News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

People's names as place names

Started by national highway 1, May 22, 2010, 03:09:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

national highway 1

Does anybody know of any places that use people's first names?
Here are some examples:
Moses Lake WA
Eugene OR
Tracy CA
Brenda AZ
Cameron AZ
Florence AZ
Salome AZ
Angela MT
Anna IL
Anthony TX
Jacob Lake AZ
Beatrice NE
Vivian OK
Enid OK
Ada OK
Norman OK
Lawrence KS
Lake Charles LA
Charlotte NC
Alice TX
Salina UT
Eunice NM
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

J N Winkler

In the case of Lawrence, Kansas, the town takes the last name of its eponym (Amos Lawrence).

In Mexico there are quite a few cities and geographical features which take the first name and first last name (primer apellido) of famous Mexicans and are often shortened to just the last name on signs.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

huskeroadgeek

Quote from: ausinterkid on May 22, 2010, 03:09:30 AM

Beatrice NE
This one was indeed named after someone(the daughter of the city's founder), but it is not pronounced like the name usually is-instead of BEE-uh-triss, it's pronounced bee-AT-triss. The way someone pronounces this is the surest way to identify an outsider in Nebraska.

Also, there are some instances of where a city(usually the county seat) is the first name of the person for whom the county that it is in is named for. Nebraska has 2 of these-David City in Butler County, named after David Butler, the first governor of Nebraska and just north of that is Schuyler in Colfax County named after Schuyler Colfax who was Vice President during President Ulysses S. Grant's first term of office. Along that same line in Kansas is Ulysses in Grant County-named after the aforementioned President Ulysses S. Grant.

SP Cook

WV:

Eleanor, named for FDR's wife, in Putnam County.  It was one of five "new deal" project towns around the country. 

Nearby is "Black Betsy" named for a local black lady who founded a folk medicine hospital (as with all "new deal" project towns, Eleanor was 100% whites only). 

Ellenboro, in Ritchie County, named for Ellen Williamson, daughter of the B&O railroad predident.

Elizabeth, the county seat of Wirt County, named for Elizabeth Beauchamp, the wife of the town's founder.

Jane Lew, in Lewis County, named for Jane Lou Lewis, the mother of a local developer.  Corrupted from "Jane Lou".

Bryant5493

In Georgia:

Hampton, which is in Clayton County
Tyrone, which is in Fayette County
Roberta, which is in Crawford County

-----------

Those all that I can think of off of the top of my head.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jdb1234

njroadhorse

- Edison, NJ
- Wayne, NJ
- Paterson, NJ
- Ewing, NJ
- Washington, NJ
- Franklin, NJ
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

golden eagle

Quote from: Bryant5493 on May 22, 2010, 08:20:42 AM
In Georgia:

Hampton, which is in Clayton County
Tyrone, which is in Fayette County
Roberta, which is in Crawford County

-----------

Those all that I can think of off of the top of my head.

Be well,

Bryant

Don't forget Savannah, Marietta, Rome and Augusta. My grandmother's late friend was named Augusta.

In Mississippi:

Brandon
Clinton
Flora
Florence
Hernando
Houston
Jackson
Laurel
Lawrence
Lena
Louise
Madison
Marion
Magnolia (WLBT-TV anchorwoman Maggie Wade's given first name is Magnolia)
Morton
Newton
Pearl
Prentiss
Purvis
Raymond
Rome
Sharon
Terry
Winona

I know some names, like Jackson and Morton, are commonly used as last names. Heck, Ole Miss' football coach is Houston Nutt.

I'm sure I'll have more names later when I can think of them.

bugo

Quote from: golden eagle on May 22, 2010, 08:43:08 PM
Ole Miss' football coach is Houston Nutt.

Which is something I am grateful for.

kurumi

LeMars, Iowa was reportedly assembled from the first names of six ladies who arrived with an investor: Lucy Underhill, Elizabeth Parson, Mary Weare, Anna Blair, Rebecca Smith and Sarah Reynolds.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

agentsteel53

the state of Indiana is named after a famous archaeologist.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

allniter89

BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

national highway 1

Ahh.. the split of I-70 & I-270 in Maryland:
Frederick, MD
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

golden eagle

What about Ann Arbor? Ann Arbor is not a proper name, but the wives of present-day Ann Arbor's founders were both named Ann and that "arbor" represent that burr oak tree that was on the land the founders bought from the federal government.

J N Winkler

Rachel, Nevada (named after an actual baby Rachel).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

froggie

For those of you just naming cities and towns, how do you know these weren't last names?  Most of the non-explained examples could easily have been named for last names instead.  Mr. Winkler already pointed out one such example.

golden eagle

Quote from: froggie on May 23, 2010, 09:51:07 AM
For those of you just naming cities and towns, how do you know these weren't last names?  Most of the non-explained examples could easily have been named for last names instead.  Mr. Winkler already pointed out one such example.

In the case of Jackson, MS, you are right, since it was named for Andrew Jackson. But I do know people whose first name is Jackson and a co-worker named her son Rome.

Ian

From Wikipedia...

-Annapolis, MD (Anne of Great Britain)
-Ansonia, CT (Anson Greene Phelps)
-Augusta, ME (daughter of Henry Dearborn)
-Bennington, VT (colonial governor Benning Wentworth)
-Bennington, NH (same as above)
-Bradley, ME (Bradley Blackman-settler)
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Jim Thorpe, Pa. yet.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Bryant5493

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 22, 2010, 10:49:19 PM
the state of Indiana is named after a famous archaeologist.

I just got that. :-D :-D

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

golden eagle

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Albert Lea, MN. Here's a Wikipedia entry on who he is:

The city is named after Albert Miller Lea, a topographer with the United States Dragoons, who surveyed southern Minnesota and northern Iowa in 1835, including the current site of Albert Lea.[4] Captain Nathan Boone, a son of Daniel Boone, was the scout for Lea's unit.

Albert Lea received national attention in 1959 after Local 6 of the United Packinghouse Workers of America went on strike against Wilson & Co. (one of the Big Four meatpacking plants at the time) over issues involving mandatory overtime requirements.[5] When Wilson & Co. attempted to operate the plant with replacement workers, violence erupted and split the town. During the 109-day strike, Governor Orville Freeman acted to quell the violence by closing the plant, calling in the Minnesota National Guard, and (on December 11) declaring martial law.[6] A Federal district court in Minneapolis ruled against the Governor on December 23, and the plant turned back to Wilson & Co. just days later.[7]

74/171FAN

Prince George, VA(named in honor of Queen Anne's husband Prince George of Denmark according to Wikipedia)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Bryant5493

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.