-15 somewhere near Nellis AFB. (I thought I had saved the file years ago, but I can't find it right now to confirm.)
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

GreenLanternCorps

mapman1071

Not that this is a permanent condition, but it is (in theory) an interesting bit of trivia.

I-76, I-81

hotdogPi

Quote from: mapman1071 on September 29, 2017, 08:37:35 PM

I-76, I-81

You're misinterpreting the question. I-81 doesn't qualify because of I-90, I-64, etc. Same with I-76 (although with different Interstates).

On the other hand, I-97 (as I mentioned earlier) intersects several 3dis, but no 2dis.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Tarkus

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on September 29, 2017, 01:18:39 PM
Any I-11 signs released into the wild yet?

Yes, as roadfro mentioned on the last page, there's one at what used to be the end of I-515 on the south side of Henderson, headed southbound.  It's right around the spot Google Maps signs as I-11.  Drove through Vegas last week and saw it myself, though as I was in the midst of driving from Reno to Phoenix (along pretty much all of what would be I-11's proposed corridor), I didn't stop to take a picture.  IIRC, the directional banner was white--it looked like a rather hasty/temporary installation.

(Side Note: There was also a rather hilarious . . . modification . . . done to a sign pointing to Bullhead City going northbound, coming out of Boulder City, along the same lines of Alps' avatar.  Also sadly didn't get a picture when I went through on Tuesday.)

michravera

Quote from: triplemultiplex on September 12, 2017, 03:03:54 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 11, 2017, 02:24:47 PM
If I was the one calling the shots on Interstate 11's route through Las Vegas, I would have it replace Interstate 515 in its entirety. I believe that would be the most logical course of action.

Agreed.  And now is the time to do it.  That way it's a single change for the entire stretch from I-15 to Arizona.

I-11's dubious future aspirations can follow US 95 the rest of the way through Vegas.

Oh, come on now! Everyone knows that the last couple of exits on US-95 into Las Vegas will be signed as I-711!

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: Tarkus on September 29, 2017, 10:27:31 PM

Yes, as roadfro mentioned on the last page, there's one at what used to be the end of I-515 on the south side of Henderson, headed southbound.  It's right around the spot Google Maps signs as I-11.  Drove through Vegas last week and saw it myself, though as I was in the midst of driving from Reno to Phoenix (along pretty much all of what would be I-11's proposed corridor), I didn't stop to take a picture.  IIRC, the directional banner was white--it looked like a rather hasty/temporary installation.

(Side Note: There was also a rather hilarious . . . modification . . . done to a sign pointing to Bullhead City going northbound, coming out of Boulder City, along the same lines of Alps' avatar.  Also sadly didn't get a picture when I went through on Tuesday.)

Cool.  And I think you are the first person on this site to clinch Interstate 11...

roadfro

Quote from: Tarkus on September 29, 2017, 10:27:31 PM

I'm in Vegas again this week, and drove out there again due to a report I saw that I-11 signs were going up. I can confirm that the above mentioned I-11 sign is still the only one up (and it does have a black-on-white direction banner, and would agree it was a probably a hasty install.

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on September 30, 2017, 02:15:36 PM
Cool.  And I think you are the first person on this site to clinch Interstate 11...

Well, I "clinched" I-11 it two weeks ago when I made that post...but that's just the southbound lanes that are open... Nobody can really clinch it now, or even the future corridor, until the bypass project is done and the corridor alignments are decided.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

capt.ron

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on September 10, 2017, 08:11:34 PM
Quote from: sparker on September 10, 2017, 07:46:35 PM
Quote from: ATLRedSoxFan on September 10, 2017, 07:38:00 PM
Has Arizona even turned a spade of dirt regarding the I-11 poroject? Sounds like I-11 will disappear at the AZ line or just over the bridge.

On that note, it'll be interesting to see if any I-11 reassurance shields are posted on the Arizona approach to the bridge as well as in Nevada.   

I haven't seen anything related to this as yet from ADOT.  AFAIK, there is only one "freeway-level" exit on the Arizona side, and that's old US 93 that goes to the AZ side of Hoover Dam.  It's been a couple of years since I was up there, but I don't recall any more than that.
I just got back from my road trip. I spotted a couple of "Future I-11" signs on US 93 after crossing into Arizona from Nevada. Pavement on the southbound lanes is rough with mostly no shoulders on either side of lanes. They will have to work on their ROW and eliminate the "bunny hills" on US 93 before it becomes I-11. Speed limit on the Arizona section from the state line to just short of I-40 is 65.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: capt.ron on October 02, 2017, 02:10:15 PM
Quote from: KeithE4Phx on September 10, 2017, 08:11:34 PM
Quote from: sparker on September 10, 2017, 07:46:35 PM
Quote from: ATLRedSoxFan on September 10, 2017, 07:38:00 PM
Has Arizona even turned a spade of dirt regarding the I-11 poroject? Sounds like I-11 will disappear at the AZ line or just over the bridge.

On that note, it'll be interesting to see if any I-11 reassurance shields are posted on the Arizona approach to the bridge as well as in Nevada.   

I haven't seen anything related to this as yet from ADOT.  AFAIK, there is only one "freeway-level" exit on the Arizona side, and that's old US 93 that goes to the AZ side of Hoover Dam.  It's been a couple of years since I was up there, but I don't recall any more than that.
I just got back from my road trip. I spotted a couple of "Future I-11" signs on US 93 after crossing into Arizona from Nevada. Pavement on the southbound lanes is rough with mostly no shoulders on either side of lanes. They will have to work on their ROW and eliminate the "bunny hills" on US 93 before it becomes I-11. Speed limit on the Arizona section from the state line to just short of I-40 is 65.

A little after the 9-11 attacks US 93 began to be upgraded north of I-40 to the Hoover Dam to an expressway.  Those narrow southbound lanes you mentioned are the original two-lane configuration of US 93, the northbound lanes are the newer construction.  Interestingly there is actually a ghost town on the Arizona side of southbound US 93 called "Santa Claus" which likely won't survive the I-11 upgrade whenever it happens.  I believe the "Future I-11" BGS has been present ever since the corridor has been designated as a future Interstate.

Sub-Urbanite

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 02, 2017, 03:03:18 PM
A little after the 9-11 attacks US 93 began to be upgraded north of I-40 to the Hoover Dam to an expressway.  Those narrow southbound lanes you mentioned are the original two-lane configuration of US 93, the northbound lanes are the newer construction.

Close, but not quite. 93 was 4-lanes from Golden Valley to just south of Willow Beach as early as 1992. The Golden Valley interchange came in in the early 2000s, and the LMNRA segment north of Willow Beach opened about the same time as the Hoover Dam Bypass.

US 95, on the other hand was rushed to 4 lanes from Boulder City to the Laughlin junction after 2001, because of the truck bypass.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on October 03, 2017, 11:20:53 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 02, 2017, 03:03:18 PM
A little after the 9-11 attacks US 93 began to be upgraded north of I-40 to the Hoover Dam to an expressway.  Those narrow southbound lanes you mentioned are the original two-lane configuration of US 93, the northbound lanes are the newer construction.

Close, but not quite. 93 was 4-lanes from Golden Valley to just south of Willow Beach as early as 1992. The Golden Valley interchange came in in the early 2000s, and the LMNRA segment north of Willow Beach opened about the same time as the Hoover Dam Bypass.

US 95, on the other hand was rushed to 4 lanes from Boulder City to the Laughlin junction after 2001, because of the truck bypass.

Probably isn't helping my memory is skewed by the stretch of US 93 from Wickenburg north to I-40.  That was about the most awful thing ever trying to cross the Hoover Dam near New Years 2001. 

Kniwt

Here it is, taken today. It's the same assembly that's been there for years, only with the "END 515" part replaced.

J N Winkler

I want to clarify the OP's comment that a "contract is out" for I-11 signing.  I have known for some time that Nevada DOT plans to do a pure signing contract to convert a length of existing freeway to I-11, but it has not been advertised yet, and I suspect the construction plans have not yet passed an early draft stage.

I have run across photologging for all 20 miles of I-515 and the existing guide signing seems quite tired, so I suspect a goal of the contract will be to replace all of the signs on I-515, those between I-215 and Railroad Pass containing pull-through messages for I-11 (where appropriate) while those between I-215 and I-15 leave room for future addition of I-11 shields depending on whether I-515 forms part of the adopted route for I-11 through Las Vegas.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

i-215

There are a couple of major issues with turning 93 between Wickenburg and I-40 into a freeway, as opposed to just a 4-lane divided highway:  A couple dozen (at least) ranch turnoffs and the town of Wikieup.

Just add a lateral exit that connects to a frontage road.  The frontage road can either dead end or, if it's a reasonable distance, connect it to the nearest cross street with a diamond. 

In either case, ranchers can use I-11 (or its frontage road) to make a U-turn at the nearest diamond if they need to left in or left out.

roadfro

Quote from: J N Winkler on October 04, 2017, 02:41:48 PM
I want to clarify the OP's comment that a "contract is out" for I-11 signing.  I have known for some time that Nevada DOT plans to do a pure signing contract to convert a length of existing freeway to I-11, but it has not been advertised yet, and I suspect the construction plans have not yet passed an early draft stage.

I have run across photologging for all 20 miles of I-515 and the existing guide signing seems quite tired, so I suspect a goal of the contract will be to replace all of the signs on I-515, those between I-215 and Railroad Pass containing pull-through messages for I-11 (where appropriate) while those between I-215 and I-15 leave room for future addition of I-11 shields depending on whether I-515 forms part of the adopted route for I-11 through Las Vegas.
JN, where did you come across a photo log? Was it something NDOT produced?

You're not wrong on the tired signage along much of existing I-515. Much of it appears to be from original freeway construction, especially the southern stretch that is to be renumbered to I-11 (if original, it dates to approximately 1994-95). Many signs north of there could date to the 80s. NDOT has done some individual sign replacements recently, but a complete overhaul for most of the signs could be in order.

I suspect if they're doing full scale BGS replacements, they might upgrade the sheeting and remove sign lighting fixtures as well. That seems to be something NDOT is gradually moving towards.

LG-D850

sparker

Quote from: i-215 on October 04, 2017, 08:06:09 PM

There are a couple of major issues with turning 93 between Wickenburg and I-40 into a freeway, as opposed to just a 4-lane divided highway:  A couple dozen (at least) ranch turnoffs and the town of Wikieup.

Just add a lateral exit that connects to a frontage road.  The frontage road can either dead end or, if it's a reasonable distance, connect it to the nearest cross street with a diamond. 

In either case, ranchers can use I-11 (or its frontage road) to make a U-turn at the nearest diamond if they need to left in or left out.

This sort of arrangement was common on the first iteration of the CA 99 (previously US 99) freeway in the San Joaquin Valley, particularly from Delano north to Fresno County.  There were a number of "virtual RIRO's", which were ramps with minimal approach and merge distances and connected to frontage roads; these were usually posted at 15mph.  The prevalence of these when the freeway was constructed in the mid-to-late 1950's and early 1960's was in essence a concession to local agricultural interests; the quasi-RIRO configuration was simply a cheap way to effect these access points -- essentially a break in the fence with minimalist ramps.  In the last 50+ years changes in the nature of agricultural operations have made many of these obsolete ramps unnecessary, so most of them have been removed (IIRC, a few remain in Tulare County, along with a set near Chowchilla).  It's still a viable concept if local access is required, but the ramp arrangement would have to meet current Interstate standards to be applied to the I-11 corridor. 

pumpkineater2

Quote from: dvferyance on September 13, 2017, 06:04:19 PM
This number makes no sense. Should be part of I-17 or at least I-13.

Maybe I-17W?  :colorful:
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

mrsman

Quote from: pumpkineater2 on October 09, 2017, 12:21:49 AM
Quote from: dvferyance on September 13, 2017, 06:04:19 PM
This number makes no sense. Should be part of I-17 or at least I-13.

Maybe I-17W?  :colorful:

I-11 cannot be part of I-17 as it is planned to eventually be built to the Phoenix area.  If I-11 only connects LV to I-40, I-17 is possible, but it would require a very long multiplex along I-40 between Kingman and Flagstaff.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.