News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Balto-Wash

Started by Alps, July 03, 2014, 11:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

What have I not seen in this corridor? Throw at me your hidden gems, things you think no one else knows about. I'm tapped out.

TheOneKEA

Quote from: Alps on July 03, 2014, 11:34:16 PM
What have I not seen in this corridor? Throw at me your hidden gems, things you think no one else knows about. I'm tapped out.

If you are asking about road-related gems, there is the Old Columbia Road bridge across the Middle Patuxent River, next to US 29. It's a single-arch single-lane span that appears to date to the mid-1950s. In addition, there's the many disconnected segments of the roads that once crossed the WSSC and Baltimore City DPW reservoirs, some of which were once maintained by the Maryland SRC. Some of the old roadbeds are now fire roads that are open to the public, and some even have traces of asphalt.

If you are asking about other transportation gems, there are dozens of railroad artifacts in Patapsco Valley State Park, dating back to the mid-1830s, that mark the original construction of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. Many of these artifacts are still in use today by the CSX Old Main Line Subdivision.

Alps

I see several reservoirs, but where are the fire roads? And I'm unclear on "artifacts" - I see one rail line through the Patapsco park.

cpzilliacus

Railroad bridges:

Thomas Viaduct over the Patapsco River near Relay, Baltimore County, Maryland.  According to Wikipedia, one of the oldest railroad bridges in the U.S. still used by railroad traffic.

Bollman Truss Bridge over the Middle Patuxent River in Savage, Howard County, Md.  According to Wikipedia, this gem is the last Bollman bridge left.

Highway stuff:

If you have not been down this way since before January 2014, the new Maryland House is worth a stop.

EDIT:  Maryland 32 between Md. 108 and Sykesville could be worth a detour for the following reasons:

(1) A road that really wants to be a freeway (or at least a Super-2) but cannot really make up its mind;
(2) An assortment of signs between I-70 and Sykesville warning drivers of left-turning traffic; and
(3) The old (now abandoned) bridge that carried Md. 32 over the Patapsco River has an unusual feature - most of the structural metal is aluminum, not steel (and that is why it is no longer carrying traffic).

Bridge that carries I-495 (Capital Beltway) over the Northwest Branch of the Anacostia River (long walk to reach), highest bridge on the entire Beltway, some details here.

Bridge that carries Md. 200 over the upper mainstem of Rock Creek (fairly long walk to reach via the ICC Trail, map here).

Bridge that carries Md. 200 over the Paint Branch, impressive because of the environmental protections designed in to this bridge, including its "humpback" shape, unusual for a freeway bridge in Maryland.  No good map for access, though I know how to reach it.

Bridge that carries bike and pedestrian traffic (only) over the same Paint Branch.

Union Arch Bridge over Md. 495X (Cabin John Parkway) is impressive in many ways.  Wikipedia entry has the details.

Md. 195 (Carroll Avenue) Bridge over Sligo Creek is not huge, but impressive anyway.  I think SHA is going to be letting a contract to rehabilitate this structure soon.

Talbot Avenue Bridge over the CSX Metropolitan Subdivision is an old wood-deck structure.

The Governor's Bridge, located on Governor Bridge Road over the Patuxent River between Bowie, Prince George's County and Davdisonville, Anne Arundel County was built (according to Wikipedia) by the governor to ease travel between his home (in present-day Bowie) and Annapolis.

Disused right-of-way for I-95 (Center Leg Freeway) off of Sargent Road, N.E. in Washington, D.C.

Zoo Tunnel under the National Zoo and the series of impressive bridges over the Rock Creek stream valley in Northwest Washington (Google Routing here - warning - one-way south in A.M., one-way north in P.M. weekdays).

EDIT:  The "Humpback" Bridge that carries the George Washington Memorial Parkway over the (unmarked) Virginia/D.C. border was recently reconstructed, and has excellent pedestrian access from the southbound side of the Parkway.  Park in the large lot on Columbia Island.

Perhaps the only remaining ford on a public road in the D.C. area - you can take West Old Baltimore Road off of Md. 121 and cross 10 Mile Creek (if the water is not too high) without a bridge.

Blocked-off bridge that used to carry Va. 600 (Gunston Cove Road) over the CSX (ex-RF&P) tracks.

Drive through a U.S. Marine Corps base to reach a municipality that is landlocked by the Marines (the only way to reach it without crossing USMC (or more accurately, U.S. Navy) land is through Maryland on a boat).

EDIT:  If you want a look at the I-95 HOV toll lane construction project from above (and it's not far from Quantico, the stop above), check out the view from the new Va. 637 bridge, Telegraph Road (reach off of U.S. 1).

EDIT:  Loudoun County, Va. has a collection of three roundabouts at the intersection of U.S. 50 (John Mosby Highway) and U.S. 15 (James Monroe James Madison Highway) at Gilberts Corner.  These roundabouts replaced a signal that featured heavy peak-period congestion, in part because there was a lot of demand for left turns.

If you want to take a detour to West Virginia, almost any day is a nice day for the eastern part of ADHS Corridor H. Near the easternmost part of the Mountaineer State is Relocated W.Va. 9.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

ixnay

Landmarks?

How about the dearly departed Freestate Raceway on U.S. 1 between Savage and Laurel?  I drove by it one Sunday in 1983 down from Philly (I lived in that area at the time) to visit steprelatives in NoVA.  I remember the billboard with the blonde horse driver and the copy "Horseplay After Dark"!  :spin:

ixnay

The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: ixnay on July 05, 2014, 09:33:56 AM
Landmarks?

How about the dearly departed afaik Freestate Raceway on U.S. 1 between Savage and Laurel?  I drove by it one Sunday in 1993 down from Philly (I lived in that area at the time) to visit steprelatives in NoVA.  I remember the billboard with the blonde horse driver and the copy "Horseplay After Dark"!  :spin:

Why in Sam Hill did you take U.S. 1?  To clinch it?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Roadrunner75

I posted this recently on another thread - If you like airports, like watching planes land right above you, or have kids that do, this little park on the BWI ring road is right next to the approach.  There's a kiddie-park, and a good amount of people there just to watch the planes come in:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.163071,-76.662178,3a,75y,256.16h,91.85t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sg_vT-UyOQhLXG6ef1TfbrQ!2e0

1995hoo

There's a fairly new DDI at the interchange of the Baltimore—Washington Parkway and Arundel Mills Boulevard, although there's no crossover on the west side of the parkway because the road ends there. The DDI replaced an interchange that previously used two roundabouts.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ixnay

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 05, 2014, 03:21:02 PM
Quote from: ixnay on July 05, 2014, 09:33:56 AM
Landmarks?

How about the dearly departed afaik Freestate Raceway on U.S. 1 between Savage and Laurel?  I drove by it one Sunday in 1983 down from Philly (I lived in that area at the time) to visit steprelatives in NoVA.  I remember the billboard with the blonde horse driver and the copy "Horseplay After Dark"!  :spin:

Why in Sam Hill did you take U.S. 1?  To clinch it?

Yes.  Remember, it was a Sunday (albeit a non-holiday summer weekend).  Oh, and that year was a typo.  I meant 1983.  I just corrected it in the previous post (and since then, corrected your quote of it).

And what's with this term "clinching"?  I never saw it before I discovered this site.  (Can't say I like the term.  I prefer to say "collect(ing) a route".)

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

TheOneKEA

Quote from: Alps on July 04, 2014, 10:53:32 AM
I see several reservoirs, but where are the fire roads? And I'm unclear on "artifacts" - I see one rail line through the Patapsco park.

cpzillacus mentioned two of the artifacts already. The remainder of the things that can be found include old stone single-arch bridges, stone culverts, abandoned ROW, several large tunnels and several abandoned bridge abutments. There is an extensive website at http://www.trainweb.org/oldmainline/index.htm that describes the artifacts, with recent and historical photos.

The reservoir fire roads can be found in this book.

Laura

Bridges and fords :

MD 25 Fun:

• If you're into streetcars, the Baltimore Streetcar Museum is a really fun and informative place to go. You can ride some of the original cars, too. They're open on weekends and located near the southern terminus of Falls Road (MD 25) in the city. http://www.baltimorestreetcar.org/

• The northern terminus of MD 25 is at an indeterminate point (near Lower Beckleysville Road). However, Falls Road's northern terminus turns into a gravel road at the Baltimore/Carroll Counties lines. It's so fascinating to drive the road from south to north to see the dichotomy from city to middle of nowhere.

Scenic Views:

• My favorite view of downtown Baltimore is at Federal Hill Park.

• My favorite view from the streets is driving southbound on Gay Street at the intersection of Chester Ave.

Roads that were meant to be so much more (All of these are in Baltimore County. There are stubs and random areas of these roads that are massively overpowered):

Other cool stuff:

• Belcamp Road/Riverside Parkway in Harford County has been realigned twice. The original alignment of Belcamp is now a trail, and the original alignment of Riverside Parkway still has random pavement in the middle of a field next to a day care. The now removed original intersection of Riverside Parkway with US 40 has a no left turn sign pointing to nothing (I guess to defer people using old GPS routing).

• The Wharf Road interchange spaghetti near Sparrows Point (Baltimore County) is a pretty cool one to see and drive through. It was constructed in the 1940's. https://goo.gl/maps/eclZG

• The MD 24/924 interchange with I-95 has recently been upgraded. MD 24 was made limited access between the I-95 north ramps and Singer Road, with an interchange at MD 24/924.

• Liberty Rd concrete (Carroll Co)
    https://goo.gl/maps/s1WEo

• Westminster - concrete shoulders
    https://goo.gl/maps/8fX0s

• The absolutely weirdest road thing that I can think of that no one knows about is the road to my grandparents' property. The first 216 feet of the road is unpaved because of a road right of way dispute, yet the remainder of the road is paved. Because it's private property, I don't want to reveal the name of the road here...but you can park at the Chase, MD post office and get a good view of it from there.

I will edit this to add map links.

froggie

QuoteIf you're into streetcars, the Baltimore Streetcar Museum is a really fun and informative place to go. You can ride some of the original cars, too. They're open on weekends and located near the southern terminus of Falls Road (MD 25) in the city. http://www.baltimorestreetcar.org/

On that note, the National Capitol Trolley Museum is located in Colesville, on Bonifant Rd between MD 650/New Hampshire Ave and MD 182/Layhill Rd and within view of the ICC.  They also have an original Capital Transit streetcar that one can ride, and several other streetcars in the museum.  As I recall, we used the museum's driveway for a stopping point during one of the ICC meets.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on July 07, 2014, 11:00:36 PM
QuoteIf you're into streetcars, the Baltimore Streetcar Museum is a really fun and informative place to go. You can ride some of the original cars, too. They're open on weekends and located near the southern terminus of Falls Road (MD 25) in the city. http://www.baltimorestreetcar.org/

On that note, the National Capitol Trolley Museum is located in Colesville, on Bonifant Rd between MD 650/New Hampshire Ave and MD 182/Layhill Rd and within view of the ICC.  They also have an original Capital Transit streetcar that one can ride, and several other streetcars in the museum.  As I recall, we used the museum's driveway for a stopping point during one of the ICC meets.

Excellent points.

As a result of the ICC (which was rerouted through the middle of the old museum site), the NCTM is now the most-modern streetcar museum in the world, and most of the new building was funded by ICC construction and mitigation dollars.

Limited operating hours. See: http://www.dctrolley.org/ for details.

Added note - my former boss, who holds a degree from a little engineering school in eastern Massachusetts that you may have heard of, spends a lot of his time working as a volunteer at the museum.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.