News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Closed Exits

Started by Shades101, December 07, 2013, 12:29:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilpt4u

Quote from: X99 on November 03, 2019, 01:19:37 AM
Quote from: SteveG1988 on November 03, 2019, 01:18:13 AM
Quote from: ilpt4u on November 03, 2019, 12:19:33 AM
https://goo.gl/maps/KSDVFymHkv3guVpZ6

Don't think I saw this one, looking through the old posts in this thread

Pretty sure there used to be a South I-55 Exit to IL 129 South. It is still Graded and the old Flyover Piers are still along I-55 North. Heck, IL 129 South may very well have been Old US 66?

Also, from the Satellite image, there also appears to have previously been a U-turn from I-55 North to I-55 South, just north of the Entrance ramp from IL 129 North to I-55 North - I assume this was for traffic from IL 129 to reach I-55 South

That exit was closed due to the overpass crumbling years ago. it may be rebuilt in the future.
I thought it was because they cancelled the Illiana Expressway which was supposed to start at that interchange.
That would be a goofy spot to begin the Illiana...I would do it just north of the I-55 Kankakee River crossing, to avoid building another river crossing and avoid the town of Wilmington

I'm trying to decided if I remember when that Overpass and the U-turn were both still there...

kurumi

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on November 02, 2019, 03:57:21 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on November 01, 2019, 10:40:30 PM
Others in CT: 

US 5/CT 15 (Berlin Turnpike): Direct ramp from Turnpike SB to 72 (now 372) EB removed with CT 9 construction.  Traffic for CT 372 East now must use Worthington Ridge.  Ramp area is now a jughandle for access to CT 9 South.

I would really love to find photos of this interchange before CT Route 9 went in nearby. Just west of all that is Frontage Road, which gives access to/from CT Route 9 North. I believe the part between those ramps and Webster Square Road (in front of the Picture Show movie theaters) was done in the mid-1980s. An auto dealer is on the other side of the street today.

From Aerial survey of Connecticut 1965 photograph 03426 (I'm glad the link is still alive)

Connecticut sure does love those non-symmetric interchanges. You can also see traces of the original 1942 interchange alignment (before the 1962 freeway to the west).

Smaller pic and context on my Route 72 page.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

crispy93

Don't know if these were mentioned, but there are two in lower Manhattan. Exit 6 on the southbound FDR used to be 15th St, but it was closed after 9/11 since it runs through a ConEd power substation and the signs were removed in 2016. One exit for Park Row coming off the Brooklyn Bridge has also been closed since 9/11
Not every speed limit in NY needs to be 30

mgk920

Quote from: crispy93 on November 04, 2019, 09:50:32 AM
Don't know if these were mentioned, but there are two in lower Manhattan. Exit 6 on the southbound FDR used to be 15th St, but it was closed after 9/11 since it runs through a ConEd power substation and the signs were removed in 2016. One exit for Park Row coming off the Brooklyn Bridge has also been closed since 9/11

That latter closure, along with a bunch of other streets in that area, is because they are all too close to the NYPD headquarters building.

Mike

wanderer2575

Technically not a closed exit, but might as well be:  Northbound M-10 (Lodge Freeway) exit 14A to Northland Mall.  This really is one exit ramp that forks at the top, but it's designated and signed as two exits.  The left fork (14B) merges into the service drive, while the right fork (14A) crossed the service drive to the Northland entrance.  When the mall closed, the entrance was removed but that part of the exit ramp and the signing have not been.

epzik8

Recently, in Baltimore, the ramp from I-895 north to Holabird Avenue was removed as part of construction.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

US 89

You'd never guess from driving through it today, but there was an Exit 125 on I-15 in central Utah that was completely closed and removed in 2003. Here it is in 1993...compared to how it looks today. Other than the fact that there wasn't much of anything off this exit, I have no idea why it was removed.

planxtymcgillicuddy

Quote from: US 89 on November 23, 2019, 12:03:56 PM
You'd never guess from driving through it today, but there was an Exit 125 on I-15 in central Utah that was completely closed and removed in 2003. Here it is in 1993...compared to how it looks today. Other than the fact that there wasn't much of anything off this exit, I have no idea why it was removed.

According to Wikipedia, it served as a ranch exit. My guess would be the owner of said ranch died, and as a result, the ranch went by the wayside.

And just north of said closed exit, there is an abandoned rest area, though it appears it was bare-bones.
It's easy to be easy when you're easy...

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?

TheGrassGuy

There used to be an abandoned cloverleaf loop at the interchange between I-78 and I-287. But there was recently some construction there on the EB-NB loop, and the new ramp used up the loop.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

US 89

Quote from: planxtymcgillicuddy on November 23, 2019, 06:13:59 PM
Quote from: US 89 on November 23, 2019, 12:03:56 PM

According to Wikipedia, it served as a ranch exit. My guess would be the owner of said ranch died, and as a result, the ranch went by the wayside.

"Ranch Exit" is just the traditional name in Utah for an exit that doesn't go anywhere. Most of them have been renamed now, but a few do still remain, including one on I-80 in Parleys Canyon where there is almost certainly no ranching activity.

silveradoman298

"Call me a prisoner of the highway
Driven on by my restless soul
I'm a prisoner of the highway
Imprisoned by the freedom of the road"

amroad17

Quote from: silveradoman298 on February 13, 2020, 07:39:11 PM
Did anyone mention the 3rd street ramp to I-75/I-71 South in Cincinnati that has a closed ramp stub??

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0983317,-84.5190541,3a,75y,355.17h,77.96t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sXQizVIqK4ag8AArobS3JLg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Before this interchange was reconfigured due to the Ft. Washington Way project nearly 20 years ago, that ramp was the South I-71 to North I-75 ramp.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

amroad17

Quote from: lepidopteran on January 08, 2014, 07:09:07 PM
On I-75 NB in Covington, KY, there used to be an exit for Jefferson Ave.  When you approached it from the south during the '80s, the advance BGSs for that exit were all intact, but had the word CLOSED in larger white letters on green background, right about where the "1 MILE" or whatever would be.  Appeared a bit odd, yes.  The exit itself, of course, was barricaded off.

Someone told me the reason for the exit's closure.  The exit was at the bottom of a hill, and there might have been braking issues and such.  But this was not just any hill -- I think this one was infamously known as "Suicide Hill" or something, since the hill made a precarious S-curve on the way down, causing untold trouble for tractor-trailers.  (I was also told that the truckers refused to take the newer/safer I-275 bypass instead due to the longer distance; can't say I blame them. More likely, it was the trucking companies that refused the drivers the extra time and mileage.)  There was even a runaway truck ramp at the bottom of the hill at one point, rare for such a developed area.  This was the kind with a huge pile of pebble-gravel, with plenty of those yellow drums full of sand at the end.  When the hill was finally straightened in the '90s, the exit was eliminated entirely.  I think there's a swale following the route of the NB off-ramp, but that's about it.  In fact, there is now a hospital located within part of the interchange's footprint!

Another possible reason for the exit's closure was that it was basically an overbuilt interchange leading to a pair of residential streets.  Note its 1968 appearance:
http://www.historicaerials.com/aerials.php?scale=8E-06&lat=39.0716978868713&lon=-84.5182641298833&year=1968
I live about two miles from that section of I-75.  I see what is currently built, look at these Historic Aerials, and wonder who the engineer was that developed the original I-75 construction through the Covington cut-in-the-hill.  I guess he did not want to destroy some of the hills (which ended up getting partly blasted through in the early 1990's).

I am probably being a bit lazy, as I do not really want to read through six other pages of posts, but, if this has not already been mentioned, there used to be an interchange on I-75 just south of current Exit 164 (where the current Allen Twp 109 is today).  It was Exit 83-Mortimer when Ohio used sequential interchange numbers.  You can see the outline of a diamond interchange there when viewing through Google Maps.  Looking through Street View, you can see the outline very clearly.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.