News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Somewhat random question with no major urgency: Which route is better between I-78 west of Newark Airport and the Holland Tunnel, or vice versa–the Turnpike Extension or the Pulaski Skyway? At some point I want to use the Turnpike Extension to complete the clinch of I-78 (all I'm missing is east of Exit 14A to the route's end in New York), but other than that I was wondering which is better or "less bad"  in terms of travel time on a typical day.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

sbeaver44

I was driving on NJ 173 EB between I-78 Exit 7 and NJ 31 on Friday night.  I've clinched 173 several times before, so I know it joins I-78 between exits 13 and 15.  But I second-guessed myself because I am more familiar with WB -- the East 173 signs actually take you to the Clinton Station Diner.  The right turn before the Diner that East 173 should use to cross over I-78 is not signed for 173 East, just I-78.  Once you turn onto the bridge, there is a 173 East sign directing you to take I-78 East.

Why does the signage for East 173 continue to the Clinton Station Diner?

I'm also assuming this has something to do with why Google is very confused and thinks 173 uses Village Rd (a private road) instead of I-78.

roadman65

Quote from: sbeaver44 on December 23, 2019, 09:02:32 AM
I was driving on NJ 173 EB between I-78 Exit 7 and NJ 31 on Friday night.  I've clinched 173 several times before, so I know it joins I-78 between exits 13 and 15.  But I second-guessed myself because I am more familiar with WB -- the East 173 signs actually take you to the Clinton Station Diner.  The right turn before the Diner that East 173 should use to cross over I-78 is not signed for 173 East, just I-78.  Once you turn onto the bridge, there is a 173 East sign directing you to take I-78 East.

I'm also assuming this has something to do with why Google is very confused and thinks 173 uses Village Rd (a private road) instead of I-78.
Probably for the same reason why US 58 is hardly signed in Virginia Beach and why US 64 is not signed in AR along I-49 in the NW AR metro area.   People overlook and if no one complains, engineers will not fix the issue.

Try writing to NJDOT as I have in the past and received responses and action done like the NJ 94 North mileage sign on NJ 94 on the curve above I-80 in Columbia.  I got them to move that sign to a safer place. 

With email now, you should have no problem.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 23, 2019, 07:53:40 AM
Somewhat random question with no major urgency: Which route is better between I-78 west of Newark Airport and the Holland Tunnel, or vice versa–the Turnpike Extension or the Pulaski Skyway? At some point I want to use the Turnpike Extension to complete the clinch of I-78 (all I'm missing is east of Exit 14A to the route's end in New York), but other than that I was wondering which is better or "less bad"  in terms of travel time on a typical day.

Depends on the day, honestly. If there's an accident on one, but not the other, volume on Tonnelle Ave which will back up the Skyway, issues near the toll plaza at 14C, volume exiting at 14A which is a major cause of NBHCE backups, all of it can make one route or the other vastly faster to get to the Holland. I generally stick with the Skyway when I can, I've always found better luck in terms of fewer backups and it saves a toll to boot.

roadman65

Quote from: storm2k on December 23, 2019, 10:35:45 AM
Somewhat random question with no major urgency: Which route is better between I-78 west of Newark Airport and the Holland Tunnel, or vice versa—the Turnpike Extension or the Pulaski Skyway? At some point I want to use the Turnpike Extension to complete the clinch of I-78 (all I’m missing is east of Exit 14A to the route’s end in New York), but other than that I was wondering which is better or “less bad” in terms of travel time on a typical day.

Depends on the day, honestly. If there's an accident on one, but not the other, volume on Tonnelle Ave which will back up the Skyway, issues near the toll plaza at 14C, volume exiting at 14A which is a major cause of NBHCE backups, all of it can make one route or the other vastly faster to get to the Holland. I generally stick with the Skyway when I can, I've always found better luck in terms of fewer backups and it saves a toll to boot.
To note both have the same number of signals after they end.  I think Waze might tell you at the time which is the better route to take as conditions do prevail and change like the weather and time of day.

Sheryl Crowe

ixnay

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 23, 2019, 06:06:35 AM
Quote from: ixnay on December 23, 2019, 05:46:18 AM
I imagine you can count the number of white, (almost) square NJ county road shields still deployed on one's hands.  I vaguely remember them.

ixnay

Nah. I know Camden County has numerous white shields.  On some roads they may be combined with 5 sided shields, but they still have a lot of the older shields down there.

Can you link for us an example from GSV?

ixnay

Alps

Checked the Straight Line Diagrams... but it appears that the piece that continues on the north side of 78 is actually 173Z (WB only). So signage is incorrect. https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/refdata/sldiag/00000173Z_-.pdf https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/refdata/sldiag/00000173__-.pdf

Alps

During morning rush hour, Turnpike is usually better based on traffic reports. Otherwise, it's generally better due to construction along the general 1&9/139 corridor, but not always.

Alps

I imagine you can count the number of white, (almost) square NJ county road shields still deployed on one's hands.  I vaguely remember them.

ixnay

Nah. I know Camden County has numerous white shields.  On some roads they may be combined with 5 sided shields, but they still have a lot of the older shields down there.
Bergen has more left than you'd think, actually. I've seen a lot of Camden's disappearing but Bergen's are hanging on longer. Just drove CR 6 and it had a solid half dozen.

TheGrassGuy

PSA to visitors to Bergen County, NJ:

Don't go pentagon hunting for 600 routes. You won't find any. (OK, you might find some mounted overhead on or near state routes, but that's all.)

PSA for visitors to Hudson County, NJ:

Don't go pentagon hunting at all. You won't find a single one.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: ekt8750 on October 02, 2019, 02:43:39 PM
The Creek Rd interchange is a right-in/right-out on both sides. Big no no.
Exit 16B and 18 on I-295
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ekt8750 on October 02, 2019, 02:43:39 PM
The Creek Rd interchange is a right-in/right-out on both sides. Big no no.

Certainly not up to modern interstate standards, but it's also not an interstate.  Also, they're relocating the RIRO on 42 North; it'll still be similar to a RIRO but with much longer approach/storage areas.

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on December 24, 2019, 08:10:05 AM
Exit 16B and 18 on I-295

Exit 18 is a regular interchange.  There's a RIRO on the Northbound ramp for Exit 18, but that's on/off the ramp so no issues there. 

Exits 15, 16A and 16B are the remaining RIROs on 295 in that area.  During a reconstruction project several years ago, they at least lengthened the acceleration/deceleration lanes.

NE2

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on December 24, 2019, 08:07:54 AM
PSA for visitors to Hudson County, NJ:

Don't go pentagon hunting at all. You won't find a single one.
Wrong.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

sbeaver44

Quote from: Alps on December 24, 2019, 12:45:25 AM

Checked the Straight Line Diagrams... but it appears that the piece that continues on the north side of 78 is actually 173Z (WB only). So signage is incorrect. https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/refdata/sldiag/00000173Z_-.pdf https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/refdata/sldiag/00000173__-.pdf
Thanks!  Very interesting.  I forgot NJ has great SLDs.

roadman65

Why is Exit 1 on I-280 signed for Edwards Road.  Being that road only dumps you out on Route 46 EB where New Road is more direct (and quicker) to US 46.  Plus Edwards is the side road as the ramp leads to New Road. 

Another thing that Ridgedale Avenue never got mentioned ever for that.  New Road was added when ( I presume when NJDOT made that interchange a full access) but not Ridgedale which is a major road as it heads into East Hanover and Florham Park. 

Not that I am nit picking, but that sign on I-280 even in the 80's was always striking me odd then, but not enough to warrant a major complaint like some on here, but always curious.

Sheryl Crowe

artmalk

Quote from: roadman65 on December 24, 2019, 05:10:22 PM
Why is Exit 1 on I-280 signed for Edwards Road.  Being that road only dumps you out on Route 46 EB where New Road is more direct (and quicker) to US 46.  Plus Edwards is the side road as the ramp leads to New Road. 

Another thing that Ridgedale Avenue never got mentioned ever for that.  New Road was added when ( I presume when NJDOT made that interchange a full access) but not Ridgedale which is a major road as it heads into East Hanover and Florham Park. 

Not that I am nit picking, but that sign on I-280 even in the 80's was always striking me odd then, but not enough to warrant a major complaint like some on here, but always curious.

I have lived in Parsippany all my life!  The old sign was replaced years ago.  Going west the sign reads "To 46 Edwards Road New Road."   Eastbound signs say the same but omit the "To 46.".  I agree that the old sign for New Road only was incorrect and I even said so on my website since my old office was right on New Road.  I think the signs are OK as is, but how about a supplemental BGS "Ridgedale Ave. East Hanover, Florham Park - Use Exit 1."

roadman65

Quote from: artmalk on December 24, 2019, 07:28:08 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on December 24, 2019, 05:10:22 PM

Yes that would work too.

I have lived in Parsippany all my life!  The old sign was replaced years ago.  Going west the sign reads "To 46 Edwards Road New Road."   Eastbound signs say the same but omit the "To 46.".  I agree that the old sign for New Road only was incorrect and I even said so on my website since my old office was right on New Road.  I think the signs are OK as is, but how about a supplemental BGS "Ridgedale Ave. East Hanover, Florham Park - Use Exit 1."

Yes that would work well as Rigdedale is a busy road and worthy of being published.

Also does anybody here remember when Ocean Grove in Monmouth County did not allow cars to be driven on Sunday?  I am guessing that had to with the religious group that ran the  community from Neptune who is the municipal government for that which is located in its township limits.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadgeek Adam

Ocean Grove and the religious group (The Ocean Grove Campmeeting Association) that ran it had incredible power back then. The New York and Long Branch Railroad, now the North Jersey Coast Line, would not allow Sunday service within the Asbury Park limits. (Asbury Park station was Asbury Park-Ocean Grove for a long time.) First the railroad got them to relent to stop at North Asbury Park station then finally in 1911, they released power to stopping at AP-OG station. They owned the land the station was on until 1912 when they gave it up.

The Ocean Grove Campmeeting Association, which had that ban, lost a court ruling in the State Supreme Court that they'd have to allow driving on their roads as of June 24, 1979. Despite that, Neptune would enforce an ordinance banning parking anywhere on Sundays. A year later, that was killed in a court of law. Of course, the Campmeetings Association claimed that they were doing it to prevent people doing mechanical work in the street.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

odditude

Quote from: ixnay on December 23, 2019, 04:03:27 PM

ixnay

ixnay

CR 543 / Kings Highway in Haddonfield, for one.

ixnay

Quote from: odditude on December 25, 2019, 03:24:02 PM

ixnay

ixnay

Wow.  And if you rotate 180 degrees, you'll see the nice white blade for Haddon Ave/CR 561.

Multiplexed in that stretch with "Temporary" NJ 41, at least in July 2018.  Did this signage have anything to do with the conversion of the Ellisburg Circle into jughandles (with NJDOT forgetting to retrieve the NJ 41 markings)?

ixnay

Alps

Quote from: ixnay on December 25, 2019, 07:01:13 PM
Quote from: odditude on December 25, 2019, 03:24:02 PM

ixnay

ixnay

Wow.  And if you rotate 180 degrees, you'll see the nice white blade for Haddon Ave/CR 561.

Multiplexed in that stretch with "Temporary" NJ 41, at least in July 2018.  Did this signage have anything to do with the conversion of the Ellisburg Circle into jughandles (with NJDOT forgetting to retrieve the NJ 41 markings)?

ixnay
Temporary 41? It was signed that way when they were starting to build what's now 154 (Brace Rd.). Once they realized that would never be completed, they left Temporary 41 on CR 573 and gradually turned it into regular 41. (You won't even find 573 in the SLDs anymore.)

jeffandnicole

ixnay

ixnay

Apologies for the delay.

A few more:

https://goo.gl/maps/UUwzQcTSFn17xYd56

https://goo.gl/maps/prACudgqk7JdZrMX7

https://goo.gl/maps/Rw2NYSvYbxMVWpx68

ixnay

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 26, 2019, 10:47:14 AM

ixnay

ixnay

Apologies for the delay.

A few more:

https://goo.gl/maps/UUwzQcTSFn17xYd56

https://goo.gl/maps/prACudgqk7JdZrMX7

https://goo.gl/maps/Rw2NYSvYbxMVWpx68

No problem.

As for the old gen shields, as long as we can read them, more power to the signing authorities. :)

ixnay

jeffandnicole

https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/uploads/comm/news/details/comm_np_20191223_151200_2019-12-23_NJDOT_Announces_511NJConnect_Stranded_Motorist_Alert_System.pdf

NJDOT will send text alerts to anyone in a specific area in which the roadway they are on is closed ahead and may not open for a period of time.  Per the press-release, the initial message is automatic; after that to continue receiving messages they can opt-in.  This is a per-incident service; once the incident is cleared they won't receive additional text messages.  This appears to pertain to extended closures; motorists standing still due to expected short closures related to construction or crash where the roadway will open up relatively quickly probably won't receive any notifications.

artmalk

Quote from: Alps on December 24, 2019, 12:46:05 AM

During morning rush hour, Turnpike is usually better based on traffic reports. Otherwise, it's generally better due to construction along the general 1&9/139 corridor, but not always.

It sometimes seems that every NYC traffic report ends with "Turnpike Extension better than 1&9"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.