News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on February 18, 2020, 01:02:32 PM
Do people yet call Route 495 as such or do they still refer to it as Route 3?   

NJ folks are as funny as those in MA who won't accept MA 128 as I-95 at times.  Even traffic reports were calling Route 139 as One and Nine and if the tunnel backed up it would be "The One and Nine approach to the Holland Tunnel is a mess" and that was long after the Business routes got cancelled.   I heard it changed now since I left, but I bet many still thing I-78 ends at the Turnpike and have no clue it goes with the Newark Bay Extension and through the Tunnel into Manhattan.

Yes the underscore I like and yes CR 529 should be in the sign itself.  I wish too that I-78 would have more shields from Route 22 though as many roads between the two exist and if Route 78 were the Parkway and Turnpike it would be signed too well along Route 22.  Seems toll roads get shields everywhere for some reason, but nearby interstates do not.

In Springfield along NJ 124 lacks a ramp to I-78 E Bound due to the cancelled I-278 that would have tied in there, but at Vauxhall Road you think that NJDOT would sign a TO I-78 East shield there to compensate.  No!  If it were me I would sign a TO I-78 Shield on EB NJ 124 at the ramp to WB I-78 and again at Vauxhall.  Going WB I-78 East would have a TO shield at Vauxhall as well.  I would even sign a TO I-78 EAST assembly along NJ 82 at Liberty Avenue to direct motorists to EB 78 from NJ 124 where I-78 WEST is plentiful signed.

NJ has many good signing practices even though many places could see improvement like regular mileage signs on its interstates instead of small all caps signs denoting townships not on the map as the control cities.  Ewing for I-295 N Bound sucks as well as Solebury, PA on US 202 SB in Raritan.  I think New Hope would better fit in the latter as more people heard of New Hope as no one has ever heard of Solebury, PA including map publishers.

They're better at actually signing NJ139 these days, but you'll still hear the traffic shorthand as "the 1-9 approach". For the Lincoln, I think most people think of it as 495 at this point but there are always going to be old heads who call it the Route 3 approach.

interstate73

Quote from: roadman65 on February 18, 2020, 01:02:32 PM
Do people yet call Route 495 as such or do they still refer to it as Route 3?   

Yeah in my experience people typically call that stretch either "495" or "the Lincoln Tunnel Approach" (or just "the Helix" for the immediate tunnel approach). Never heard it called "3".
🎶 Man, there’s an opera on the Turnpike 🎶

Morris County if the Route 178 Freeway had been built:

roadman65

Well  I am now glad that under the new signage the NJTA finally got it right and  is now signed NJ 495 at 16E and 17 on the Turnpike after 5 decades of just using NJ 3 on the guides for those exits. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Pete from Boston

Quote from: royo6022 on February 13, 2020, 08:50:16 AM
Hey guys, I've never been to New Jersey/New York area but I will be traveling through there here in a few weeks and was wondering if there were any roads I should avoid currently? I am traveling from Indiana to the South of Brooklyn.

Avoid 80/95 into the GWB. Also, 80/95 doesn't really exist but people believe it has. Stay off the Cross Bronx, but don't *get off* the Cross Bronx. The Holland Tunnel backs up at all hours. The Lincoln dumps you into uncountable traffic points afterward. The Staten Island Expressway was horrible due to years of construction, which fortunately ended. This has allowed the construction to start over. It's a good idea to avoid it, except that there are no alternatives. The BQE is great, other than weekdays, and weekends when it's not 5 to 7 am. From there the Prospect Expressway would be your best route except it ends before it ever gets anywhere. Hope this helps.

Alps

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 25, 2020, 12:16:43 AM
Hey guys, I've never been to New Jersey/New York area but I will be traveling through there here in a few weeks and was wondering if there were any roads I should avoid currently? I am traveling from Indiana to the South of Brooklyn.

Avoid 80/95 into the GWB. Also, 80/95 doesn't really exist but people believe it has. Stay off the Cross Bronx, but don't *get off* the Cross Bronx. The Holland Tunnel backs up at all hours. The Lincoln dumps you into uncountable traffic points afterward. The Staten Island Expressway was horrible due to years of construction, which fortunately ended. This has allowed the construction to start over. It's a good idea to avoid it, except that there are no alternatives. The BQE is great, other than weekdays, and weekends when it's not 5 to 7 am. From there the Prospect Expressway would be your best route except it ends before it ever gets anywhere. Hope this helps.
so, more realistically, to get from PA to Brooklyn, take 78 into the Holland Tunnel. (From I-80: 287 south to 24 east) Do not do this from 6 AM-9:30 AM weekdays. Take the exit that points toward NY 9A. Get to the West Side Highway, make a left onto West Street. Make another left at Exit 1 (I think) into the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel. That will take you straight into Brooklyn relatively stress-free. Go straight onto I-278 South, then take the Prospect Expressway/27 exit and head straight down Ocean Parkway to your destination.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Alps on February 25, 2020, 12:33:37 AM

so, more realistically, to get from PA to Brooklyn, take 78 into the Holland Tunnel. (From I-80: 287 south to 24 east) Do not do this from 6 AM-9:30 AM weekdays. Take the exit that points toward NY 9A. Get to the West Side Highway, make a left onto West Street. Make another left at Exit 1 (I think) into the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel. That will take you straight into Brooklyn relatively stress-free. Go straight onto I-278 South, then take the Prospect Expressway/27 exit and head straight down Ocean Parkway to your destination.

In fairness, most of what I said is painfully realistic, but also in fairness, Alps's advice is much more useful.

Alps

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 25, 2020, 01:46:53 AM

In fairness, most of what I said is painfully realistic, but also in fairness, Alps's advice is much more useful.
Don't trust a guy with Boston in his name to discuss NY fairly. :D  Traffic is not that bad on my described route for most hours of the day, but "not that bad" from the perspective of a lifer

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Alps on February 25, 2020, 07:00:02 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 25, 2020, 01:46:53 AM

Don't trust a guy with Boston in his name to discuss NY fairly. :D  Traffic is not that bad on my described route for most hours of the day, but "not that bad" from the perspective of a lifer

Fair conclusion, but I am an exiled Jersey boy that has never in my life had the luxury of not having to drive regularly to New York.

roadwaywiz95

I am pleased to announce the next installment in my ongoing "Online Road Meet" series, which will take place on Saturday March 14, with the live stream kicking off at 1 PM ET. Yours truly will be joined by forum members "Alps", "Ian", and "dgolub" as we give you folks a tour of many notable road-related landmarks in the Atlantic City/Ocean City, NJ vicinity. We are looking forward to having you join us!

A copy of the meet itinerary we'll be following can be found here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u4tv1wcevh1zx0i/Atlantic%20City%20Road%20Meet%20Itinerary.docx?dl=0

A link to our live stream location can be found here:
Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

Alps

Update on Routes 3&46: Clearing is well underway along the Valley Road/3/46 ramps and 3 median. Phase 2 is going forward.

seicer

I was in Jersey City yesterday for photography (worm moon over Manhattan) and Liberty State Park was fairly barren for a warm Monday evening. The ferries from Manhattan were also not packed - some were running half empty or nearly empty. Likewise, traffic along the Turnpike - while crowded, was not a disaster for rush hour.

simon

I'm sorry if someone's noticed this before... but...

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.9239225,-75.0906845,3a,20.6y,177.47h,89.3t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1simhTiY_dS0QJhg5b1zV-Sg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Not only is the US-611 shield back,  but it's inverted.

TheGrassGuy

If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

sbeaver44

Quote from: simon on March 14, 2020, 03:23:34 AM
I'm sorry if someone's noticed this before... but...

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.9239225,-75.0906845,3a,20.6y,177.47h,89.3t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1simhTiY_dS0QJhg5b1zV-Sg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Not only is the US-611 shield back,  but it's inverted.
First time I drove by there I stopped to take a pic of that 611 sign. Would have been during the final game of the 2015 World Series as I was listening on the radio.

J3ebrules

Quote from: seicer on March 10, 2020, 11:10:55 AM
I was in Jersey City yesterday for photography (worm moon over Manhattan) and Liberty State Park was fairly barren for a warm Monday evening. The ferries from Manhattan were also not packed - some were running half empty or nearly empty. Likewise, traffic along the Turnpike - while crowded, was not a disaster for rush hour.

Think that's because of schools and businesses shutting down and folks social distancing?
Honestly, this would be the prime perfect time to get some serious roadwork done in these high-volume areas.
Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike - they’ve all come to look for America! (Simon & Garfunkel)

Rothman

Heh.  One issue facing DOTs is that engineers may not be able to get PS&E packages done at home due to the system requirements.  A tremendous slowing of project development could be a result of the virus if it gets that bad and the effects to the public may not be recognized until those lettings do not occur a year or two down the road.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

Quote from: Rothman on March 15, 2020, 01:23:17 AM
Heh.  One issue facing DOTs is that engineers may not be able to get PS&E packages done at home due to the system requirements.  A tremendous slowing of project development could be a result of the virus if it gets that bad and the effects to the public may not be recognized until those lettings do not occur a year or two down the road.
I think IT might be working on some form of remote desktop after the VDI fiasco Wednesday night.  I noticed my computer now has the computer name/user name/IP address/etc. display on the top right that the VDI instances have.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on March 15, 2020, 09:17:39 PM
Quote from: Rothman on March 15, 2020, 01:23:17 AM
I think IT might be working on some form of remote desktop after the VDI fiasco Wednesday night.  I noticed my computer now has the computer name/user name/IP address/etc. display on the top right that the VDI instances have.
Yes, you can remote into your desktop, but engineers are still saying their local processing power is inadequate.

And heck, I doubt design document sign-offs have even been totally worked out. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

storm2k

I've been driving past this every day since I moved and I finally got a picture of this:

A very rare non-reflective button copy sign. On the Exit 26 offramp from 287 SB. Dunno how this has survived for this long.

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on March 18, 2020, 06:45:44 PM
I've been driving past this every day since I moved and I finally got a picture of this:

A very rare non-reflective button copy sign. On the Exit 26 offramp from 287 SB. Dunno how this has survived for this long.
Exit ramps don't exist. Check out I-280 EB Exit 11.

storm2k

Quote from: Alps on March 19, 2020, 12:49:37 AM
Quote from: storm2k on March 18, 2020, 06:45:44 PM

Exit ramps don't exist. Check out I-280 EB Exit 11.

It's actually weird because most of the other signs on that ramp are of relatively new vintage. The sign at the gore point to go either right or left at the bottom of this ramp has a very recent LGS with retroflectivity and mixed case lettering. Yet, this guy wasn't touched. And I do know the Central Ave sign off the 280 ramp, which I suppose will be there until it falls down and then never be replaced with anything.

simon

I-78 circa 1961,  2 lanes and sans US-22.

Screencapped from

TheGrassGuy

13:09. You're welcome.

And I don't get the "sans US-22" part.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

storm2k

On NJ.com today: No traffic in N.J due to coronavirus shutdown? Time for some roadwork, state officials say.

QuoteNew Jersey is one of several states taking advantage of reduced commuter traffic due to coronavirus non-essential travel bans by starting highway construction projects earlier in the day and doing work longer.

QuoteDuring the day, roadwork on state highways can start as early as 8 a.m. and end at 4 p.m., rather than the regular 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. time period he said.

"Overnight work may start an hour earlier and end an hour later as well, and those times vary depending on the project location," Schapiro said. "This will hopefully allow our construction contractors to stay on their construction schedules and perhaps get ahead."

Not surprising to me. I've seen crews on both 287 and 80 doing guardrail replacement all week on my way to and from work. Might as well get the extra time in because traffic volumes are extremely low even in peak rush hours. It also looks like they're starting some mill and overlay work on 287 in the Morristown area. That is usually a congestion nightmare, so may as well get it done now while it's easier to close lanes.

jeffandnicole

Yep - it appears they can take advantage of better timing and longer working environments, although it's important to note that the article indicated that this will allow for longer working periods during the day, but not 24 hour lane closures in many cases.  I noticed at the 295/76/42 project, they're going to close a ramp from 5am to 10am on Saturday.  Usually that would've been an overnight closure.

It's also important to note what a lot of people don't understand or get, even here in the roadgeek community.  The current crisis doesn't mean Transportation Departments can go hog-wild and suddenly pave or widen entire highways.  There's still an entire process that is undertaken to get a project from concept to construction, and that takes years.   It also takes money.  Guess what - state revenues are down.  Guess what - gas tax revenues are down.  In the long run, this is probably going to mean, country-wide, fewer projects getting constructed, not more projects and faster timelines. 

If a project has already been funded and started, the lighter traffic should help them.  But also, there's a whole network of goods and services that contractors supply to those doing the work.  Let's say there's a bridge construction project going on.  If a steel plant is closed due to the crisis, they can't make the I beams needed for the new bridge, so that project ain't gonna move any faster anyway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.